Holiday insurance nightmare

cornish pixie

DIS Veteran
Hi haven't been on these boards for quite as while as sadly back in August just before we were due to return for a 3 week trip hubbie was diagnosed with a brain tumour . Totally out of the blue originally it was a low grade but to cut a long story short he had surgery to debulk in December and we were given the news that it was a grade 3 . Anyway he has just finished 6 weeks of radiotherapy and hopefully that will do it's job . The problem we are having is trying to get insurance . We already had a trip booked for April 30 th this year which was done before all of this happened so can claim back on our insurance but we really want to go and our oncologist is happy for us to go and happy to sign anything etc but can we get insurance no !
I was wondering if anyone here might know of or experienced anything similar and could recommend anyone . We have tried a lot . Our Bank insurance who we generally use will cover everything but the glioma ( Gary got a DVT from the op as well so having frag in every day ) safest person to fly apparently . The sticking question seems to be has the tumour been totally removed or shrunk . Well we have been told they can't get all of it due to the position as it's near the brain stem but hopefully with the 60% and now the radiotherapy it will be even less but that we can't tell . Sorry to go on in desperate need of some Disney magic but afordable we did get one quote that said they might be able to but that was £1500 and up and just for Gary !
Anyway look forward to hearing from anyone many thanks
Cornish Pixie x

I'm sorry to hear about your husband.

I don't know of any companies personally - have you tried asking Macmillan? We are raising money for them this year at work and we had someone come in to talk to us about there work and I know they have a lot of information...

Try https://www.maggiescentres.org/ if they don't have one nearish to you, they have online help. I know our Maggie's Centre which originated in Edinburgh have a list of insurers that do accept cancer patients but I can't say what sort of price you would need to pay.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband and hope he continues to recover well.

Have you tried Circle Cover (circlecover dot com)? My DH has been seriously ill over the last 6 months. It took over 3 months and 2 hospital stays to get a diagnosis (bullous pemphigoid) then, similar to your husband, he ended up back in hospital with a bilateral pulmonary embolism caused by the prolonged hospital stays. We also have a holiday coming up, in May, booked before he became ill. Our annual travel insurance policy is due for renewal next week but our current insurer (Insure & Go) now won't cover any of his medical conditions because of the pulmonary embolism. I despaired of finding someone to cover us and spent a great deal of time looking but then came across Circle Cover. It's an excellent policy, actually identical to the one we had before because it's the same underwriters, and worked out cheaper than I'd expected (about £500 for the year). It turned out to be administered by Insure & Go and their people have always been friendly and helpful - we had to make a claim last year because DH was taken ill in the US (an extremely expensive experience) and had no problems, even when after submitting the claim we unexpectedly received a further invoice.

Obviously insurers assess every risk individually so I don't know if they will provide cover for your DH, but they are certainly worth a try.

I hope you can get cover and enjoy your holiday. I know only too well that you must both need it, and it's good that the medics have said your DH can travel. We are still waiting for the go ahead. Let's hope that we all get to benefit from some Disney recuperation soon!

I have a long list of medical conditions some of which are chronic and incurable. I found a reasonable quotation from coverwise.co.uk might be worth giving them a call and see what they can do. I found them very helpful and professional when I have had to call them to let them know that I am now on medication for one of my conditions, and the best bit they didn't charge me anymore!

Thanks you for all your advice information and well wishes It really means a lot . Anyway can't quite believe it after what has been a whirlwind few months and after talking to what seems like endless insurance companies we have got insurance with Insurewith. It seems the fact that Gary's treatment has now finished they are happy to insure us single trip . We've been dancing around the house like lunatics and blubbering our poor jack russel Bertie doesn't know what's going on lol!!
Thank you Elise79 ,Edingburghlass, tigger137, & CindysGlassSlipper
Anyway some. Disney magic found it's way to us sorry to sound cheesy but that's what it feels like.
Anyway today we will be planning Disney parks not hospital appointments for a while . Hopefully in 3 months time when we have our next scan the radiotherapy will have shrunk Paul as we have named it ! We really hope that you and your husband get the go ahead tigger137 and you enjoy your trip CindyGlassSlipper
Love to you all xxxx

Cornish Pixie
So pleased to hear your good news!
Hope you have an absolutely wonderful time.

Great news, are you set for 30th April, we head off on 5 May and while do don't plan much at all not even FP's I am following the news of Rivers of Light at AK.

So pleased you can go. I had major surgery last year and the thought of our trip kept me going and was extra special once there. Enjoy your much deserved holiday and best wishes for your husbands recovery.

Great news, are you set for 30th April, we head off on 5 May and while do don't plan much at all not even FP's I am following the news of Rivers of Light at AK.
Yep we fly out on the 30th April , like you we are going to take it easy have booked a few FP's but if we don't do them it really doesn't matter . Keep looking for update on the Rivers of light but as of yet nothing and the park hours for animal kingdom doesn't seem to have changed . Also wondering about the Anna And Elsa ride (the old malstorm ) not sure if ai have spelt that right but think there saying it's opening around the 27 th of May so after our return but who knows they might do some soft openings ? Hope you have a gat trip x

Enjoy! So happy for you! We are out there at the same time!
Have a fab time tried to get poly for our second week but couldn't get the whole week with DVC points and really didn't fancy having to pack up after a few days so being positive and saying we hope to get it next time : )
Enjoy and have fun x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter