Hint for those with Heat issues.

gripshod

Earning My Ears
My DD has several disabilities including Epilepsy. The meds she takes for the seizures prevents her from regulating her body temp. We visted WDW and US last summer for 5 days and found a life safer at AK.

At one of the portable carts in front of the safari they sold minature fans for a couple of dollars. We bought all they had that day and attached them to my DD stroller. She was riding in luxury the rest of the trip, her own air conditioned stroller. The only downside was the batteries (1 AA) do not last more than a day.

Hope this helps and maybe you can find them at a local dollar store cheaper.

They sell fans with a mist spray at WalMart for about $6. We've got three. We all use them but keep our DD with seizures wet the whole time. She's not on Lamictal now but heat increases her seizures and makes her cranky and miserable. Plus her helmet makes the problem worse.

I'm going to look for some fans without the mist that we can just attach to her stroller. Then we won't have to hold one on her all the time.

THanks for the tip!!

:earsboy:

Originally posted by gripshod
My DD has several disabilities including Epilepsy. The meds she takes for the seizures prevents her from regulating her body temp. We visted WDW and US last summer for 5 days and found a life safer at AK.

At one of the portable carts in front of the safari they sold minature fans for a couple of dollars. We bought all they had that day and attached them to my DD stroller. She was riding in luxury the rest of the trip, her own air conditioned stroller. The only downside was the batteries (1 AA) do not last more than a day.

Hope this helps and maybe you can find them at a local dollar store cheaper.

They sell the misting fans all over the parks also you can get them at most drug stores and they also sell in the parks the neck bands that you wet, that have crystals that swell and retain water and keep your neck and so your blood cool, they are FANTASTIC I have these same issues with heat having MS and I use both the fans and the neck bands, just got back yesterday and using them things were not too bad at all. I must say though that in looking for the bands we tried the emporium at MK and the cm said no they did not carry such an item, we then found them ten seconds later not 5 feet from her, went back and told her, she said , "oh". the check out CM said of course we have them. so if someone says they dont' ask someone else.
You can also sew your own, which i should have done but to lazy too. you just need a strip of tight woven cloth 48 inches long, and a half teaspoon of soil moist crystals. sew the fabric strip into a tube, then stitch off one end about a foot from the end or so, add your crystals and sew the opposite end about a foot or so, this gives you the tie ends. you can also stitch a center channel if you like before filling.

The fans that I am describing are not the mist fans you see everyone lugging around. The fans we used were about the sizer of a cigarette lighter and had a cord on them to hang from your neck. This made things a lot easier than the water bottles because they are not as bulky and you can hang 3 or 4 all around the stroller, etc.

I found fans exactly like what you are describing at our Wal-Mart today for $1 each! I bought a whole bunch of them, in case they don't last very long. They even have safe foam blades so my little guy can't get hurt. They are small enough to sick in your pocket, but they really generate quite a breeze. They even had them in line green!

I have those little ones from Walmart and also the spray bottles with the fans from Walmart. I agree they are great! I keep my little guy sprayed down all day and he does just fine!

we use the fans, the fans attached to the water bottles, and the neck wraps. Found neck wraps here before we left at one of the "Nature" stores at the mall. Last time we found something I think is called a misty-mate. It is a thermos like container that you pump up like an olive oil spritzer. It has a tube and a clip with a toggle switch that can turn a fine, cool mist on and off. The thermos has a strap that we attach to my son's wheelchair. The clip can be attached anywhere. Last time we sprayed other guests - on request of course.

My DH found the neck wraps at Walmart. They were in the sporting goods department. We never did use them on our last trip - it wasn't that hot and we forgot about them. So, I can't give a testimonial on how they work.

These are wonderful ideas for keeping cool but please be careful of these around power wheelchairs and ECVs. The misters will cause problems with the controllers on power chairs and ECVs and they can cause them to become runaway.
I have been told that my controller is one of the most expensive parts of my power wheelchair to replace. About $2000. Personally I do not like misters being used close to my power wheelchair because I do not want to run the risk of damaging the controller. I know it can be covered with a shower cap but hanging onto plastic all day is not particularly comfortable.
I use the tie thingies to keep cool. I have also made a pouch for my insulin out of the same stuff to keep it cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter