I agree about the characters. We saw a lot of "drive by" characters, and it was super unmagical to hear the CMs shouting "there is no line we are not forming a line just walk by or step up and take your photo keep it moving folks" while little kids are trying to talk to their favorite characters. We saw this happen A LOT last week.

Yes, very frustrating. What happened to us twice last trip was that we saw the characters out in their spots, pulled my brother up in his wheelchair to get a picture, and just then the characters turned around and left with no warning. Could not even get a pic. Kind of disappointing.

Overall we had a very good trip. I wrote a little bit about how genie worked for us after day 1 and overall it went very well after I got used to it. I never paid attention to any of the genie suggestions. I would absolutely pay to use genie again especially with these crowds. We never waited in a ride line except for rope drop, Pooh and Mickey/minnie RR. (less than 30min). All other rides were done with genie and we got all the headliners plus some mid tier. We rode every ride at HS (some twice!) We wrote 12 rides at MK on our second day. We also take long 4 hour breaks midday. Because of the lines when we had gaps in between genie + we decided to do new things with low or no waits. This was good to force us out of our usual routine and I forgot how fun it is to experience something new at Disney.

I will say characters absolutely need to return and I hope when they do its like before because it did feel less special not getting one on one time with them. Last year we went when there were no characters and we were willing to overlook it considering the circumstances but this time it felt more empty. The kids did have a great time with the Tremaine sisters. I wish we could have had more experiences like that.

The park was clean up until end of the night when lines were ready to be swept. Resort staff was all wonderful. The buses were the best they have ever been for us. We never waited more than ten minutes for one.

The is very encouraging to hear! Can you explain your G+ process at HS to ride every ride and some twice?

Thanks, Dan

The is very encouraging to hear! Can you explain your G+ process at HS to ride every ride and some twice?

Thanks, Dan
Sure! We got there first thing. We went to our bus stop at Coronado around 6:30am. Shortly after a bus came. It was not listed in the bus times in the app. Actually 2 of the three days we were one of the very first in the park because the buses came before they would be listed.

At 7am I got a SDD for 10:30am. I didn’t buy ROTR at 7 bc I planned to rope drop. We would have done awesome. We were first in our line to tap, but it was down. So we went to smugglers. I reluctantly checked for a ILL around 7:50am after riding smugglers run. I found a rise ILL for 8:30am and it was quickly converted to an anytime pass since it was down. After smugglers we went to Toy Story mania and did stand by pretty much a walk on. Still part of the early entry. Rockin roller coaster was down. I paid attention to the app, which I usually do when a big ride is down. I try to hit it as soon as it comes online. It worked to our favor and we walked right on through standby. Then I paid attention to Rise coming back online. We rode right as it came online around 10:15 right before our SDD 10:30 genie+. Tapped in to SDD at 10:25 and booked a second genie+ for TOT beating all the 120min rule people waiting for 10:30am. Did muppets and saw chewie. We wanted to do indiana Jones but it was full even before it started.

Then we got lunch (make sure you book ahead for mobile because unlike MK we had a longer wait for our time to open up). We went back to our hotel around noon as lines were so long even for shows. Kids swam and we rested. I tried to get Mickey and Minnie genie+ but I couldn’t get one. Instead I booked another RnR for my son and I. I booked toy story mania for my husband and daughter bc they didn’t want RnR. It took about 10 min of swiping to get toy story and RNR to overlap since we were splitting up while we were resting in our hotel to get those two. Two hours passed and I booked alien saucer spin. But I didn’t mind bc it was rest/quiet time for the kids. We returned to the park around 5.

Next we split and did RnR/toy story, then TOT, walked on to standby Star Tours (it was even shorter than the lightening lane!), alien saucer, walked around Star Wars and toy story at night, watched the Mickey Mouse short, got QS dinner and waited in standby around 8:30 at night for Mickey and Minnie Runaway for 25 min. We noticed SDD was pretty short so that would be a good time to wait but my daughter wanted Mickey. If I didn’t have a tired daughter I would have gone back to SDD to ride that again right before close bc we finished Mickey with a few minutes before park close.

Edit: I also would edit my tip board priorities as the day went on to make what I was looking for first in the lists. I chose 2/3 at a time. Also, for MK it worked well to pick a ride for genie + that would have a time slot when we would return to the parks in the afternoon opening up a second line of genie+ bookings to do as we would complete the last booked one we could book another but still keep our stacked high demand ones in the evening we made using the 2 hour rule on break. These bookings we would make one after the other were tier one rides but small ones like small world, Ariel, tea cups, but all together you still save a lot of time.

Last edited:
Also, for MK it worked well to pick a ride for genie + that would have a time slot when we would return to the parks in the afternoon opening up a second line of genie+ bookings to do as we would complete the last booked one we could book another but still keep our stacked high demand ones in the evening we made using the 2 hour rule on break. These bookings we would make one after the other were tier one rides but small ones like small world, Ariel, tea cups, but all together you still save a lot of time.
Thank you. Well done. I hope we have similar success.

Can you explain this a little more? When did you use your "rolling" G+ selections, and when did you stack the G+'s for later?
"Also, for MK it worked well to pick a ride for genie + that would have a time slot when we would return to the parks in the afternoon opening up a second line of genie+ bookings to do as we would complete the last booked one we could book another but still keep our stacked high demand ones in the evening we made using the 2 hour rule on break. These bookings we would make one after the other were tier one rides but small ones like small world, Ariel, tea cups, but all together you still save a lot of time."

Dan

Thank you. Well done. I hope we have similar success.

Can you explain this a little more? When did you use your "rolling" G+ selections, and when did you stack the G+'s for later?
"Also, for MK it worked well to pick a ride for genie + that would have a time slot when we would return to the parks in the afternoon opening up a second line of genie+ bookings to do as we would complete the last booked one we could book another but still keep our stacked high demand ones in the evening we made using the 2 hour rule on break. These bookings we would make one after the other were tier one rides but small ones like small world, Ariel, tea cups, but all together you still save a lot of time."

Dan
The rules for genie+ are that you can make a booking every 2 hours or after you tapped into your most recently booked ride. So we would book something like this:

7am book splash for 10:30am
10:25am tap into splash and book peter Pan for 4-5pm
12:25pm book space for 5-6pm
take our break
2:25 book a Btmr for 6:30-7:30
4:25 pm (we’re on our way back to the park) book small world for 5-6pm
4:55pm ride small world (this allows me to skip the two hour rule and move to the rule of booking my most recently made ride tap in allows me to start booking another genie+ asap)
4:55pm book Ariel for 6-7pm
5:05pm we are on Peter Pan
Ride space
Ride btmr
Ride Ariel (now I can book another genie +)

So you can keep all of your stacked rides and then when I used small world I can start booking more as soon as I tap into the ride I just booked. It’s kind of confusing but I hope that helps. Remember you can overlap times as long as you can manage it. You can tap in 5 min before and up to 15min after your booked time slot.

The rules for genie+ are that you can make a booking every 2 hours or after you tapped into your most recently booked ride. So we would book something like this:

take our break
4:55pm ride small world (this allows me to skip the two hour rule and move to the rule of booking my most recently made ride tap in allows me to start booking another genie+ asap)
Ride space
Ride btmr

So you can keep all of your stacked rides and then when I used small world I can start booking more as soon as I tap into the ride I just booked. It’s kind of confusing but I hope that helps. Remember you can overlap times as long as you can manage it. You can tap in 5 min before and up to 15min after your booked time slot.
Perfect. Thank you. That explains clearly what you did. I was wondering if you used G+ for morning attractions and it look like it was just the one, Splash. Your strategy makes for a really nice evening though!!

Dan

take our break
Ride space
Ride btmr

Just when I thought I understand Genie+… I’m confused again! I thought once you activated the two hour rule there was no way of getting out of that loop?

Just when I thought I understand Genie+… I’m confused again! I thought once you activated the two hour rule there was no way of getting out of that loop?
You can book one at a time, and can either make another selection after two hours or once you tap into your previous Genie+ selection (both tapstiles for attractions that have two touchpoints), whichever comes first. Also, you can tap in to your G+ 5 min early.

You can get out of it by checking into your most recently booked ride. So if you book something that’s open soon after booking then that let’s you out. That’s why bc of the rolling time slot openings it will probably be a ride in low demand. For example I looked at the app just now. It’s 1pm and there’s a 1pm philarmagic. If you are able to book genie+ now, then booking philarmagic when tapping in will get you out of the 2 hour loop.

Hey all, I wrote some of this during the trip and some when I got back. Sorry for any mistakes in advance, I dictated some of it and boy did my words come out wrong sometimes. I looked for trip reports and may have just missed them. Mods, feel free to move it if needed.

Saturday March 26

I traveled with my husband and daughter (9).

We stayed at the Gaylord Palms in Kissimmee. It's a huge hotel with multiple water slides and pools. I would've preferred to stay on property but we were tagging along for my husband's conference and it was located here. Our rooms was just okay, it had multiple things left around that makes me think it wasn't cleaned properly. We don't spent a lot of time in the room so we cleaned up some of the grosser things and went about our week.

Animal Kingdom - Sunday, March 27

We Ubered to the park today because we missed the shuttle due to sleeping in. The time change from West Coast hit us a little bit. The drive was quick and there were no lines to get in at about 11:00.

This park is incredible, I had no idea what to expect here. To me it was like the most incredible zoo I've ever been to. We rode Flight of Passage, Na'vi River Journey, Dinosaur, The Safari and watched It's Tough to be a Bug, saw all of the animals and then the rest of my group road Flight of Passage again. We ate at Rainforest Cafe, it was just okay food as usual, my husband and I ate at the one years ago in Downtown Disney in California. My 9-year-old daughter loved the theming and enjoyed her pizza.

Magic Kingdom - Monday, March 28th

We caught the complimentary shuttle from the hotel today to the park. I was very surprised that you're not dropped off at the park. Obviously I missed out on some research when I was looking at transportation. We left our hotel at 10:15 a.m. and got to the park gate at 11:15 a.m. The bus did a drop off at Disney Springs prior to taking us to Magic Kingdom. I was also surprised to learn you have to take a monorail or a ferry to the park once you got dropped off at the parking lot, definitely my fault for not researching well. Very dramatic and fun to ride the ferry and see that Castle getting bigger as you go to it.

Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion is better than Disneyland in my opinion. Jungle Cruise and Peter Pan are also better at Magic Kingdom. Again this is just my opinion. Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland definitely trumps the one at Magic Kingdom. We loved Seven Dwarfs Mine Train so much that my husband and daughter went on a second time at the end of the night. Country Bear Jamboree was so much fun, I saw that show when I was nine and I don't know if that is the same show. The one I saw was in Disneyland possibly were Hungry Bear is now?

We ate at Cinderella's Royal Table and oh my gosh it was worth every penny. We were sat at a window table so we had a view of fantasyland. My daughter and I each had the tenderloin both were incredible. I did not have high hopes for the food here and was only going for the experience. We will definitely do that again. I would have loved to have tried some flights of wine but it was just too darn hot outside to drink.

We ate at Plaza Inn for dinner and it was nothing special. They were really far behind so we waited long after our reservation time. The food was just mediocre and I didn't get part of my meal. Waitress was really nice and took the missing food off the bill of course.

We closed the park down this night and had such a great time. We rode Seven Dwarfs Mine Train twice, the Barnstormer twice, Peter Pan, Ariel, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates twice, watched Country Bear Jamboree, rode the carousel, and Winnie the Pooh.

Hollywood Studios - Tuesday, March 29th

We swam in the morning so we got to Hollywood Studios at 1:15. We did Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, Slinky Dog Dash, Toy Story Midway Mania and watched Frozen. We were gone by 4 after some shopping. I don't love this park. It could have been that it was scorching hot and we encountered our first, and only, unfriendly people of the trip but it had a weird vibe there.

After leaving early we went back to our hotel, met up with my husband and then headed over to Disney Springs. We ate an incredible meal at the Boathouse and will definitely be eating here again. I get stuck on restaurants but I really like and this could be one the next time we come back. Although there were so many restaurants that I did want to try perhaps we won't. I got a steak and shared it with my daughter. We ordered mac and cheese on the side and it was really good., She also had the 50th cupcake and declared it the best one of the trip. My husband had a few oysters and the mini shrimp boil. He loved both. Our waitress was excellent! We had so many great waiters and waitresses on this trip. We didn't encounter any unfriendly cast members either.

Magic Kingdom - Wednesday, March 30th

We went back to Magic Kingdom today. It was very hot but we were able to go on a ton of rides. This park and Animal Kingdom to me have the most shade. We ate at Steakhouse 71 for dinner and it was excellent. The only issue is they were running really far behind on reservations. We continued to run into this, one thing I noticed while we waited for tables We had reservations for was the amount of people who came and said sorry for being late, one lady said sorry for being an hour late to her reservation. It really sets things back for the people who can consistently show up on time. We all three had the New York strip, I had a bowl of french onion soup, some of the best I ever had, before dinner. My daughter had french fries as her side. I also had Mac and cheese. My husband had the au gratin potatoes and I really wish I would have gotten those instead.

After dinner we could only do Haunted Mansion and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train again, we had to skip our Jungle Cruise plan because we ended up getting off of Haunted Mansion at 10:59 and the park closed at 11. I opted out of Seven Dwarfs maintain as I had had a few glasses of wine with my dinner.

It was our last day at Magic Kingdom so we walked out real slow right at closing and just took it all in. I don't want to sound like I'm hating on DLR but man the castle here is so much more majestic. Disneyland will always be my first love but wow Disney World is putting that to the test.

Epcot - Thursday, March 31st

Epcot is my new favorite park here. We loved Ratatouille and Frozen. We ate croissants, and eclairs, and a ham and cheese sandwich, had a mint infused tea in Morocco that was extremely refreshing. My husband tried a few beers and had a margarita. We ate lunch at La Cantina de San Angel and it was awful. We had the nachos and the chips were so stale, it was not white nacho cheese but instead was just run of the mill orange cheese that had no flavor. We also had fresh caramel popcorn and a caramel apple from the Werther's store.

We had dinner at Via Napoli and it was excellent. We ordered the 20 inch pizza and it was so big was falling off the pan. Really good flavor. I had the caprese salad and my husband had the calamari we both had glasses of wine and they were excellent.

We walked around and around here just exploring the countries. Didn't do a ton of rides, Frozen x 3 because my daughter was obsessed, Ratatouille, Living with the Land, Soarin, the Three Caballeros, Test Track, and I think that's it. I told my daughter this was my day and I wanted to wander.n

Hollywood Studios - Friday, April 1st

Today'says trip to Hollywood Studios was much better. I may have been quick to judge this park before. Even though it was very hot and humid we got a ton done and had a great day. We did Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway twice, Tower of Terror twice, Slinky Dog Dash, Toy Story Midway Mania twice, watched Beauty and the Beast, watched the Frozen show, and my husband did Rock and Roller coaster.

We ate at Hollywood Brown Derby for dinner. I got the Cobb salad it was as good as I hoped, my daughter got the kids filet and she said it was the best steak she's ever had, we ordered it rare and it actually came rare. You could cut it with a fork. My husband got the scallops and shrimp and the sherry cream sauce was incredible. I would definitely get that next time. The rolls were so good we used the leftovers to eat the sauce from my husband's dish.

Day of our flight home - Saturday, April 2nd

This is our last day and we are spending it at the water park at the hotel before our flight. I think I count six water slides, a lazy river, a nice long deep pool, and then a shallower pool with basketball hoops and fun things for kids. They also have one of those Flo Riser things that you can surf on for an additional fee. We paid for late check out and it was totally worth it to be able to shower and get ready before our long flight home.

Recap

We're home now and freezing of course. It was 40 degrees last night when we got off the plane in Seattle. I am already planning a trip back but with staying on property. I want more days so that we can rest between, six straight days was tough for me. Without these boards I never would have been able to do halfnod the things we did.

My favorite park is definitely Epcot followed by Animal Kingdom. Of course the two parks I only reserved for one day each. I don't think there would be a time where we park hopped, the distance between parks was no joke. People talk about it here but coming from DLR and being able to just walk quickly back and forth, it was something I needed to see to believe.

I loved how much room there was in each park. It didn't feel as crowded to me because there is was room to walk around people.

One question, where are the churros and churro toffee? I was so bummed that there aren't the long, fresh churros like we have in DLR in every land. Also churro toffee is my very favorite treat so I missed that.

We had such a great time and fell in love with Disney World. Also Florida in general. What a beautiful area, next time we'll go out exploring more and hit up a beach for a day. We can't wait to go back!

Thank you so much for sharing. We've stayed at gaylord palms before and it's a HUGE hotel. My kids loved the water park and the pools but it's absurdly large. We never used the hotel shuttle when we were there, we had our car but unless you stay at a disney resort, no shuttle bus will ever take you right to MK. They all stop at TTC where you can take the boat, the monorail or bus from there to MK.

For trips longer than 6 days at Disney, we usually do a break/resort day, either we do disney springs or just swim and relax. WDW is a lot of walking and it is tiring. I usually try to work into the back end of the trip when we really need it.

If you loved Epcot, you'll probably even love it more when all the construction is complete. It's in better shape than just a year ago but it's definitely evolving.

As someone who has grown up in FL and has always been to WDW, it's always interesting to hear someone who's only been to DLR view point of WDW. Even if you could find churros at WDW, they're not good. Never been to DLR but have heard that the churros in DLR are actually really good.

@TheSouthernBelle - we found two churros and neither were good. The ones in DL are incredible. Crisp on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside and so fresh.

@dez1978 - it was so odd, it didn't feel super busy to us due to how large the parks are. We popped into shows or shops when the crowds got crazy.

Recently got back from a stay at Pop Century (3/22-26). The resort was great—I was so happy they have the same menu as ASMo—am I the only one who LOVES the food court lunches and dinners?? I feel like they’re a well-kept secret!

Just one park day this time—Hollywood Studios on 3/25. Despite the fact that it was a sold-out day, I didn’t do Genie+ or any ILLs. Rope-dropped RoTR, did single rider for MFSR a couple times, and waited in line for Star Tours (is it just me, or is the actual Star Tours ride shorter now?). It worked out great! I thought the Galaxy’s Edge CMs were on top of their game—good service, great acting, they seemed happy! The bartenders at Oga’s always crack me up with their Star Wars jokes!

Used the Datapad for the first time and it was so much fun, my new ambition is to go back and wait in line for MFSR! :)

Hi All! Just got back from a 6 night stay (3/28-4/2) and have to say it was sooo much better than I thought it was going to be! We are annual spring break WDW peeps. Our 2020 trip was just 5 days out when the parks got shut down and this was our first time back. I was prepared to completely hate the Genie+, but honestly once I figured out a rhythm, I had decent success with it. We had 6 day passes with park hopper and I ended up adding the Genie+ for all of our days. I know that many on here say you only need it for MK and HS, but if you have park hopper too, I highly recommend adding it for AK and Epcot days because you can use it to stack for the other parks in the evening. For example, on our AK day we used Genie+ for a 9-10am safari, followed by the 11am Festival of the Lion King show. Everything else that we wanted to do at AK wasn’t a huge standby wait so at 11:30 I started stacking for our 2pm hop to HS. At 11:30 I was able to get a 2:40-3:40 for MFSR, then at 1:30 I was able to pull a 3:05-4:05 for MMRR, and then get TSM at 4:10-5:10 and then Alien Swirling Saucers for 4:30-5:30. We headed out after that to Epcot for dinner and I was able to snag a 7:10-8:10 for Soarin’ as well.

Similar situation for us on our first day where we started out at Epcot. I logged on at 7am and purchased an ILL for Remy (1:30-2:30) and reserved a LL for TT (9:30-10:30am). After tapping in for TT, I grabbed a LL for Soarin’ (10:05-11:05). After riding TT, we walked on to MS (only a 5 minute posted wait), then over to Nemo (my 5 year old loves it) which was a 15 minute posted wait, then to our LL for Soarin’. We tapped in there and I was able to get a LL for Frozen (1:05-2:05). After riding Soarin’, we went to Figment which was 20 minute wait. We would’ve done Spaceship Earth too but it was down, so after Figment we headed over to Mexico for lunch. After lunch we used our Frozen LL and then our Remy ILL. We tapped in for Frozen at 1pm and I then made our first Genie+ LL for MK where we were headed for dinner that evening. At 1pm I was able to snag an 8:10-9:10 Peter Pan. We went back to our hotel for a bit after Remy and at 3pm I was able to get an 8:35-9:35 Small World, and then at 5pm I added a 9:05 Ariel ride. We also walked on to the carousel during fireworks. I could’ve kept going but we didn’t plan to stay any later that evening and we were back at MK anyway the next morning.

Needless to say, I do miss the old FP+ system but it’s not totally hopeless with the Genie+ either. The most annoying part was for me, the trip planner, having to be up at 6:45 each day to gear up for the 7am rush for the hot LL’s. But I was able to get everything I wanted with a little refreshing effort here and there. It was hard to let go of my extensive planning and kind of fly by the seat of my pants, but I definitely spent less time on my phone. In the past I would be refreshing constantly to try and find something better than what I had or a better time for my existing FP+. With Genie+, you can only go one at a time and once each one is booked, it’s time to relax and just enjoy the moment (until it’s time to snag the next one!) Good luck to all on your upcoming trips! And make sure to get a good coffee each morning 😉😘

Last edited:
Here now and hope to do a full report upon our return but wanted to just say that I read a lot of reports about magic being gone (mostly on Facebook) that made me very anxious before coming. I'm here tagging along on my husband's conference and then we have a family trip in May and I honestly was a little afraid that we'd have such an unmagical time that we might cancel May. Halfway through our trip and that's definitely NOT the case! The parks are clean, the cast members are friendly, other guests are courteous for the most part and magic is here. There are Photopass photographers readily available in all three parks we've been to so far. The food has been delicious and mobile order works great. Yes the parks are crowded and genie+ isn't great especially in HS but necessary to at least skip a few lines. Yesterday missed my 10 am window due to being in Muppets which set me 15 minutes behind so wasn't able to snag tower or RNRC. Lesson learned. Being offsite I was able to grab Rise though after refreshing a bunch. Totally worth it! So for those with upcoming trips, be assured it is possible to have a magical trip!

I'm just back home after a week long trip and it was our best ever at Disney!

Magic Kingdom: We did 2 full days and 1 half day and we rode and saw EVERYTHING. 7DMT 4x, Splash, Space, and BTMRR twice each. We used Genie+, stayed for the full EEH and never rope dropped. We ate at CRT, BoG, Skipper Canteen and Tony's and did a Enchanted Dessert package - it was awesome

Epcot: We stayed at Beach Club so we had quite a few partial days and one full Epcot day. We rode everything multiple times and watched Harmonious twice (one with a fireworks package) and everything was wonderful. We even got caught in a hug rainstorm and took shelter in Spaceship Earth! Space 220 Lounge was incredible. Garden Grill was one of the best dining experiences.

Hollywood Studios: We did one RD morning and one evening of LL stacking. We rode everything, most rides twice! Ate at HBD and Oga's after park close

Animal Kingdom: Did one afternoon (after lunch at Sanaa) and rode FoP twice and everything else once. Kite Tails was cancelled due to wind.

I did buy 7DMT three times because my DD just loves it so much. I bought FoP once and RotR twice. We added G+ to our package and used it every day and found it to be very useful. We waited twice in 45 minute lines but those were the only long waits we had.

Epcot: We stayed at Beach Club so we had quite a few partial days and one full Epcot day. We rode everything multiple times and watched Harmonious twice (one with a fireworks package) and everything was wonderful. We even got caught in a hug rainstorm and took shelter in Spaceship Earth! Space 220 Lounge was incredible. Garden Grill was one of the best dining experiences.

How was Harmonious with the package vs. without? I'm debating booking Rose and Crown, but don't know if the view would be worth it. However, don't know how much I want to deal with trying to stake out a good spot otherwise.

How was Harmonious with the package vs. without? I'm debating booking Rose and Crown, but don't know if the view would be worth it. However, don't know how much I want to deal with trying to stake out a good spot otherwise.
We watched Harmonious for the first time from the Spice Road package. We really enjoyed the show and didn’t feel like we missed anything. When we saw some of the show from more of a head on view another day, it did seem like we missed a little of the projections being direct, but I don’t feel like it was that big of a deal. Having a relaxing seat and enjoying the show from the table far outweighed anything we might not have seen perfectly, if that makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter