Hindsight is 2020 - A VERY late trip report (NYE and Feb/March cruise) - Updated 8/27-Off the cruise and a VIP Tour!

Next, you hop on the train and head over to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. We could see some of the Rhinos walking thru their barn from the train.

NGNLOku.jpg
86aQyJz.jpg
NVjG2H8.jpg

The next stop takes place just at the station (not at the building), with more food options and some other activities.

First, food (a couple of different food stations here): Tofaa (chocolate caramel-dipped green apples), Charcutamatata (meat and cheese selection with sweety drop peppers and castelvetrano olives), Kachumbari (tomato and citrus salad), trail mix bar (Oats, raisins and chocolate chips). Also a “hot dog cart” which has a Boerie Roll (south African farmer’s style sausage, peppadews, pickled sweet potato-apple slaw), though I got it without toppings.

hW67CEi.jpg

I went back for several helpings of the chocolate/caramel apples, though I also knew to not overdo it as there were a lot more food options back in Harambe!

ZxX29Oo.jpg

To drink, they had the Wanjohi’s Dawa (blend of tequila and pineapple, mango and ancho chili), Chief’s Shandy (tusker lager blended with lemonade), and more beer and wine. If you were a big wine person, you could really try out a lot of them at this event! Also water, lemonade, Kitamu cooler, and iced tea as nonalcoholic options.

For activities, there is a virtual reality experience, where you put on VR goggles and you basically get transported into the center of the lion enclosure on Kilimanjaro Safari. It was pretty fun when you would spin around and suddenly a lion would appear! Very fun!

pCqVjr2.jpg

Afterwards they gave you a swipe of copper paint (either forehead of wrist); like Simba in the beginning of Lion King.

JUoeF43.jpg

Rafiki and Timon are also hanging out at the station. Absolutely no wait for them and we both got to have some great experiences. Rafiki tried to steal Baby Yoda though!

kppTVSb.jpg
KimBRfl.jpg
xmwaONQ.jpg
4v6OYNa.jpg
sBPHjuz.jpg
EmUBILa.jpg

Also it was fun watching them goof around when no one was meeting with them!

esgSYix.jpg
C189srE.jpg
TuEuoHj.jpg

After we ate what we wanted and did all the activities, we headed back on the train, with a goodbye from our buddies!

qm81RIE.jpg
UtHPk5e.jpg
sbCecsk.jpg
gynfinN.jpg
exuonL2.gif

Back in Harambe, it was pretty hopping with a live band (despite the rain coming down)

DgCPLV8.jpg

For food, we had plenty of options, with 5 different stations, each themed for a different Big 5 animal.

For Cape Buffalo, the flavors “are gathered from across the continent of Africa, representing the vast range the cape buffalo roam”. There was Cape Malay Shrimp Curry (with sustainable shrimp, cape malay green coconut curry, basmati rice), Spiced Chickpea fritter (pickled vegetables, cumin-garlic yogurt sauce), African fruit fool.

mAICayZ.jpg

For Lion, the focus was on meat, as the lion is carnivorous. Hanger Steak (herb-infused mealie, chakalaka, red wine sauce), Tandoori-marinated chicken (fingerling potatoes, kool slaai, mango sambal), Chicken tenders.

VkDGQij.jpg

For the Leopard, flavors of fish and meat, as leopards swim and hunt. Sustainable fish (coriander-fennel slaw, dhania chutney), Grilled lamb (goat cheese polenta, roasted garlic sauce), corndog.

RIdtxOW.jpg

For the Elephant, a focus on honey to represent the Elephants and Bees Conservation Project. Smoked, Honey-glazed pork belly (white bean puree, caramelized apple-bacon chutney, curry-apple gastrique), grilled sweet corn (citrus aioli, chili-lime spice, farmer’s cheese), barbequed ribs.

bGxoqVr.jpg

For the Rhino, vegetarian selections. Vegetable curry (roasted seasonal vegetables over basmati rice), Potato and pea samosa (pickled vegetables, tamarind dipping sauce), macaroni and cheese, vegan bunny chow.

fUMO9Cf.jpg

Some food I ended up getting – the Cape Malay Shrimp Curry, Hanger steak. Then the Honey pork belly, mac and cheese, corn dog, lamb. All was delicious but the Lamb was my favorite (I probably got more than one of the lamb just didn’t take photos)! Also the mac and cheese was great. These were all such superb dishes they belong at restaurants like Sanaa or Jiko! I hope they bring this event back eventually.

SqVnvsU.jpg
F2AZ03e.jpg

I don’t have a photo of any drinks, but checking some other reviews, looks like they had a coffee liqueur drink, a sangria, and a Safari Sunset (blend of rums and the fresh flavors of passion fruit, strawberry, orange and guava topped with a mint sprig). Based on my tastes, I probably had the Safari Sunset.

For dessert, some great options, though I forgot to take a photo of the table. These are the Honey Caramel Candy Bars, S’more lion pop, S’mores macaroon, and chocolate covered strawberry. They also had some other options but I was just too stuffed!

HocHR44.jpg

A station was at the side where you made your own necklace. You picked an animal and then some colored beads which represented certain traits.

Ux9Bpdn.jpg
vffGHHL.jpg

Baby Yoda models mine, which has Gold (royalty, wealth, spiritual purity), Purple (earth, healing, feminity), Blue (peace, harmony, love), and Red (blood, strong political and spiritual feelings). Complete with a Leopard charm. I don’t think I chose based on actual color representations, more just what I liked, lol!

ZLt43nz.jpg
6c7EMLG.jpg

Throughout the event the band played and people danced (including some who may have partook in the all-you-can-drink a bit much). Too bad it was rainy, but it looked like fun!

rzKtvnH.jpg
O2Eu3vb.jpg

Overall, this was a great event! I’ve mentioned before but I hope they bring it back. Amazing food, great atmosphere, fun activities. It was pricy, at $125, but if you drink a lot it would be very worthwhile. (Zach and I don’t drink that much, but I still didn’t feel like I overpaid.)

Leaving, some gorgeous empty park shots! Also we noticed some sound effects in Africa, which you normally can’t hear due to all the people (things like people working or living in the apartments above Tusker House).

GanLOQR.jpg
7nVb1wL.jpg
9vsWBfy.jpg

Zach dropped me at Kidani and then I crashed for the night.

Coming up: some more food experiences

Down to Jingle Cruise (105 min standby). This was the fastpass I had switched around after we had a great cruise a couple of days earlier. This time it was just fine…

6P4MWKq.jpg
98ukDa7.jpg
WASBmbk.jpg
pJAPnv6.jpg
GmtuB69.jpg
r46v1kT.jpg
ckBvOhL.jpg
SKQhJX2.jpg
Wt3X5GY.jpg

It was a hot day, so gotta get that Mickey Bar!

IxHixlE.jpg

And final Fastpass at Splash Mountain. Standby wait time 180 min, but they had actually shut off the standby line since the FP one got sooo long! Like it wrapped around every taped marker on the ground, went back and forth a couple times over the bridge towards Pecos Bill! I think it ended up being over a 45 minute fastpass line!

3D3q3kR.jpg
A81b3yZ.jpg
IPgfmEe.jpg
dE4YSKn.jpg
VurW9vp.jpg
ryNvzYj.jpg
TmotBgY.jpg
Ug2LfPx.jpg
ssWukfq.jpg
ROhpj4S.jpg
9SPUZMQ.jpg

The crowds were just insane, with extended lines just to go back and forth to Tom Sawyer Island!

ayY1e4E.jpg

So I was outta there! There was no FP availability and every line was just ridiculous, no thanks!
[/QUOE]

Following along. We were there from 1/12- 1/25. We stayed at the RR in 1 BR. Villa and loved it and our dinner at Topolino's. But the crowds were still too heavy for me, especially in MK.

Hi Lesley,
I am loving your report and all the wonderful pictures with baby, so fun!
The progressive dinner at AK looks lovely, I do hope it comes back. I would love this.
When are you heading back to WDW? It would be fun to see you again!

That event looks like SO much fun, and a great example of something I would never know about if it wasn't for the Dis. I really hope this is something they bring back - I agree that $125 really is not a bad deal for the nice experience, good food, and open bar with fun drinks. Glad you squeezed it in right before Covid!

Hi Lesley,
I am loving your report and all the wonderful pictures with baby, so fun!
The progressive dinner at AK looks lovely, I do hope it comes back. I would love this.
When are you heading back to WDW? It would be fun to see you again!
Thanks! The dinner was fun - I'm sure you guys would love it so hopefully it will be brought back!

I'm actually doing a short trip in 2 weeks in order to see HEA! And then a week trip in December for Christmas stuff.
Sounds like such a fun event!!
It was! Sophisticated but still Disney!
That event looks like SO much fun, and a great example of something I would never know about if it wasn't for the Dis. I really hope this is something they bring back - I agree that $125 really is not a bad deal for the nice experience, good food, and open bar with fun drinks. Glad you squeezed it in right before Covid!
I think I heard about it on distwitter but it was reading someone else's trip report here that convinced me to go ahead and do it!

Day 5, Thursday, February 27, 2020

Part 1 – 1900 Park Fare breakfast and Animal Kingdom carvings

It was getting chillier, even during the day, so I pulled out my retro-Mickey Mouse Club jacket.

Vq1Kbfv.jpg

This is another example of awkward timing. On Wednesday my FPs were at MK but I went to the dinner event at AK. Today my FPs were at AK, but my day started at the Grand Floridian!

u2U3tdA.jpg
yowvB2z.jpg

Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. I had wanted to try this for a while and it never worked out timewise, but I believe I grabbed this ADR not too long before my trip.

bGEUthI.jpg
0LY7oc1.jpg

Some food items. Gotta love that bread pudding and the strawberry soup!

70A2q8y.jpg
IBe6Slm.jpg

All of the characters loved Baby Yoda, and it was great!

Mary Poppins actually just decided to chill out at my table for a bit! And I love that she’s holding Baby’s hand during the photo!

CLxn1Pg.jpg

Winnie the Pooh gave him a hug, and then posed while he was sitting at the table.

kRBmvjj.jpg
Ukm6gCZ.jpg

The Mad Hatter loved this idea I had!

1QdyuUG.jpg

Hide and Seek, Round ? (I lost track…) Though these aren’t too hard!

lelQXZV.jpg
rV2LT6j.jpg

Solution
xbmZyga.jpg
bPvuxUM.jpg

I appreciated our shadows!

XkOreDO.jpg

And over to Animal Kingdom.

ZjjaFJ5.jpg
nthyvEx.jpg
EPArSfE.jpg

These didn’t come in Baby’s size.

uWfvjYr.jpg

Sounds weird, but I ended up going in It’s Tough to be a Bug. This was my first time seeing the show in AK (I’ve seen it in DCA plenty of times before it closed).

SWFXntV.jpg

But I didn’t go for the show – I really just wanted to see the Tree of Life carvings, especially the dinosaurs at the base.

1fWYRwD.jpg
pDgHWyi.jpg
bdMe0MA.jpg
Qlu7Z93.jpg
v43mlBK.jpg
oA9ZaO9.jpg
siCwZ6w.jpg
FyYiAD0.jpg
oqtNGkE.jpg
pTNCWpg.jpg

Time for the show. None of the bugs flew off with Baby at least!

jBeuwQT.jpg

Love the murals that show up on the gates.

rx0a9NP.jpg

Into Pandora

8UL468q.jpg
QGod2tX.jpg
xuJsXFQ.jpg
xROK42N.jpg
ccIXmt3.jpg
PSYdIsG.jpg

I appreciated the spitting crustaceans

U4PpmaZ.jpg
zUqlbPz.jpg

Typical first fastpass, Flight of Passage.

mawh5cj.jpg

Hide and Seek, again!

B4zWLgy.jpg
4WUmzV1.jpg

Solution
vABDbcw.jpg
VZjmTK1.jpg

Up to Africa. I didn’t do the Lion King scavenger hunt but I recognized a couple of statues.

Sxm6oY0.jpg
BlexPdW.jpg

Second fastpass, Kilimanjaro Safaris.

dNE50U0.jpg
dhUdd0k.jpg
uBvAm1X.jpg

Animal Spam

2p27kaQ.jpg
pqKavqE.jpg
JvcWd7q.jpg
FNvvvKu.jpg

And then, baby Zebra! So cute! We even got to see him/her nursing from momma!

xOqZlYs.jpg
0E5Dl2N.jpg
0s5X3LG.jpg

All the characters at 1900 Park Fare looked like they had a good time with you and baby yoda. I feel like that helps with the interaction with them.

Is Bug's Life open yet? I kind of like it.. It's not a must do but I don't hate it... you know?

All the characters at 1900 Park Fare looked like they had a good time with you and baby yoda. I feel like that helps with the interaction with them.

Is Bug's Life open yet? I kind of like it.. It's not a must do but I don't hate it... you know?
Yeah I think it is! It always seems like a nice cool-down spot for me. I think this time I did some finagling with FPs so I could use that line as the standby was actually super long!

Part 2 – Baby Douglas and Takumi Tei

Over to Gorilla Falls trail.

yofDFJ2.jpg

In the Columbus Monkey area I got an awesome experience watching Baby Douglas!

EwnvCQZ.jpg
W3pUEUt.jpg
4k4lYbD.jpg
u4iS7BK.jpg

I think he was only a few weeks old and his momma brought him right over to the side of the enclosure I was standing and chatting with the CM.

rlz0CWC.jpg
gZGEyCU.jpg

His older sister also came over and decided to cuddle him, which he wasn’t too happy about. But mom took the opportunity to get some food without him hanging on.

XAW4Ee0.jpg
YMNZJHB.jpg
qT5xoHB.jpg
OsvdbBK.jpg
VM7pRYG.jpg
sCwgEAs.jpg
e0hXquc.jpg

Eventually she came back over and took him back. (The CM did radio the keepers backstage to let them know they may need to intervene by calling back in mom or sister backstage.)

68fLvoL.jpg
H995qB9.jpg

It was just so cool and he was so cute!

The solitary male hippo was also out of the water and having some lunch.

4qs3J4L.jpg

And I got to spy on the older baby zebras (maybe they count as teens now?)

2ZOQFwj.jpg

Some gorilla shots from the glass observation area.

S7anQ1A.jpg
pnoXwGb.jpg
kK6Idah.jpg
bcHd2Sa.jpg

But the best part was in the open air area, one of the boy gorillas was climbing a tree! He was just ok with it and eventually fell out but I don’t think I’ve really seen them climbing before.

hECSg72.jpg
IarsCVz.jpg
2HkXNfs.jpg
Wgl2p0j.jpg

Grace also was visible up on the crest of the hill, though her momma moved along and she hung on for the ride!

qOYEAkO.jpg
xL5pjqM.jpg

Always a great time along the animal trails!

Some photopass stops

E1RJAV5.jpg
Lj9WlXC.jpg
zXQi9oD.jpg
b9cIgf1.jpg

And last fastpass at Everest.

Q5Uqlqc.jpg

Animal Kingdom is always my favorite park!

After chilling and getting cleaned up in my room for a bit, I was off to my dinner destination, but I decided to dress up slightly for it! (And yes, I also brought the jean jacket as it was getting a bit chilly; I also decided to just Uber to Beach Club so I wouldn't have to a) wait for a bus, and b) not have to walk all the way through the park)

q9s8aWv.jpg

Photopass in Epcot.

vTFziE3.jpg
unA8Fuu.jpg
qvtmVgW.jpg

I had time so decided to check out the Beauty and the Beast sing along. I did like the costumes and displays in the lobby.

zNSVRBS.jpg
FWBm1Mh.jpg
K0eOExd.jpg
ihsBBGe.jpg
JENkLn0.jpg
sorHJ9M.jpg

But that was about all. This actual show was sooo bad! I mean, it was just not worthwhile at all. I almost walked out of the theatre! It could be a fun sing-along if done properly, but definitely was not done well and also they removed a great show of Impressions de France. I don’t remember if they were still showing Impressions later in the evening, but it really was annoying. I don’t plan on ever going back to see the BatB sing along.

Ofxzz7B.jpg

But onto better things, dinner. Zach was actually meeting me for this one and I made him dress nicely (though there were people dressed in typical park gear). We were getting to try Takumi-Tei.

YVkPKFS.jpg
2ws0mJo.jpg

It really is a lovely atmosphere. So peaceful and they spent a lot of money on the decorations inside.

v31lhqN.jpg
aoRoxND.jpg

I ended up getting the Omakase Tasting Menu. Zach got an individual appetizer and entrée, I believe.

Otoshi, Imagined daily by the chefs of Takumi-Tei. Looks like some sort of beef on seaweed?

k6yqE0Y.jpg

Temari Sushi. Chef-selected assortment of oceanic delicacies. The little sushi balls were pretty cute (though I requested no sea urchin and they had no problem adding an extra salmon instead).

yzaIgU1.jpg

My appetizer - Nikomi Wagyu. Roasted bone marrow, braised wagyu shortrib, yuzu kosho, wasabi shiso bavaroise, warishita. Oh so good! This was so rich and so much food! I could see it being an actual entrée (especially if it was actually in Japan, not America where we have such big portions).

q5VoFTc.jpg

Looks like Zach got Hama no Kani. Ponzu crab, toasted crab, heirloom tomato, watermelon radish tsukemono, leek gel, sesame pollen, plum wine. I think he really liked this too.

oSWoWxi.jpg

Hashiyasume. Palate cleansing course. Ginger shaved ice. Definitely refreshing, though also very strong.

b9tpDeQ.jpg

My entrée - Wagyu Tabekurabe. Japanese A-5 Wagyu strip steak paired with American wagyu strip steak, roast cippolini onion, curried potato, seasonal mushroom, fresh grated wasabi, yuzu kosho, arima sansho pepper reduction. This was an experience. Both steaks were very tender and delicate. I know you are supposed to say you prefer the Japanese steak, but I think for my tastes, I preferred the American steak. The Japanese steak had a bit too much fat, which I know helps to make it tender, but I just prefer less of it, though I do have to admit it was well-marbelized

gXy3UBN.jpg

I don’t have photos of Zach’s steak, but I know he got one of the expensive ones (though the cheapest steak dish is $85 so they are all expensive in my eyes), and while he said it was delicious, wasn’t sure if he would say the price was worth it.

Shizuku. Water cake, yuzu crumble, black grape, blackberry sake. Nice, I did like the crumble and the sauce. Water cake is pretty much a vehicle for whatever toppings you have with it. I think I shared this with Zach though.

3dBRNXo.jpg

Tea ceremony. Traditional ceremony featuring Matcha Green Tea. I actually don’t really like green tea, but I did participate in the ceremony, including sipping the tea, for show. It was a cool ceremony to see though and I think our servers were pleased to share it with us.

S76Fwzq.jpg
Q94qICE.gif
HXyYq6I.gif
X4RZb4H.jpg
alCX1Kr.jpg
uITboqH.jpg
qQxh0Kv.jpg

Some decorations inside. I love how each “room” is themed to a different element: water, wood, stone, paper, (and I forgot the last one); We ate in the Wood room.

tQyzOL5.jpg
mEDDcva.jpg
7FJ64px.jpg
yTISx4J.jpg
ZpQHJJm.jpg
QHZ9v69.jpg
nI5YRMf.jpg

At the end of the meal they gave me a little gift. I think these are colored pressed sugars? I just know they remain in the sealed bottle because it’s so cute!

vTFawt1.jpg

A very expensive meal, but also very lovely! It’s definitely a splurge type of dinner, but I wouldn’t be opposed to going again one day!

Zach graciously drove me back to Kidani and it certainly was getting chillier and chillier!

Coming up – Orlando Informer Meetup!

Day 6 – Friday, February 28, 2020

Part 1 – Over to the “dark” side of town for Mardi Gras!

Most of today was pretty low-key. I think I had some FPs set up but I never ended up using them. Instead I let myself sleep in, then got up to start packing up everything as I was leaving on the cruise in the morning!

Of course I did enjoy my animal views

6AIlL0v.jpg
VdQMZth.jpg

For lunch I stopped down at Sanaa and got the bread service, but with all 5 breads being regular Naan. I’m nothing if not predictable. (I also ate at the bar rather than sit at a table.) I think I ended up taking 2 of the breads back to the room, where I did eat them the next morning.

crKOAlc.jpg

Around 4pm I headed out for my evening plans – heading to the dark side!

s04JbO7.jpg
2hFwrly.jpg

Today was the Orlando Informer meetup! I’ve done these once before (and have since bought tickets for the upcoming one in December), so was psyched when they announced the spring dates and I would already be in town for the cruise! If you haven’t heard about this – it’s basically Disney After Hours but on steroids. Both parks, pretty much every ride with minimal to no wait, and includes unlimited food! Also it’s 5 hrs long, which is pretty cool!

0SsEQgX.jpg

Gotta show Baby Yoda the other side of town (though he got a bit shy so spent most of the event in my backpack).

0HjHBwi.jpg
03LaClL.jpg

You can get into the park 2 hrs before the start, so I started at the Studios.

dIAHiDf.jpg

The event also started coming with a food card, so you get one quick-service meal during normal park operations (the food usually waits until 1 hr, so they can clear the day guests, but means you can get pretty hungry by that time). I used my food at the Italian place in the Studios park and got spaghetti and meatballs. I would have considered using it at the Leaky Cauldron (since their fish and chips are great), but that always has a long line.

QKHNWzE.jpg

Oh and this was during their mardi gras celebration, so I stuck around to see the parade! I discovered the best place to watch these parades is right in front of a planter. So when they throw beads over your head, sometimes they get caught up in the plants and you make out like a bandit!

So, parade spam! I filmed the whole thing, but please excuse how bumpy it is – I was grabbing necklaces too! (I created some gifs below with the float photos)

Opening dancers. They also had a series of “cop” motorcycles doing figure-8’s.

5g79kGK.jpg
ZIV47DS.jpg
Y6xFy3P.jpg

Opening float – it was interesting how they were all towed by trucks.

fTTA27S.jpg
sQQmGPN.jpg
3J4GINn.jpg
d7FHlYm.jpg

5itBiyo.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter