High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

S
ACK.... I need advice.

My son has been away at school since Thursday.

He texted today that he thinks his wisdom tooth(or teeth, not sure) have come in and are giving him trouble.

He's 3 hours away, and my school year started yesterday. (My husband's started Monday, but he can't drive until October.) I have no idea of how to get from here to there via public transportation, and my son doesn't have a car.

Here are my options as I see them:
- get the name of a dentist in PA who takes our medical plan, call tomorrow, make an appointment for Saturday afternoon, leave early Sat morning, and hope it can be handled there and then-- and, yes, it's a holiday weekend.

- call our dentist. Leave at early Saturday morning, go get my son, get in to the dentist Saturday afternoon, then return him to school on Sunday.

Both plans assume that he doesn't need to see an oral surgeon.

Any suggestions anyone???

So sorry Alice. Does your son's school have a parent Facebook page? Ours does and it is amazing. They have lists of local medical services that they have used, and often local parents offer assistance.

You are such a great mom. My first question would have been, "can't this wait until thanksgiving?" . I would probably give it a few days and then see if he feels better. If not have him make an apt and have him take a taxi and deal with it himself. If it requires surgery I'd bring him home. That will take weeks to schedule.

You can also call your dentist and see if they have any ideas. I once had a terrible toothache and went to the dentist after days of pain. He pulled out a piece of popcorn. I was embarrassed, but better. Good luck.

Alice, my DD just had her wisdom teeth out. They were impacted. It required a "pre-op" evaluation by the oral surgeon, the surgery (when it could be scheduled, about a week later), and two post op appts - one for a "dry socket" requiring treatment, and one for a regular post op check (in which she was made all clear). She was on pain meds (Motrin) round the clock for a few days (two or three times something stronger at night so she could sleep), with an ice pack, had pretty bad swelling on day three where she could barely eat or talk, and things slowly got better from there, but it took almost a week. And she only had the bottom two out. Just telling you our experience. She did handle the whole thing herself (she is 18), I wasn't really involved except driving her home after the surgery. HTH. I would probably talk to your local dentist tomorrow and see if they can help facilitate things where he is. The FB page is a good idea. You could also talk to the health professionals at school, I'm sure they've had this happen before. ETA she now needs a tonsillectomy but it's going to have to wait until winter break as we ran into some medical issues that delayed things. Ugh!

ACK.... I need advice.

He texted today that he thinks his wisdom tooth(or teeth, not sure) have come in and are giving him trouble.

He's 3 hours away, and my school year started yesterday. (My husband's started Monday, but he can't drive until October.) I have no idea of how to get from here to there via public transportation, and my son doesn't have a car.

- get the name of a dentist in PA who takes our medical plan, call tomorrow, make an appointment for Saturday afternoon, leave early Sat morning, and hope it can be handled there and then-- and, yes, it's a holiday weekend.

- call our dentist. Leave at early Saturday morning, go get my son, get in to the dentist Saturday afternoon, then return him to school on Sunday.

Doesn't it feel like life is punking you to have this happen so soon after him leaving? Oy. I'm so sorry.

My son kept having trouble with a newly placed crown after going back to school a couple years ago. Our dentist was great and met us in his office on a Saturday afternoon (outside regular hours) when my son was back for a quick weekend. I would suggest calling his dentist and asking for their advice.

Last edited:

Sad news out of Boston tonight that made me think of all of us here. Two people from Texas getting their college student settled in at Northeastern University were killed today in a motor vehicle accident. They had apparently just left Logan Airport and were on one of those little shuttle buses going to their hotel when they were rear-ended. The bus hit the road divider and they were ejected from the vehicle through the windows. :guilty:

I couldn't find an updated story but they mentioned the college piece on the local evening news. It will probably be updated tomorrow.

http://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2016/08/31/crash-on-route-1a-in-east-boston-leaves-2-dead

The picture that they showed on the news showed the seat belts lying on the seats. It made me think of how many times I've been on those shuttles with my family - on that very road and elsewhere - and I don't think we've ever used the seatbelts, either. Never really thought to. I'm sure most of you may probably say the same thing. So sad, and how horrible for the student. Prayers to the families of the deceased and the injured.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Here's what we're thinking today:

He'll go to the health office for advice. I think I'll text him and have him ask whether there's a dentist nearby who can take an Xray and fax it to our dentist. I'll call our dentist today and tentatively try to set something up for late Saturday if he's around. And I may ask him to send a prescription for something stronger than Tylenol to the local PA CVS.

I can leave EARLY Saturday, go to PA for my son, and leave EARLY Sunday to get him back. (Getting over the bridges on Long Island and Staten Island is always a concern, especially on a holiday weekend. If leaving at 5 am gives me a 3 hour drive instead of a 5 hour drive, it's a no brainer for me.) That will still give me Labor Day to prepare for school next week.

It figures of course. My two month vacation ended on Tuesday, as did my son's and my husband's. My husband's license is suspended until the first week of October so he can't help with the driving.

But if the stars align just right, I may just pull this off and get my son the help he needs. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I hope it all works out for your son, Alliceacc. That's so frustrating... and painful.

I put some time into trying to research solutions to an issue like this over the summer because DD is also living 5 hours away, out of state. She has a medical condition that flares from time to time and requires regular treatment to get under control. She's been in treatment more than she's been stable over the last 6 years, so it seemed sensible to have a plan...

Honestly there are no good solutions. It's either find someone new you can trust closer to the school, figure out the transportation for them to get there and back without a car, and pay out-of-network for them to be seen...

or miss classes trying to make a 10-hour commute for treatment at home with a doctor we know and trust which insurance will cover (and 20 hours for whoever is picking her up and taking her back - missing work to make it happen).

Neither option is really a win. It's a major headache. And I honestly never came up with a great solution for my daughter with plenty time to work on it. You've got my sympathies trying to figure this all out with no advance notice. Bleh.

I hope you can work it out this weekend to at least have him seen and to get a script for his pain. And I hope he can get it treated quickly. What awful timing.
(FYI, if he has to wait for treatment and ends up with a script for a pain killer, remind him to tell NO ONE and to keep them secured when he's not in his room. These types of meds are a hot commodity on college campus, sadly.)

Sad news out of Boston tonight that made me think of all of us here. Two people from Texas getting their college student settled in at Northeastern University were killed today in a motor vehicle accident. They had apparently just left Logan Airport and were on one of those little shuttle buses going to their hotel when they were rear-ended. The bus hit the road divider and they were ejected from the vehicle through the windows. :guilty:

I couldn't find an updated story but they mentioned the college piece on the local evening news. It will probably be updated tomorrow.

http://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2016/08/31/crash-on-route-1a-in-east-boston-leaves-2-dead

The picture that they showed on the news showed the seat belts lying on the seats. It made me think of how many times I've been on those shuttles with my family - on that very road and elsewhere - and I don't think we've ever used the seatbelts, either. Never really thought to. I'm sure most of you may probably say the same thing. So sad, and how horrible for the student. Prayers to the families of the deceased and the injured.

That is absolutely heartbreaking. And it will absolutely come to mind next time we get on a shuttle bus.

He'll go to the health office for advice. I think I'll text him and have him ask whether there's a dentist nearby who can take an Xray and fax it to our dentist. I'll call our dentist today and tentatively try to set something up for late Saturday if he's around. And I may ask him to send a prescription for something stronger than Tylenol to the local PA CVS.

I can leave EARLY Saturday, go to PA for my son, and leave EARLY Sunday to get him back. (Getting over the bridges on Long Island and Staten Island is always a concern, especially on a holiday weekend. If leaving at 5 am gives me a 3 hour drive instead of a 5 hour drive, it's a no brainer for me.) That will still give me Labor Day to prepare for school next week.

It figures of course. My two month vacation ended on Tuesday, as did my son's and my husband's. My husband's license is suspended until the first week of October so he can't help with the driving.

But if the stars align just right, I may just pull this off and get my son the help he needs. Fingers crossed.

I should lobby the DIS to add a juggling emoticon just for you. Doesn't it figure that's how these things go?

My son's dentist shared a story with me about how as a student his own wisdom teeth chose finals week to act up. See? Could be worse! ;)

Good luck this weekend!

Alice, the oral surgeon emphasized to DD to stick primarily with Motrin, and only use the stronger meds if really needed, saying, "You probably won't need them". I knew why. Basically because doctors are under a HUGE amount of pressure today to curb their ordering of narcotics, because "leftovers" have been implicated as being part of the drug problem we have today, unfortunately. I'd just keep this in mind when asking for medication from the dentist - they may be reluctant (especially seeing as it's going to a college campus, not saying your son would sell them but they could be stolen) and encourage Tylenol and Motrin more so. If your son was in Boston I'd offer to help you out. Did you try looking on the FB page? I just hope you don't get all the way down there and can't find an appt. for what he needs. Hey, now that I think of it, I did have a patient's wife recently who needed an "emergency" dentist on a weekend and I was able to find a few in the Boston area for her just by looking online. I'm not sure if regular dentists take out wisdom teeth, though, and also not sure if there are "emergency" oral surgeons around, either. You could look around, though. Good luck. :worried:

ACK.... I need advice.

I have been reading the updates and just wanted to wish you and your DS well. I hope he is able to get seen soon. My DD had all 4 of hers out but they were discovered by her dentist and referred to an Oral Surgeon to be removed. Hopefully you DS's situation is a little easier. We were lucky to have them discovered before they became painful and we could schedule her surgery at a convenient time (well, she didn't find it convenient since it was over her Spring Break, LOL).

Wow - how devastating :( Many thoughts and prayers going out to that family.

I was a 2016 Grad of High School and am off on my journey to be a Graduate of the Class of 2020 from College. I am studying my passion Music and loving everything so far about college life.

Best of luck on your new adventure!! My DD is following her passion for Art also and so far is loving everything about the college experience. :)

I have been reading the updates and just wanted to wish you and your DS well. I hope he is able to get seen soon. My DD had all 4 of hers out but they were discovered by her dentist and referred to an Oral Surgeon to be removed. Hopefully you DS's situation is a little easier. We were lucky to have them discovered before they became painful and we could schedule her surgery at a convenient time (well, she didn't find it convenient since it was over her Spring Break, LOL).

Wow - how devastating :( Many thoughts and prayers going out to that family.

Best of luck on your new adventure!! My DD is following her passion for Art also and so far is loving everything about the college experience. :)
Thank You, College life is so much fun and I love my classes. My roomie is wonderful and we are having so much fun.

Pretty much the only issue my daughter is having is she says the food is terrible so she bought some frozen meals. we are telling her to try more meals at college and if you like a handful of them then that is better than frozen stuff. She is 3 hrs away so its not like she can come home to eat. Is anyone else's child not liking the food? What are they doing about it?

I am only hearing from her when she needs textbooks or something else. she will be home next weekend and then again in October.

Last edited:

How is your DS doing?

Pretty much the only issue my daughter is having is she says the food is terrible so she bought some frozen meals. we are telling her to try more meals at college and if you like a handful of them then that is better than frozen stuff. She is 3 hrs away so its not like she can come home to eat. Is anyone else's child not liking the food? What are they doing about it?

I am only hearing from her when she needs textbooks or something else. she will be home next weekend and then again in October.

DD has found some meals that she likes but is having trouble finding time to eat. Her classes start at 8 am and the dining hall doesn't open until 7:30. So that makes getting a hot breakfast next to impossible (too many other kids trying to do the same thing at the same time). The same goes for lunch - long lines, but she does have 1 1/2 hours. Problem is, most of her classes require her to carry a lot of art supplies, portfolio, etc. So she needs to drop those off in her room first, then go back to the dining hall (and then back to the room to pick the supplies back up before returning to class).

Then the dining hall is only open from 4:00 to 7:00 pm for dinner and she often isn't hungry until after 7:00 (or is doing homework until that time). So in the first two weeks, we paid for 28 meals for her (we are required to purchase the 14 meals/week plan for first year students in the residence hall) but she only ate in the dining hall 11 times. What a huge waste of money.

She texted me earlier this week showing me her lunch. PB&J. Luckily there is a grocery store on the next block and she just picked up the supplies for PB&J to keep in her room.

We called 1800 dentist. They said he had an appointment, but the dentists office said it was only a window for a dentist, and they couldn't see him till next week. In the meantime, the tooth feels much better, so he declined the appoint,net. ( my husbands cousin is 40 minutes away, and was going to bring him. )

I think the pain might have been the wisdom tooth breaking through.

So he's doing much better, thanks.

We made the 1,100 mile trek from PA to MN and got DD all moved in! It was well-organized and the weather cooperated, thank God. DD is doing well. Classes started Thurs. and now she is overwhelmed, but likes her roommate and the food. (Her school regularly ranks in the top 10 for food in various national rankings.). She has plans this weekend with new friends. She calls a lot and didn't pack well so needs me to send her a couple of boxes of clothes, but seems to be doing well. I hope she doesn't overextend herself and I hope she doesn't procrastinate, but it is out of my control. Her books cost $600, though! I hope she can use some more than once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter