• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hi Campers

Manatee

Mouseketeer
A question for you drivers/campers out there, next time we are at FW we have the opportunity/time(two weeks) to see more of the US, i want to drive up as far as NY stopping off at interesting/historical/fun points on the way there and back, can you guy's/gal's tell me what you think are the things i should not miss along the way, also what sort of route do you think i should take, Thanks for any input.

WDW, staying at the fort for a week then leaving the kids with their aunt whilst DW and myself head out to New York, arriving back at FW two weeks later to collect the DS's before heading back to the UK.

Just a little info, in the NE everything is open Memorial Day until Labor Day, basically.
In NY, of course the City is something to see. Upstate there is Lake George.

A question for you drivers/campers out there, next time we are at FW we have the opportunity/time(two weeks) to see more of the US, i want to drive up as far as NY stopping off at interesting/historical/fun points on the way there and back, can you guy's/gal's tell me what you think are the things i should not miss along the way, also what sort of route do you think i should take, Thanks for any input.

Charleston, South Carolina (I-95 to I-10), Colonial Williamsburg/Yorktown in Virginia (I-95 to US 58 to I-64 or I-95 to I-64), Washington DC, Philadelphia.....just depends on what you are interested in. Lots to see and do along the I-95 corridor between Florida and New York. Lots of historical sites along that corridor or easy to reach from there.

I agree with Washington, D.C. and the historical parts of Philadelphia. Depending on how far into NY you plan on going Saratoga Battlefield is something to see and Lake George is beautiful. After labor day some of the shops close down but you may see a little color change in the leaves that far north. Also the Blue Ridge Parkway on the west side of VA and NC is a nice drive.

I agree with DC first.

Colonial Philly a second.

Savannah a distant third.

I would suggest Northern Virginia as third (Battle of Bull Run and other Civil War sites).

Bama ED

PS-Plus the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island and other NYC sites (NYC is expensive).

And if you are looking for camp grounds Virginia State Parks are awesome.

Joni

:dance3:

If you follow I-95 northbound, you will be able to drive from WDW to NYC in about 18-20 hours. The interstate takes you close to the coast, but not close enough to be at the ocean. That's how we drive back and forth to WDW.

I would advise spending some time in Washington DC. There is a lot of history there and many of the sites and museums are free to tour. Also, you can hit Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Virginia Beach. Another place you can spend some time is in NYC itself. So much to see and do here! (and I'm not saying that because I live in the NYC area). Honestly, I'm not sure there would be too much of interest in many of the states you'll drive through (Georgia, the Carolinas, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey), aside from making sure you get some good southern food while you're there. Personally, I think you're best off using 4-5 days in Washington DC and another 4-5 days for New York City and the rest of the time you'll be driving.

If you follow I-95 northbound, you will be able to drive from WDW to NYC in about 18-20 hours. The interstate takes you close to the coast, but not close enough to be at the ocean. That's how we drive back and forth to WDW.

I would advise spending some time in Washington DC. There is a lot of history there and many of the sites and museums are free to tour. Also, you can hit Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Virginia Beach. Another place you can spend some time is in NYC itself. So much to see and do here! (and I'm not saying that because I live in the NYC area). Honestly, I'm not sure there would be too much of interest in many of the states you'll drive through (Georgia, the Carolinas, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey), aside from making sure you get some good southern food while you're there. Personally, I think you're best off using 4-5 days in Washington DC and another 4-5 days for New York City and the rest of the time you'll be driving.

Do a little research. Plenty of people find a lot of interest in the states that you just wrote off.

There are many sites of interest to see along the east coast.

I agree that Washington DC should be your #1 choice.

And, NYC is fun.

But, then, I think you need to decide how close to Route 95 you want to be and how far west you are willing to travel. There is Monticello, home to Thomas Jefferson, which is fantastic, but three/four hours west of 95. Gettysburg and other Civil War battlefields, but again more to the west of 95. Could you give us an idea of your interests?

Thanks for the input so far, we are most interested in the historical sites, also DW likes the views/panoramas along the way

Do a little research. Plenty of people find a lot of interest in the states that you just wrote off.

Actually, I have researched and spent a considerable amount of time in the states that I didn't recommend. I have nothing against those states. However, in my opinion, for someone who's from Europe and doing a cursory historical tour of a large portion of the East Coast and only has two weeks to do so, their time is better spent concentrating in a couple of cities rather than trying to do it all. One could easily spend two weeks just visiting historical sites in Florida and Georgia and never make it any further north, but I don't think that's what the OP was looking for.

On Interstate 95 you will not see too many panoramic views. You really have to get onto secondary roads to get views.

Parts of A1A in Florida have gorgeous ocean views. St Augustine is an old and historic town easily accessible from the interstate.

Noth Carolina has the Great Smokies. Boone and Cherokee have Indian and cultural sites. There is Skyline Drive in Virginia where you get the great mountain views.

Savannah, Ga is a beautiful historic town, as is Charleston, SC. They are about an hours drive of the main I-95. In Savannah they have historic buildings, great food, ghost tours, carriage rides and a very walkable downtown.

Charleston is not to be missed. You have Battery Park overlooking Fort Sumter and you can get a boat tour. The southern style mansions with their huge breezy porches and little flower filled gardens are beautiful. There are walking guided tours and carriage tours and great places to eat. You can drive into downtown Charleston, park in City parking and have a great day without any major planning.

Virginia/DC/Maryland has enough history to fill much more than two weeks. Colonial Williamsburg is very well done. DC is unbeatable for a value trip....most museums are free entry and the Smithsonian is incredible. Annapolis in Maryland is a very picturesque boating town. If you cross the 4 and one half mile bay bridge to Md's eastern shore, there are wildlife refuges for birdlovers and Assateague Island which is home to wild ponies.

Baltimore Inner Harbor and Ft McHenry are definitely worth a visit as is Independence Hall in Philadelphia.

New York City speaks for itself. We go for broadway shows and sightseeing. The city is pretty tourist friendly for getting around.

Enjoy your trip.

Good point.
A lot of the touristy stuff here in the Northeast shut down after labor day. Or at the very least limit their hours.

Will probably be Mid August next year, cannot take the boys out of school in term time or we get fined. :scared1:

A word to the wise if you were not already aware of it.....August is going to be very hot, humid and sticky all along the east coast but especially in Florida, New York and DC. Expect temperatures around/above 32 degrees Celcius.

NC has some amazing beaches just a few hours off of I-95! If you need any help, let me know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter