Holiday Inn Timeshare

DisneyDoesMyHair

Mouseketeer
I’m just wondering if anyone is familiar with the Holiday Inn timeshare presentation deals in Orlando? Have any of you done this in the past? IHG rewards contacted me this evening out of the blue, asking me if I would like a $249 four day, three night vacation for four in exchange for a two hour presentation where my husband and I must both be present. If we attend, they said we would get $149 in cash returned. By the end of the call, they offered to refund all of my $249 in exchange for attending. This deal is a stay in a Holiday Inn partner hotel, and can be booked any time of year, with no blackout dates. Honest opinions, and/or experiences with this company and/or a recent stay would be much appreciated!

I admit I have no direct experience with HICV, but I would not accept the offer. In general timeshare sales presentations are high pressure and filled with misleading statements if not downright lies. If you go, be prepared to spend much longer than two hours there and to continue to say NO over and over with increasing firmness. You might consider setting the timer on your phone at the start and let the salesman know that when the required time is up, you’re leaving. Do not buy - no matter what they offer, you can buy it resale for thousands of dollars less.

You might want to read some of the posts on the Timeshare Users Group forums, particularly the Buying, Selling and Renting board, before you decide. https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/buying-selling-renting-timeshares.13/

I admit I have no direct experience with HICV, but I would not accept the offer. In general timeshare sales presentations are high pressure and filled with misleading statements if not downright lies. If you go, be prepared to spend much longer than two hours there and to continue to say NO over and over with increasing firmness. You might consider setting the timer on your phone at the start and let the salesman know that when the required time is up, you’re leaving. Do not buy - no matter what they offer, you can buy it resale for thousands of dollars less.

You might want to read some of the posts on the Timeshare Users Group forums, particularly the Buying, Selling and Renting board, before you decide. https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/buying-selling-renting-timeshares.13/
We are not in the market for vacation homes/timeshares at the moment, but the offer did sound enticing for a free vacation. But, as my mom says, “nothing is free.” I’m hoping some folks with chime in with their first-hand experiences with this company. Thank you for the link!

In general timeshare sales presentations are high pressure and filled with misleading statements if not downright lies. If you go, be prepared to spend much longer than two hours there and to continue to say NO over and over with increasing firmness. You might consider setting the timer on your phone at the start and let the salesman know that when the required time is up, you’re leaving. Do not buy - no matter what they offer, you can buy it resale for thousands of dollars less.

I agree. The whole timeshare industry has a sleazy reputation and many are run by fast-talking con-artists. Ask yourself why does anyone needs to sell something using high pressure sales tactics??? In general, they are NOT real estate investments, aren't worth nearly what they charge, involve a lot of hidden costs and become a HUGE liability when you realize they are virtually impossible to resell.

Disney Vacation Club is the exception. No high pressure tactics. No big incentives. I think you might get a $50 GC and a couple of fast passes. Why? Because people who want to buy DVC buy DVC. The agents don't need to give you a song and dance. Anything that needs a strong sell is something you don't want.

I'm not saying don't do the presentation. If you and your husband walk into it with your eyes open, it might be worth it. Just know it will be longer than 2 hours. However long it lasts, it will be time unpleasantly spent. Very often the initial sales person will call in a manager or some other closer. You might have to go through several of them, and you can't leave until they are 100% sure there's no chance you'll buy. I mean, you CAN leave, but if they haven't all signed off, your "free" vacation will convert to rack rate.

If you go, find out in advance which property it is. Do your homework about it. Look at listings in timeshare sales and rentals, and come prepared to show your findings. TUG (timeshare users group) is a great place to start. If you find that people are offering to sell their shares for $1, show that. Some people basically give away their timeshares just to get out of the fees. If you can book a week at the resort through an owner for less than the cost of the annual fees, show that. Point out that it would be foolish to buy something you can rent for even cheaper, with no commitment. Sales people hate it when customers come prepared with the knowledge of what the shares are really worth (hint: not much). Unless it's DVC, it's absolutely not an investment at all.

Sometimes it works to set a timer on your phone, and state you'll give them the 2 hours, but it might not, if the salespeople are really aggressive. Also, if there's a meal offer there, realize the 2 hours probably doesn't "start" until after the meal.

Just make sure the time you're going to invest is worth it. For me, I don't get enough vacation to spend half a day of it in sales purgatory. But if you have the time, and it's a free vacation with half a day of high-pressure sales tactics vs no vacation, then it might be worth sacrificing the time to do it.

Disney Vacation Club is the exception. No high pressure tactics. No big incentives. I think you might get a $50 GC and a couple of fast passes. Why? Because people who want to buy DVC buy DVC. The agents don't need to give you a song and dance. Anything that needs a strong sell is something you don't want.

I'm not saying don't do the presentation. If you and your husband walk into it with your eyes open, it might be worth it. Just know it will be longer than 2 hours. However long it lasts, it will be time unpleasantly spent. Very often the initial sales person will call in a manager or some other closer. You might have to go through several of them, and you can't leave until they are 100% sure there's no chance you'll buy. I mean, you CAN leave, but if they haven't all signed off, your "free" vacation will convert to rack rate.

If you go, find out in advance which property it is. Do your homework about it. Look at listings in timeshare sales and rentals, and come prepared to show your findings. TUG (timeshare users group) is a great place to start. If you find that people are offering to sell their shares for $1, show that. Some people basically give away their timeshares just to get out of the fees. If you can book a week at the resort through an owner for less than the cost of the annual fees, show that. Point out that it would be foolish to buy something you can rent for even cheaper, with no commitment. Sales people hate it when customers come prepared with the knowledge of what the shares are really worth (hint: not much). Unless it's DVC, it's absolutely not an investment at all.

Sometimes it works to set a timer on your phone, and state you'll give them the 2 hours, but it might not, if the salespeople are really aggressive. Also, if there's a meal offer there, realize the 2 hours probably doesn't "start" until after the meal.

Just make sure the time you're going to invest is worth it. For me, I don't get enough vacation to spend half a day of it in sales purgatory. But if you have the time, and it's a free vacation with half a day of high-pressure sales tactics vs no vacation, then it might be worth sacrificing the time to do it.
Thank you for the very detailed reply. I am leaning toward not doing this after checking out TUG and reading the replies.

We stayed there two years ago under a diffrent offer. Its a great place super long lazy river yiu could have a vacation here with out the parks. I am good at the high pressure sales. Dont talk to much and just tell them that all financial decisions go through your planner. If you say its not in our budget or something close they have answers for that. For us it was totally worth it. The presentations start early in the mornings we were done by ten. We look for them on every vacation now.

While I have avoided stuff like this all my life, my opinion has recently changed.

A good friend of my daughter's, and her husband and daughter, attended one last year and got a wonderful mostly free vacation in return. The presentation was early in the morning, had a children's room with licensed child care providers for their daughter during the presentation. I was worried about them doing it, but it turned out great.

They said they were free between 9:00 - 10:00 am, and spent the next few days at a very nice resort, free of charge. It had a water park and they enjoyed their time there. They also spent a day at Disney Springs and got a one-day park ticket and did Epcot (I was shocked not MK with an 8 year old) and all three of them had a blast.

After their experience, I am more likely to give serious thought so such offers. This young couple just straight out told the presenters that they couldn't afford to buy in at this time, and were off the hook easily.

Getting unsolicited travel deal related calls is NEVER a good thing, no matter which company name is attached to it (& I'm a platinum IHG member).

The 'partner' hotel will not be a good one.

The time you spend will not be worth what you get in exchange.

My cousin got a similar call offer & took it. I asked her to read The Unofficial Guide to WDW, the section on timeshares before she goes just so she's prepared. She said it was spot on. She said it was like they had read the book & followed along. So when it said 'next they'll...' That's what they did. 'Then if you say no, they'll...' And again they did exactly that. She was grateful to have the heads up on how they operate AND she'll never again accept such an offer.

I travel a lot. I constantly get called by Hilton & others...offers for Vegas, etc. etc. If I don't reach out to you, I don't book travel. Nuff said.

Is it Orange Lake by any chance? My friend owns there, loves it, and often gets that timeshare presentation rate for friends and family.

I’m just wondering if anyone is familiar with the Holiday Inn timeshare presentation deals in Orlando? Have any of you done this in the past? IHG rewards contacted me this evening out of the blue, asking me if I would like a $249 four day, three night vacation for four in exchange for a two hour presentation where my husband and I must both be present. If we attend, they said we would get $149 in cash returned. By the end of the call, they offered to refund all of my $249 in exchange for attending. This deal is a stay in a Holiday Inn partner hotel, and can be booked any time of year, with no blackout dates. Honest opinions, and/or experiences with this company and/or a recent stay would be much appreciated!
Lol. Stay away....wait runaway.

^^^ I agree. Even with our recent Disney trip, they sent us an 'offer' to attend their Timeshare presentation...........ummm no thanks and we tossed it in the trash.
well said. I might add stay away ....runaway. Hey I have some old screws from the old bridge care to buy them. Lol.

While I have avoided stuff like this all my life, my opinion has recently changed.

A good friend of my daughter's, and her husband and daughter, attended one last year and got a wonderful mostly free vacation in return. The presentation was early in the morning, had a children's room with licensed child care providers for their daughter during the presentation. I was worried about them doing it, but it turned out great.

They said they were free between 9:00 - 10:00 am, and spent the next few days at a very nice resort, free of charge. It had a water park and they enjoyed their time there. They also spent a day at Disney Springs and got a one-day park ticket and did Epcot (I was shocked not MK with an 8 year old) and all three of them had a blast.

After their experience, I am more likely to give serious thought so such offers. This young couple just straight out told the presenters that they couldn't afford to buy in at this time, and were off the hook easily.
No such thing as a free lunch. Read Robert ringers book. Required reading in college

About 10 years ago we got a call from Hilton with the same idea. I don't remember how much we paid but it was around $150 I think. We kept putting off the trip and couldn't do the trip in the allotted time they originally wanted and called them back to say we wanted to extend. They agreed to extend. About 2 years after the initial call I was let go from my job and my wife was unemployed at the time as well, so we called them up to do a last minute vacation since we had no obligations. We ended up staying that the Parc Soleil by Hilton in Orlando. We sat through their presentation and when the presentation was done we told them we were both unemployed and couldn't purchase anything at that time. That was it. We ended up chatting with the sales person for a while because she was from the same town where we were living at that time. We felt it was even less pressure sales than the DVC presentations we have been through.

I have often thought it would be interesting to do all the time share stuff out there and report back, but having a job and life makes it a difficult task.
I'd also like to try every Groupon offer lol.

I agree with all of the above. Don't do it. I get spammed by Hilton and others for these, and my response is always...why would I pay anything to come to a sales pitch?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter