Hilton Head 101

hi there,
thanks for the reply, DH is on a 13 atm but hopes to be in single digits by sept next year, so if your DH found those courses a good challenge then we are on the right path.
can i ask, what did you do while he golfed, will i be bored?? and is 3 nights too long??
thanks

No, I absolutely didn't get bored. We'd rented bikes for the length of stay, so sometimes I peddled around the resort. Sometimes there'd be an resort activity I'd do (I'm sure many people thought I was at the resort alone), sometimes just went down to Big Murgie's Den, read the Island Packet newspaper, then sat out back watching birds, looking for Dolphins (seen them there). DH usually golfs in the morning, but occasionally tee off right after noon, with me in the golf cart watching wildlife and birds (beware though, some courses don't charge much for a rider, but the Heron Point and the accompanying course charge a lot!). We'd have a big, late breakfast, then go out for dinner afterwards (usually an early bird special). We stayed for 11 days, DH golfed 5, and we were never bored.

No, I absolutely didn't get bored. We'd rented bikes for the length of stay, so sometimes I peddled around the resort. Sometimes there'd be an resort activity I'd do (I'm sure many people thought I was at the resort alone), sometimes just went down to Big Murgie's Den, read the Island Packet newspaper, then sat out back watching birds, looking for Dolphins (seen them there). DH usually golfs in the morning, but occasionally tee off right after noon, with me in the golf cart watching wildlife and birds (beware though, some courses don't charge much for a rider, but the Heron Point and the accompanying course charge a lot!). We'd have a big, late breakfast, then go out for dinner afterwards (usually an early bird special). We stayed for 11 days, DH golfed 5, and we were never bored.

Thanks for the info, I too look like a single traveler as DH also likes to golf in the AM and I hit the parks at rope drop when at wdw. Normally when we are at home his golf doesn't impact me. So I was just wondering since I wont have the parks to entertain me, what do i do, but by the sounds of it I will have plenty to entertain myself. Ah the joys of being a golf widow.

HH is a very special place for us. We tried buying a contract this summer but Disney bought it up in review. Probably worked out for the best because my husband was discovered to have a brain mass and needed brain surgery while the contract was being reveiewed. My husband had some major post op complications and developed some anxiety problems. To help cope, he learned to meditate and imagine himself on the Hilton Head resort pier at sunset. That’s truly his happy place. It really is a wonderful, unique resort. We love the staff and the atmosphere. I wouldn’t even want to be right on the beach. We like having a separate place with a different vibe to travel to. The marsh itself is just wonderful. It’s beautiful but also has a unique smell and sound as well.

I was very lucky to book at HHI for June at the 7th month mark several years ago as kids wanted a beach trip. Worse mistake I ever made .................... bought HHI points immediately.

We love the resort, the beach house, the area food, and especially all the CM.

As I have said in other threads, the cast members at HHI are what all Disney CM used to be.

It was 77 here at HH yesterday (with a low of 66), but we woke up to 60 with a high of only 73 today. :teeth:

The ocean is 55 now. :(

Last January we had the first measurable snow since 1989 and ended up with 4.5" - with no removal equipment for the roads. For the next 4 night after the snow, the overnite temps were in the teens, so the little that melted re-froze on the roadways. All of the schools in the county closed along with many businesses during that time.

So far, we've been enjoying a very mild 'winter'. I still expect some cooler temps, but no snow this year (we have had a LOT of rain over the past several weeks).

It will be a LOT warmer in July! :)

I suspect the whale watching might make for a long day and still never see one, but dolphin watching may be accomplished from many of the DVC resort villas as well as a number of easily scheduled charter trips. ;)

Just an update - an Atlantic Right Whale was spotted between HH and Tybee island recently - not a common occurrence but an occasional sight for sure.

Last week 2 Pygmy Sperm Whales washed up on the beach about a mile from where we live (one was an adult, the other a calf but neither was alive). Tissue samples were taken and sent for evaluation. These are small creatures who can dive up to 1,000 feet but are rarely seen near the surface. They have 10 - 16 sharp, pointed lower teeth, but no upper teeth. They are about the size of a large dolphin 6-11' in length.

HI there,

Talk to me about Golf. The husband wants to play a few courses in September 2019, and there are so many to chose from. He's quite a good player and like a challenge. We will be staying at HH for this time so courses that are close would also be great.

Many thanks in advance..

Sorry for the delay. I just had some minor surgery (still required them to put me out for a bit) and have missed some things. I DID recover at HHI, then we went back 2 weeks later for our planned stay.

I can't add too much to was Simba's Mom said, but, I can add that my Dad really like the Golf on HHI, and, the courses across the river too.

Just remind him that the weather is still rather warm in September and he'll want to keep Skin-so-Soft or Outdoors OFF handy as the gnats will still be bad and probably getting worse at that time.

Talk to Mike for info. We did manage to run into him during or second stay (I didn't go out much the first stay). He is a font of information.

I'll try to do better if you have more questions, but, after Feb 28th, I will be retired and we'll be traveling. I'll do what I can.

Just an update - an Atlantic Right Whale was spotted between HH and Tybee island recently - not a common occurrence but an occasional sight for sure.

Last week 2 Pygmy Sperm Whales washed up on the beach about a mile from where we live (one was an adult, the other a calf but neither was alive). Tissue samples were taken and sent for evaluation. These are small creatures who can dive up to 1,000 feet but are rarely seen near the surface. They have 10 - 16 sharp, pointed lower teeth, but no upper teeth. They are about the size of a large dolphin 6-11' in length.

DO you live in the Low Country, or, just visiting. It was still in the 30s here in Savannah at 12 noon on the 30th.

We live on HHI. It was 32 this morning at 8am, but is now a balmy 42 at 1:24pm. :)

At this time of the year, HHI tends to be a little warmer than Savannah due to the temperature of the water surrounding the island.

Yes, nice and balmy.

Hope to be staying at HHI again soon, and, to be coming by boat this time. (We live on a sailboat)

HH is a very special place for us. We tried buying a contract this summer but Disney bought it up in review. Probably worked out for the best because my husband was discovered to have a brain mass and needed brain surgery while the contract was being reveiewed. My husband had some major post op complications and developed some anxiety problems. To help cope, he learned to meditate and imagine himself on the Hilton Head resort pier at sunset. That’s truly his happy place. It really is a wonderful, unique resort. We love the staff and the atmosphere. I wouldn’t even want to be right on the beach. We like having a separate place with a different vibe to travel to. The marsh itself is just wonderful. It’s beautiful but also has a unique smell and sound as well.

Thank you for sharing. I hope your husband is doing well! Your words made me so excited about our upcoming trip. Thank you!

We are not DVC members. Do we need to wait until 7 months before the day we want to check in to attempt a booking at HH?

We are not DVC members. Do we need to wait until 7 months before the day we want to check in to attempt a booking at HH?
If you're paying out of pocket, then you can book something like a year ahead of time, and that's true for anyone. DVC members who don't own at HHI and wishing to use points are the ones who have to wait until 7 months out. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter