Here now Sept 11-22 with 4 year old and baby

Yes, it is extremely hot, and that is coming from someone living in Alabama. Dang it was HOT, HOT, HOT.

I will add that although we don't use rider swap, I'm surprised that you are finding it difficult to go and do something else and return within the hour. Wait times while we were there, Sept 9-14, were extraordinarily short. You might not make it through the stand by for 7DMT in an hour, but you could make it through standby for Pooh in an hour. Pandora would be a problem because there is simply nothing else there.

I hope you take the time to visit guest services about the rider swap. Allowing even 2 hours would be welcome from the sound of it.
How did you manage HHN? I've done it in the past. Just wondering what you did with the kids.

We have used the garden space to watch HEA back when it was a FP area. Although obviously not as bad as Main Street it was quite crowded when filled to capacity. People were standing and with kids on shoulders etc. many spots did have obstructed views. I cannot imagine paying what they are now asking for the dessert party if they still continue to fill it to the same capacity that we experienced it at. However, many people do say that it is still worth the money to have that reserved space.

If I am going to get someone tall standing directly in front of me there, just like on Main Street, it doesn't sound like it is worth it for us.

This is always a possibility, but the draw of the garden is that there should be some elbow room where you can take two steps to your right or left to have a better view. I can't imagine the dessert parties are filling up the garden shoulder to shoulder like on Main Street, but hopefully the OP will come back to clarify.

Thanks for the live update. We have an ADR for breakfast at Crystal Palace on our next trip (Nov-Dec 2018, no kids). We haven't been there before. Did you do breakfast, and if so, how was your experience there? Enjoy the rest of your trip!
We ate at 10:30 and so we enjoyed breakfast and a few lunch items for the price of breakfast! Make sure you try Pooh's Stuffed French toast on the kids table.

Previously the non-rider got to have paper return that allowed him/her to come back that day (or within a few days). Now the non-rider has to get the rider return on his/her magic band and only has an hour to ride it. The result is that the young children are stuck waiting for two adults to ride instead of getting to drop off mom/dad and then go do something else with the other adult returning when it's convenient. I don't think it's the magic band issue as much as it is the one-hour window tying up the day.
Thank you for summarizing. My issues exactly.

This is always a possibility, but the draw of the garden is that there should be some elbow room where you can take two steps to your right or left to have a better view. I can't imagine the dessert parties are filling up the garden shoulder to shoulder like on Main Street, but hopefully the OP will come back to clarify.
The garden was definitely not as full as Main Street, just more full than I expected. Also, people were yelling at others to sit and so I found that it was harder to get a clear view because you couldn't just step to the right or left. I know opinions on this differ, but I feel that views are better when everyone stands. I would suggest just going to the garden a little early to get a good space. We went at 8 for 8:30 show and it was slim pickings for a spot at that time.

Yes, it is extremely hot, and that is coming from someone living in Alabama. Dang it was HOT, HOT, HOT.

I will add that although we don't use rider swap, I'm surprised that you are finding it difficult to go and do something else and return within the hour. Wait times while we were there, Sept 9-14, were extraordinarily short. You might not make it through the stand by for 7DMT in an hour, but you could make it through standby for Pooh in an hour. Pandora would be a problem because there is simply nothing else there.
Parks like MK are no issue. It's harder in HS and AK where attractions are so far away.

I hope you take the time to visit guest services about the rider swap. Allowing even 2 hours would be welcome from the sound of it.
How did you manage HHN? I've done it in the past. Just wondering what you did with the kids.
Traveling with grandparents! We're very lucky for that.

Huh, weird. We just got back 9/9 - 9/14 and thought the weather was great! Didn't seem too hot most of the time, and there was always a good breeze. Plus it only rained for like five minutes the whole time we were there (although that did ruin MNSSHP imo).

Parks like MK are no issue. It's harder in HS and AK where attractions are so far away.
Or if you're wanting everyone to ride the ride without a height requirement together. All my kids, no matter their height like to ride even the no height requirement ride, so while I may technically be able to take the little ones by myself to ride something else, the way we tour we just wait so everyone can go together. That's the perk of WDW to us as opposed to a typical amusement park, there are so many things we can ALL ride as a family and that's what we do, so there's no way to be able to wait until 1st group gets off then go to 2nd ride for everyone and b back in time.

The garden was definitely not as full as Main Street, just more full than I expected. Also, people were yelling at others to sit and so I found that it was harder to get a clear view because you couldn't just step to the right or left. I know opinions on this differ, but I feel that views are better when everyone stands. I would suggest just going to the garden a little early to get a good space. We went at 8 for 8:30 show and it was slim pickings for a spot at that time.

Thanks for clarifying! So most people were sitting on the grass and expected everyone to do the same? I would have expected everyone to stand, given that its standing room. If people want seats, they are expected to book the Terrace party. Not everyone can or wants to sit on grass.

Huh, weird. We just got back 9/9 - 9/14 and thought the weather was great! Didn't seem too hot most of the time, and there was always a good breeze. Plus it only rained for like five minutes the whole time we were there (although that did ruin MNSSHP imo).
I guess that's the difference in perspective. There is snow back home and I can't wait to get to the cold! Lol. I love Disney, but it's too damn HOT!

Thanks for clarifying! So most people were sitting on the grass and expected everyone to do the same? I would have expected everyone to stand, given that its standing room. If people want seats, they are expected to book the Terrace party. Not everyone can or wants to sit on grass.
Yes. Everyone sat except the people at the back rail. A few people stood and people were screaming at them. It was kinda weird for me to see adults act like that. I wanted to stand but didn't want to get yelled at so I just sat. I'll write Disney about this experience. It was nice, but not $70 nice.

Thanks for the honesty about young kids at Disney. From 3-5 years old our son has been to WDW 3 times and DL once with another WDW and DL trips in the next 6 months... but on each trip there is a meltdown point. The heat, the overstimulation, the long days gets to be too much for little ones. Those who just keep their young children in the stroller all day and push forward on 12-14 hour days are not doing right by them - they need proper rest and down time. Sorry to be preachy but it’s just common sense. We’ve found that staying deluxe and leaving plenty of time for the pool helps. Hope you leave with wonderful memories despite any issues!

We have 3 days left in our trip and so I thought I'd post for those who are here soon.

Weather: holy man it's HOT!!!!!! I thought it would be hot but this is nuts. (I'm Canadian for referemce).

Crowds: MK crowds on party days are low! 35 minute wait for Space. AK was manageable with FOP fast passes. EPCOT is busy with F&W. Lines haven't been long for us, but it feels busier than the other parks. HS was busy in toy story land.

MDE: is terrible. Fast passes never show up and app never works for adding new ones. Luckily with low crowds this hasn't impacted us greatly, it's just extremely annoying to go off memory for FP or find a kiosk.

Cast members: have been amazing. They've gone above and beyond this trip and we feel the magic.

New rider swap: is horrible for families with young children. Staying in the same area and doing the ride twice in a row is unfair for young kids. We've started skipping it and one person in our party just skips the attraction.

Disney Springs: we've had such a great time here! The dance party my son and I started at the stage tonight was amazing!

Food: soooooooo good. Crystal Palace, T-Rex (yup, that too), Sultulii Canteen, Polite Pig, Tusker House, Earl of Sandwich, Ghiridelli. Everything has been excellent.

Travel with young kids: this has been tough. The heat, lack of sleep (even with nap breaks), over stimulation. All make for cranky kids. Trying my best to look past some things while keeping my standards in place, but it's been hard.

Happily Ever After Dessert Party: food was nice. But garden was crowded. I didn't realize how crowded it would be and our spot was slightly obstructed. Kinda disappointed for the money spent.

Halloween Horror Nights: UNREAL! So much fun and we have one more night to go!

Let me know if you'd like to know anything. And I'll try my best to answer.

As a fellow Canadian, I feel your pain over the weather. I went in early October last year and was absolutely melting. I too thought it would be warm, but I assumed pleasantly warm, I mean... it’s fall. Instead it was just HOT. And humid. Apparently I said ‘how do people live like this???’ about a thousand times :rotfl2:

As a fellow Canadian, I feel your pain over the weather. I went in early October last year and was absolutely melting. I too thought it would be warm, but I assumed pleasantly warm, I mean... it’s fall. Instead it was just HOT. And humid. Apparently I said ‘how do people live like this???’ about a thousand times :rotfl2:
Well Autumn doesn't officially start until this coming Saturday though yes I know what you mean.

Where I'm at in the middle of the U.S. it was mid to upper 80s for us today and tomorrow it will be 90. We'll get a nice cool down this weekend though. First part of September for us where I'm at still can have 90s and be very humid.

September in FL is not cool by any means. It's usually very hot. When we were there last year during Irma heat index of over 100 if I remember correctly in the days after. I sympathize though. I may get heat and humidity but it still can make me cranky plus I get hangry and that never helps :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter