Awesome! Just tried it and I see different times!! Does this work with choosing your experiences when at the parks? Meaning does it refresh your favorite rides and keep them at the top?
You can pin attractions to the top of your tip board and they will stay pinned to the top when you refresh. Unfortunately I cannot screenshot how pinned attractions work since it seems like you need to actually buy Genie+ to be able to do that.

You can pin attractions to the top of your tip board and they will stay pinned to the top when you refresh. Unfortunately I cannot screenshot how pinned attractions work since it seems like you need to actually buy Genie+ to be able to do that.
Great - so when we are there sounds like we can pin our favorites and refresh no problem as we have G+ for all of our days! Thanks for the info!!

I hate crowds. Hate them. And I'm telling ya July 4th weekend and especially the few days before and after were really NOT bad at all. Like...I'm a complainer by nature lol. It wasn't bad. July 3rd fireworks at MK was out of control packed of course. July 4th at Epcot? Felt like a regular busy night with fireworks. Certainly didn't feel like July 4th. Sure I'd love to be the only one in the park but considering what I was reading about crowd levels I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe that's why I'm being so positive about the whole trip. Maybe I spent so much time reading all the complaints for two years that I completely expected the worst and I got what was really a great time. Going to finish up my trip report tonight. I have a lot to say about Genie+ and random thoughts about the bathroom soap being used in the parks...see I told you, I can find anything to complain about!
I agree with all this. Not overcrowded. CMs were friendly and helpful. It was crowded, but not scary dangerous miserable dirty crowded. Just WDW crowds. We rode all the rides we wanted to, got food without waiting in line for an hour, and witnessed no fights. We paid for Genie+ and ILLS, and left by 5 or 6pm. Our resort days were great with fun pool activities even in the rain.

IMO, other than a couple rides no need to get up and book right at 7. You can start booking when you get up. You can’t make your second selection until two hours after park open, so if you can be up around park open time you won’t be far behind the curve. Unless you usually sleep until 10 instead of around 8/9 I don’t think you will have an issue for most the attractions. And even if you wait until 10 you shouldn’t have an issue with much except a handful of rides (other than being 1 LL behind since people can book their second when you’re getting your first).

When we were there for spring break the only things that sold out right away was sdd and rotr (we didn’t go to ak so not sure about there). It may have changed since then, but there was no need to be up right at 7 unless you wanted one of them, and luckily they are the same park.
To add to that: in the FP+ system with tiers you would not have been able to book both SDD and RotR ahead of time assuming both would have ended up as tier 1 attractions. You could get one of them but the other one you would have had to RD or hope that you can jump in line the last hour of the park being open. With Genie+ and ILL you reserve both if you are willing to get up at 7. We did it twice over Spring Break.

Just curious if you found that the time you selected in the app for G+ ended up being close to the time you were assigned. My daughter and I were there in March for one day and almost all of the times I selected in the app changed to times that were significantly later by the time it was confirmed. Eg. At 7am I chose 12:45 for PP for 2 people. Quickly clicked through to confirm and got 2:45. Is this still happening? I'm nervous because that happened repeatedly for a party of 2....we are going again the end of July with a party of 5. TIA!
I don't remember this happening to us at all over Spring Break. I think with SDD our time may have changed from like 10:30 to 10:50 or something like that.

We are making a late dinner reservation at Crystal Palace on a MNSSHP nite and hoping there will still be a full selection available at buffet. Has anyone noticed an issue with this when booking close to closing?

We are making a late dinner reservation at Crystal Palace on a MNSSHP nite and hoping there will still be a full selection available at buffet. Has anyone noticed an issue with this when booking close to closing?
Might be a fun way to have a meal at CP, but for us that would be a really tough way to use up expensive and valuable MNSSHP park time. ...or are you not doing MNSSHP and just booking the meal close to the 7pm park closing for regular park guets?

Dan

Might be a fun way to have a meal at CP, but for us that would be a really tough way to use up expensive and valuable MNSSHP park time. ...or are you not doing MNSSHP and just booking the meal close to the 7pm park closing for regular park guets?

Dan
Yes we are doing party but was just trying to do rides we stack via genie+ then get dinner while park empties all the day guests . last time we did MNSSHP the lines were really long until past 7 with many day guests jumping in ride lines right at park closing.

Yes we are doing party but was just trying to do rides we stack via genie+ then get dinner while park empties all the day guests . last time we did MNSSHP the lines were really long until past 7 with many day guests jumping in ride lines right at park closing.
Just remember that park closing has moved up to 6pm and party starts at 7pm. I remember when the parks closed at 7pm and it was harder to clear the day guests.

Just remember that park closing has moved up to 6pm and party starts at 7pm. I remember when the parks closed at 7pm and it was harder to clear the day guests.
I’ve been to quite a few parties with park closing at 6 and party beginning at 7 and every party was chaos in the beginning. We always take the bypass behind Main St and used to do the Hallowishes Dessert Party to avoid crowds arriving/leaving park...so decided to dinner at CP instead this year. We don’t do the characters or TOT really just go for parade, fireworks and shorter ride lines. Went to Boo Bash last year and loved it.

Just got back, magic is still there, but much more difficult to find. We refused to purchase genie plus, but still managed to get on our must dos via rope drop and late magic hours. Enchantment is ok, definitely not Happily ever after. Harmonious is better. Merchandise appears to be low in stock at mostly just Magic Kingdom. The parks are crowded, a lot of stuff is still closed, and prices are up. We had a better time at the resorts. Hoop dee doo was awesome! Glad we went on the trip, but won't be back anytime soon.

So we just got back on Monday and were there 19th June - 10th July and stayed offsite at Sheraton Vistana Villages since we’re owners there. I’d say up until around the 7th July the parks were surprisingly quiet for this time of year and we couldn’t actually believe just how quiet MK was on the 4th July compared to other years but from the 7th onwards, at DHS and MK especially, it seemed to get crazy busy with crowds all coming after the 4th this year and the South American tour groups back in full force. I actually couldn’t believe just how busy MK was on the 9th tbh when we’d been so spoiled with the lack of crowds during the rest of our trip (we did Uni/IOA and Sea World as well) but thankfully we still got a lot done that day with a combination of Genie+ and my DAS.

The weather there atm is incredibly hot and humid, as expected, and the rain seemed to be coming at around 6pm/7pm last week instead of late afternoon like it usually does.

This was our first trip back since July 2019 with being from the UK and after reading all of the “horror stories” from people on various forums and social media about how bad the parks and CMs are atm I wasn’t expecting much but we had a genuinely amazing time! Got to ride Cosmic Rewind, ROTR and Slinky Dog a couple of times for the first time and I’d say around 90% of the Disney CMs were absolutely impeccable this time around. We received a lot of unexpected “magic” from CMs which took us off guard as we obviously weren’t expecting anything like that and pretty much every CM we ran into were really genuinely friendly and talkative and were just glad to have international visitors back again from what we picked up on.

The parks were spotless as far as I could tell with custodial CMs frequently emptying bins and there was always an attendant in the toilets cleaning them every time we used them. The only mess I saw in the toilets or around the parks was clearly caused by inconsiderate guests and the only negatives we have from this trip is the lack of merch available at places like Galaxy’s Edge etc and the rude and entitled behaviour of other guests we encountered in the parks this time e.g. a lot of blatant line cutting at MK, people trying to push their way into other people’s fireworks and parade spots last minute and purposely encroaching on other people’s space to bully them out of the few places there are to sit around the parks now.

Overall though, I can’t wait to go back for our October/November trip this year and experience all of the Halloween and Christmas stuff there we’ve never had the opportunity to do before.

Just curious if you found that the time you selected in the app for G+ ended up being close to the time you were assigned. My daughter and I were there in March for one day and almost all of the times I selected in the app changed to times that were significantly later by the time it was confirmed. Eg. At 7am I chose 12:45 for PP for 2 people. Quickly clicked through to confirm and got 2:45. Is this still happening? I'm nervous because that happened repeatedly for a party of 2....we are going again the end of July with a party of 5. TIA!
Skimming through this thread and saw your post.
I'm here now and it's still happening. I thought I was getting 8:45-9:45 this morning and after the purchase was complete I got 1:20-2:20.
Good luck

July 4-7 quick review...

July 4 Very pleasantly surprised by how comfortable EP was: busy, but never terribly crowded. Arrived around 11am, left after fireworks. Got both VQ and ILL for GOTG: VQ was about a 45 min wait, ILL around 20. Standby waits: Seas 5 min, SE 10 min, Soarin 30 min - all in the afternoon. Lunch at Lotus took less than 5 mins to order and receive.

July 5 I did a late morning arrival at AK - bought G+, but wanted it for DHS in the evening, so didn't risk "burning" any bookings at AK. AK was uncomfortably crowded all over; I didn't stay long. EE standby was 5 mins for Single Rider, Dino was 20. Safari was 60 and I opted out: too hot for that kind of wait - had I arrived earlier, my wait would've been shorter, but I valued the extra sleep more!

Using G+ for DHS, I booked SDD at 7am, TOT 2 hours after park opening, RnR 2 hours later, MMRR 2 hours later, TSM 2 hours later, and later - maybe around 6pm? - grabbed ST just because I could. I also got ILL for ROTR. My return times started at 3pm, which worked perfectly for an a relaxed evening. I would not pay for G+ routinely, and I wouldn't have felt I got full value out of it if the attractions I wanted were down, but I had a lucky day, it saved me a TON of wait time, and it was worth it to me this time.

July 6 started at EP with a VQ time for GOTG and lunch, then hopped to MK. GOTG VQ was a full hour wait this time.

I tried G+ again for a MK evening and it didn't work quite as well... my main complaint with G+ is not being to select a time. It was giving me much earlier times than I wanted when I started booking at 7am, but I didn't want to risk not getting things at all by waiting, so I went ahead and took what it gave me. The result was a bunch of rides stacked up earlier than I intended and nothing left I wanted to do in the late evening when I actually wanted to be there. Starting at 7am and booking every 2 hours, I got Splash, PP, BTMRR, HM, POTC and BL. BTMM was down at my return time due to weather and I didn't really care to wait it out, so I used it for Pooh instead. G+ did save me an hour wait each on Splash and PP, and 30ish mins on everything else, so I guess the value was there... but I'd also have happily skipped half the rides and had the late evening I wanted. I wound up ditching MK, which was pretty crowded, and went to the Poly for a drink before calling it a day around 8pm.

July 7 one last VQ for GOTG before heading home! I had a little time to kill first, so I did LWTL standby - 10 min wait. VQ for GOTG only took 20 mins this time.

General views:
July 4th felt the least crowded, by a lot. Weird.
I was offsite and had no issues getting what I wanted with VQ and G+, despite being "behind" the onsiters.
A big slice of pizza and side salad at BW Pizza Window might be one of the most underrated quick meals at WDW.
I'm very risk averse, so wore a quality mask 100% of my time indoors and the majority of time outdoors, and ate all meals outdoors, well away from others... the masking was fine, but eating outside in 100* heat got old. I didn't have trouble finding shaded spots to eat, though it often meant sitting on a bench or standing instead sitting at a table.
CMs were ON! Pleasant, friendly, and helpful across the board.

I wasn't sure if I'd renew my AP in Aug., and I feel like WDW worked hard to make me feel appreciated this trip - it may well keep me coming back. :)

Last edited:
July 4-7 quick review...

July 4 Very pleasantly surprised by how comfortable EP was: busy, but never terribly crowded. Arrived around 11am, left after fireworks. Got both VQ and ILL for GOTG: VQ was about a 45 min wait, ILL around 20. Standby waits: Seas 5 min, SE 10 min, Soarin 30 min - all in the afternoon. Lunch at Lotus took less than 5 mins to order and receive.

July 5 I did a late morning arrival at AK - bought G+, but wanted it for DHS in the evening, so didn't risk "burning" any bookings at AK. AK was uncomfortably crowded all over; I didn't stay long. EE standby was 5 mins for Single Rider, Dino was 20. Safari was 60 and I opted out: too hot for that kind of wait - had I arrived earlier, my wait would've been shorter, but I valued the extra sleep more!

Using G+ for DHS, I booked SDD at 7am, TOT at 9am, RnR at 11am, MMRR at 1pm, TSM at 3pm, and later - maybe around 6pm? - grabbed ST just because I could. I also got ILL for ROTR. My return times started at 3pm, which worked perfectly for an a relaxed evening. I would not pay for G+ routinely, and I wouldn't have felt I got full value out of it if the attractions I wanted were down, but I had a lucky day, it saved me a TON of wait time, and it was worth it to me this time.

July 6 started at EP with a VQ time for GOTG and lunch, then hopped to MK. GOTG VQ was a full hour wait this time.

I tried G+ again for a MK evening and it didn't work quite as well... my main complaint with G+ is not being to select a time. It was giving me much earlier times than I wanted when I started booking at 7am, but I didn't want to risk not getting things at all by waiting, so I went ahead and took what it gave me. The result was a bunch of rides stacked up earlier than I intended and nothing left I wanted to do in the late evening when I actually wanted to be there. Starting at 7am and booking every 2 hours, I got Splash, PP, BTMRR, HM, POTC and BL. BTMM was down at my return time due to weather and I didn't really care to wait it out, so I used it for Pooh instead. G+ did save me an hour wait each on Splash and PP, and 30ish mins on everything else, so I guess the value was there... but I'd also have happily skipped half the rides and had the late evening I wanted. I wound up ditching MK, which was pretty crowded, and went to the Poly for a drink before calling it a day around 8pm.

July 7 one last VQ for GOTG before heading home! I had a little time to kill first, so I did LWTL standby - 10 min wait. VQ for GOTG only took 20 mins this time.

General views:
July 4th felt the least crowded, by a lot. Weird.
I was offsite and had no issues getting what I wanted with VQ and G+, despite being "behind" the onsiters.
A big slice of pizza and side salad at BW Pizza Window might be one of the most underrated quick meals at WDW.
I'm very risk averse, so wore a quality mask 100% of my time indoors and the majority of time outdoors, and ate all meals outdoors, well away from others... the masking was fine, but eating outside in 100* heat got old. I didn't have trouble finding shaded spots to eat, though it often meant sitting on a bench or standing instead sitting at a table.
CMs were ON! Pleasant, friendly, and helpful across the board.

I wasn't sure if I'd renew my AP in Aug., and I feel like WDW worked hard to make me feel appreciated this trip - it may well keep me coming back. :)
I think some of your times might need to be adjusted because you can’t make your second of G+ booking until either two hours after the park officially opens or after you have tapped into your first G+ whichever is earlier.

Not sure how you got the 7am, 9am, 11am thing at DHS for instance if first G+ was 3pm

Dan

I think some of your times might need to be adjusted because you can’t make your second of G+ booking until either two hours after the park officially opens or after you have tapped into your first G+ whichever is earlier.

Not sure how you got the 7am, 9am, 11am thing at DHS for instance if first G+ was 3pm

Dan
I booked my first G+ at 7am for a 3pm return. Sorry that wasn't clear!
ETA: but still, you're right - I think park opening was 8am, so they're all off by an hour.

Back from a 9 day trip (6/25- 7/4/22) where we stayed at Saratoga Springs in a 1BR villa. As I learned so much from other people's experiences, I am sharing a few insights from this trip.

First off, I used to be a pretty seasoned WDW planner but this was the first trip post COVID so I was very nervous about all the changes and my ability to adapt. Luckily my fears were unfounded and we had a wonderful trip.

My little family is me, my husband and two teen daughters. As such, we went to parks in the evening and spent morning at the resort at the pool. We planned two days at each park and three at MK (one was our arrival day so we only spent a few hours at MK that day). We did not have park hoppers. We had Genie+ for length of stay and bought ILLs at all the parks except GOTG. We were able to get the VQ both days and the Extra EMH queue so we rode three times. Great ride!

Some observations:
  1. Genie+ can work well if you are going in the evening and start reserving times in the morning. We were able to ride everything we wanted with only a little bit of planning. The park that was the hardest was EPCOT because Test Track and Frozen were gone before you could reserve a spot at 10:30. Since we had not ridden Remy we had prioritized it on the first EPCOT day. On the second EPCOT day, I just reserved Test Track and we did not ride Remy again. Genie + is definitely expensive but does save a considerable amount of wait time. Also, it is a buffer in case rides go down. If the ride is down during your ride time, you get a pass to ride it anytime for the rest of the day. We had quite a few rides down, some mechanical and some weather related so this was extremely helpful. I would have been very annoyed if I waited 60 minutes for Remy and then the line was evacuated with no recourse for riding later.
  2. If you get Extra EMH, definitely try to use at Magic Kingdom. You will be able to go on multiple rides with little wait. I would not use this time at EPCOT again. Wait times still high and with fewer rides and more walking between rides, it just didn't work for us. (We did get the extra GOTH ride though so YMMV). Also, not being able to find a place to buy water was incredibly frustrating.
  3. Busses were very good. They came often and were usually not full.
  4. Food was excellent everywhere we went but prices were high. Sit down dinners for four were usually around $200. One dinner at California Grill was much more but I would do it again. we took advantage of snack carts for things like churros and spring rolls in the afternoons and avoided counter service meals at the Parks for the most part. They seemed crowded and finding seats looked like a challenge.
  5. SSR is a great resort. We have always stayed here but with the room renovations, it is really nice. Pools were not crowded so spending mornings at the pool was a good plan. Plus, you avoided the possibility of getting the afternoon rain.
  6. Cast members were very good. I saw some rude customers but not any rude CMs. We had one CM on Star Tours who was phenomenal. Recognized my daughter;s birthday and had the whole car sing Happy Birthday to her. We got to go to the Wookie Planet which was fun too. Love that ride and usually a walk-on.
All in all, it was a great trip. Kids want to go back next year but I think that with the current prices, we will give it two years., That will give me time to earn Reward dollars on the Disney Visa (we had $2,000 for this trip which helped with the sticker shock).

Thank you to everyone whose posts I have been reading for the past six months. You helped me tremendously.

Edited to add that "fiddle faddle" really did work. Once the really good rides/times were gone we would not reserve a ride and spend five minutes or so fiddle faddling and usually get a good option within the hour.
Love this report. Much of what you did mimics our plan, so glad to know it worked out and you had a great time.

Thanks for a great comprehensive report!
  1. Genie+ can work well if you are going in the evening and start reserving times in the morning.
Could you explain this please? I thought that you didn't have an option on return times. That it will only give you the next available return time, which may be earlier than you plan to arrive at the park. So if you "start reserving times in the morning" for an afternoon / evening visit, how are you able to do this and get only evening return times?

Could you explain this please? I thought that you didn't have an option on return times. That it will only give you the next available return time, which may be earlier than you plan to arrive at the park. So if you "start reserving times in the morning" for an afternoon / evening visit, how are you able to do this and get only evening return times?
I have the same question

If you are hopping, all times chosen for your 2nd park will be after 2pm, that helps.
If you are not hopping, the headliners (SDD at HS for instance) will have late evening time in a few minutes after 7am so you book those first (not easy in MK on low crowds days).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter