Here now, MBs plus RFID cards = so much to carry!

snoopy5386

DIS Veteran
I thought the idea of the MB was to be able to carry less, instead I am feeling like a pack rat this trip. I'm the mom in our group with two little kids which means carrying their room keys and their AP cards and their magic bands in addition to my own. In the olden days I didn't need to carry their room keys at all, but now I have to since they are the MB backups for FP+ and now that the APs are on RFID cards they take up a ton of wallet space as opposed to the thin paper passes. I always switch to a thin little travel wallet at Disney, but this trip I couldn't - too much stuff, it wouldn't fit! Including my ID, one credit card and my DVC membership card I'm carrying around 9 different cards, plus the MBs.

Ended up losing my MB tonight, I had to take it off my right wrist so the gate guard at the Poly could scan it, stuck it in my purse with the kids' bands and went to pull it out later and it was gone. Now I have a boring grey one. Oh well.

Enjoying FP+ so far, but not carrying so much stuff!

Why are you carrying the bands? From what I understand, they are intended to be worn, even by children (the inner lining is apparently removable for smaller wrists).

Because they don't want to wear them (especially the 3 yo, she takes it off ASAP) and I don't want them to get lost. They are little kids, they fiddle with stuff. The 7 yo is better about keeping hers on, but often wants it off too. We're not a bracelet wearing family I guess. DH has had his on the whole trip, but the rest of us have been taking them on and off. I'm not a fan of something on my wrist either.

I had to use the RFID card tonight after I lost my band and it did work, but the CMs definitely acted as if this was out of the norm, wasn't going to work and were surprised when it did. They definitely expect the bands, the cards are for "back up". I think my magic cards are in the works still? If/when they become the norm we'll certainly be choosing them.

It will be nice when they get all the kinks out. Then hopefully we will be able to carry nothing at all except for wearing the MB. ;)

In order to combat the taking of the bracelet off, I told my sister to buy my my godchild (turns 5 Thursday) a cheapo wrist watch. And for every day she wore it the whole day, she would get a little treat in the evening. Whether it was to watch her favorite movie on a night she didn't get to watch movies, or an extra snack.

She hasn't taken the watch off all month. I might have to buy her something special while we're there if she keeps it on the whole time.

I thought the idea of the MB was to be able to carry less, instead I am feeling like a pack rat this trip. I'm the mom in our group with two little kids which means carrying their room keys and their AP cards and their magic bands in addition to my own.

Enjoying FP+ so far, but not carrying so much stuff!

:lmao:

I did too!
I carried both my kids and all the KTTW cards, our APs, DVC card, TIW card...
It wasn't a lot of improvement yet with MB.
I'm hoping once they figure out how to attach all those into MB I can just get rid of all the cards and just worry about keeping the MBs safe (if the kids don't want to wear them).

If you're not going to wear them then why carry them? You are already carrying the passes and the KTTWs and they will do the same thing. You don't have to carry them at all. In the future if the kids don't want bands you can get a card instead, and keep those for them.

And yep, you have to carry stuff even if you didn't carry the KTTW cards:
Annual pass (no discounts if you don't carry it)
DVC member card (you need it for discounts or to prove you're a member for Top of the World Lounge, etc)
TIW card
ID (yep, always bring the ID, no way would I go around without the ID, so it isn't going to be possible to carry nothing)
A credit card in case the band/KTTW doesn't work or to pay for a taxi just in case you end up needing one

I saw some people wearing 4-5 bands on my trip, people who were wearing them for their small children mostly.

Why are you carrying the bands? From what I understand, they are intended to be worn, even by children (the inner lining is apparently removable for smaller wrists).

We carried ours because we found them uncomfortable.

I wear a wristwatch but no other wrist bands of any kind, so not sure how my first experience with MB's will work out. I'm the DH of our group but I don't like anything flopping about on my wrists and add in the heat of FL and I'm seeing a problem in the not to distant future. Maybe I will just stick with my KTTW cards.

Just leave the MB in the room. The KTTW card will be fine.

We’re not going until April and I’ve already been thinking about this. II'll probably end up wearing my son's Magic Band. If not, I’m probably going to have to bribe him to keep his on. I had to put his “if lost” bracelet on his ankle the last 2 trips. He had a paper wrist band at an event recently but it was adjustable so I put it midway his upper arm outside his sleeve because he kept messing with it. Hoping he likes it once he sees the Mickey head, but not holding my breath. At least my daughter is 10 and can carry her own stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter