*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Surprised a little that the refurb will start in July. Then again, if they are going to do one building at a time (unsure if that is the case), then they'll need all the time they can get to finish within a reasonable amount of time and not knock out too many reservations along the way.

Low country vibe? Loosely.

Murphy beds? Happening.
I like the thought of murphy beds at dhhir.
Does the refurb look similar to vwl/brv?

It would be hard to fathom them only doing one building at a time; then again, I never thought they'd start in high season, either, so who knows? pirate:

Think stonewashed colors of drab gray, brown, light brown, foam green. . .with accent pieces in the form of light shades, curtains, and the ubiquitous paintings of Disney characters on the walls and the Murphy bed.
Sounds like the 1940s hunting/fishing lodge vibe of dhhir may be going away in the room refurb?

That doesn’t sound too bad. HHI is kind of known for stonewashed drab colors. That’s why I love it. No in-your-face colors. As long as we don’t have white walls with IKEA-looking furniture, I’m good. I could do without the paintings with Disney characters though. I love the nature paintings on the walls now.
I hope the paintings/maps of hhi stay in the room. I would also buy a painted tile from the kitchen if possible! We enjoy the special hhi only touches in the rooms.

The CM did say that she thought they may shut down more than one building at a time (but all close together) and that’s what would take a month. That does make sense. Maybe they shut down one building in July and then start shutting down more buildings at a time once low season begins?

Please share what you know about the vibe.
I hope that they have a handle on how many buildings are going to be shut down and when. July's getting into their busiest season, and by now reservations have been made based on a certain number of rooms being available. And unlike at WDW, they can't come to you at the very last minute and say "I'm sorry, but we've got to move you to [another resort on property]". Heck, we already made reservations at 11 months for November, so they'd better have some idea soon about then.

I hope that they have a handle on how many buildings are going to be shut down and when. July's getting into their busiest season, and by now reservations have been made based on a certain number of rooms being available. And unlike at WDW, they can't come to you at the very last minute and say "I'm sorry, but we've got to move you to [another resort on property]". Heck, we already made reservations at 11 months for November, so they'd better have some idea soon about then.
I totally agree!

Ugh, I was hoping to get a refurbished 1 BR at the main lodge starting 11/1. Sounds like that’s not going to happen.

Ugh, I was hoping to get a refurbished 1 BR at the main lodge starting 11/1. Sounds like that’s not going to happen.
Based on what the one CM told me, probably not. We were thinking of moving our August trip to November, but since we will be staying in a studio this time, we decided not to. We thought about pushing it to next spring, but there’s no guarantee they will be done even then.

Sounds like the 1940s hunting/fishing lodge vibe of dhhir may be going away in the room refurb?
They may not redo the main lobby area. Of that, I have no knowledge. If that's left alone, you'll still get it in there. However, no, the rooms will not have the same vibe, although I think they are leaving the bench with the heart carved in it.

We've got reservations for September. I hope that the refurb moves along quickly. I'm really glad to see characters coming on board!

They may not redo the main lobby area. Of that, I have no knowledge. If that's left alone, you'll still get it in there. However, no, the rooms will not have the same vibe, although I think they are leaving the bench with the heart carved in it.
I am curious to see what is untouched by the refurb and what will change.
The rooms do need a refurb, but I am worried about what the final looks may be compared to the original design of DHHIR.

If so, how will they still be able to justify the red roof to the town fathers. I remember learning during a tour of the resort was that the red roof was part of the fishing lodge theme. Fishing lodges painted their roofs red in order to make it easier for the planes, that brought their supplies to them, to find the lodge. That's how Disney was able to justify the need for a red roof- as part of their fishing lodge theme. On the other hand, at that time (when DHHIR)was being built, even the Red Roof Inn wasn't allowed to have a red roof. The Hilton Head town fathers just did not think that a red roof was "in keeping" with the vibe that Hilton Head wanted to project. Or maybe that's all HHI folklore-but then, it makes sense.

If so, how will they still be able to justify the red roof to the town fathers. I remember learning during a tour of the resort was that the red roof was part of the fishing lodge theme. Fishing lodges painted their roofs red in order to make it easier for the planes, that brought their supplies to them, to find the lodge. That's how Disney was able to justify the need for a red roof- as part of their fishing lodge theme. On the other hand, at that time (when DHHIR)was being built, even the Red Roof Inn wasn't allowed to have a red roof. The Hilton Head town fathers just did not think that a red roof was "in keeping" with the vibe that Hilton Head wanted to project. Or maybe that's all HHI folklore-but then, it makes sense.
Wow that is interesting and i had no idea. I only knew about how they lost the lawsuit for the location.

Are you an original owner from the beginning? I would like to hear more about how the resort started if possible. (I can only find info on dvc info)

Are you an original owner from the beginning? I would like to hear more about how the resort started if possible. (I can only find info on dvc info)

No, I didn't start visiting until 2003 (and at least once a year since). Back in (I think) late 2000s, there was a "Behind the Ears" tour with a CM named "Carol". The tour was only for DVC members, she'd point out the location of lots of the Hidden Mickeys on signs on Buildings, and stories about names -who's who on the signs, and general tidbits about the building of the resort and negotiating with the town fathers. I think her husband worked with one of the golf companies that owned about 5 golf courses. I took the tour almost every time we went-it seems that on every trip I learned something new that I'd forgotten.

No, I didn't start visiting until 2003 (and at least once a year since). Back in (I think) late 2000s, there was a "Behind the Ears" tour with a CM named "Carol". The tour was only for DVC members, she'd point out the location of lots of the Hidden Mickeys on signs on Buildings, and stories about names -who's who on the signs, and general tidbits about the building of the resort and negotiating with the town fathers. I think her husband worked with one of the golf companies that owned about 5 golf courses. I took the tour almost every time we went-it seems that on every trip I learned something new that I'd forgotten.
That is interesting. We did a Behind the Ears tour in Jan 2021 and enjoyed it. (I do not remember this part though!)
I wonder if this is the same Carol that drives for DHHIR?

I have tried to find an answer to this question, but I was wondering if anyone had utilized the local companies rent beach chairs/umbrellas. If so who you would recommend. When are set up/taken down. Do they have a reservation number/name on them so no one else uses them?

I have tried to find an answer to this question, but I was wondering if anyone had utilized the local companies rent beach chairs/umbrellas. If so who you would recommend. When are set up/taken down. Do they have a reservation number/name on them so no one else uses them?

We usually rent from Hilton Head Outfitters which is just across 278 in Palmetto Dunes. You can either pick the chairs/umbrellas up yourself or they will deliver them if you are also renting bikes.

HHI rents the blue chairs that are already on the beach but they are much more $. They will put your names on them if you are renting them for the week. https://www.shorebeach.com/

We usually rent from Hilton Head Outfitters which is just across 278 in Palmetto Dunes. You can either pick the chairs/umbrellas up yourself or they will deliver them if you are also renting bikes.

HHI rents the blue chairs that are already on the beach but they are much more $. They will put your names on them if you are renting them for the week. https://www.shorebeach.com/
Thank you for your help

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter