HH vs VB?

BLTtinkerbell

DIS Veteran
If you have stayed at both HH and VB, please share your experiences. We have only used our DVC to stay at WDW and are thinking of trying other locations. Thanks

Love both resorts! We just spent a couple of nights at Vero for the first time and my hard-to-please 20 year old son wants to go back and spend a week next summer. We loved that it is right on the ocean. Hilton Head is also a lovely resort, but you have to drive or take a shuttle to the ocean. There is plenty to do at both resorts, but they are very laid back compared to WDW.

We enjoyed Vero Beach resort, but if you are looking for much to do other than the beach and enjoying the resort itself, the options are much more limited than at Hilton Head.

I do love being on the beach at VB, but it is very simple to get to beach house at HHI.

Been to both and best thing to ask is what you are looking for. HHI is set back on the Marsh and is not on the ocean. It sits on it's own island so to speak and is surrounded by marsh on one side and a marina on the other. To get to the beach you have to take a shuttle, Drive or Bike. There is a beach house on the ocean for resort guests to use. HHI also does not have a sit down restaurant or lounge on property. They do have quick service counters for food and snacks, but they close pretty early, I believe by 5 PM every day. VB is sits right on the beach. It's more what I would call a full service resort since it does have a onsite restaurant and lounge that does stay open late. VB's Green cabin room also provides entertainment on a few evenings each week. Both have amenities you expect from Disney like pools and activities for the kids. I like both a lot, but I don't always feel I am at the beach when I am at HHI. When I am there I feel like I am always leaving the resort to go find something to do, like a nice meal or packing the car to go to the beach. Unless you have small kids. Most of the evenings activities that i remember are for the younger crowd. My youngest is 19 now. At VB I feel like I am at the beach. I just walk out the door and follow the paths to the beach. If I don't feel like driving I know I can always find a nice meal and maybe a late night drink at the lounge. Down side to VB is if you want to go someplace else for a meal or shopping you will have to drive a ways to get to anything. HHI you will still have to drive as well but there is a lot more stuff that is closer to the resort. So, you need to think about what you are looking for when it comes to your vacation at the beach. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'm leaving for our summer trip in about a week and will be stopping at HHI for 3 days, then heading to the world for a week and then head over to VB for a week. Can't wait! :dance3:

Thank you for all the replies. You have given me a lot to think about.

My kids are 11, 16 & 18. We have been to WDW many times and while we still enjoy it, we also want to see what else is out there. Next summer we are planning on staying at a Sea World hotel & going to DC, SW & Aquatica.

We are looking at ideas for 2015. Yes quite a bit away, but we are one of those DVC families that starts thinking about our next trip while on ME back to the airport! :) My kids also mentioned Aulani & I would consider going there if I found reasonable airfare, but not sure that would happen.

I also have to consider what would be available at 7 months out.

We like them both, but HHI is our definite preference! Why? HHI is a vacation destination in itself, so there are tons of great restaurants, concerts for kids, golf, mini-golf, bike trails, etc. when at HHI, we totally enjoy the resort, but also enjoy all the extra HHI fun too. We usually send the day going ack and forth between the beach house and the Big Dipper pool... Then out for a nice dinner or call in for pizza if there are evening resort activities.

We found that VB offered fewer activities for our school aged kids, and that the pool activity staff seemed to be going through the motions without a lot of enthusiasm (although one can't base a vacation decision on a few CM's may be having a bad week). And didn't like the fact that bike rental was by the hour/ day instead of length of stay. We also felt the restaurant was pricey, but no pricier than other Disney restaurants--- just fewer off-site options nearby, so we noticed it more.

However, VB had the turtle nests and snorkeling lessons....and mini-golf on site.

emma'smom said:
We like them both, but HHI is our definite preference! Why? HHI is a vacation destination in itself, so there are tons of great restaurants, concerts for kids, golf, mini-golf, bike trails, etc. when at HHI, we totally enjoy the resort, but also enjoy all the extra HHI fun too. We usually send the day going ack and forth between the beach house and the Big Dipper pool... Then out for a nice dinner or call in for pizza if there are evening resort activities.

We found that VB offered fewer activities for our school aged kids, and that the pool activity staff seemed to be going through the motions without a lot of enthusiasm (although one can't base a vacation decision on a few CM's may be having a bad week). And didn't like the fact that bike rental was by the hour/ day instead of length of stay. We also felt the restaurant was pricey, but no pricier than other Disney restaurants--- just fewer off-site options nearby, so we noticed it more.

However, VB had the turtle nests and snorkeling lessons....and mini-golf on site.

DVC HHI also had a ton of nature programs and outings for all ages that are included with your stay (Pikney island outing including transportation, marsh walk, bird walk, etc). Also dolphin tours for $, but members get a discount on one day I think.

DVC HHI also had a ton of nature programs and outings for all ages that are included with your stay (Pikney island outing including transportation, marsh walk, bird walk, etc). Also dolphin tours for $, but members get a discount on one day I think.

Are you saying they have a Pikney Island outing and it is free for resort guest and it includes the transportation?

Been to both (HH many times) and plan to start going to both every year. The bottom line - we love the VB resort being on the beach and the large availability of Inn rooms as well as the onsite restaurants. But It is pretty remote from everything. We much prefer the HH location. There is just so much more to do away from the resort as well as a number of close by restaurants. DW and I have said many times if the VB resort was located on the beach at HHI, we would have all our points there.

I've been thinking the same thing and torn between the two since I haven't been to neither. We are adults that love the beach but also looking for fishing, hiking etc.

Having been to both and both of equal distance from the house. We have been to HH 2 times and VB 3 we love to go to VB pre cruise and stay for 2 nights max. It is a 1 hour drive to the port. They do have a great pool which is shoes like Mickey with a fast water slide a mini golf course 4 places to eat. Dole Whips. Character breakfast on Saturday's limited to 2 characters seafood buffett on Thursdays. Activites I think HH wins this hands down. Lots of activites at HH for guests of all ages. The activites on VB seem to be limited to the under 10 unless you are doing a dolphin or Kayak tour. Just my thoughts. Looking forward to Sept when I can book.

from the POV of a HH owner...

We bought at HH after a great 2BR stay with extended family. Loved the activities available, the pool on the resort proper, and the accommodations. We found the ocean clean and warm on the summer time, but definitely not close to where you sleep. We figured we'd stop at HH on any driving trips from NJ to WDW. However - our first trip was our only trip. We have never been back to HH even though we added on there after our stay.

We have stayed at VB twice, both times piggybacking on other trips (WDW/Disney Cruise). The best thing about VB is it is located on the beach. The worst thing, it's not located near much else. Being from Jersey, we are used to having lots to do, lots of places to go while staying at the shore. The VB resort is a great place to stay, but IMHO, for short stays only.

We have tried both. We tried Vero as a 3 night add-on following a week at WDW. Made for a nice relaxing end to a hectic week and we really enjoy 10 day vacations. It's a beautiful resort and the OV Inn Room was really spacious BUT as already mentioned, there's not a whole lot to do in the area. The entire town rolls up the carpet by 9:00 pm. In fact we found that as late diners we were the last customers of the night in more than 1 restaurant. We found that 3 nights was plenty and were glad that we didn't try it for a week.

HHI is closer for us (a 10 hr. drive) so we tried it out for a full week one August. It was odd for us to be at the beach but not staying ON the beach. We found the parking lot too small over at the beach house and had to circle & wait for spaces several times. Once parked, if we found we needed something back at the room we took the little shuttle - but that could easily eat up 30-45 minutes. The resort is also constructed of wood and there's a lot of noise in the floorboards etc. We heard EVERY footstep in the unit above us. The beach is very wide and is hard & flat & many people ride bikes on it. Bike rentals are a big business down there. But there are NO waves to be found so we didn't find the ocean to be overly exciting to play in. When we were there in August it was during a prolonged heat wave and the warm ocean water was bringing in jellyfish by the thousands. There were a couple of days where nobody could go in without getting stung so we hung out at the pool instead because it was too hot to just sit there on the beach without getting wet. We DID find that there is a lot more to do in the area tho than at Vero - much better for kids - esp. if going for a full week. There are water adventure sport places where you can tube or water ski etc. on the inland waterways. Stuff like that which is not available at Vero. There are also a lot more dining options.

We will likely try both resorts again in the future just to keep our trips mixed up but neither of them are calling us to come anytime SOON. For kids I would say HHI is a better bet tho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter