• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hojo or Anaheim Plaza?

cberhorst

Earning My Ears
I currently have two hotel reservations for our trip in Mid October (Hojo and Anaheim Plaza) We will be staying 4 nights and I was trying to save money by staying at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel, but Hojo's had a room available the other day, so I booked it too. (It was $108 per night with DIS discount). I will be taking my 2 and 4 year old alone (we are meeting other family members at the park, but they are staying at a different hotel). I really want a safe, clean room and I know my kids would love the pirate water park, but it is $200more to stay at Hojo... I guess my question is, is it worth the extra money????!!?? Thanks for your input!

I have heard people say both that they have felt comfortable, and that they've felt UNCOMFORTABLE walking along the street to HoJo. You may think about that and gage how YOU would feel.

You might also check the usual weather temps for your dates of stay to see if you would even let your children swim in the cooler (albeit not COLD) weather.

Also, does Anaheim Plaza serve a breakfast? Because if you save money AND get a free breakfast that might just be the deal for you! HTH.

I recommend HoJo's ... but only cuz the Anaheim Plaza is my little secret .. ;)

It's definitely a dated MOTEL, but for the price and location ... as a place to crash when not in the park .. it's perfect ...

So ... let's just keep this to ourselve .. K? ;)

Enjoy your trip!

Anaheim Plaza has a very nice and very large pool if you're concerned about swimming. Of course, it'll likely be too cold to swim though. (Well at least for me, it would be!)

I've stayed at both and like them both just fine. But if I were going budget, I'd definitely stay at Anaheim Plaza Inn. I've stayed there twice when traveling alone with my daughters (7&6 years old) and always felt safe.

Just FYI, there is no free breakfast at Anaheim Plaza and they charge $4 for parking.

Hojo is a much nicer place than Anaheim Plaza. They are not that much different as far as distance. I wouldn't feel at all unsafe walking from Hojo.

So, I guess it depends on whether you want budget or moderate...

Well I currently have a reservation for Anaheim Plaza for our Oct trip, BUT if the HoJo was to release the Ent Rate we would change in a second. HoJo is a very nice hotel, no charge for parking, very safe and has a great staff. I've never stayed at the Anaheim Plaza but I'm really bothered by the parking fee.......

Thanks for all the advice.... I may feel uncomfortable walking to Hojo, but once we get in the room I"ll feel more comfortable because it's interior corridors ... but maybe Anaheim isn't that scary???
I do need internet also, so I'd have to pay for that at Anaheim Plaza- (it's free at Hojo) and I won't have a car, so parking isn't an issue either.

Are the distances actaully the same or is Anaheim Plaza closer? I couldn't really tell by just looking at the map- Hojo seemed a little off the main street of hotels... UGH! Decisions decisions!!!!

Are the distances actaully the same or is Anaheim Plaza closer? I couldn't really tell by just looking at the map- Hojo seemed a little off the main street of hotels... UGH! Decisions decisions!!!!

according to the 2009 Unofficial Guide, it's 10:15 minutes to the theme park entrance from HoJos, and 11:00 from the Anaheim Plaza.

Thanks for all the advice.... I may feel uncomfortable walking to Hojo, but once we get in the room I"ll feel more comfortable because it's interior corridors ... but maybe Anaheim isn't that scary???
I do need internet also, so I'd have to pay for that at Anaheim Plaza- (it's free at Hojo) and I won't have a car, so parking isn't an issue either.

I have never felt uncomfortable walking to HoJo's. There are tons of people walking back at all times of the day.

I travel alone with DD12 DGD1 about every 6-8 weeks to DL. We primarily stay at HoJo even if I cannot get the entertainment rate. A couple things that make me feel safe are the interior corridors, the relatively short walk 10 minutes. It's very well lit on a busy road, next to a very busy Mimis restaurant.
I always walk with purpose, and as my children say a crazy eye! Lol.
There are usually many other families walking either direction. I have never been bothered by anyone. And never felt uncomfortable. I have never needed to use ART to or from hojo, but I read on a thread that it does run :) that could always be an option if needed. Personally I have never had the need because I feel the walk is so doable.
Whichever you choose enjoy your stay :)

I walked to HoJo with my then DS 12 this past May. We actually crossed at the main crosswalk and walked up the busier side of Harbor, rather than walking up by the bus stop and up the side next to DLR. We walked back at about 10 pm or so after we watched fireworks and rode Space one last time, then got an ice cream and headed back to the hotel.

I didn't feel uncomfortable walking with just my son, at all. I don't think I would have felt unsafe/uncomfortable with my littler boys, either.

2 things that matter to me when I am staying in a hotel. Interior corridors and comfortable beds. HoJo has both. HoJo also locks their exterior building doors after a certain time and you have to use your room key to get in. I think it's 10 pm??? But I can't remember for sure. :confused3

My Dsis stayed at Anaheim Plaza and got a good deal last May, but said the beds were very uncomfortable, although the room was a good size.

I've done the HoJo walk just me and the girls and did not feel unsafe or uncomfortable at all. We walk down the "other" side of Harbor and not down the side with everyone else.
As for the walk, we make it in the mornings in 7 min, we make it back at night after walking allllllllll day in about 10.

Here's a thought... how much time will you actually be spending at the pool area? The Anaheim Plaza has a HUGE pool and is a little closer (but not significantly). The pirate area is cute but the water is cold (although the kids never seem to mind at all!) The HoJo's is really not a scary walk at all either. Not sure that helps or confuses you more...but if you are trying to save money, the Anaheim Plaza is the way to go. If you are going to spend a significant amount of time at the pool, then your kids will love HoJo's. Good luck planning! :goodvibes

Kathy

I couldn't really tell by just looking at the map- Hojo seemed a little off the main street of hotels...

We stayed at HOJO about 10 years ago and I never thought it seemed that far, about a ten minute walk along Harbour. I think one could say it IS on the main street of hotels. :idea: I couldn't find it but maybe someone else has the link to the very good google earth map that shows what I mean.

We just got back from two nights at the Plaza ~ we spent 2 nights at HoJo in July & a couple nights this past Dec. I prefer HoJo's but if I can't get the ent. rate the AP is fine. It was just me and my kids and I felt safe. The walk is easy, we crossed Harbor near the AP and walked on the Disney side ~ did the same thing for the way back. I have some nights booked (ent rate) at HoJo for early Dec. & late Feb.!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter