Hints for Someone Who's Disabled ...

InStitches49

FirecrackerGirl
We're booked at Port Orleans Riverside for the middle of June. There are three of us (husband, me, and teenager). Two of us can walk until we drop, but my husband has peripheral neuropathy in his legs/feet. He is saying that he will probably need a wheelchair/scooter to get around DisneyWorld and even then may have to leave us two and go back to the room during the afternoon.

My questions are basically what is the best means of transportation to the parks from POR and if it is best to rent something for him from outside the park or from inside the park?

We only went once before when our son (now 23) was in kindergarten, so it has been a LONG time for sure. Back then my husband could get around great. (This stuff hit him just in the last two years.)

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've moved this to the disabilities board, you will get awesome help from the folks over there!

Hi Institches,

don't know if you've read the disabled FAQ yet? You really should, it is full of great info. In it there is all info about renting a wc or ecv at the parks or the resort. If he is able to walk to and from the transportation like busses, monorail, boat etc. you might want to consider renting in the park and if needed; at the resort (can't bring them into the park). If there is any doubt if he can walk these ends; rent off-site! In these cases it's better safe than sorry. It is very easy to prevent him getting "stuck" if you bring a wc or ecv, so if he has doubts I would definately rent from outside the park. When renting inside the park I've read about people having to wait because all the wc's or ecv's were allready being used, so that can also be a thing to think about.

I don't know about the financial side of renting from outside of the park, but if it isn't like wanting to buy gold, I'ld be renting off-site. Having a wc or ecv "of himself" will garantee him full mobility (also to and from the resort), not having to wait at MK for one to become available, and not having to change chairs between resort and park. It gives more freedom. I, for instance, would worry about a wc or evc not being available at one of the parks and that wouldn't do the holiday-spirit any good.

If he would be the person to go on longer than he should before using a wc (or just keep walking after he sees he'll have to wait at a MK renting place and decide "I'll just walk") , having a wc or ecv "of himself" might make the threshold for using it a bit lower.

An ecv would be much better than a wheelchair. It offers a lot of independence and he'd be able to go back to the resort to rest without needing someone to push him.

I am planning on using Disney transportation (have used it before with ecv.) It works well and again would give him the means of getting back and resting if he needs to!

Do check the FAQs. They will give you a wealth of information!;)

Hi and :welcome: to both DisBoards and disABILTIES!

One poster has already mentioned the "disABILTIES! FAQ". If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including where people rent ECVs.

If you will have a car it might be easier for getting to the parks (possibly except MK) and definitely if you want to go to other hotels for meals. the FAQ also tells a bit about breaking down a (rental) ECV.

All the Disney buses are either lift (older, being phased out) or ramp (newer) equipped for transporation.

We tend to reecommend off-site ECV rental for several reasons. They are smaller and more maneuverable, they are available at all times (POR covers a lot of territor), and sometimes Disney runs out of rentals.

Hi there! I'll chuck in my money's worth, to add to everyone elses':

Firstly, do go for a wheelchair or ECV, it will make the trip so much happier and easier for everyone.

As for which to go for, that depends on you and your husband. If he feels he'll be able to drive an ECV happily enough, it would probably be easier for you to go down that avenue, as he will be able to get around the whole park by himself. If he wants to practice before going, some of the larger supermarkets have ones you can borrow. They are much bigger and clunkier than most, so if he can drive them, he can drive anything.

Thirdly, as others have said, you might be better off renting from off-property so you can use it to and from the parks, around the resort and at Downtown Disney.

All of the Disney transport is accessible (though the boats occasionally can't take wheelchairs / ECV at exceptional water levels), so you shouldn't have any problems there. A lot of people find the ramped buses easier to cope with than the lifts. If you want a ramped bus, but a lift one comes along, you can just ask the driver and they should radio for a ramped one to come get you. It will take longer, but it'll mean an easier board for you.

POR is a very nice resort, though rather large. If you do decide to rent from off-site, your husband should be able to explore the resort with you and your daughter easily enough. There are a number of bus stops around, so wherever your room is, you shouldn't have too far to walk / wheel to get back there after a day at the parks.

I hope you all have a great trip! :thumbsup2

Hi
My DH has the same condition which he also has had about 2 years now. We hired an ECV for our last trip back in Dec/Jan 06 and found it a real help.
DH now has one at home as he was so impressed by the freedom and help it gave him.
We hired then and for our next trip next month from Randy's Mobility. They deliver it to you and pick up at your hotel/villa.
DH only found going backwards out of the monorail in anyway difficult and the only problem we found was people running in front or cutting across him and him not being able to break to a halt instantly.
All the attractions were easy to get onto as he can walk short distances. Don't worry about getting special treatment on the rides as with some you may get on a little earlier, others you may have to wait a little longer for the accessible boat etc. Most attractions are now geared up for ECV users very well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter