• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hilaria Baldwin

I knew who she was before this, but I just had to go down the rabbit hole reading about this scandal. It cracks me up how celebrities think if they protest loudly enough that people will stop questioning their lies.

So I was just reading something about this - obviously all gossip.

Her parents are from Boston and her dad graduated from Georgetown Law. They were on vacation in Mallorca when she was born early, however she is from Boston and that’s where she was raised. People she went to school with say her name is Hilary. So I guess technically born in Spain, but not Spanish. Her parents retired to Spain.

Second rumor is that Alec tried to pick up Salma Hayek when she guest starred on 30 Rock and she turned him down. Hilaria heard this story and took on the “Spanish” persona when she was a waitress at a restaurant he frequented to gain his attention.

She very much seems like an attention seeker, but I’m not sure what she’s done is actually all that unusual. I mean we all know how much Madonna changed after she moved to the UK.

So I was just reading something about this - obviously all gossip.

Her parents are from Boston and her dad graduated from Georgetown Law. They were on vacation in Mallorca when she was born early, however she is from Boston and that’s where she was raised. People she went to school with say her name is Hilary. So I guess technically born in Spain, but not Spanish. Her parents retired to Spain.

Second rumor is that Alec tried to pick up Salma Hayek when she guest starred on 30 Rock and she turned him down. Hilaria heard this story and took on the “Spanish” persona when she was a waitress at a restaurant he frequented to gain his attention.

She very much seems like an attention seeker, but I’m not sure what she’s done is actually all that unusual. I mean we all know how much Madonna changed after she moved to the UK.

I saw her instagram video where she admitted she was born in Boston. I honestly think her parents vacationed in Spain, and she embellished it to seem like she grew up there.
My parents vacationed in Port Dover, Ontario. I’m going to start using a Canadian accent. :P

It's certainly interesting to watch. If she had been born in Spain, or had her family moved to Spain when she was a young child.....and then she moved back here at 19 to go to school, I could buy it. But....that's apparently not what happened. I mean, I could even understand her not remembering what a cucumber is *if* Spanish was her first language. But that's not true either.

I have a customer/friend who spends months at a time in China. She was born in China, moved here at age 18, and now at age 55...goes back and forth a lot to stay with her husband, who runs a business there. She's been there for a year....stuck once Covid hit. And I've noticed that she makes more mistakes in our e-mail exchanges with her English....and she's completely fluent. But....she's been immersed for a year in speaking her first language....mandarin.

I agree...something is a bit off with Hilaria.

As far as Hilaria goes, this isn't super complicated. She cultivated a persona that sounds exotic because it makes her more interesting. She is probably a really boring and dull person and wanted to have "something extra" to make her stand out for attention. It's a pretty common thing that attention seekers do.

Meh, I really don't think it's that unusual. I think people change their personae, looks, presence, social standing, level of education, perceived monetary status, a lot. People who usually do this aren't famous, or associating with famous people. So that people who did know them way back when could out them on social media.

Maybe it's because I know a few people who did this. I actually know somebody who pulled a "Hilaria." Steven and I used to work for a 5-star catering company in NYC. Steven was a very junior, assistant-chef, 👨‍🍳 from the mid-west, with an American accent. About 15 years later, now named Stefan, he finally owns his own restaurant on the west coast. He travels to Europe every summer to bring back new recipes & techniques he's learned there. He now has an indeterminate European accent, especially when he's speaking to his rich clientele, who, I guess, think he's European since his accent and recipes are. :snooty:

The other two people I know were a couple people back in high school, who couldn't wait to graduate and move away to a place where no one knew them. So they could change the horribly ridiculed identities they were saddled with in elementary through high school. No accent or ethnicity change, but they changed their hair, their looks, their make-up, got rid of the coke bottle lens glasses, bought a new wardrobe, dumped some weight, etc., so new people in their new locations would respond to them differently than the mousy, geeky, nerdy, poor, loser, etc, identity that they had.

but I’m not sure what she’s done is actually all that unusual. I mean we all know how much Madonna changed after she moved to the UK.

Well, Madonna changed a lot when she dropped Ciccone from her name. ;)

Last edited:

Meh, I really don't think it's that unusual. I think people change their personae, looks, presence, social standing, level of education, perceived monetary status, a lot. People who usually do this aren't famous, or associating with famous people. So that people who did know them way back when could out them on social media.

Maybe it's because i know a few people who did this. I actually know somebody who pulled a "Hilaria." Steven and I used to work for a 5-star catering company in NYC. Steven was a very junior, assistant-chef, 👨‍🍳 from the mid-west, with an American accent. About 15 years later, now named Stefan, he finally owned his own restaurant on the west coast. He travels to Europe every summer to bring back new recipes & techniques he's learned there. He now has an indeterminate European accent, especially when he's speaking to his rich clientele, who, I guess, think he's European since his accent and recipes are. :snooty:

The other two people I know were couple people back in high school, who couldn't wait to graduate and move away to a place where no one knew them, so they could change the horribly ridiculed identities they were saddled with in elementary through high school. No accent or ethnicity change, but they changed their hair, their looks, their make-up, got rid of the coke bottle lens glasses, bought a new wardrobe, some people dumped weight, etc., so new people in their new locations would respond to them differently than the mousy, geeky, nerdy, poor, loser, etc, identity that they had.

Well, Madonna changed a lot when she dropped Ciccone from her name. ;)

You may be right. I know people who reinvented themselves when they went to college: changing names, accents and backgrounds.

It also seems like it was common in the golden days of Hollywood. I always think of Cary Grant as an example of reinvention.

Today, with the internet and ubiquitous cell phones, it seems like it would be more difficult to hide a name change or background, if that’s what someone wants to do. Perhaps the best policy is honesty: just own up to the change and not try to hide it or make excuses. That might be what happens in the future as we all become accustomed to being under the internet microscope.

Not really a fan of Alec Baldwin. I know little about his wife, although I did think she was Spanish and I believe their children have Spanish names. I don’t get why someone would do what she apparently has done, ie. misrepresent her background and culture. It’s not like she’s even an actress or celebrity in her own right, and IMO seems rather pretentious.

Last edited:
You may be right. I know people who reinvented themselves when they went to college: changing names, accents and backgrounds.

Reinvention. Yes, that was the word I was looking for. :thumbsup2

Ironically, Madonna had a Reinvention Tour.

That reminds me, :idea: I know someone who did a "Madonna." She spent most of a college year in England as an exchange student. Normally, she had a very heavy Jewish, Long Island, NY accent. Think George Costanza, (from Seinfeld,) parents' accent. She comes back from England with a heavy British accent and spouting how much better everything that is British is. :rolleyes: Luckily the semester was ending, and I didn't have to see her or my eyes would have been permanently stuck in the back of my head.

The only thing I know about Hilaria is that she claimed when she first met Alec, she had no idea who he was. So she didn't act impressed when she first met him. She didn't own a TV and friends had to tell her to Google who Alec was.

Heather Mills did that same thing when she met Paul McCartney. She certainly knew who he was and how much he was worth when she divorced him and tried to take him to the cleaners.

We'll see how it goes with Alec & Hilaria if they ever divorce. Although, he had said that after his horrific divorce from Kim Basinger, that he did make Hilaria sign a pre-nup.

The only thing I know about Hilaria is that she claimed when she first met Alec, she had no idea who he was. So she didn't act impressed when she first met him. She didn't own a TV and friends had to tell her to Google who Alec was.

Heather Mills did that same thing when she met Paul McCartney. She certainly knew who he was and how much he was worth when she divorced him and tried to take him to the cleaners.

We'll see how it goes with Alec & Hilaria if they ever divorce. Although, he had said that after his horrific divorce from Kim Basinger, that he did make Hilaria sign a pre-nup.

haha they have 5 kids, prenup or not, she’s set for life!

It's certainly interesting to watch. If she had been born in Spain, or had her family moved to Spain when she was a young child.....and then she moved back here at 19 to go to school, I could buy it. But....that's apparently not what happened. I mean, I could even understand her not remembering what a cucumber is *if* Spanish was her first language. But that's not true either.

I have a customer/friend who spends months at a time in China. She was born in China, moved here at age 18, and now at age 55...goes back and forth a lot to stay with her husband, who runs a business there. She's been there for a year....stuck once Covid hit. And I've noticed that she makes more mistakes in our e-mail exchanges with her English....and she's completely fluent. But....she's been immersed for a year in speaking her first language....mandarin.

I agree...something is a bit off with Hilaria.
She went to prep school in Massachusetts. She's in the year book and several people who went to the school knew of her. She was Hillary Hayward-Thomas in her HS days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter