Holiday World: Santa Claus, Indiana.

I feel compelled to dissent: if this is your main family trip this summer, I would definitely do Gatlinburg over Holiday World. Dollywood and Dixie Stampede are also very nice, the Island, Ripley's Aquarium PLUS the national parks and loads of outdoor activities. There is just so much more to do in Gatlinburg.

Yeah this was our first plan but...

Dollywood - $60
Ripleys - $30
Mountain Coaster - $23

This is before eating, lodging, etc. It was going to cost us about $200 per person for a 2 day trip. We can do Holiday World for roughly $60 per person. Quite a big savings plus its a much shorter drive. They prefer the theme/water park anyway. They wanted to go back to Kentucky Kingdom but I wouldn't agree to it after the mess that park was in last year.

We do this summer road trip as a birthday for 3 of my family/friends. We have birthdays on May 30th, June 3rd, and June 14th so instead of presents, I take them on a road trip every year. With me footing the bill for the 3 b day people plus myself, the savings over what Gatlinburg is def worth it.

We love Holiday World. I want to rent a cabin and take the Grandkids this year. While I am not sure if she is still there, we use to see the owner out sweeping the park every time we were there! I read it was voted the cleanest park in America, and I believe it. I use to love the roller coasters, but I agree, they do bang you around, so I pass on them now. Many of the rides are the older ones, but its fun for my kids because its so different than WDW and Universal. They love the water park! We have never rented a cabin, but there will be 8 of us going, so it seemed pretty reasonable for that size group. It is going to be nice to have a home base. I am also thinking about renting a cabana. You can check on the website for the menus to see that the food is really reasonable too.

Would this be a reasonable drive from Bloomington? We are visiting family in July, but 8 days of togetherness is a lot of togetherness! Would you make it a day trip, or overnight? It'd be me, DH, DD22, boyfriend23.

Yeah this was our first plan but...

Dollywood - $60
Ripleys - $30
Mountain Coaster - $23

This is before eating, lodging, etc. It was going to cost us about $200 per person for a 2 day trip. We can do Holiday World for roughly $60 per person. Quite a big savings plus its a much shorter drive. They prefer the theme/water park anyway. They wanted to go back to Kentucky Kingdom but I wouldn't agree to it after the mess that park was in last year.

We do this summer road trip as a birthday for 3 of my family/friends. We have birthdays on May 30th, June 3rd, and June 14th so instead of presents, I take them on a road trip every year. With me footing the bill for the 3 b day people plus myself, the savings over what Gatlinburg is def worth it.

That definitely makes sense and go with what the kids prefer!!

Would this be a reasonable drive from Bloomington? We are visiting family in July, but 8 days of togetherness is a lot of togetherness! Would you make it a day trip, or overnight? It'd be me, DH, DD22, boyfriend23.

Its about 2 hours, so it would be an easy day trip.

We love Holiday World. It's only a couple hours from our home in Kentucky and we go every year. Its extremely clean, they do excellent with gluten free food options, the food and tickets are reasonably priced, and they are so friendly. There aren't a lot of lodging options in the area or dining options outside the parks but the park food is pretty good. The free drinks saves tons of money.

As the first "theme" park (before Disney), Holiday World is an icon. The park is clean, wonderful, and a great family destination. I've had season tickets for 20 years, and go at least 15 times a year. You'll love it!

We live about 2 hours away and go for a day once a year. It is a really fun day, if you have never been you could probably make 2 days out of it plus camping stuff. It is nice and clean. We really enjoy it. We wouldn't rank it with Disney in many ways but we probably have about as much fun the day we go with less crowds, hassle, travel and costs.

We are going to Holiday World in August. We are staying at the campground in a rented RV. Does anyone know where the closest grocery store is? We're planning to eat breakfast and lunch in the camper. Also, are there any ways to score good deals at the park? For example, coupons like people talked about, what is the coupon for. where do I get it? Is there anywhere to buy discounted gift cards like Disney? Do they have a front of the line type pass like you can buy at Six Flags or Dollywood? Any other tips to help? My Mom, sister and I are taking my 2 oldest 14 and 12 and my nephew 6.

It's a nice park. It's super clean and well maintained. We spent a day there in May and had a great time. They are able to accommodate many dietary needs as well, which was a pleasant surprise.

That being said, they don't have many rides for older kids who are still under 48 inches. My 6 year old is 47 and 1/2 and had limited riding options that weren't for toddlers.

Also, be careful with lake rudolf. We rented a rv thinking it was a great option. We were wrong. The flooring was pulling up, creating a trip hazard while we carried our baby around the rv. There was dirt laying on a bunk bed. I had to clean it so my children wouldn't get dirty while they explored. It was also infested with ants. They were climbing all over the floors, kitchen, walls, and occasionally us! We complained after the first night and were put in a new cabin, which was nice, but we were put off by that point. Plus, it was inconvenient packing up a family of 5 to move for the night. The cabin didn't have enough hot water for 2 adults to shower the next morning and the towel bar was laying on the sink. My husband just fixed it instead of having to wait for maintenance again.

We'll be back to holiday world someday but not the campground.

It's a nice park. It's super clean and well maintained. We spent a day there in May and had a great time. They are able to accommodate many dietary needs as well, which was a pleasant surprise.

That being said, they don't have many rides for older kids who are still under 48 inches. My 6 year old is 47 and 1/2 and had limited riding options that weren't for toddlers.

Also, be careful with lake rudolf. We rented a rv thinking it was a great option. We were wrong. The flooring was pulling up, creating a trip hazard while we carried our baby around the rv. There was dirt laying on a bunk bed. I had to clean it so my children wouldn't get dirty while they explored. It was also infested with ants. They were climbing all over the floors, kitchen, walls, and occasionally us! We complained after the first night and were put in a new cabin, which was nice, but we were put off by that point. Plus, it was inconvenient packing up a family of 5 to move for the night. The cabin didn't have enough hot water for 2 adults to shower the next morning and the towel bar was laying on the sink. My husband just fixed it instead of having to wait for maintenance again.

We'll be back to holiday world someday but not the campground.
It's very expensive too!

We are going to Holiday World in August. We are staying at the campground in a rented RV. Does anyone know where the closest grocery store is? We're planning to eat breakfast and lunch in the camper. Also, are there any ways to score good deals at the park? For example, coupons like people talked about, what is the coupon for. where do I get it? Is there anywhere to buy discounted gift cards like Disney? Do they have a front of the line type pass like you can buy at Six Flags or Dollywood? Any other tips to help? My Mom, sister and I are taking my 2 oldest 14 and 12 and my nephew 6.
The closest grocery store is Holiday Foods, which is across the street. I wouldn't bother with leaving the parks for lunch. The food in the park isn't that expensive. If you really want to eat 2 meals in the RV, make it breakfast and dinner.

You can get coupons for discounted admission on Pepsi cans and Bunny Bread wrappers, but the cheapest way to get tickets is to buy them at Santa's Candy Castle. Grocery stores in the area also sell them at a discount.

There aren't any discounted gift cards (in fact, I don't think they have gift cards at all.) No front of the line pass, either.

Do Splashin' Safari in the morning and Holiday World in the afternoon.

We love Holiday World, very good price plus drinks are free and sunscreen..parking is also free...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter