• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hip Replacement Surgery Recovery Time

I had total left hip replacement surgery done 2 weeks ago. I had it done posterior. I have a shallow hip socket so it was necessary to do it that way. I have the posterior precautions...no bending beyond 90 degrees, limited twisting, left foot cannot turn inward, sitting in a chair with arms. I am having a slow recovery. I have a very bad back & my right hip is almost as bad as my left was. I am a slow healer anyway. I ended up with bruising on the back of my thigh and behind my knee. I have had extreme swelling in my left leg & my foot is blown up like a balloon. When they were transferring me into my car going home, the nurse lost her grip on me and I half fell into the car. That ended up pulling the muscle in the front left thigh. Great start!

I have only been up & down the stairs twice and have not gone outside since returning home. The third time I tried i miss stepped and hurt my hip. I still use the walker & am nowhere close to using a cane. I would definitely move around more if I could go downstairs. I am going crazy being stuck on my second floor. Because of being on the 2nd floor, I still need a lot of help.

I expected, as did my husband, that my recovery would be much faster than this! We are both burnt out from the difficulty of it. I pray the right one goes easier. I am thrilled for the people who have had such easy or easier than me, recoveries. You are blessed. My Physical Therapist said today that everyone heals at different rates.

I had total left hip replacement surgery done 2 weeks ago. I had it done posterior. I have a shallow hip socket so it was necessary to do it that way. I have the posterior precautions...no bending beyond 90 degrees, limited twisting, left foot cannot turn inward, sitting in a chair with arms. I am having a slow recovery. I have a very bad back & my right hip is almost as bad as my left was. I am a slow healer anyway. I ended up with bruising on the back of my thigh and behind my knee. I have had extreme swelling in my left leg & my foot is blown up like a balloon. When they were transferring me into my car going home, the nurse lost her grip on me and I half fell into the car. That ended up pulling the muscle in the front left thigh. Great start!

I have only been up & down the stairs twice and have not gone outside since returning home. The third time I tried i miss stepped and hurt my hip. I still use the walker & am nowhere close to using a cane. I would definitely move around more if I could go downstairs. I am going crazy being stuck on my second floor. Because of being on the 2nd floor, I still need a lot of help.

I expected, as did my husband, that my recovery would be much faster than this! We are both burnt out from the difficulty of it. I pray the right one goes easier. I am thrilled for the people who have had such easy or easier than me, recoveries. You are blessed. My Physical Therapist said today that everyone heals at different rates.
I have read that the posterior surgery recovery time is a lot longer and has more restrictions than the anterior surgery. You CAN do this! Keep your eye on the prize - living a pain free life once the 2nd hip is done and you are fully recovered. I hope you turn the corner soon with this 1st hip and begin to feel better and move better very soon!

DH's surgery was on Tuesday, and it is now Saturday. PT came on Thursday, evaluated him, showed him all the exercises he has to do daily (sitting lower leg lifts, standing up on tippy toes with the walker). She also told him to focus on heel/toe when he walked with the walker because he was shuffling. She also told him to spend 20 or 30 minutes lying on the bed with his leg propped up on a wedge of pillows, leg above his heart. He is pretty swollen and tight. This should help, but he said it pulled on his incision a bit and was not very comfortable.

He took a shower on Thursday as well. He didn't need the shower seat as he preferred to stand and brace himself against the walls of our small stall shower. He was able to wash everywhere with the shower brush. I did have to help him with the shampoo bottle, which was on the shower floor (no shelves in our shower). He needed help toweling off his lower body when he was done. He can't reach his calves or feet yet. He also needs help putting on pants/shorts and socks. I got to see the bandage (about 10 inches long, 4 inches wide) and the bruising (way worse and more extensive than I imagined).

Home health nurse came on Friday. She is also concerned with the swelling. She said he needs to elevate the leg more often and ice consistently - 20 min on, 20 minutes off. Earlier I had tried to get him to ice more regularly, but I think he was feeling bad about running me around to change the ice packs, so he wouldn't do it as often as he should. Now he's more on schedule. It helps that we have a mini fridge in the game room. I moved half the ice packs there, and he is comfortable/strong enough to get them himself sometimes now. She also told him to start staggering the oxy and the 1000 mg of Tylenol vs taking them together.

Both the PT and home health nurse asked him about bowel movements. He has not had one yet and is starting to freak out. I told him just to relax about it. After a big surgery and daily opioids, it's going to be a few days. He's been taking Colace and Miralax daily since day one. I bought him prune juice, oatmeal and raisins yesterday. He is so worried about it that he is hardly eating. And he tried to stop taking the oxy yesterday. He took one at 9:00 am, but then broke down at 6:00 pm and took one. He says it is not so much pain/throbbing as it is tightness that hurts. I told him he was being silly. He needs to eat to keep up his strength, and he needs to manage his pain. It's not like he will never poop again! I hope it happens soon, so he can relax.

He's still in the recliner most of the day and for sleeping, but he does sit in a club chair when he comes down stairs. He is more comfortable there than the sofa (easier to get up with the two chair arms). He's up and walking every hour with the walker and going up/down the stairs at least twice a day with the cane. He is pretty psyched that he's moving around so well.

Had left total hip replacement 1.5 years ago. I had anterior with no restrictions and my hip had been collapsed, destroyed. I waited way to long to have it replaced. Anyone who needs to have a hip replaced, do not wait too long. If you get to the point where your hip is collapsed, the pain you will endure waiting for replacement is intolerable. Not even an opioid will help, it is downright awful.

I see someone upthread recommend BoneSmart for someone having a hip replaced, I found it invaluable. An orthopedic nurse monitors it and is full of a wealth of information. From what I gathered, both anterior or posterior approach can have restrictions or not. Much of it is dependent on you and/or your doctor.

I had zero restrictions and no pain. I was in the hospital a total of 26 hours from admittance to discharge. I was up and walking day of surgery, following day did stairs and then discharged. My only thing was that I had sto wait 48 hours for a shower. I had staples and no bandage over the incision. I could go up and down the stairs as I wanted, sit wherever, and do whatever I felt comfortable with. At the 48 hours point and I could shower, just needed a steadying hand to get in and out, as my hip had been so bad that I lost range of motion in my right leg and that is the leg I lead into the shower with. It is a stall shower with a little iip to enter. As I said, I waiting way too long where it affected my right leg. I was able to shower completely and even shave my legs without assistance.

I found bed to be totally uncomfortable for a bit but we have a recliner in our bedroom, so used that until I was more comfortable in bed. I do have a bad back so that was part of my issue with bed. From what I have read,to sleep in bed it helps to have a lot of pillows to help “cocoon” yourself.

The only thing I needed as far as aides go, was a raised toilet seat. The doctor said it’s not necessary but we do have low toilets and, again, between a bad back and my right leg so affected, it was something that helped me.

I took the full 12 weeks off from work as I found I was tired, not due to the hip itself. I was able to be out on disilibilty and my office was fine with it and also told me I’d be silly to not take the full 12 weeks!

I should also add that no 2 recoveries are the same. Do not compare your recovery to anyone else’s. At the end of the day, does it matter if you used a walker 2 weeks or 6 weeks? Used a cane longer than someone else? Some people are remarkable and able to walk unaided much quicker than I did, but it all ends up at the same place. Walking without pain, unaided.

I felt as though I had a fairly easy recovery compared to some, but I was using a cane longer than others. Some told me that your body knows when to stop using the cane. In other words, you find yourself walking and forgetting to get it. When I mean walking, it’s also walking limp free.

OP here for an update:

DH's surgery was 1 week plus 1 day ago.

His digestive system was back to normal by Saturday afternoon - no more fretting about that. He went off his pain meds yesterday. He is now just taking Tylenol. On Monday PT came again. She was slightly concerned because his temp had gone up to 99.3. But I checked it again that night and on Tuesday morning. It was normal both times. The swelling has slowly moved down his leg from the thigh to the knee to the foot. His foot is still swollen but the swelling is gradually going down. He did not ice and elevate nearly enough (20 min on, 20 min off) during the first 1.5 days at home. Both PT and the home health nurse came today. He got the big bandage off today. The incision looks great - super clean and straight.

DH is a little bummed his PT won't let him ditch the walker yet. He'd love to move to just the cane, but she watched him walk with it and said he is not ready. I have to agree with her. Walking with just the cane was not pretty! He also still needs help putting on shorts or sweats and toweling off his lower body after showering. He can't carry anything while using the walker, so he needs help moving stuff (pillows, raised toilet seat, computer, etc) as well. He says the raised toilet seat was worth every penny. Other big news - he's going to try to sleep in our bed tonight. He has spent most of his time (and all night long) in a recliner.

Funny story about the recliner. It is electric and on Saturday afternoon it stopped working. My DFIL came to visit, and he took the whole thing apart trying to fix it. It must be the motor because he couldn't get it to work. We ran out to buy another one because DH could not imagine sleeping without it. DS, DFIL and I went to The DUMP furniture store because it used to be cash and carry. We picked out the chair we wanted and were getting ready to pay when the sales rep said it would be delivered on Friday! Noooooo! No more cash and carry - we needed it that day! The manager would not let us take the floor sample, so my DS offered to drive to their warehouse 1.5 hours away to get the chair for his dad that night. He made it there with 3 minuter to spare. He and DFIL put it together, and DH was happy/comfortable again. Whew!

My cousin had hip replacement surgery 8 weeks ago. His Doctor cleared him to resume running this week. But the Doctor said don't expect to feel 100% for a year.

OP here for an update:

DH's surgery was 1 week plus 1 day ago.

His digestive system was back to normal by Saturday afternoon - no more fretting about that. He went off his pain meds yesterday. He is now just taking Tylenol. On Monday PT came again. She was slightly concerned because his temp had gone up to 99.3. But I checked it again that night and on Tuesday morning. It was normal both times. The swelling has slowly moved down his leg from the thigh to the knee to the foot. His foot is still swollen but the swelling is gradually going down. He did not ice and elevate nearly enough (20 min on, 20 min off) during the first 1.5 days at home. Both PT and the home health nurse came today. He got the big bandage off today. The incision looks great - super clean and straight.

DH is a little bummed his PT won't let him ditch the walker yet. He'd love to move to just the cane, but she watched him walk with it and said he is not ready. I have to agree with her. Walking with just the cane was not pretty! He also still needs help putting on shorts or sweats and toweling off his lower body after showering. He can't carry anything while using the walker, so he needs help moving stuff (pillows, raised toilet seat, computer, etc) as well. He says the raised toilet seat was worth every penny. Other big news - he's going to try to sleep in our bed tonight. He has spent most of his time (and all night long) in a recliner.

Funny story about the recliner. It is electric and on Saturday afternoon it stopped working. My DFIL came to visit, and he took the whole thing apart trying to fix it. It must be the motor because he couldn't get it to work. We ran out to buy another one because DH could not imagine sleeping without it. DS, DFIL and I went to The DUMP furniture store because it used to be cash and carry. We picked out the chair we wanted and were getting ready to pay when the sales rep said it would be delivered on Friday! Noooooo! No more cash and carry - we needed it that day! The manager would not let us take the floor sample, so my DS offered to drive to their warehouse 1.5 hours away to get the chair for his dad that night. He made it there with 3 minuter to spare. He and DFIL put it together, and DH was happy/comfortable again. Whew!
Wow, he is doing really well. My mom-70 had both knees replaced 6 weeks ago and she is still taking oxy. I had to be with her for 4 weeks. She left hospital on day 4 and had to go into nursing home for 2 weeks (which was awful and I had to be there a lot to do stuff they neglected...but that's for another thread). While there, I ordered her an electric recliner from Sears. It was delivered in like 2 days and arrived in time for my mom's return home. She was in care for so long due to having stairs to get into her front door and stairs up to her bedroom. Though once she got home she just slept in recliner for another week and a half. Anyway, I worry about her oxy use. She shouldn't need it so much now but she still says her knees hurt bad....6 weeks post op.

Your DH is doing great. Hoping for continued healing and some good rest for you too.

Wow, he is doing really well. My mom-70 had both knees replaced 6 weeks ago and she is still taking oxy. I had to be with her for 4 weeks. She left hospital on day 4 and had to go into nursing home for 2 weeks (which was awful and I had to be there a lot to do stuff they neglected...but that's for another thread). While there, I ordered her an electric recliner from Sears. It was delivered in like 2 days and arrived in time for my mom's return home. She was in care for so long due to having stairs to get into her front door and stairs up to her bedroom. Though once she got home she just slept in recliner for another week and a half. Anyway, I worry about her oxy use. She shouldn't need it so much now but she still says her knees hurt bad....6 weeks post op.

Your DH is doing great. Hoping for continued healing and some good rest for you too.

I can believe some people will have severe pain with the TKR.
I had my right knee done last year/April.
Took me until this year to be back to doing fine.
My thigh bone split during the surgery and on oxy until August
6 weeks post op is still a tough healing time for some peeps.

Thank you for telling me. Makes me feel better.

Exactly. The PT told me that knees are a much harder/longer recovery than hips. I'm going to need my knees replaced eventually. I'm trying to put it off as long as possible

DH is going to try and have the second one done in 6 weeks. That's the earliest his doctor will do it. We have high deductible insurance, so he needs to do them both in 2018 and be ready for our Christmas cruise! Plus the 2nd hip is just as bad as the first one.

My friend just had hers done- she is 62 and she had one done and then 2 weeks later the other one done. The first day after doing the first one they had her up and going on the stairs- it was crazy.

My Mom had a total knee replacement (only the left one) just before Christmas. She did go straight home from the hospital, but the rehab would have been better. We are almost 8 months out and she still had a lot of pain in that knee. As someone else said, her nurse said knees are worse than hips for pain. I would say it took about 2.5 months for her to really turn a corner (ie really get out of bed and doing more for herself), but still not 100%. She needs her other knee done and I am dreading doing this again. She will be going to rehab this time if she does as she fought me on too many things (taking her meds, getting up to move around, doing her PT exercises, showering, eating) that I want her a little further along in the recovery before coming home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter