• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hilton Head Refurbishment

Just left the resort on Saturday, and there was no evidence that I saw of refurb being done. I was in the same room I had last summer, studio in building 28. I thought it was in desperate need of refurb when I was here last year, and it looks worse this year. Even the room I was in 2 years ago (studio in building 18) needed it then. The carpet really needs to be taken out and replaced. The carpet and the dresser drawers both smelled musty to me.
All 3 of my home resorts (HHI, BWV, VGC) are in need of refurb imho, but this one needs it the most. I'm hoping it gets done by the time I'm back next summer.

Just left the resort on Saturday, and there was no evidence that I saw of refurb being done. I was in the same room I had last summer, studio in building 28. I thought it was in desperate need of refurb when I was here last year, and it looks worse this year. Even the room I was in 2 years ago (studio in building 18) needed it then. The carpet really needs to be taken out and replaced. The carpet and the dresser drawers both smelled musty to me.
All 3 of my home resorts (HHI, BWV, VGC) are in need of refurb imho, but this one needs it the most. I'm hoping it gets done by the time I'm back next summer.
It amazes me how comfortable DVC is with letting these resorts blight the name of DVC. One is the DL flagship yet I hear constantly it is in a state of disrepair. Very sad.

It amazes me how comfortable DVC is with letting these resorts blight the name of DVC. One is the DL flagship yet I hear constantly it is in a state of disrepair. Very sad.
I'm a new owner at Grand Cali, so I'm really hoping it gets the refurb that's rumored for 2024. But of those 3, all of which I stayed at this summer, I thought it was the one in the best condition. I've owned at BWV since 2007 and HHI since 2014 and the rooms seem to get really worn down over time. Of course, I've never actually seen a refurb at HHI. I think the rooms had been recently done when I started going there.

I couldn't even open all of the dresser drawers at BWV, and I didn't even use the dresser at HHI it smelled so musty, and it was the same at HHI last year.

While I agree that Disney and DVC have dropped the ball on upkeep of their resorts, keep in mind that Disney does a great job at touching the heartstrings of those who want a piece of the Disney magic. They see the ads; they experience some wonderful personal touches by CMs (especially at HHI); and then once you've bought in, it's tough to get out for a variety of emotional reasons. Disney long ago gave up on the idea of giving us the total worth of the dollars we spend on them--they've coasted on their laurels for the better part of the past decade and a half.

Last edited:

Does anyone know if legally DVC has to upgrade on a regular schedule based on regulations set up when resorts open or if there is anything in original sales contracts? I seem to remember that this upgrade was originally planned for either late last fall or early 2023. Wish I paid more attention. I think it has already been put on hold. Since our dues pay for this, it seems like it would be required within a certain period of time. We were members for the last upgrade. And we were down there in June. Our room was in pretty good shape but we did have a brand new sofa sleeper in the living room. Made all the difference. What a luxury after the old "sliders". It was comfortable to sit in and the cushions stayed in place. Hope they use this model going forward.

Does anyone know if legally DVC has to upgrade on a regular schedule based on regulations set up when resorts open or if there is anything in original sales contracts? I seem to remember that this upgrade was originally planned for either late last fall or early 2023. Wish I paid more attention. I think it has already been put on hold. Since our dues pay for this, it seems like it would be required within a certain period of time. We were members for the last upgrade. And we were down there in June. Our room was in pretty good shape but we did have a brand new sofa sleeper in the living room. Made all the difference. What a luxury after the old "sliders". It was comfortable to sit in and the cushions stayed in place. Hope they use this model going forward.
As far as I know, there is nothing specific in any of the legal documents regarding the timeline for refurbishment. And in fact, when DVC was established in 1991, plans were that the resorts would undergo soft-good refurbishment every 12 years and full hard-goods refurb every 25 years o_O. It wasn't until the 25th anniversary in 2016 that DVC announced the change to the 7/14 year schedule. I think they tried to adhere to that somewhat, but of course Covid introduced some delays (due to labor and supply chain issues, probably) and then DVC made the decision to push VGF and PVB in front of BRV in 2021, which pushed DHHIR, BWV, and BCV back some more.

I try to console myself by remembering that the Capital Reserves part of our dues is the savings account that pays for refurbs, and the longer BWV has to wait, the more $$ we can save up to pay the so-much-more-expensive refurb costs, so hopefully we'll get better quality furniture, etc. than if BWV had been refurbed last year. Hopefully.

I’ll be there in two weeks. Hope to see some refurb going on. I will ask while I’m there
I'll be there in two weeks, too. I'm just the opposite. I hope I don't see refurb going on. At this point, I hope they wait until after Labor Day.

Any updates on the refurbishment? Are they working on rooms yet? I'll be there a week from Wednesday and curious what will be going on.

Any updates on the refurbishment? Are they working on rooms yet? I'll be there a week from Wednesday and curious what will be going on.
I am wondering this too. I’m thinking of going to Hilton Head for spring break and am wondering if the refurb will be done or mostly done.

Just got back. Resort is fabulous. Lots of construction materials in the parking areas. Buildings 14, 19, 30, 31 have construction fencing. Lots of worker bees. Rooms really need the refresh. Saw boxes of new tile. Windows are blocked off. It's definitely starting.

Here now. Bldgs 14, 19, 30, and 31 are in full swing--there may be another building where they've started but not that I've seen. I know 14 was the first one, but they're not finished given that paper still covers most windows.
Thanks. We will be there next week. Hope it doesn’t impact us too much. I seem to hit refurbs every time I use my DVC!

Dee

Thanks. We will be there next week. Hope it doesn’t impact us too much. I seem to hit refurbs every time I use my DVC!

Dee
It's very muted here: some mesh fencing, extra workers about, but the intimacy and serenity of the grounds, the always exceptional CM interaction, the lovely beach and Beach House, and the overall ambiance is still the same. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter