Holy cow, just booked my first RCCL cruise after 20 straight DCL cruises!

socababy

DIS Veteran
Just booked the Oct. 19-28, 2017 out of Maryland. This cruise will just be my boyfriend and I, leaving the kids at home. This cruise is to celebrate the big 4-0.

Wow, I know nothing about RCCL. Guess I need to start researching. So happy there is a section here on the DIS!

Welcome to the "Dark Side" - LOL! it will be fun . . .

If it's out of Maryland it will probably be one of the slightly older smaller ships. So be ready for that adjustment.

If it's out of Maryland it will probably be one of the slightly older smaller ships. So be ready for that adjustment.

I was going to say the same thing. I love RCCL, but I don't think I would like Grandeur. I like bigger and newer.

I just booked a smaller, older ship out of tampa for January 2017-Rhapsody. I think it will be just fine. Sure I'll miss the Disney magic touches but it's better than no cruise. I think just expecting different will make it ok

I took my first RCCL cruise after 8 straight Disney Cruises back in March. I was on the newer Anthem and they where a lot things I liked about the ship but to be honest I missed cruising with Disney. I hope your experience is better than mine.

Yes I was reading about how much smaller the Granduer is. I hope we're not disappointed! I think I'm more looking forward to exploring new states/ports than I am the ship itself. I looked at Disney's sailings leaving from NY and I just like this itinerary and price tag much better.

I did, however, move our cruise to Sept. I was reading how cold October could be and while I don't mind if it is cold, I would mind it being wet and cold! Hahahaha This California girl doesn't do well with wet and cold!

I find that the cruise staff on the smaller RCCL ships go out of their way to make sure you are having a great time and to get to know you. You will have a blast.

We sailed the Splendour of the Seas out of Dubai in January (definitely one of the smallest and oldest ships RCCL had to offer!) They had just done a renovation on the ship and Thompson Cruises took it over in April.

The stateroom was pretty much the same as the one we usually get on DCL except for the lack of a split bath. But with just two of us on this trip, one bathroom was fine. I actually felt there was more storage space. There were some signs of wear and tear in the public areas, but the entire ship was very clean and crew extremely attentive.

Enjoy your trip!

I find that the cruise staff on the smaller RCCL ships go out of their way to make sure you are having a great time and to get to know you. You will have a blast.

This is always what I have assumed but have yet to experience. I love getting to know the wait staff and joking with them every night. I assume on the smaller ships you get to know more of the bartenders and other crew members. They're usually all so friendly and eager to please if you take 5 minutes to have a conversation with them.

Me too after 15 Disney Cruises. We will be on The Oasis of the Seas.

I just booked a smaller, older ship out of tampa for January 2017-Rhapsody. I think it will be just fine. Sure I'll miss the Disney magic touches but it's better than no cruise. I think just expecting different will make it ok

We also just booked the Rhapsody for January 21st 2017. We've done 9 Disney cruises and just wanted a different itinerary.

We just got back on Sunday from our first RCI cruise on the Liberty out of Galveston. We had a great time. We found the crew to be just as helpful and friendly as DCL and they were genuinely happy when you took the time to talk to them about their life on board and away from their families - no difference there we didn't think. Our personal opinion was that the food in the MDR and the buffet wasn't as good as DCL but overall we had a great experience.

We just got back on Sunday from our first RCI cruise on the Liberty out of Galveston. We had a great time. We found the crew to be just as helpful and friendly as DCL and they were genuinely happy when you took the time to talk to them about their life on board and away from their families - no difference there we didn't think. Our personal opinion was that the food in the MDR and the buffet wasn't as good as DCL but overall we had a great experience.

So good to hear you had a good time!!!

We're booked on the RCCL Serenade next February. This is after having been on 26 DCL cruises! This is a 10 day southern Caribbean. Couldn't pass up the deal. We're also booked on the MSC Seaside for April 2018. The ship is still being built. We're definitely going to be cruising out of our comfort zone!

I am in the same "boat" as the rest of you. After being an avid & loyal Disney cruiser, we just booked our first cruise (last minute deal) on Royal Caribbean, Oasis of the Seas. We will be sailing in less than 4 weeks. We have been really wanting a family getaway & just can't justify the cost of Disney all the time anymore. Our 7 Day Cruise on the Oasis, for our family of 4, in an superior oceanview large balcony room, totaled $1800. The same cruise, the same week for our family on Disney would have been $5000. So, yes, we too are switching to the dark side. This will be interesting to see how our cruise goes next month. I'm a little excited.

I am in the same "boat" as the rest of you. After being an avid & loyal Disney cruiser, we just booked our first cruise (last minute deal) on Royal Caribbean, Oasis of the Seas. We will be sailing in less than 4 weeks. We have been really wanting a family getaway & just can't justify the cost of Disney all the time anymore. Our 7 Day Cruise on the Oasis, for our family of 4, in an superior oceanview large balcony room, totaled $1800. The same cruise, the same week for our family on Disney would have been $5000. So, yes, we too are switching to the dark side. This will be interesting to see how our cruise goes next month. I'm a little excited.

Please let us know what you think. We are sailing the Oasis over Christmas. Would love to know what you think of the restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter