• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here, now... with Covid.

Pills

DIS Veteran
We came down on Wednesday, were at Copper Creek for two nights and moved to the Poly yesterday.

Had a good first few days - hit MK, DHS and finally AK yesterday. My younger daughter was coughing a little, but it was reacting to Claritin so we thought it was just an allergy to something in the room or resort. Yesterday was a bit of a cluster after we left AK. It started pouring on the way back, and the bus hatch leaked. We had a Steakhouse 71 reservation for 5:05. We put our bags down in our room (running through the pouring rain), came back... and the monorail was down. Went down to the bus station as we were told there would be buses running the monorail loop, and there was no place to even stand. So, I ordered a Minnie van... which was going to take a half hour. I went back in and asked if they could call Steakhouse 71 and tell them we'd be late, and were told the monorail was back up. I tried checking into the reservation and couldn't (was ~20 minutes after). Finally go to the Contemporary and in around 5:45, but all was good and they were very understanding.

Went back to the Poly, my family changed for MNSSHP, and off we went.

We went on Pirates and then watched the parade (the pirate ship got stuck in Liberty Square). They were stopping people from moving, and my older daughter's breathing wasn't great. She took her inhaler and it didn't improve. My wife took her to first aid while the younger one and I watched the fireworks. We collected them and went on Buzz, but walking fast was hurting her chest. We sat for a bit after Buzz, went on the PeopleMover, and she decided that she wanted to go to urgent care. Went back to first aid, and rode in an ambulance to Horizon West Hospital. They tested her for a few things; her vitals were beautiful, but the PCR was positive.

Disney paid for the ER visit as well as the taxi voucher back.

Got back to the room at 2:30 AM, spoke to the resort manager this morning. I went and picked up the breakfast mobile order and felt some tightness in my own chest. Eventually we ordered covid tests we took them; my younger daughter and I were negative, but my wife (who feels fine) is positive.

So, we're essentially stuck in the room at the Poly until we leave on Monday. Our H2O Glow night tickets were refunded (we're feeling that one; we were all REALLY looking forward to it tonight). No Epcot days. We decided we're going to do a long weekend in two months; my little one will miss one day of school, and the older one (senior in college) has a class she can get out of for a day.

This just really, really, REALLY sucks.

I'm sorry. That is awful. How are you getting home Monday? I'm betting you all have it, it's just not showing up on the rapid tests yet. Keep testing.

I'm sorry. That is awful. How are you getting home Monday? I'm betting you all have it, it's just not showing up on the rapid tests yet. Keep testing.
Flight on Delta. I'm sure we all do have it - the saving grace is that my wife nor I are really showing symptoms, and the kids have really had it for a few days each already, so their normal 5 days will be up by then. The only one that actually has an type of outward symptoms is my little one, and she just tested negative. We always wear masks on flights.

My older daughter goes back to school on Tuesday, and HS starts for the little one on Wednesday.

That sux. Hope everyone gets through it fine.

For what it's worth, here are the newest guidelines from CDC...

FZ54-IjWQAEAhOQ.jpg

That sux. Hope everyone gets through it fine.

For what it's worth, here are the newest guidelines from CDC...

FZ54-IjWQAEAhOQ.jpg
Yeah, but WDW has different rules. ;)

I'd heard that by asking nicely, they may be able to extend our tickets. We have three days on them left; we're thinking that we're going to come 10/20-23 with three days in the park, including going to TL one day to make up for the lost H2O Glow night.

Just a small update for today. My daughters are actually both feeling better (they just got back with dole whips in the POURING rain). My wife and I are a little worse, but it's not terrible; I just have a sore throat, but that's it. We can extend if we need to.

Got another call from the property managers, so we're hoping not to have to eat Cpt. Cooks or Kona to go tonight. ;)

Funny thing is that today should've been Epcot; we had no reservations and were going to snack at the stands all day. No matter what, it rains on us in Epcot without fail. It's actually coming down worse than I think I've ever see in all of our years coming down. The one saving grace of being stuck in the resort!

Staying as far away from people as possible, masks on. They reported that no one else was there; would not have gone otherwise.

Problem is... we have to eat. No one is delivering to our room.

We're taking every possible precaution we can, but food is definitely the issue. Not riding in elevators with people, staying away on the walk ways, standing away when getting food. Trying to make sure as much as possible that we're at least 6-10' away from people. Masks on once the room door is open.

Last edited:
I’d say you’re doing what you can to not spread it. I guarantee there are plenty of people out there that won’t even test, knowing full well what they are experiencing. You’ve got to eat!! At least enjoy the family time together! 😞
Thanks. We didn't even want to take the chance to order from Gasparilla's or something different on the monorail. My older daughter is actually almost at 100%, and my wife and younger daughter are actually feeling much better. The younger one was coughing and had a very runny nose. Both are gone. My wife just suddenly started feeling better around 4 - same thing happened to my mom when she had it a few months back. I'm a little congested, have a tiny sore throat and am coughing a little as well. Hopefully this is the worst it gets and I'm better when I wake up tomorrow. We're all triple vaxxed.

They gave us a late checkout until 5 so we can stay in the room until we're leaving.

Just a morning (early afternoon?) update. The three others sound and feel like they're almost done with colds. I feel like I'm in the middle of one. No Dayquil here. I tried to order, but delivery times are when we're leaving.

I can't help but think about it, though. If my older daughter hadn't had tightness in her chest, where would we be? Would we have thought it was just a cold going through our family? About 4-5 weeks ago, I felt almost exactly the same as I'm feeling now. I took 4 tests (3 rapid, one PCR at Urgent Care), all negative. I took Halls and Day/Nyquil and I was fine in few days, as usual for a cold. Would there have been any reason to think that this wasn't the same thing?

Would we have stayed at MNSSHP? Gone to H2O Glow? Walked around Epcot yesterday (and MK now) without masks?

How many other people think the same thing, that it's just a cold and will pass?

Maybe 1-2 percent of the people in the parks are masked. I'm not sure I've seen any at the resorts except for us.

Last edited:
Just a morning (early afternoon?) update. The three others sound and feel like they're almost done with colds. I feel like I'm in the middle of one. No Dayquil here. I tried to order, but delivery times are when we're leaving.

I can't help but think about it, though. If my older daughter hadn't had tightness in her chest, where would we be? Would we have thought it was just a cold going through our family? About 4-5 weeks ago, I felt almost exactly the same as I'm feeling now. I took 4 tests (3 rapid, one PCR at Urgent Care), all negative. I took Halls and Day/Nyquil and I was fine in few days, as usual for a cold. Would there have been any reason to think that this wasn't the same thing?

Would we have stayed at MNSSHP? Gone to H2O Glow? Walked around Epcot yesterday (and MK now) without masks?

How many other people think the same thing?

Maybe 1-2 percent of the people in the parks are masked. I'm not sure I've seen any at the resorts except for us.
Yes, I totally think the same thing. My daughter has allergies and has “cold” symptoms often. Both times that she had Covid I didn’t know until I got it from her. Complicating things are how people can test negative the first couple of days of symptoms. I’m quite sure that there are many people who test for a couple of days(or just once), think they are in the clear, symptoms improve and they go on with their lives never knowing that they had Covid in the 1st place. I mean if I just have uncomplicated cold symptoms, I’m not going to even test if I’m being honest.

Yes, I totally think the same thing. My daughter has allergies and has “cold” symptoms often. Both times that she had Covid I didn’t know until I got it from her. Complicating things are how people can test negative the first couple of days of symptoms. I’m quite sure that there are many people who test for a couple of days(or just once), think they are in the clear, symptoms improve and they go on with their lives never knowing that they had Covid in the 1st place. I mean if I just have uncomplicated cold symptoms, I’m not going to even test if I’m being honest.
Exactly. Really, the only thing that wasn't a cold symptom was the tightness in her chest and the fact that it didn't respond to her inhaler.

Well, I would hope that if you all had cold symptoms, you'd at least have masked up in the parks, on buses and monorails, etc, but it doesn't sound like you did at the start of having these mild symptoms. So, you probably ended up sick because others did exactly that (went to the parks with cold symptoms and didn't wear masks).

This is where, as a society, it would benefit everyone if sick people wore masks out in public for the protection of others. It will never happen in this county though.

And at this point, you have to treat cold symptoms as potential covid unless cleared by numerous tests. I had like 4 colds and a bout of acute bronchitis between sping 2020 and 2022. It was never covid, but I acted like it might be. I masked when I had to run errands even after I knew it was just a cold (because no one wants my cold either).

When I finally did get covid, it felt different enough from a cold that I was immediately suspicious, and took a test day one that turned up positive. We were in the middle of a Disneyland vacation. We packed up and drove home (easy to do for us) that same day. My symptoms: scratchy throat and mild dizziness. I made it 3 hours in the park before I put on a mask and drove home to take a test. I feel bad about the 3 hours I was in the park with a scratchy throat.

Actually, we thought my younger daughter was reacting to something because her mild symptoms were being abated by allergy meds. She was the only one with anything before the MNSSHP night. We've masked up since every time the room door opens.

There was one specific instance I can think of where she was fine, and someone sat near us and her nose started running. The person left, and she was fine again in a couple of minutes. Very typical of an allergy presentation.

And, really, if the kids were sick, we were going to get sick anyway. One thing to be isolated in a house; another in a deluxe studio.

Honestly at this point COVID is basically the common cold. I wouldn't really treat it as anything different. I'm sorry you all got sick on vacation and that it looks like you will be able to make up some time going down in October. Have a GREAT flight home!
Just FYI, Covid is far from the common cold. I spent two Saturday evenings ago in the ER with my five year old who tested positive. She had a fever of 105.8! The nurse said she's only ever seen a child with a temp that high one other time in 10 years. She was sick for two weeks - she's double vaccinated and she was as sick as I've ever seen a child. I've got three kids, and no cold has ever done that. Some people may do okay and it may be a simple cold for some, but it's far from that for others, and unfortunately, it can be a roll of the dice. My daughter is healthy and active and was vaccinated, and it was still horrible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter