Hindsight is 2020 - A VERY late trip report (NYE and Feb/March cruise) - Updated 8/27-Off the cruise and a VIP Tour!

I just read the entire report and loved it. I am so sorry you felt so alone on the cruise. I wish I had your courage to travel alone. I hope things got better quickly for you
Yeah, it did turn around! I did quickly realize though that maybe cruising solo isn't for me! (my next cruises are 1 with the family and another with some friends)
I am so sorry about dinner. I totally would have gone with you. I think you are very brave and wonderful!!!
Aww, thanks! It felt weird being upset though! First night of the cruise too!
I fully understand your feelings having to eat alone your first evening. When DW and I are on a DCL cruise without family, we always choose to have tablemates. We not only have enjoyed meeting all of them, but we have always had interesting and fun conversations with them.
Yeah when mom and I did a cruise we were at a table with 7 people, a mom and her adult daughters, and two solo cruisers. So I thought it would be something like that!
I know how much you like to visit and strike up conversations with people at the parks so I’m sure you were looking forward to meeting new people at dinner!
I love your veranda wow how lucky 🍀
I hope it gets better being solo on the high seas!!
It is so fun reading about a cruise since there haven’t been any in so long!
It does get better! And yeah, crazy how I snuck in that cruise right before the restrictions and lockdown!
I am glad you were able to sort of the bus situation! That has to be stressful at the last minute!

Love your balcony room! I am on the Dream come May, and I just got a regular balcony, but I truly cannot wait to be sitting on it! I am sorry you had a little breakdown at dinner. I can understand how you felt. It is nice to be alone, but alone alone is not fun all the time. Especially on vacation. Dinner looks amazing though! I can almost taste the pasta! I hope you were able to get moved to another table for the remainder of the trip and things got a little better.
The bus was stressful, but thankfully all worked out!

That balcony was just wonderful! I was so very spoiled and too several naps out there!

The food is always so yummy on DCL!

Day 8 – Sunday, March 1, 2020
A Day at Sea with New Tablemates

Today was a day at sea – really the only “unplanned” day of the cruise. So I knew I had to make it worth it! Which for me meant, do very little, lol!

UVlowMh.jpg

Breakfast on the back deck. I love the steak but hate how they don’t really have steak knives (I would sometimes forget to ask a CM for them)

RV5E32h.jpg

And of course, ice cream – strawberry banana

pPi4vnI.jpg

I checked out the Jack Jack Diaper Dash, which was fun but not as amusing as my previous cruise, where the winner suddenly spurted ahead of everyone else! Baby already walked so he wasn’t eligible for the race.

chibNS1.jpg
yW05oVP.jpg

Some lunch. Doesn’t look like much but I wasn’t too hungry since I had a late breakfast.

2ygh3jy.jpg

After hanging poolside for a bit, I ended up going back to my lovely verandah and had a nap outside! It was just lovely!

vKnJCwM.jpg
9ub0ORK.jpg
Xc2f4pK.jpg

We also sailed by Cuba and the captain let everyone know so we could see Havana! I’ve never been but my brother went for a school film project and he loved it.

JKK59UR.jpg
sWAQo53.jpg
OPbn3mf.jpg

The show tonight was Aladdin. This was fun, but I did always end up comparing it to the Aladdin production at DCA (which closed some time ago), and it really was no comparison! (Also…no abu, which was weird). But there is a difference between a production that goes on several times a day every day vs once a week…

aKBMLma.jpg

But Genie did have a Baby Yoda joke. I don’t remember exactly what it was but it had to do with someone everyone could love, lol!

Photo time before dinner.

92OYvnf.jpg
maLIMCw.jpg
MNvlNKl.jpg
v4OADrW.jpg
mcdpFGJ.jpg
SFB4YyQ.jpg
xtr1aAE.jpg

I also happened to come across Minnie with no real line so I stopped.

iAabcCh.jpg
RUQiNzK.jpg

Dinner tonight was at Enchanted Garden

LGGmaDD.jpg

I stopped to talk to the head server about my table assignment. He checked the records and found two tables, one with two couples who were in their 50s, and another with two couples in their 30s. We both agreed on the younger couple, and I anxiously headed over there. Everyone was a bit surprised for a new person to show up, but it worked out really well. One couple was from Germany and were very sweet; the girl excitedly showed me her wedding photos (they were on their honeymoon) which were all Disney themed and they got engaged at Disneyland Paris, so we got along great. The husband was also a big Star Wars person. The other couple was actually from Japan (but had been on a 2-year work assignment in the US). They also were nice and it was cool to talk Tokyo Disneyland. Unfortunately the woman didn’t speak much English and I had offloaded my Japanese translation app from my phone, but the husband was fluent. We all got along very well and it worked out nice for dinner for the rest of the trip!

I have to check notes but I think our server was Antoinette from the carribean (I can’t remember which island unfortunately), and Jared (?) from France. They were both great and very friendly.

Ok, onto Enchanted Garden. Probably my favorite theme of the restaurant. Just really gorgeous in there!

VWO8I0M.jpg
UbsFROA.jpg
mJ8FXVc.jpg
qnkNJtM.jpg
29Afu5a.jpg

To eat, I got the North Atlantic Lobster Ravioli (with roasted garlic and sweet basil in a tomato broth). And the Ahi Tuna and Avocado Tower (with crispy noodles and wasabi dressing). Very good!

TfeY0jl.jpg
6PdqiDy.jpg

For an entrée, I got the Slow Roaster Prime Rib (carved and served with thyme-roasted vegetables, double-baked potato, natural jus and horseradish). Good and I always love double baked potatoes!

uZrrzcv.jpg

It looks like I got the Chocolate Garden Torte, but I’m not totally sure (with coffee crème and caramel soil)

xkqyqsc.jpg

Some more photos before I left

GZb0Zrp.jpg
ajAIDu7.jpg
di5fvDJ.jpg
XmRSu5n.jpg
HAlmAFK.jpg
Ya8x7U5.jpg
M5JUv1x.jpg
mXa9Kcn.jpg
1enbrEq.jpg

Towel animal, a lobster?

xybQerE.jpg

And we were all packed up for the next day, our first port day!

VxGvUEz.jpg

Coming up – Hola Mexico!

I'm so sorry about dinner and how upset you were :(

Your verandah looked awesome!

I'm glad you were able to sit with other people at dinner the next night and that you all got along!

Sounds like a good day at sea!

I'm so sorry about dinner and how upset you were :(

Your verandah looked awesome!

I'm glad you were able to sit with other people at dinner the next night and that you all got along!

Sounds like a good day at sea!
The verandah was truly amazing! I would love having it again some day lol! And yeah, once dinner seating companions was worked out it was much better.

Day 9 – March 2, 2020
Cozumel, Royal Court, and Pirates

We had already arrived in Cozumel by the time I got out of bed (I may have gotten up earlier but this was the first time I took a photo…)

KYbsYBn.jpg

Breakfast upstairs. I also got a cheese and mushroom omelet. (A weird thing when I ordered the omelet there was another lady who also ordered an omelet. And when I sat down to wait and eat my current food she sort of just followed me… and would not stop talking… Normally I would be ok (and I was pleasant to her) but she was going on and on about things I knew weren’t correct (nothing offensive, just wrong info), so it was annoying. I actually ran into her and her family a couple times and they were the types who were late to everything and expected us to accommodate them… oh well!)

SA0xEII.jpg
zGZUBm3.jpg

Ok, onto the excursion. Peter Pan sticker, who is one of my favorites!

WjJi7ty.jpg
c8s8Ldp.jpg

The excursion I picked was Cozumel Highlights, Ruins and Discover Mexico Cultural Park – Adult only departure. From the DCL website: Immerse yourself in the history of Cozumel at the ruins of San Gervasio, where centuries old structures still stand! Visit the ruins of an ancient Mayan site of worship before exploring Mexico's history at the Discover Mexico park.

So, even though I live in SoCal and have been down to San Diego countless times to visit my dad’s family, I have never actually been to Mexico! I know… crazy! So this was my first time in Mexico, although it wasn’t the mainland.

nwGxobI.jpg

This was our guide, Raul. He was very interesting, an archaeology student so he had a lot of information on the Mayans.

St4wUL4.jpg

First stop – San Gervasio Archaeological Mayan Site.

KeNtBr9.jpg
Oon9z9E.jpg
NDfZYTE.jpg
hzDP2vK.jpg
i3RLkHt.jpg

This was the Little Hands structure and was maybe residential, maybe ceremonial. It could have been the home of the main guy in charge of Cozumel back in the 1000-1200 a.d.

Kto9Ajk.jpg
srF3nRj.jpg
rXDiCyn.jpg
4oOczR7.jpg

Our guide also pointed out some handprints on the back walls which he said were original. (the wood roofs were recreations)

7mUhtlN.jpg
Gz866z7.jpg
aN2iFpg.jpg

Lots of iguanas everywhere!

Un1qRMy.jpg
WoG79lI.jpg
YPjeYsA.jpg

I think this was a tomb structure?

zicBGly.jpg

An underground oven pit.

Gja0f1Z.jpg

The main plaza and archway walkway.

pltuOVR.jpg
SAnJIp2.jpg

Another area of the complex.

aH18aAz.jpg
AYFiix8.jpg
Q8Gx5O9.jpg
KS9MDjF.jpg

This was an interesting site, but I was a bit annoyed at how much our guide was pushing us to buy things from the venders, but this was a common occurrence at all the spots. Also, we got delayed when someone not on our tour came running up that they needed help for another person in their party who had gone on the walking trail. It was very hot so they probably overheated, and our guide ran over to help ensure they were ok. Reasonable, but annoying that the other people didn’t take proper precautions. Oh well…

Our next stop was the Discover Mexico historical park. We were running behind, so didn’t get to spend much time here, with our guide really just explaining a couple of things in the museum.

NoSe7tJ.jpg
S4kXyzU.jpg
x6zVjrN.jpg
ol8LqKm.jpg
rSxJnDV.jpg
QPn1K6N.jpg
PqJFRpi.jpg

We walked at a brisk pace through the diorama area.

861odld.jpg

Godzilla?

wpUPpfx.jpg

And then lunch was served over in the plaza. I think it was basically fajitas, which were tasty enough (and not spicy which I was worried about)

KSqY7ZQ.jpg
UiSgU6q.jpg

Before leaving we of course had time in the gift shop.

nSYUA0t.jpg
Db82Pdw.jpg
WzqIYrF.jpg

I had to tell Baby Yoda he couldn’t buy these hats no matter how cute they were on him!

ZQCIXgR.jpg
U2TdEJD.jpg

Final stop, the Mayan Cacao Company. This is definitely a tourist place, but still was interesting.

uxRpEBn.jpg
CaF8kvl.jpg

Some information on the Mayan history with chocolate

sjm2Vvn.jpg
ainG1uq.jpg

A lady made mole that was spread on fresh tortillas, but it was spicy so I just got the tortilla

kTFhJpK.jpg

And the chocolate demonstration

POCpjdB.jpg
cPESfAg.jpg
QTPB6Z7.jpg
ECeZQIa.jpg

They gave us samples of the fresh chocolate (note – that any samples they expect you to tip for)

W1v5QvD.jpg

Outside everyone gets a little jug of some cocoa which is just chocolate and water. That was waaaay too bitter! But they have lots of various sugars, spices, honey, vanilla, to mix in and make your own much tastier drink.

GAnFhTv.jpg
pHnLgKz.jpg

In the shop they have lots of cacao beauty products. I considered one of the soap sets but ultimately didn’t get any. They also have samples of the various chocolates.

N4OKqXX.jpg
siDOMAy.jpg
jDRCgVC.jpg

Before we left I ran back to the bar and got myself a Maya Colada, basically a pina colada with chocolate. It was very good! Though I had to bring it onto the bus and had issues drinking it without spilling.

7TWz9yD.jpg

Overall, a fun excursion. I’d say if you are interested in history, go ahead and do it. But be prepared to tip, with small bills for each stop and a larger bill for the guide and driver.

A stop at the Cozumel sign in the mall on the way back to the ship where some girls took my photo and I took theirs.

aqxQJAf.jpg

One mini hide and seek.

vhflMvS.jpg

R3uKqPB.jpg

The port in Cozumel was weird because you had to walk through a mall to get to and from the entrance to the ships. And that was full of venders trying to get you to buy cheap souvenirs. I did not partake in any of it however.

We were the only ship at this dock – there’s another dock further down the coast where there were a few more ships.

XukoBnC.jpg
x1PzNqG.jpg
iTW1R7n.jpg
aTNgyKx.jpg

Because we were late I had to rush for my next thing, and I got back to my room, quickly showered (I was sweaty and dirty) and headed to the spa, where I had a nice massage! I had booked this late so didn’t have the most options of times. The ship actually pulled away as I was getting massaged.

Later, it was pirate night. No Disney dress tonight, but I did try to make my hair cute and curly.

E0EgtfP.jpg
C60edzh.jpg

The one photo I have with my tablemate from Germany. (Our Japanese couple came but the wife had to go back to the room because she wasn’t feeling good so the husband didn’t stay long)

lm5r3F5.jpg

Dinner was at Royal Court tonight.

tvpNRxI.jpg
hs5EVuO.jpg
S9epYlE.jpg
VsKTe9Y.jpg

With the cutest bread baskets

0cgUSbT.jpg

I think I liked the menus here the most (while it was Pirate night, they had the normal rotational menus since we would also be getting the SWDAS menu). Appetizers I got the Breaded and Deep Fried Brie, and the Iced Lobster and Jumbo Shrimp. I loved them both, but the brie was my favorite.

q7qTX6O.jpg
WQEUQfd.jpg

Entrée I got the Crispy Roaster Duck Breast. Also delicious!

MowXWVd.jpg

For dessert – I wish I had taken a photo of the whole table. I requested two of the Gran Marnier souffles, since they are just that good! And had mentioned to our server Antoinette I also liked crème brulee, but just wanted the souffles. The German couple decided to go along with my recommendation and also each get a souffle. Well… Antoinette comes back out and for 3 people she gave us 4 souffles and 3 crème brulees! It was hilarious the amount of desserts we had! Of course they were all delicious but no way to eat it all!

zvMTtS5.jpg

Pirate night blanket animal

Za7JzLW.jpg

At first I went up to the top deck for the fireworks but of course it was crowded. And I realized… the fireworks were going to be on the side of the ship where my room was. So, rather than stay up there I went down to my room.
zTUdnTw.jpg
kyPH3tC.jpg

Now…I know – you are not supposed to be out on the verandahs during the fireworks in case of an accident. But I was definitely not the only one and I stayed close to the door so I could hop back inside just in case. And, OMG it was so worth it! Of course I couldn’t really hear the music, but I could watch the show without any crowds and then crash back into my room at the end! So lovely!

nzpHeAb.jpg
Hd6fIi4.jpg
IFBDZWO.jpg
fT90Onr.jpg
uuh9uES.jpg

Overall a very low-key but fun day.

Coming up – Grand Cayman…

Day 10 – March 3, 2020
Grand Cayman, with an excursion snafu, and Palo

Today was Grand Cayman day. I checked the onboard map that morning and could see we were going to be delayed getting into port.

For breakfast I went to Cove Café rather than Cabanas, and got some yummy pastries (croissant, chocolate ‘pillow danish’, orange chocolate cupcake, caramel tartlet), plus ate them on my favorite round cushioned seats in the adult pool area!

7zjkwzh.jpg
TzhhkQU.jpg
PyFP8bv.jpg

The upper deck area, which I never really hung out in.

JfQmaX8.jpg
6bPHWtW.jpg

Coming into port, we were at least 2 hrs late.

cMrV9nk.jpg
S02APyy.jpg

I went back down to pick up my stuff for my planned excursion and admired the first tender boats pulling away from the ship

MbJ8LGG.jpg

And then I headed down myself to get onboard a tender boat. I had booked a snorkeling excursion which would involve a catamaran boat, reef snorkeling, and shipwreck snorkling.

While I had booked an excursion through DCL, it was meeting on the pier, not on board, so we didn’t get any sort of priority with tendering (only the excursions who were scheduled early got tendering priority; mine was originally going to be 1.5 hrs after we started tendering boats). When I got down to Deck 2, it was just chaotic. And the line for tendering went up the stairs, and basically looped all around Deck 3. It was just sooo aggravating, and I was pretty annoyed that I had paid DCL prices for the excursion but I didn’t get any sort of priority. I checked at guest services and they explained the excursion was getting bumped back an hour to accommodate the late arrival. Well, that would mean by the time I got back on ship I would be rushed before my dinner reservation. And after being rushed the previous day getting from excursion to spa, I didn’t love that idea. So I was pretty frustrated and basically said, I want to cancel (the manager did call my room later and refunded me the amount I paid). And I headed back to my room…

I mean, in reality I should have just waited in the tender line. It probably wouldn’t have been that bad and snorkeling would have been fun. And I could have moved dinner back a bit. But at that point I still was feeling the loneliness of being on a solo cruise. So I was just over it all and turned that day into an at-sea day instead.

I chilled at the pool and hot tub. Got some lunch from the grill (yummy chicken tenders and hot dog), which I actually ate down on my verandah. And relaxed most of the day. (You can see my alarm clock which I had out there to keep track of time lol.)

KHpCO7Z.jpg
M6erXRt.jpg

I also got some room service – cheese plate and more chicken tenders, lol!

hHbsjKJ.jpg
AjjHmaP.jpg

For dinner, it was a Palo night.

eBl5mKQ.jpg
1tjbOuh.jpg
GgC1jHz.jpg
XozWIKk.jpg
rV65Sr4.jpg
No4gMyR.jpg

Amuse bouchée to start, which I believe was an individual gnocchi (they no longer had the gnocchi appetizer or charcuterie cart on the menu)

rNGCwsq.jpg
46KbTKP.jpg

My actual appetizer – Caprese salad

uMkLk4r.jpg
8Q4SFv8.jpg

Sorbet palate cleanser

sOgqn8a.jpg

Entrée – the Pappardelle (grilled lobster, pappardale pasta, leeks, salmon caviar, truffle oil, tarragon cream sauce).

QMneP8F.jpg

Chocolate souffle for dessert

T0GlBuB.jpg
tGTpgXR.jpg

And final lemonicello shot

2Uwy8X8.jpg

So, overall I didn’t have the most amazing experience this time. My previous cruise my mom and I did Palo and it was absolutely delicious. This time it was good, very good, but not mind blowingly amazing like before. I think I had hyped it up too much in my head. And again, overall it was a meh day, which was a shame… I am looking forward to trying Palo again on my Alaska cruise next year, but am disappointed about how they switched from a fixed price to a la carte pricing (really means you aren't going to be able to try as many new dishes).

Towel animal tonight. (I skipped the show, which was Frozen; I had seen Frozen on the Wonder in 2019 and, while cute, it didn't hold a candle to the DCA version.)

WO8Lktl.jpg

Coming up – Jamaica…would it go better than Grand Cayman?

Day 11 – March 4, 2020
Jamaica, Ziplining, Tubing, and Star Wars Takeover

Another port day, this time at Falmouth Jamaica. Hopefully it would be better than the previous day!

Breakfast at cabanas. Waffles with chocolate sauce and whipped cream, and sausage!

qgHCFZ0.jpg

I admired this display in the hallway.

G6Gk2rW.jpg

A pretty big group of people leaving all together for excursions so we were lined up (they tried to have us stay in the shade since it was pretty hot today)

kCoWA9o.jpg
fUoIVNw.jpg

I was unsure what to book for this port. I knew a lot of people say to check out Dunn’s Falls. And I originally had booked a Green Grotto Cave exploration. But ultimately I switched to “Adrenaline Zipline and River Tubing with Adventure Falls”: Take a laid-back ride down a cool river, then zoom through the treetops in a relaxing and exciting adventure!

This was at the Good Hope Estate, which has a bunch of different things, including a historical house (with tea and tours), as well as the adventure type things (zipline, tubing, kayak, water slides, etc).

The bus there was actually pretty fun with a cool guide who liked to throw out (questionable) facts. But I was amused.

ZLLKZan.jpg

All hooked up and ready to zipline! I had my phone in a waterproof pouch around my neck so I could bring it with me (but that also is why it sometimes looks like there is a layer of plastic in front of the photos…because there is a layer of plastic in front of the camera lol).

uRsa4HD.jpg

(Oh and I was concerned about my weight with this, as some tours had listed a limit that I exceeded, while the one I did book would have me be ok. I did end up needing a slightly different harness hookup, but got to go anyways.)

There also was a fairly large group of people doing this, probably too many for the tour guides as we could have long backups at some of the ziplines. But the views were worth it.

oazu8lh.jpg
Pjstsmt.jpg
6d3FtSV.jpg

I did film two of my ‘zips’.

It was a lot of fun. Though I am so awkward I was a mess on those ziplines! We were given instructions for how to slow down as we approached the end of each line, but we had to hold the right amount (too little and we don’t stop; too much and we could wrench our arms out). And then I also tried to lift up my feet enough, but didn’t always get over the platform, which once made my shoe fly off; luckily it landed on the platform and not in the river below!

Anyways, it was still fun!

LcxA5jm.jpg

Afterwards, it was time for tubing. This also was where the guides were a bit overwhelmed with the number of people who had signed up, so there was a delay getting everyone hooked up.

F5hvjkD.jpg
MQAFTQE.jpg

But it was very relaxing – basically you are in a line of inflatables tied together and led by your guide and you just float down the river. The guides were hilarious and really tried to entertain, which was just really lovely! And so relaxing! Some areas of the river were very shallow, but others were really deep so you could swim if you wanted (I didn't bother though).

EhEC1aa.jpg
h0uhGbD.jpg
J9TagPA.jpg
dB4NdGt.jpg
GHQ5byD.jpg
ErdIu76.jpg
WO4QwRo.jpg
ABFFF0L.jpg
Vwiecn4.jpg

After the tubing we got lunch (looks like a jerk chicken and some fried bread)

sGcWefK.jpg
n7FJf5B.jpg

They had a pool, some waterfalls and a waterslide we could enjoy and I got to see a lot of the guides doing cannonballs with the kids on the excursion. I didn’t have time to hang out there though.

fdxMAWi.jpg

Oh, and do you know the show 90 Day Fiance, where Americans end up engaged to foreigners and have them come to the US on a 90 day visa to get married? Lets just say when the guides found out I was solo on the excursion I got multiple offers to join that show, lol!

Overall, I had a lot of fun on this excursion. I think it was made more fun with the guides who were just very friendly and goofy (they were tipped well). I would recommend it.

But the delays meant it was getting close to the last time buses would be going from the estate to the port (they basically ran buses every 30 minutes for all of the people doing excursions there). So I didn’t stay for the pool and instead caught one of the buses (I ran into my German tablemates too), and back to the port.

gqP3hPS.jpg
NwXGBpy.jpg

Overall, I wish I could have spent more time and seen more of Jamaica. For some reason, that island just clicked with me. I wouldn’t go back solo (for safety), but maybe one day I will get to go back and see more. (My favorite band, Hanson, does annual week-long concert/resort stays, so maybe I can do that eventually.)

Back on the ship I found a relaxing place up on deck to look over Jamaica and also picked up some snacks.

QZSeY4t.jpg
PB36IiN.jpg
gotBHpp.jpg

And ran into this demonstration in the lobby

Dinner tonight was back at Enchanted Garden. While this was my favorite restaurant themewise, this actually was the menu I was least interested in (Prince & Princess), so had hoped to have a dinner rotation where this would be on Palo night, but instead I ended up missing Animator’s Palate animation night, which was a shame.

VA20oPX.jpg
OrW9fyF.jpg
gCqr29K.jpg

Bread – Multigrain and country currant rolls.

SYSUJeZ.jpg

Appetizer I got the Garlic and Parsley Sauteed Shrimp (on a Jambalaya Rice), and the Enchanted Garden Platter (selection of charcuterie with a whole-grain baguette and peach marmalade). If you notice, I often didn’t bother with soup or salad, preferring just to get two appetizers instead.

zAht0VO.jpg
qbZSd32.jpg

Entrée, the New York Strip Steak (with truffle layer potatoes, honey parsnips, and buttered spinach with a pepper sauce on the side).

vNIyG2h.jpg

And for dessert it looks like I got a Tiramisu and a White Chocolate Bread Pudding.

T7JZuDR.jpg
obhnH0p.jpg

My German tablemate got this Red Rose, but I’m honestly not sure what it was as it doesn’t match up to anything on the menus on DCL blog! Maybe it was the strawberries and cream tower?

Ai6w9Ld.jpg

Overall, the meal was decent. Probably my least favorite rotational dinner, so I do wish I had gone and switched my dining rotation after all (though I did get along with these table mates, so who knows…)

t9YAjn7.jpg

Also, we were rocking and rolling!

Tonight it was the kick-off of Star Wars Day at Sea, so everyone got these banners on their beds!

kPXRdiK.jpg

And plenty of people decided to hang out in the atrium…

PAob0q8.jpg
iVMKgsc.jpg
HHBIA6E.jpg
ONHQ7MH.jpg

Where we were all “surprised” when Darth Vader came out and took over the ship!

4juPl7C.jpg
W6svesp.jpg
jTDddvE.jpg
nVgBGwT.jpg
fJwb0gG.jpg
BEckfXa.jpg

And it was off to bed! A busy day at sea tomorrow!

(One thing – I’m not 100% sure what night it was, but I’m going to put it here. My neighbors were pretty horrible! Very loud and noisy, and that extended onto the verandah as well as the hallway and connecting door. I think it was a large group of multiple families and the kids (teens and tweens) would hang out in the room next door since it was a big verandah. But they were so rude and would just be shouting outside the ship. The families even would shout at each other from their verandahs in different rooms on totally different decks. One point I finally had it and I basically slammed open my verandah door and stomped out there. I didn’t say anything but did hear the say “oh, were we loud?” You think! Just so aggravating!)

Coming up – Star Wars Day at Sea!

Day 12, March 5, 2020
Star Wars Day at Sea, Part 1!

Today was the day I picked the entire cruise – Star Wars Day at Sea!

Can you tell who I was dressed as?

kp4HdT4.jpg

Yup, Din Djarin from the Mandalorian! I wasn’t sure what I was going to wear for the cruise and had so many other things going on at the end of 2019 I didn’t have much energy for it until after I got back from WDW in January. I considered a variety of female characters, but then finally decided it would be cool to be someone from The Mandalorian. But of course I still had to consider comfort, as it would be the middle of the Caribbean and could be warm! I had found an etsy site which makes a lot of the rundisney outfits, which mostly were tank tops and skirts, but unfortunately it was too late for anything to arrive in time for my trip. I had even considered being Cara Dune, though I’m very happy I didn’t do that, since while I like the character, that actress has proven herself to be a horrible person. (I would have liked to be the Armorer, but couldn’t find good costume outfits.)

Eventually, I ordered a printed tank top from another company on etsy and my mom and I sewed a cape onto the back. My mom also helped make me the skirt, though I also wore bike shorts underneath. I ended up ordering two crocheted Baby Yoda’s from etsy; the smaller one used with the magnet and came around with me everywhere, while the larger one was saved for this day. For the belt, it didn’t quite match Mando’s, but was the Jedi belt I got from Batuu; it worked well to fit my phone and KTTW card into the pocket and also I could loop Baby Yoda through part of it so I didn’t have to carry him around.

1AynwEF.jpg

Mando wears plenty of armor, so I bought some renaissance wrist cuffs off amazon and customized them with some bullets (pieces of foam cut and covered in silver duct tape) and other fabric swatches. And the legs were soccer shin pads (though I accidentally bought kid sizes, so they were tight) decorated the same way.

YIBFBpP.jpg

Shoes – I got some brown fabric flip flops that were comfy and color coordinated. I got a necklace from etsy with the mudhorn symbol, and then I made a felt hair clip of Mando’s helmet (rather than have to do a full helmet). So, overall I think it turned out pretty well!

Ok, on with the day – there are so many activities happening it’s impossible to do them all!

I think just a quick breakfast, maybe at Cabanas, but no photo. I did stop at Cove Café where I got some vanilla and chocolate shortbread cookies, yummy!

wbVOHD4.jpg
HeSWRhX.jpg

I then headed for Star Wars quote trivia. Unfortunately I didn’t do too well – some of the quotes were pretty obscure!

1pM4tU7.jpg
8urktjP.jpg

Plenty of characters hang around the atrium, so I got a photo with Ezra and Sabine (from Rebels). Boba stopped by and gave his fellow Mandalorian a head nod.

jJikAqF.jpg
DH7MQgV.jpg

And then made my way around to the various photo props! They had some of these up all cruise, but I waited until I was dressed appropriately!

1zIfDGT.jpg
ljDrAJp.jpg
fPypV4y.jpg
9i6rDUI.jpg
VULIaEh.jpg
mUuwCbo.jpg
Za7yDJA.jpg
SgdzxjI.jpg

They were playing episodes of The Mandalorian in the theatre, so I wanted to try and see it. I did get in to see the very end of the first episode (right at the Baby Yoda reveal), but it was pretty crowded and a pretty full day, so I couldn’t stay for long.

BzYk3l7.jpg
T0ojpxZ.jpg

Character meet with Darth Vader (I prebooked this one)

kjv9q4z.jpg
0FRSCpv.jpg
SQAfTYb.jpg

And I caught part of the Star Wars at Lightspeed, which was pretty funny. Basically some entertainment CMs try to re-enact the full series with props but quickly, i.e. at lightspeed! Unfortunately no time to see the full show though.

0zQzLJG.jpg
pnW0Odx.jpg

Because it was time for a meet and greet with C3PO and R2-D2! A bit of a wait here, but it was cool to see them since they don’t meet in parks normally!

oWDS02z.jpg
Lq19IDv.jpg

(I think I actually had tickets to also meet Chewie, but the meet and greet lines were pretty long and slow so I didn’t want to deal waiting in another one)

Time for lunch.

otWzPcM.jpg

I actually was joined at the next table with a guy who I realized was one of the actors from the shows (he had the badge and look of a dancer/actor and confirmed he played Kristoff in Frozen, plus some other parts in the other shows). We had a nice little chat, nothing crazy. He confirmed that the next group of cast had boarded with my group and the next cruise was the last one for his group. Of course that would be the last cruise for the Fantasy, so it was good they at least got their send-off, though too bad the next group never got to perform properly!

I bid adieu because it was time for pool patrol! This is fun because the First Order takes over Funnel Vision asking for info on Rey. She then has to go on the run from the stormtroopers who patrol the pool deck.

zPg0Udh.jpg
c9W6qf5.jpg
ayBLgfN.jpg
VxNMI1Y.jpg

Back to the atrium for the “Celebrate the Saga” and costume celebration.

26zav9I.jpg

I did run into Ashoka, though she was a bit shorter than expected, lol!

3KRLmj7.jpg

And spied some other people around the atrium.

SSrFOnD.jpg
4dZehnK.jpg
EhfmWF3.jpg
8OTiXO1.jpg
wmEew8j.jpg
FL421Pz.jpg
jyici8h.jpg
uvlGKaf.jpg
nbRHXzP.jpg

Celebrate the Saga was a bit underwhelming. But the costume celebration was fun, dividing between good guys – bad guys – droids/creatures. I was hoping I would get called up to explain my outfit (I was on the second atrium level) but nope. Oh well!

ZBMcPGc.jpg

These sisters had awesome outfits – a Mulan jedi and Belle Amidala!

GTv2C8c.jpg

Coming up: Star Wars trivia and deck show

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter