• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

High Cholesterol....need new diet plan.

lukenick1

DIS Veteran
Hi all.....just had my cholesterol checked and it went from 211 to 279 in 2 years! Yikes. Doc told me to eat a low cholesterol diet. I think I can blame all the delicious Hello Fresh meals I have been getting and cooking as well as my buttered toast every morning. I now have to find a new way of eating.....cutting cream out of my coffee is going to be sooooo hard. I really enjoy my morning cup with cream and sugar. My morning toast of Trader Joes Everything Pane bread with butter will probably have to go as well. I really enjoyed getting the meal kits from Hello Fresh. Does anyone have ideas for a healthier meal kit with less fat and cholesterol? Any suggestions on meals/snacks to help lower my cholesterol? I think I need to avoid night shade veggies because I also have muscle pain from SI joint inflammation issues. THanks for any help.....I am not advised to go on medication yet because my doctor says based on my good cholesterol and weight/lifestyle I am only at a very small risk. Diet modification should be enough I hope!

Hi all.....just had my cholesterol checked and it went from 211 to 279 in 2 years! Yikes. Doc told me to eat a low cholesterol diet. I think I can blame all the delicious Hello Fresh meals I have been getting and cooking as well as my buttered toast every morning. I now have to find a new way of eating.....cutting cream out of my coffee is going to be sooooo hard. I really enjoy my morning cup with cream and sugar. My morning toast of Trader Joes Everything Pane bread with butter will probably have to go as well. I really enjoyed getting the meal kits from Hello Fresh. Does anyone have ideas for a healthier meal kit with less fat and cholesterol? Any suggestions on meals/snacks to help lower my cholesterol? I think I need to avoid night shade veggies because I also have muscle pain from SI joint inflammation issues. THanks for any help.....I am not advised to go on medication yet because my doctor says based on my good cholesterol and weight/lifestyle I am only at a very small risk. Diet modification should be enough I hope!

Since it seems like you like an easy and carb based breakfast, the best immediate, easy solution to help would be to switch from the buttered toast to a bowl of homemade oatmeal (aka, not the sugar bomb stuff) or cheerios with sliced apples or bananas. You get rid of the butter problem (adds to LDL) while adding lots of soluable fiber (reduces LDL).

Really depends on your body. My "good" cholesterol was borderline low and my "bad" cholesterol was borderline on the high end. I watched what I ate but my Doctor put me on a prescription cholesterol medicine and it lowered my GOOD cholesterol and did nothing to my BAD cholesterol so for me it apparently is genetics.

Sometimes you can eat perfectly and have high cholesterol. My friend’s brother had a heart attack at 35 and found out his cholesterol was through the roof. He was a marathon runner and a health food nut. When his sisters were all tested afterwards, theirs was very high as well - all very thin dvd athletic. Another friend’s entire family’s is very including her eight and ten year old kids. They found out through a fluke blood test. You may be able to lower yours through diet but often times not especially if getting to middle age.

Really depends on your body. My "good" cholesterol was borderline low and my "bad" cholesterol was borderline on the high end. I watched what I ate but my Doctor put me on a prescription cholesterol medicine and it lowered my GOOD cholesterol and did nothing to my BAD cholesterol so for me it apparently is genetics.

My bad is def genetics and part of my overall being high. But my good is high which to me isn't bad but is part of the overall problem.

I need to reduce my choclate and cheese eating to help. No meds yet at least.

I had same problem, I posted what I did in this thread, and I should add, I also included bee pollen daily.

My cholesterol reduced a lot using red yeast rice

https://www.disboards.com/threads/high-cholesterol.3897766/

Psyllium husk fiber

Most readily available as Metamucil capsules. Though they get pricey so I’ve bought a capsule filling machine so I can easily fill my own. But taking 15-20 Metamucil daily did wonders for my cholesterol

And had other benefits 😂. It’s nice being so regular…

Psyllium husk fiber

Most readily available as Metamucil capsules. Though they get pricey so I’ve bought a capsule filling machine so I can easily fill my own. But taking 15-20 Metamucil daily did wonders for my cholesterol

Walmart has cheaper version of the psyllium husk fiber. Equate Fiber Laxative with Psyllium Hydrophillic Mucilloid

this is good to help lower cholesterol too

I used this with red rice yeast and bee pollen

Stop eating all oils except for extra virgin olive oil.

Cheerios or plain (not flavored) oatmeal for breakfast.

Lower your refined carb intake. Switch to whole grain carbs.

Eat more plants in general.

Take some Citrucel or Benefiber. You need SOLUBLE fiber to reduce cholesterol, not insoluble fiber. You don't want psyllium husk. That does nothing except keep you regular.

Psyllium husk fiber

Wrong type of fiber for lowering cholesterol.

"However, insoluble fiber does not lower cholesterol like soluble fiber does. Insoluble fibers don't form a gel and resist fermentation by gut bacteria. Instead, they add bulk to the stool, speed up digestion, and contribute to health in other ways"

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fiber-and-cholesterol

Wrong type of fiber for lowering cholesterol.

"However, insoluble fiber does not lower cholesterol like soluble fiber does. Insoluble fibers don't form a gel and resist fermentation by gut bacteria. Instead, they add bulk to the stool, speed up digestion, and contribute to health in other ways"

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fiber-and-cholesterol
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/psyllium-fiber-regularity-and-healthier-lipid-levels

It’s lowered mine over 100 points on a year 🤷🏼‍♀️

Another vote for soluble fiber and supposedly the tannins in things like tart cherry juice can help as well

I watched a youtube video of a cleveland clinic cardiologist and one of the things she said helps lowers cholesterol was 2 tbs ground flax seed daily. I had a knee injury and surgery and have been pretty sedintary this past year and mine went up to 214, not bad but I still want to get it back below normal. I have started moving a little more so hopefully that will help and I'm adding the flax seed to my yogurt in the morning. Good luck to you.

American Test Kitchen has a book for a Med Diet. That's the book I mostly cook from. However, you may find that even with diet and exercise that you still can't lower your cholesterol.

Make half of every plate vegetable. Meaning green veggies -- potatoes and corn don't count the same.

I really like roasted vegetables, so 2-3 times a week I make a BIG sheet pan. I just use five bags of cheap frozen veggies. They're even good with a runny egg and a bit of cheese over the top for breakfast.

I know what you said about medicines, but consider a statin. Some doctors think everyone over 40 or 50 (and I don't know your age) should take one -- it slashes your potential for heart attack or stroke. It's worth a bit of research.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter