HH Questions

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
We usually go to SSR for February break but are considering HH for the ocean and to cut costs. How uncomfortable is the sofa bed? Do we need to rent a car for more dining options or are there restaurants near the resort we can walk to? What is their beach like in February? Anything fun to do in the area? DD will be 10 when we travel. Thanks!

I love the HHI resort. Very relaxing. There are a few restaurants within walking distance but I would recommend a car to be able to explore more of the island. The beach will be cold in February but both of the pools are heated and open as long as the feels like is above 50 I believe, You can rent bikes and bike all over, there are crafts, pool games and activities at the resort.

My grandsons ages 5 and 7 had no problem with the sofa bed. That being said, there is no way I would think an adult would be comfortable. You need to rent a car or drive to the resort. We found the beach in a February to be chilly and windy, but were able to spend some time there.

My grandsons ages 5 and 7 had no problem with the sofa bed. That being said, there is no way I would think an adult would be comfortable. You need to rent a car or drive to the resort. We found the beach in a February to be chilly and windy, but were able to spend some time there.

My adult sons have slept on the sofa bed and chair, no problem. Their girlfriends joined us last trip, and they slept on the sofa bed and chair and they said they were comfortable. There are some restaurants within walking distance and even more within an easy bike ride. Not sure if I'd want to rely on a bike though in February just because you don't know what the temperature will be like. If you didn't want to commit to a rental car the whole trip, I guess you could Uber. I haven't tried that though since we always drive. It is an amazing resort, and I think you will absolutely love it. It's our favorite place!!!

We usually go to SSR for February break but are considering HH for the ocean and to cut costs. How uncomfortable is the sofa bed? Do we need to rent a car for more dining options or are there restaurants near the resort we can walk to? What is their beach like in February? Anything fun to do in the area? DD will be 10 when we travel. Thanks!
Most people recommend a car for a stay at HHI in Feb. due to the weather and more options to visit locations.
We were there for President's Day and the weather could be 50 or 70 during the day.
You will enjoy a relaxing vacation and it is cheaper than WDW.

There apparently is a huge difference in comfort while sleeping on the sofa beds. Both of my friends who slept on a pull out last week were very happy! One was on the chair in the living room, the other was on the pull out in the studio.

Weather last week, March 20-25 was very mixed, and not very good for swimming. We had one and a half very rainy days. Three of us ventured into the pool on those days, but the cold rain definitely cleared the pool.

If I was doing another Friends Stay, I’ll book April.

Most people recommend a car for a stay at HHI in Feb. due to the weather and more options to visit locations.
We were there for President's Day and the weather could be 50 or 70 during the day.
You will enjoy a relaxing vacation and it is cheaper than WDW.
Which airport would we fly into from Vermont? Other attractions besides ocean and eating in the area? Thanks!

There apparently is a huge difference in comfort while sleeping on the sofa beds. Both of my friends who slept on a pull out last week were very happy! One was on the chair in the living room, the other was on the pull out in the studio.

Weather last week, March 20-25 was very mixed, and not very good for swimming. We had one and a half very rainy days. Three of us ventured into the pool on those days, but the cold rain definitely cleared the pool.

Are there walking trails around?

One more question sorry! Is there a pool bar?

There are a few restaurants that you can walk to. However, IMO, you really need to rent a car at HHI to fully enjoy it. Lots of restaurants that are good are driving distance, and the nearest grocery store, although you can walk there, once you have your groceries, a car makes it much easier to get back.
And regarding the sofa bed and chair (that opens to a twin bed), DH has slept on both and says that although they're both OK, the chair is much better.

One more question sorry! Is there a pool bar?
At the Beach House, there is a pool bar with limited hours.

At the main pool, sometimes they have pop up bars. Here is a pic from Nov 2021. This is under Tide Me Over against the recreation area.

1648757012272.jpeg

Which airport would we fly into from Vermont? Other attractions besides ocean and eating in the area? Thanks!
There are 3 nearby airports, with the one on Hilton Head Island itself, the closest to the resort. As we were going down 278 around 2:30pm, a plane was landing and as it flew over us on the highway, it was a close encounter. They are very low as they approach because the island is not that wide. DD prefers this airport.

Savannah/Hilton Head Airport is the 2nd closest, about 45 minutes.

Charleston is about 2 hours away.

Fishing, golf - loads of golf.
Shopping at outlets and some upscale as well as some secondhand shops.

Horseback riding.

Museums. There is a newish Children's Museum over on Pope near Coligny area.

Last edited:
Are there walking trails around?

The island is full of bike trails and I see people walking as well as biking on them.

Shelter Cove Community Park is a lovely spot to walk around. It is not as close as the marina area which is right at the resort, but it is walkable to. There is also a very nice playground over there. Some restaurants and shopping are right there and there is a small boardwalk area and a pond in the back closer to the marsh area, near a memorial. This area is newish in the last several years.

Pinckney Island National Wildlife refuge is also nice to walk around. I've gone there as part of a tour (it was free then) from the resort with the resort naturalist and it was an interesting few hours of walking around. The resort has a few vehicles that they use to transport guests for some activities as well as a beach shuttle.

Have also gone to Burke's Beach with the naturalist on one of these outings and we walked the beach and enjoyed some history and knowledge about sea life.

Just walking around the marina is a nice walk in the morning. In the evening, there are usually a lot more people around depending on time of year.

There are also some historical sites close by, depending on your interests.

Sofa bed and chair are hard to sit on. The cushions slide but not bad for sleeping.

For a trip of 4 or 5 nights, plenty of food within walking distance, but for some of the more interesting options car or uber/lyft/taxi.

Cutting costs. If you get a 1 or 2 bedroom, cooking all meals will definitely cut costs. Or even getting prepared meals at Kroger/Whole Foods/Publix/Fresh Market. All fairly close by, but not all walking distance. My food costs in March were minimal because it was just myself and 1 grandchild. We did takeout at several restaurants, and also a bit of groceries and some breakfast from Tide Me Over, plus simple soup, salad and sandwiches. And Dole whips. I also always get fried shrimp and fries and coleslaw at Crazy Crab. It's my tradition.

I've kind of answered questions backwards, so getting to your first post: I think a 10 year old can enjoy a lot at HH. First of all, if she is not too shy to interact, the castmembers make it a point to be kind and friendly to kids in a good way.

There are a few activities to sign up for that can break the ice and make a child feel comfortable. On Sundays and Wednesdays Pluto is usually out and the kids get great one on one time - much more so than at WDW. And then every Cast member is a character (in a good way) in themselves. The recreation staff go above and beyond to be friendly with the kids. The resort is somewhat pool centric in a good way. In February many days are going to be cool for swimming but the kids are welcome in the hot tub/spa and frequently go back and forth to warm up. Hope the lovely lady who was talking to the girls doesn't mind getting added to Disboards!
Spa/hot tub:
20220124_153818.jpg

In February the ocean will be great for walking near and looking at, but not for swimming. Too cool. This is from a cooler day mid March 2020:

1beach1 (2).jpg

We were there same week this year and it was quite a bit cooler. We wore jackets both in January and March of this year all but one day in March. In this pic the girls were dancing in the shallow water (2020). 2022, not so much!

This pic is zoomed in a lot from the dunes area. It is a very wide beach and there is soft sand near the dunes and flat and hard sand for biking and walking closer to the shore. The resort also has a walkway with a mat on it to walk across the softer dunes area and for beach wheelchairs to get to the harder sand.

Last edited:
Sofa bed and chair are hard to sit on. The cushions slide but not bad for sleeping.

For a trip of 4 or 5 nights, plenty of food within walking distance, but for some of the more interesting options car or uber/lyft/taxi.

Cutting costs. If you get a 1 or 2 bedroom, cooking all meals will definitely cut costs. Or even getting prepared meals at Kroger/Whole Foods/Publix/Fresh Market. All fairly close by, but not all walking distance. My food costs in March were minimal because it was just myself and 1 grandchild. We did takeout at several restaurants, and also a bit of groceries and some breakfast from Tide Me Over, plus simple soup, salad and sandwiches. And Dole whips. I also always get fried shrimp and fries and coleslaw at Crazy Crab. It's my tradition.

I've kind of answered questions backwards, so getting to your first post: I think a 10 year old can enjoy a lot at HH. First of all, if she is not too shy to interact, the castmembers make it a point to be kind and friendly to kids in a good way.

There are a few activities to sign up for that can break the ice and make a child feel comfortable. On Sundays and Wednesdays Pluto is usually out and the kids get great one on one time - much more so than at WDW. And then every Cast member is a character (in a good way) in themselves. The recreation staff go above and beyond to be friendly with the kids. The resort is somewhat pool centric in a good way. In February many days are going to be cool for swimming but the kids are welcome in the hot tub/spa and frequently go back and forth to warm up. Hope the lovely lady who was talking to the girls doesn't mind getting added to Disboards!
Spa/hot tub:
View attachment 659006

In February the ocean will be great for walking near and looking at, but not for swimming. Too cool. This is from a cooler day mid March 2020:

View attachment 659001

We were there same week this year and it was quite a bit cooler. We wore jackets both in January and March of this year all but one day in March. In this pic the girls were dancing in the shallow water (2020). 2022, not so much!

This pic is zoomed in a lot from the dunes area. It is a very wide beach and there is soft sand near the dunes and flat and hard sand for biking and walking closer to the shore. The resort also has a walkway with a mat on it to walk across the softer dunes area and for beach wheelchairs to get to the harder sand.
Thank you for your detailed reply. That is a huge hot tub! Can you walk to the beach house from the hotel or do you have to take the shuttle? Thx again!!

Thank you for your detailed reply. That is a huge hot tub! Can you walk to the beach house from the hotel or do you have to take the shuttle? Thx again!!

You can walk but it's about 1 and 1/3 miles. And yes, I was trying to show the size of the spa. It works well at Hilton Head considering it does get quite cold there at times.

You can always walk one way and do the shuttle back if you want to walk.

In February, the chair rentals are not available at the beach. Even though it's right in front of the beach house, it is a public beach and the town of Hilton Head hires the guards and rents the chairs and cleans the beach during the swimming season. I keep a folded camping chair in my car for my visits. You can buy cheap chairs at CVS or Walmart or Target if you need to or just grab a towel at the beach house and sit on the sand. I'm old so sitting on the sand means I need help getting up - those knees!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter