HHN 2014 reviews and trip reports

HHN continues making changes/improvements as the season progresses.

Good news - Halloween & TWD houses are both opening earlier in the evening which is helping to keep the queue managable at the beginning of the night. On previous weekends, when they opened at 6:30, the queues were already 45-60 minutes long before the houses even opened their doors and resulted in massive waits all night long. Even though both houses still tend to command the longest wait times, this has had a positive effect. You do miss out on some of the effects if you run these two houses in daylight the positive imact on the wait times is worth it, IMO.

In other positive news, AVP has also had some show enhancements as far as casting and makeup effects and these definitely add to the overall quality of the house.

Unfortunately, Roanoke seems to be the red headed step child of HHN24 and our run through the house yesterday was simply terrible with horrible timing and lackluster performaces by the Scareactors. It was disappointing because I had such high hopes for this house and to see the show quality deteriorating instead of improving makes me sad. It was almost as if the scareactors have given up and are now just phoning it in. Hopefully, this was just an abberation and future visits to the house will have better interaction, intensity, timing and scares.

MASKerade Unstitched remains my favorite thing about HHN this year and the Scareactors here just get better every night, making effective use of their props as well as the street itself - taking advantage of the giant posters/storybook pages outside of the Shrek queue and using the giant candles and even the trees quite effectively. They're also working together really well to single out good victims and then teaming up to create awesome scares.

Face Off has its moments and the scareactors are working it as much as they can, but there is still too much void space within the scare zone so it really remains a photo opportunity of the scareactors on the different stages. Love the guys and gals portraying the minions for the main characters, but they've got such a tough job due to size and layout of their area.

Bayou continues to show improvement as there seem to be more scareactors positioned here. The stilt walkers here do great work, as does the Voodoo Queen.

The Purge remains...loud. The auction is interesting but if you've seen it once, you don't need to see it again. The male "MC" is the creepiest character in the scare zone, and it can be fun listening to his chatter and interacting with him. Personally, I don't find the other characters scary at all despite the great efforts of the scareactors portraying them.

Bill & Ted remains entertaining and I'm looking forward to a few more visits this season.

I did my one visit of the season to Rocky and while I give kudos to the cast because they truly are excellent, this just isn't my cuppa, and I kind of hope that something fresh is brought to the Graveyard for next year. If you enjoy Rocky and have time, it is certainly worth seeing, but if you have to choose between this and Bill & Ted, I'd recommend the latter.

I went to HHN on Thursday, October 9 with 2 friends.

None of us had ever attended a HHN before.

We had been at Universal since Tuesday. Two of us have annual passes and the other had a 3 day ticket. We were each able to get the AP discounted ticket.

I had made reservations at Finnegan's using OpenTable about a month ago. Originally, only 2 of us were going to go so I had made the reservation for 2 for 3:45 pm. We went to the parks at opening that day, I went to Finnegan's around 11 and I was able to add a third to our reservation no problem.

I believe we went back to the room for a break around 1.

We were back in the park for our Finnegan's reservation at 3:45. We were seated right away and had a good waiter and good food. He knew that we were waiting around for HHN so he had all the food and drinks timed very well.

We also got to see some girl outside absolutely freak out over some guy who was on Big Brother who was there. I mean, she was shaking so bad we could see it from inside.

As time ticked on, the line for the Finnegan's bathroom got annoyingly long. Were there no other bathrooms to use inside that particular waiting area? So that was a little annoying. We got out of the restaurant and there was only about 10 minutes that we had to wait until we were quickly moving to the houses.

Before, we had worked out our must do list:

Walking Dead
Halloween
Face Off (I'm a huge fan of the show)
Alien Vs. Predator
Purge
Roanoke
From Dusk til Dawn
Dracula
Giggles & Gore
Dollhouse
then the other scare zones

I also wanted to see Bill and Ted because I'd heard so many good things, and one of my friend's really likes Rocky Horror so she wanted to see that.

So we had the 2 houses to choose from: Alien and Dracula. We joined what seemed like most of the rest of our holding area in the Alien line. People around us were snickering at all the people going through the express line that early, and there were a good many.

The wait time said 10 minutes, and we waited 15.

Alien Vs. Predator:

I feel like I need to say 2 of the 3 of us are not easily scared. And I think our third friend ended up feeding off our not scaredness so she wasn't easily scared either.

I was amazed at the set design of this house. I've been to haunted houses before but not anything on this level. I felt like I was walking through the movie.

I don't think any of the scares were timed to us. The 2 guys behind me were absolutely freaking out and I even turned around at one point and was like 'what is happening to you guys because it isn't happening to me'. I remember watching the guy with the alien on his face lying on the ground, I was pretty sure that he was an actor but we never saw him move.

I thought all the stuff hanging from the ceiling got pretty annoying.

I think maybe the special tours might be good for me, because I could not stop gawking at how well done all the sets and effects and makeup was. I thought the full body Predator at the end was awesome.

Anyway, we made it through our first house and none of us had really been scared.

At this point I had to use the bathroom, and we ended up walking through the Purge area to find one. It was really not scary in the bright sunlight. The girl was the mask followed me around a bit trying to get a reaction but she was disappointed.

After the bathroom I thought maybe it'd be a good strategy to try to make it to the Halloween house before the park opened to everyone else. I thought maybe since it was in the back we'd be able to beat some people there, so we headed there next.

The posted wait time was 30 minutes and we ended up waiting 40.

Halloween:

I liked how they had the facade of the house out front.

I thought this house was well done set wise as well, it felt like you were moving through the house and it was pretty detailed. I even remember some weird black and white show playing on the tv in the background when Michael was stabbing his sister.

Once again, none of us were really scared. I'm just not one to be scared at things that startle, especially if I'm expecting people to be jumping out.

But I did think the house was really interesting and neat. I think the room I liked best was the one with the laundry.

Next up it was just finally getting dark so we took a walk through the Bayou.

I think this was the most effective scare zone. There was a ton of mist so it was hard to see too far ahead. I liked the theme as well.

Next up we hit Face Off. I had to get my picture with all the make ups. I was a little disappointed with them though, I can think of a lot of scarier make ups during the show that weren't represented but it was still fun.

I can't really comment too much on the roaming scarers here, I was too busy smiling and enjoying the Face Off characters.

We were headed to Walking Dead but we saw on a wait times board that the wait was 120 minutes :( Instead we veered off and got in a 30 minute line for Dusk til Dawn.

From Dusk til Dawn:

Once again, a really nicely put together house I thought. I really felt like I was in a seedy bar in the middle of the desert.

And once again, no one was scared. I did like the makeup on the bat looking vampires.

Even though we weren't scared, I think there were less opportunities to be scared in this house.

After we were finished, we saw on another wait time board (so convenient) that Walking Dead was down to 90 minutes and we thought we may as well bite the bullet.

The posted wait time was 90 minutes and we ended up waiting 95. 95 excruciating minutes...this day was about the 12th day of a jam packed Disney and Universal trip (including running the TOT 10 Miler) so my feet were just done.

The trivia up on the screen was great...until it repeated itself 10 minutes later. You think they could have got a few more questions, or maybe just played episodes of the Walking Dead up there.

And then we got in view of the Prison and forgot all about the tired feet.

The Walking Dead:

that was the best facade of any of the houses. It was very dark back there and it really felt like you were coming upon a creepy, dilapidated prison. My one main complaint is that I wanted to take some pictures of the outside and all the dead zombies on the wall, but the express lane was in between us and the prison and people were constantly either walking past or taking their own pictures, so I never was able to get any decent pictures.

I just thought the Walking Dead was so amazing. It felt like you were journeying through the last season. Starting out with the dead pig outside, then coming inside to all the cells with the sick people and zombies inside. The guy in the shower as a zombie was really good.

The grocery store scene was great. I always kind of glossed over those scenes in the show and was like I could do that just fine. Its one thing to watch, another thing to walk through it.

I think I'm in agreement with everyone else that the strobe warehouse room was great. You couldn't tell which zombies were real and which were fake. My only complaint is that I felt I couldn't look around too much, I felt like if I didn't keep my eyes on the person in front of me then I'd probably get lost and not know where to go.

Then it was neat to be herded through Terminus.

I swear, I think I appreciated all these houses more for making me feel like I was in the movie/show than for actually scaring me.

Walking Dead was definitely the best house of the night.

After we got through that, I believe it was after 11. We were all pretty tired and beat, I really wanted to see Bill and Ted and it would be a good break so we headed there next. I think we got there 10 minutes before a show started and were just fine getting in, we were seated near the back but I didn't mind and I think it might be better to be able to see the whole stage that way.

They were so vigilant with no pictures or recording, and I wasn't sure why.

We all thought the show was really funny, if not a bit vulgar. We did see a dad with his 2 kids leaving about halfway through, I don't think it is kid appropriate at all.

Some of the jokes I remember are: a bunch of Sterling jokes, magic bands, Frozen, Guardians of the Galaxy, the bachelor, Neighbors, Justin Bieber and many others.

I think the show was over around 11:30...but the times are iffy here.

We were all just super tired. I told the others they could stay but I was done. Everyone else agreed with me, so we decided to go one more time through the Face Off area. An employee had told me they had 2 shifts and we were lucky enough to see the second this go around.

My friend wanted to try the Purge area again, so off we went.

It was much better in the dark. But I just thought there were too many people and the area was too big. We saw some chainsaw guy chasing some girls around, but it was kind of a flop to us. I guess there was some sort of auction scene? We never saw it.

After that, we left and got to walk through the Masquerade area. I thought that was a cool area and I liked all the costumes.

We were staying at the Hard Rock so were back at the room 10 minutes later, which was nice. I believe we left around midnight, so we missed an hour.

Thoughts if we could do it again:

I think I would have started with A Vs. P again, but I would have done Dracula immediately after as its lines got pretty long later in the night.

Then we probably should have gone to Walking Dead. One of my friends thought we should go there at the start, but didn't voice her opinion so of course I got blamed for my plan :confused3

I think if we hadn't gone at the end of a long vacation we could have been close to getting everything done.

As it was, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Yes...it's expensive but we had just the one night in this very short trip

Our guide's name was Lacey and she was awesome

We started by riding Transformers....which is very similar to Spiderman at Islands

Then to Roanoke...which I though was a good opening house
Dollhouse- which I can't way was scary...just disturbing...that ballerina..yeesh
Halloween- which was my second fav...it was just like being in the movie...and my biggest scare came outside of the house...I was walking along and made it out when BAM there was a massive Michael...I screamed like a banshee and ran so fast I lost my flip flops:lmao:

Stop at a bar

Mummy ride

Alien vs predator...not scary but really cool
Dracula untold- yeah...not a fan...nothing scary...no cool set...nope
The walking dead- HUGE fan of the show and I loved the house

Dusk til dawn- also a let down

another bar stop

then the house I was dreading the most...Giggles and gore...I hate clowns...but it was an interesting house...

another bar...Bill and Ted...and the tour was over

we did a couple of rides and the scarezones again

Can't wait for next year

Our 1st HHN was Sunday, October 12th. This had been on our bucket list for a long time.

One word - awesome! I mean absolutely AWESOME!

Went through every house - but had express pass purchased in advance. If we had not had this I think we would have had a hard time seeing 3 of them as the lines were long and the park was pretty packed.

Favorite house - The Walking Dead. But all of them were pretty darn good, least favorite might have been Dusk to Dawn for our group. Loved the Purge as well. The street actors had a good time with us - I guess I was chased at least a dozen times.

A great experience & now we are spoiled and probably won't go back unless it is planned during HHN.

We attended this past Thursday and had a great time. We only missed 1 house and we did NOT have express.

We joined a holding pen by Finnigans around 4:45. They opened the gates at 5:40 and we walked quickly to a rope right by Walking Dead. When that opened we were the first people in the regular line.

Loved the Walking Dead house, lots of screams and it was really well done.

We walked quickly to Alien vs Predator and walked on with no wait. Fun house but not really scary.

Then we walked quickly across the park to Halloween, they were just opening the house when we arrived. We waited 10 min or do. Based on reviews we thought this house was gonna be scary but it really wasn't.

Next up was Dollhouse & Cannibals. Dollhouse was creepy but not scary and we like the cannibal house. Only waited 15 min and 20.

After that we went to Dusk till dawn, we waited about 30 minutes. This house was ok, not s favorite.

Dracula was up next, our longest wait at 45 minutes. We loved this house it was really cool.

We only had 1 left but after we exited Dracula the park was PACKED!! Wait times had exploded and the clown house was 120 minutes. We got something to eat and wandered scare zones.

The scare zones to us just weren't scary at all. Big disappointment. We enjoyed last years sooo much more.

We ended up leaving at 11:30 cause it was just crazy crowded and we had gone every house but the clowns.

Our rankings from best to least favorite-

1- Walking Dead!! Best house by far. Scary and really well done. Loved it!!!

2- Dracula- I know this house has ranked low but we really enjoyed it.

3-A v P- fun house, loved the tunnel at the end.

4- Lost Colony of Roanoke- thought this house was cool, loved the set.

5- Dusk Till Dawn- thought this house was Ok but these vampire goblin guys were really scary so it gets #5

6- Dollhouse- outside was really cool looking. Thought this house was creepy but not scary.

7- Halloween- I know I'm the opposite of almost all but we just weren't impressed with this house.

Had a great time and will definitely return next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter