Holiday Inn in Cocoa Beach

BearFan

It's time to do the Bear Cha Cha Cha!
With all this talk both good and bad about the Radison near the port, has anyone ever had an experience with any of the Holiday inns in Cocoa Beach?

I know that there are three different ones nearby, Holiday Inn Express in Cocoa, Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Cocoa Beach and Holiday Inn Oceanside in Cocoa Beach. The first two are what they call "quality preformers" which are done by guest ratings' surveys. I'm leaning toward the HI Oceanside, but there's not a rating on that one. Can anyone let me know their experiences either good or bad with these?

Thanks!
Bearfan

"Was that too orca-ish?"

Don't be confused by the difference between Cocoa and Cocoa Beach. Cocoa is on the mainland, about 10 miles west of the port. Cocoa Beach is on the coast. I don't think you'd want the property in Cocoa just because it's in Cocoa and not Cocoa Beach.

The HI Express in Cocoa Beach is a nice property. It's one of the newer properties listed on my lodging summary. It appears to be well-maintained. And I've heard good anecdotal reports about this property. My only objection to it is that it's across a busy highway and a couple blocks from the beach.

I've strolled the grounds of the Holiday Inn. It's a sprawling complex with several buildings, a HUGE swimming pool, and a really cool kids' swimming pool play structure that's kinda' hard to describe, but would be really cool if you're a kid. BUT... anecdotal reports about this property are unanimous that the rooms are dirty. People who stay here often come onto this board to warn people away from this property.

So of the three, your obvious choice would be the HI Express in Cocoa Beach.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last June (not by choice) due to an emergency at the end of our cruise (FORTUNATELY we had travel insurance but that is another thread) - in fact, Disney Cruise Lines helped put us there at a moments notice.

To my delight as I was staying there alone for a few days while my travelling companion recuperated in the nerarby hospital (his appendix burst the last night of our cruise), the Holiday Inn Express was a very pleasant experience. It was always very clean, the staff was extremely accomodating, the pool and jacuzzi were easily accessible and never very crowded. In fact, I met quite a few DCL cruisers there who were staying just at the end of their cruise or getting ready to cruise.

As for the location, yes, it crosses a busy highway but it's not like a freeway. They do have a crosswalk very nearby, 2 decent restaurants right across the street and a mini mart right next door. Not a lot else to do nearby but that's probably not why you are staying there - did I mention that Cape Canaveral is quite close.

I really can't praise the staff enough as they were very nice, helpful and friendly - of course, they knew the situation I was in and that I was a guest put there by DCL so maybe that made a difference, maybe not. My ONLY complaint is that because of the rush we were to get in the place, I had to switch rooms after 1 night into another room since I didn't have a prior reservation but who's complaining....oh, and the rooms themselves were quite spacious and comfortable.

My humble opinion but I would recommend it!

STAY AWAY from the other Holiday Inn that the one poster said people who stay at that Holiday Inn says stay away from: I AM ONE OF "THOSE PEOPLE". Yuck. This place ws awful! I got it on Priceline for somewhere around $36 or something like that- it's been a while so I don't remember exactly. It was an experience I don't care to remember. We sure didn't stay there for more than 30 minutes. It's nasty. So make sure you choose one of the other ones you talked about- I think this one was "oceanside"- I forget.

We chose to stay at the HI oceanside and was very unhappy. They put us in this REALLY old part that was just one level. We were not going to sleep in the conditions we saw, so we went to the main desk, and I had requested an alternitive room. We were placed in the larger building (oceanview) along will a larger bill! The rooms were somewhat clean, but found little bugs all over one of the counters. Needless to say, we were not very happy, but it was so late, and after driving all day, we just wanted to sleep! As for the staff, I found them very rude. When I very kindly requested a new room, they acted like I was inconviencing them. When we go in 136 days back to the cruise, we will be sure never to stay there!

I don't know about the other Holiday Inn but I can vouch for the HI Express since we stayed there prior to our cruise in June 2001. I believe it had just opened then and was extremely nice. As a matter of fact when we checked in they did not have any more doubles. Since we had made reservations they gave us a suite for the price that we would have paid for the regular room. It was a great way to start a vacation.

Thanks to every one of you who posted. I appreciate you helping me out!

LMS

"Was that too orca-ish?"

Oh No....I just got 2 rooms off of Price line for Cocoa Beach and they are at the Holiday Inn Oceanview. Did anyone have a positive experience??? I guess if it is really terrible it will make me love my cruise cabin all the more....trying to be positive.

Brandi

We've stayed at cocoa beach HI (last time was 2000), we found it worn, but I didn't think it was a dump. The pool was nice, and I like the location and the ability to walk on the beach. Maybe we just didn't pay enough attention as we were really hyped for our cruise the next day. We were planning on staying there again this year.

Make the mistake of staying in a Knights Inn on your way to the cocoa beach HI. After KI, You'll kiss the HI carpeting when you walk through the door.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank you so much for the positive comment....you helped to ease my worry about having rats and roaches!!!! I am happy that you can walk to the beach...the beach is always good!!!

Thanks again,
Brandi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter