Himalayan Salt Lamps

Luv0fDisney

DIS Veteran
I'm interested in buying a Himalayan Salt Lamp for my room as we are going to redo it, with a hard wood floor (i'm excited).

I'm curious whether or not Himalayan Salt Lamps really work for health benefits such as:
Increases blood flow, Improves Sleeping, Boosts Serotonin Levels, Reduces Asthma Symptoms, Increases Energy Levels, Improves Your Mood, Improves Breathing, Reduces Stress…

If a lamp was going to do all as described above, I'd expect a genie to be coming out of it too.

However, I know several therapist that have one in their offices. I've no idea if it does anything but I have seen several reports about people visiting salt caves
so what the heck, maybe lamp does something.

I got one because I figured it couldn't hurt. I mostly got it because I was so congested in the winter. Not sure it helps but I love the light it gives off.

I mean, it's a lamp carved out of pink salt... It's going to give off pink light. That's about it.

There has been no scientific study to indicate if the salt lamp produces any ions, let alone ions in any significant amount. If the lamp produced ions, it is possible it could neutralize some airborne viruses, such as the flu. In a 2002 study, air ionizers have seen to be beneficial to prevent viruses that could be contracted in a healthcare environment. However, a different study published in 2013 refuted the first one.

A change in ions in the air has been shown to help animal moods but humans seem unaffected. And again, it isn't even know if the lamp produces ions anyway!

Last edited:

It's just a clever way to market that type of salt. You won't find any proof of all their medical claims as no scientifically valid studies have ever been done. FDA is usually pretty good at preventing such nonsense claims in any advertising done in the US. Also wouldn't be surprised to find it isn't actually from the Himalayas, but just some sort of colorful sea salt.

And those “spas” charging big bucks to sit in a big room surrounded by the stuff? Looks kind of cool, but I never bought into the concept.

I live in south Texas. It gets hot and humid here. Mine have somewhat melted. I've picked them up to dust and there was a whole pile of salt stuck to my mantle. And I mean stuck. If you do get one make sure it wont leave anything behind on your nice new floor. And I do love them! I love the soft light and I have noticed a bit of a cleaner smell around it.

Salt lamps are not scientifically shown to produce ions in any meaningful amount. Nor is there scientific evidence that air ionizers are of any benefit .
There is no scientific evidence that salt lamps remove pathogens.
There is no scientific evidence regarding a causal effect on mood or sleep.

They look pretty, are a low light source of light, and create a nice ambiance. And those things might improve your mood and your sleep. But that is the extent of it.

Himalayan salt is popular in the US because it seems exotic to us. It's not even from the Himalayas, technically. It is mined in ONE mine in Pakistan, away from the mountains. Any notion that a chunk of rock has healing powers is nothing more than a myth. Don't waste your money unless you just like how it looks. Don't use it if you live in a high humidity environment, though.

I think there is a lot of validity in non-traditional medicine and health practices but I am not convinced by these lamps. Ingesting mineral rich salts has benefits provided you don't have other health issues that prevent you from consuming salt but being surrounded by it? I don't think this one is real but it also isn't going to hurt and there is nothing wrong with a little placebo effect in most cases.

Any claims that Himalayan Salt Lamps are anything other than pretty, decorative lamps are pseudoscience at best, fraud at worst.

I have one because it provides a pleasing, dim light in a dark room, but that's all it does... besides attract the cat's attention if she sneaks into the room. Get one if you want, but recognize that it's just a decorative lamp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter