• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Holy Cow! Chik-fil-a Backed Down

What has changed? I thought it was always the owner made charitable contributions to anti-gay groups with the money he earned and that CFA did not contribute.

What I do with the money I earn from my job is mine to donate. It is not a reflection on the company. I think the owner is make poor charitable donation choices and he may think the same of mine.

I totally agree but that wasn't the case here. Chick Fil A, the corporation, wholly owns the Winshape Foundation which was funding the hate groups. It wasn't that the owner was making donations with his money. Chick Fil A was through the foundation they own.

Yep, the actual Chick Fil A company was supporting various causes. Now the money has to go through Dan Cathy. Mr. Cathy has not said he will stop donating to anti-homosexual organizations but the company itself will stop donating.

Buying from Chick Fil A still puts money in Dan Cathy's pocket. What he will do with his money is his business but I think I would prefer not to contribute to his donations.

I like this statement, I like it a lot.

I stood in line that day and waited 30 minutes for my meal at an off time, 3 o'clock in the afternoon. I for one, saw, felt, heard, sensed in every way possible a presence of patriotism.

I'm not saying that going to CFA on a day huckabee announced made me patriotic, but when people come together, to show support, (for anything, really) it's different to experience this. With that being said... it is in my 2 cents that I feel this company should do whatever they want with their money, however they want. If people want to accept their money talking about God, and the Bible.. then so what? I can tell you that you don't have to go far for teachers and professors to cast their opinion or sway students going to normal schools in your neighborhoods who do the same for opposing views. I'm done... carry on :)

It's patriotic to support a company for openly supporting groups that seek to suppress your fellow Americans?
I consider my self a pretty darn patriotic person, and in fact I'd say it's that patriotism that gets me so fired up about this issue! I LOVE America and even though it's not perfect I'm so proud of the ideas it represents, and I'd say that seeking to oppress a group of people based on your religious beliefs is in fact a very un-American act.

...ah, yes that paragon of fair-minded and balanced evaluation! I consider much of what's been said here about CFA to be demonizing propaganda.

Demonizing propaganda? I watched an interview with one of the leaders of a anti-gay group supported by Chick Fil-A that said out right that gay behavior should have criminal repercussions.

It's patriotic to support a company for openly supporting groups that seek to suppress your fellow Americans?
I consider my self a pretty darn patriotic person, and in fact I'd say it's that patriotism that gets me so fired up about this issue! I LOVE America and even though it's not perfect I'm so proud of the ideas it represents, and I'd say that seeking to oppress a group of people based on your religious beliefs is in fact a very un-American act.
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

The DISboards needs a "like" button :thumbsup2

I want to hear more of this story. Was there such a huge loss in profits that CFA made a business decision? Did someone have a change of opinion? I'm just not so sure about any of this. It will be interesting to see how some of their biggest supporters react if this story is completely true. I can't wait to see how all of this plays out.

I want to hear more of this story. Was there such a huge loss in profits that CFA made a business decision? Did someone have a change of opinion? I'm just not so sure about any of this. It will be interesting to see how some of their biggest supporters react if this story is completely true. I can't wait to see how all of this plays out.

Yeah, wonder how the million moms are going to take the news.

Amen.....

This can't be quoted enough!

Not necessarily. Many towns' voters have voted to block businesses from coming to their municipality.

The next town over from me has successfully kept Wal-Mart from expanding into their city for numerous years. And believe me, they have tried hard.

The voters are very vocal in not wanting Wal-Mart in their community.

Blocking CFA wouldn't be any different than blocking any other business.

This is true. They wanted to put a Walmart in my college town. However, the city wouldn't allow it, afraid it would ruin the "small college town feel." So Walmart built in the next zip-code over... still close enough to get business from college students, but not within the city.

And that Walmart gets a lot of business from college students! My college town could've really profitted from the taxes. However, it wasn't worth it to them to build a huge Walmart Superstore in the middle of our small town (a Bi-Lo is in the place of where Walmart wanted to build).

Yep, the actual Chick Fil A company was supporting various causes. Now the money has to go through Dan Cathy. Mr. Cathy has not said he will stop donating to anti-homosexual organizations but the company itself will stop donating.

Buying from Chick Fil A still puts money in Dan Cathy's pocket. What he will do with his money is his business but I think I would prefer not to contribute to his donations.

My feelings exactly, Bill. There's lots of places I can choose for cheap drive-thru food. CFA is off my list until its corporate "unwritten" philosophy displays tolerance for all people, of all beliefs or lack of beliefs.

I didn't care what they did with their money before and I still don't.

lol... you're kidding right?? I'm trying to tread softly here while on the dis, for fear of offending anyone... and I don't want to get too serious, so I'm just going to say that you can probably figure out what I'm getting to as far as main stream media and the ways schools tend to sway students with their thinking. It wasn't long since I graduated high school myself, about 10 years ago, and I can speak from experience that teachers tried to put too much unnecessary input on their students. That's all!! I'm out. :)

Being a current student, I can say this is not the case. At all. Teachers often avoid topics altogether for fear of saying their opinions in case a student takes offense and reports them.

To get back on topic, I am extremely happy to hear that at least the company's money won't be backing those awful hate groups. I doubt it was a change of heart, but whatever works.

Being a current student, I can say this is not the case. At all. Teachers often avoid topics altogether for fear of saying their opinions in case a student takes offense and reports them.

To get back on topic, I am extremely happy to hear that at least the company's money won't be backing those awful hate groups. I doubt it was a change of heart, but whatever works.

While I don't fully agree with what the other poster was saying, and it's not always too the extreme that was mentioned, I think you are lucky that you don't have that in your classes. I've been to a lot of schools (sadly I've bounced around a bit), and every single one of them have had teachers or professors that thought it was their duty to educate the students on their own politics. This takes a huge turn once you get in to college, where you see it all the more frequently in my experience.

I won't boycott a company because of what someone who works there supports even if those people are at the highest level. I don't know what each management person at every company supports and I won't even try to go there. I am glad that the company itself will no longer donate but I find it sad that this is even a topic of discussion. I will never understand the mindset that wants to keep gay people from marrying.

I have noticed that Texans have turned the local Chik-fil-a's into traffic nightmares. You rarely pass one that doesn't have lines of cars wrapped around the building.

I like this statement, I like it a lot.

I stood in line that day and waited 30 minutes for my meal at an off time, 3 o'clock in the afternoon. I for one, saw, felt, heard, sensed in every way possible a presence of patriotism.

I'm not saying that going to CFA on a day huckabee announced made me patriotic, but when people come together, to show support, (for anything, really) it's different to experience this. With that being said... it is in my 2 cents that I feel this company should do whatever they want with their money, however they want. If people want to accept their money talking about God, and the Bible.. then so what? I can tell you that you don't have to go far for teachers and professors to cast their opinion or sway students going to normal schools in your neighborhoods who do the same for opposing views. I'm done... carry on :)

I ... a presence of patriotism?

When people come together to show support for anything, there's the presence of patriotism?

If that were the case, then people screaming at some little girls on their way to school in Alabama felt a great presence of patriotism.

The people jeering and throwing things at suffragettes would have felt a great sense of patriotism.

A lot of people in white outfits with matches and rope felt a great sense of patriotism.

Honestly, they probably all did. They probably all felt they were defending what they thought this country should be. They were all desperately, horribly, sadly wrong.

We as a nation thought that close to the very first thing we should do is declare our belief that ALL men are created equal and endowed with unalienable rights. There's nothing in there about 'except if they ....' Patriotism relating to this country I'd think would reflect that, not any group gathering to support anything, even bigotry, hate, or nonsense.

I am glad to see that the CORPORATION will no longer be donating to anti-gay causes. Too bad they did not do this before my recent trip to the US--I missed having chicken nuggest and waffle fries :rotfl:

There is no gay "lifestyle" per se. People who are gay have just as many different lifestyles as anyone else. A lifestyle is a choice in how to live. It might include being vegetarian or travelling a lot or having certain religious beliefs. It does not have anything to do with who you are wired to love, what color your skin is, whether you are right or left handed, or how tall you are (ie--things you cannot control).

The only "agenda" I am aware of is securing equal rights. :confused3 I find it shocking and sad that in these times we are still denying rights to an entire class of people in the first place.

The discussion of equal rights for homosexuals often confuses different topics as it has here. It is not about acceptance or tolerance, it is about equal civil rights in the eyes of the law. (General) you can think homosexuality is wrong, a choice, a sin, or anything else. No on wants to police your thoughts. What you shouldn't be able to do is base someone's civil rights on what you feel is or isn't a sin.

I think adultery is wrong, in some situations I feel abortion is wrong. I do not want adulterers stripped of any of their civil rights and I'm pro-chioce. It isn't what a person thinks that is at the heart of this issue, it is what the government uses as a reason to give one group of American citizens a different set of rights than another group of American citizens. The granting of equal rights to gay Americans does not harm anyone who is not gay. It isn't taking rights away from us and giving it to them. It isn't a zero sum game.

I don't and never cared about what the owner believes in his heart. I choose not to go to CFA because a portion of the profits were actively funding what I consider a hate group.

Another fan of this excellent post here:thumbsup2

And I'll add. Do we, as a country, really want to start legislating based on one specific religion's beliefs? If we start doing that how are we "better" than Iran or Afghanistan? I'm not Christian.
A FANTASTIC point which I think is extremely important and unfortunately not often brought up.

Married hetero woman chiming in here ...
There is no gay agenda :rolleyes2 Thinking that allowing gays to have the same rights as heteros means you are forced to accept their lifestyle doesn't make sense. That is like saying, allowing people of religious faiths (that are different from yours) to get married, means that you are demanded to accept their lifestyle, choices and beliefs. Clearly, since people of all faiths, differing faiths and even no faith can get married in this country (so long as they are hetero) it is of no consequence to you and those who belive as you do. It doesn't change your faith or beliefs. You aren't forced to accept or even learn about other religions. I do not see how allowing gays to have the same rights to marry the person they love is any different. It doesn't affect you in any way, shape or form. A marriage is based on love, trust, respect, support, and faith in one another. It is not based on gender.

Another most excellent post here :thumbsup2

and yet another one :thumbsup2
BECAUSE I love my country, I want to see that its ideals are upheld throughout its laws an lands and I am patriotic enough to fight for that in a number of ways.

I ... a presence of patriotism?

Yes, in support of first amendment rights, to believe and say what you wish, however distasteful it may be.

Honestly, they probably all did. They probably all felt they were defending what they thought this country should be. They were all desperately, horribly, sadly wrong.

And they were. They are defending the right of the people to free thought and speech, no matter whether or not the majority or minority agrees. Or whether or not you or the DIS agree.

People are still free to be idiots.

And I suppose just who is the idiot depends upon exactly which side you are on.

The day all people in this country think and speak and act the same is the day that we cease to be Americans.

Yes, in support of first amendment rights, to believe and say what you wish, however distasteful it may be.

And they were. They are defending the right of the people to free thought and speech, no matter whether or not the majority or minority agrees. Or whether or not you or the DIS agree.

The day all people in this country think and speak and act the same is the day that we cease to be Americans.

I don't expect or want everyone to think alike.. And I support chick fil a's right to send money to a hate group that supports the killing of gays. and I support my right to never spend a penny there no matter how much they decide to back track, and I feel very patriotic every time I drive by chic fil a and flip them the bird.

I don't understand the bolded.

What had to do with free speech or the First Amendment or whose First Amendment rights??

No one was trying to stop him from believing or saying whatever he wanted (though customers boycotting to stop him from doing those things would of course have nothing to do with free speech even if they were). They wanted the company to stop donating to particular groups. They decided to boycott to try to cause that policy change.

What has to do with free speech or the right to believe whatever?

If this had been about free speech, it wouldn't have happened. I don't think I've ever seen a big anti-free speech rally.

I'll stand up with a KKK loon to protect his right to spew his idiocy - proudly. Because that's enshrined in the Constitution and is the very foundation of the system of government and justice that we proudly inherited.

This had nothing to do with that. Why say it did?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter