Hiding ducks on the cruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am all pro ducks
and will do them next cruise
was fortunate enough to find one last May
for one I think they’re more fun then fish extenders 🦆

I was on the fence about ducks, that is until I read the negative comments. Now I'm ALL IN! lol
My nephew works on the Fantasy, he said it's a big deal right now and the CMs encourage the fun and are mostly in on it. Pixie Dust is in the eye of the beholder, let those of us who need a little extra in our lives enjoy it. Don't be mean!!

I was on the fence about ducks, that is until I read the negative comments. Now I'm ALL IN! lol
My nephew works on the Fantasy, he said it's a big deal right now and the CMs encourage the fun and are mostly in on it. Pixie Dust is in the eye of the beholder, let those of us who need a little extra in our lives enjoy it. Don't be mean!!
This is exactly how I feel.

I agree. I've never participated in the duck hiding but have seen them on other cruise lines and think they are a hoot. Quite frankly I find it beyond amusing that people are poo - poo them on a Disney cruise - of all things!!! DCL is a family focused cruise line with an emphasis on fun. It's not like we are talking about some luxury cruise line for heaven's sake. It's about Disney characters roaming the halls, fun shows with Disney and Marvel characters, little kids running amuck (amuck ! ). I've never participated in the fish extenders, but it's a beloved tradition for so many DCL cruisers and you see them everywhere. It's FUN for them. Doors are decorated with so many great decorations ( I miss that when we cruise on other lines!). I guess it just escapes me completely how a few harmless little rubber ducks are going to impact someone's cruise experience. But maybe that's just me :confused3 .

Or the CMs are doing it to keep the public areas clear.
Oh please

Yes that is more believable than people grabbing the ducks for fun as a competition. Sure.........

They’re not going to display an “Ugh” attitude about them to guests - especially if they think you’re excited about it.

No but if it was an issue like some want to portray then DCL would have a posted stance on it like they did with fish extenders during the pandemic and they didn't even throw those away when people broke the rules.

I agree. I've never participated in the duck hiding but have seen them on other cruise lines and think they are a hoot. Quite frankly I find it beyond amusing that people are poo - poo them on a Disney cruise - of all things!!! DCL is a family focused cruise line with an emphasis on fun. It's not like we are talking about some luxury cruise line for heaven's sake. It's about Disney characters roaming the halls, fun shows with Disney and Marvel characters, little kids running amuck (amuck ! ). I've never participated in the fish extenders, but it's a beloved tradition for so many DCL cruisers and you see them everywhere. It's FUN for them. Doors are decorated with so many great decorations ( I miss that when we cruise on other lines!). I guess it just escapes me completely how a few harmless little rubber ducks are going to impact someone's cruise experience. But maybe that's just me :confused3 .
Totally agree. People saying it’s not the culture of DCL to hide ducks? Says who? People saying they would throw them in the trash? Come on. We don’t do fish extenders and door decorations but I would never rip them off someone’s door and throw them in the trash just because we don’t do them. We are going to do the ducks now!

I’ll do ducks to next cruise

but I hood people don’t hide them all the first or second day I just hope some do day 3 or 4 …
i for one would have loved to find one I looked and looked all over but 🥲wasn’t fortunate enough this time around
last May found one knot it a day and then did hide it a day later
it’s so much fun

fish extender omg so much trouble to do and deliver
and then you get most of the time things people haven’t tried to do good in their fidh extender exchange one of my friend got a lollipop of all things

I tagged mine. I printedvthe tags myself and used glittery pipe cleaners to attach them. I made it pirate themed explaining that they had found treasure and could keep it or hide it for someone else to find but

I just ordered my ducks :P in case anyone hasn't seen, Five Below has really cute Disney themed ducks (it may be hit or miss in your local store, but they have them available online). While I was at it I threw in some fun Stitch stuff for my daughter's Easter basket (she loooooooves Stitch)!

These ducks, like painted rocks, are trash. The places you leave them eventually have to dispose of them. People don’t think of that. They think it’s fun but it’s creating waste.

This thread reminds me of the time I went to Disney World with my 70-year-old sister and she spent the whole time complaining about all of the kids that were there. Lol!
LOL my thoughts exactly (without a 70 year old sister)

Concerned about trash/waste and the environment? Maybe you shouldn't be going on a cruise.
Worried they are ruining your luxury experience? Don't go on a Disney Cruise.

The ducks are cute and fun to add a little something to walks around the ship. If one is very worried about waste of some ducks filling landfills/environmental impacts then then cruising might not be the ideal choice for a vacation in the first place.

Fish extenders became so overrated after a few years. Glad something new has come around.
I wouldn’t say FE is over rated, for me I enjoy it a few times, after that it’s just one less thing I need to worry about I’ll let others find/hide ducks and do FE’s and not waste my time with that.

I was an admin for the cruise I got off yesterday and people just spoiled me rotten. But I did spend a good amount of time researching info much like a travel agent so I feel really really appreciated.
We carried our ducks the last day and when we found a child of 2 or 4 years old we would ask parents if the child would be allowed to find our duck and put them down low. And then the parents would ask the children to search for a duck. It was so close to where the children were and they would have even seen us bend down but not old enough to understand. It was my first time giving ducks and one 10ish boy scooped up one I had just put down for a 2 year old but thankfully I had another in me. So non traditional but my 80 year old dad would point out a young one and light up with a smile because he could have them fine a duck. I got so much joy out of this.

Fish extenders and door decorating we not a thing yet on our cruise on the Magic in December 2003. Maybe Duck Hiding will catch on like Fish Extenders and Door Decorating did.
Fish Extenders originated on the Magic in 2005, when it did the first repositioning through the Panama Canal. The DISers on that sailing wanted to do something fun, and they initiated the first Fish Extenders.
Look i was told it was thing in this site. I have never cruised on another line. I was just trying to make the cruise a little more fun for a few kids. If another cruise line has something fun, why would you rurn your back on it for that reason? I suspect many good ideas have been gained by learning from competition. Again if you don't like it, don't do it. I don't know who started the door magnet thing but even if if it was another cruise line, I'm still doing it. I can't imagine why it would matter.
It's a thing, and your family will have fun participating. I was on the Wish in November, and Wonder a couple of weeks ago, and people were enjoying hiding and finding ducks.

Instead of hiding ducks why not just hand them to kids so they know what they are for? CMs and random people who don't know what they are are likely to throw them away.
I was on a tour on the Wish back in November, and our CM tour guide found a duck and held it to her chest and jumped up and down, saying, "This is my FIRST duck! I'm so excited." I had just learned about them, but that crew member sure knew about them and was happy to find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter