So is it possible that the only people that will make it busy this weekend are travel agents and bloggers? 🤣 🤣 🤣

Seriously, my FB and Twitter feeds are all Disney Travel Agents and bloggers... are any real people going to Disney?? I still feel like any hope I have for low crowds by mid-October are unfounded though... I mean resort bookings looked strong, right? The people have to be coming...

Eh, maybe I'll just continue to hold on to hope that the low crowds will continue through October once we're past next week...
Haha, I think I'm a real person? Lol. But really, the funny thing is the parks actually feel relatively crowded. I mean, not holiday crowds, but the parks are far from empty, the wait times are just very low.

In other news, just overheard a lady rename Triceratops Spin, "Dumbo Dinosaur". I think I'm gonna call it that from now on.

Haha, I think I'm a real person? Lol. But really, the funny thing is the parks actually feel relatively crowded. I mean, not holiday crowds, but the parks are far from empty, the wait times are just very low.

In other news, just overheard a lady rename Triceratops Spin, "Dumbo Dinosaur". I think I'm gonna call it that from now on.
I've always called it Dumbosaurus. The kids even say it now HAHA!

how far in advance did you have to book your AP preview? I bought my AP the first day we were there, Thursday. On Monday, standing out front of Remy, I was hoping to hear them say something about an AP preview. But only heard them say something about reservations. I tried to do a quick search on google but couldn’t find anything.

APs were invited in early August to sign up for dates in sept. Wasn't open access.

So is it possible that the only people that will make it busy this weekend are travel agents and bloggers? 🤣 🤣 🤣

Seriously, my FB and Twitter feeds are all Disney Travel Agents and bloggers... are any real people going to Disney?? I still feel like any hope I have for low crowds by mid-October are unfounded though... I mean resort bookings looked strong, right? The people have to be coming...

Eh, maybe I'll just continue to hold on to hope that the low crowds will continue through October once we're past next week...
I’ve seen/heard more CMs than ever, I sincerely wonder what the attendance levels would be without them. Guess they’re trying to enjoy the parks before being blocked? I’ve heard CMs in lines every day the last 4 days.

And if you threw a pair of Mickey Ears anywhere in Epcot the last two days you’d hit at least 3 mid-level managers as they travel in packs…

Had a day to decompress from our 4 day visit starting the 24th. Since I posted some info while I was there, I will just include some observations and highlights for those couple of days.
  • CM's for the most part were pretty awesome. We ran into a couple that didn't have that magic, but almost all others were great. We got sprinkled with some pixie dust a couple of times. One time a bunch of us got in line to grab a pretzel and churro. My wife sat down on a planter next to the cart on the other side where we were waiting. One of the CM's reached over to her and asked if she wanted a free churro. She gave us all a big smile while the rest of us just laughed. We had several other similar instances where members in our party were given free food or drinks.
  • Speaking of awesome CM's, the ferry from the transportation center to MK is now our preferred method. This is the first time we took the ferry in all of our trips to WDW. The CM's were so nice and hilarious. Love that you have space on the ferry and not shoved in shoulder to shoulder like on the monorail.
  • If you are worried about being crammed together, the monorail is definitely not the way to go. On our first MK night, we took the monorail back to the transportation center. They were literally packing the monorail until the doors could barely shut. They kept telling people to move together so they could fit one or two more people in each section.
  • The construction walls in Future World at Epcot are a pain in the butt to get around. It started to become frustrating to get one side of future world to the other. After a while we all just said forget Future World and stay in World Showcase.
  • Kept waiting for those big fireworks display pieces in the World Showcase lagoon to transform. Reminded me of things right out of a Transformers movie. They are an eyesore.
  • We didnt mind the plexiglass dividers in rides. We liked that there was no more people/kids using the chains as a swing and knocking into you.
  • Mobile ordering is awesome! Loved the convenience of it. I was in line at World Showcase for fish n chips. The line was crawling. Pulled out my phone, placed an order, got out of line and walked right up to grab my food!
  • MMRR is such a cool ride. The Imagineering around that ride is so cool. Had to ride it several times to catch all the changing details.
  • I did not think you could pack that many people into the hub at MK. We walked out to the hub around 7:30pm on Saturday night and just went "whoa". That was crazy. We ended up sitting in the little roped off area on the side of Crystal Palace. At least there was room to breath there.
  • MK needs more vending carts out. The lack of vending carts out lead to long lines at the ones that were open and at the QS restaurants. At times I just skipped grabbing a snack or eating because didn't want to wait in the long lines to just grab a pretzel.
  • As far as masks go, it really felt like it depended on what ride you were on and which cast member was working as far as enforcement goes. The first 3 times we went on Splash, cast members were not enforcing any masks in line or when you got in the log. The last time we rode it, the CM's were making sure everyone had their mask on before sending out the log. It felt like Space had the least amount of enforcement. As soon as people got past the CM at the entrance to the building, masks were coming off. Then when you got past the CM telling you to go left or right, masks right back off. Pirates the same. People would not other with masks until you got to the CM who directed you to the queue on the current side or to go over to the other side. Other than that, mask compliance was overall good. Outside I would say maybe 20% of people wearing masks.
We had an absolute blast on our trip. Crowds were low for the most part. Friday night and Saturday at MK were pretty crowded. But all other times the crowds seemed low. Two of my daughter's friends that came with us had never been before. By the time we left, the husband was decked out in Disney gear from head to toe. He loved it and was already trying figure out when they could come back.

We did have an hiccup on the way home with one of the worst flight experiences I have ever had. The airport in Houston was temporarily closed because of weather. After circling for about 20 minutes we had to divert to Austin to fuel up and then head back to Houston. We were told it was going to be a 30-45 minute process. Turned into 3 hours sitting on the tarmac in Austin. Only one fuel truck for multiple planes all doing the same thing. People asking to get off the plane in Austin because it was their destination. So they had to go find portable stairs and there was only one set in all of that part of the airport. We were stuck so long on the plane that more than half the plane pretty much ditched their masks and were walking around the plane. Almost had multiple arguments break out between passengers and the flight attendants. It was brutal.

I’ve seen/heard more CMs than ever, I sincerely wonder what the attendance levels would be without them. Guess they’re trying to enjoy the parks before being blocked? I’ve heard CMs in lines every day the last 4 days.

And if you threw a pair of Mickey Ears anywhere in Epcot the last two days you’d hit at least 3 mid-level managers as they travel in packs…

We also saw/heard a bunch of CM's while we were there. Lot's talking about their schedule or lack of scheduling.

I’d go all fan girl over Bob Iger.
It's funny - there was a small pack of folks tailing the group - trying to get pictures. I was heading the other direction, and I think we all did double-takes (as CMs were trying to keep us out of the way).

I think there was a pow-wow of some kind under the gazebo near Disney Traders.

I was thinking to myself - that's probably the closest I'll ever get to seeing Walt in the parks. :D

Some last updates from last week. First, I'd super agree with this
couple of days.
  • CM's for the most part were pretty awesome. We ran into a couple that didn't have that magic, but almost all others were great. We got sprinkled with some pixie dust a couple of times.
  • The construction walls in Future World at Epcot are a pain in the butt to get around. It started to become frustrating to get one side of future world to the other. After a while we all just said forget Future World and stay in World Showcase.

My own experience with mobile ordering was that it was fine but felt a little obnoxious as an added step (there were times where I just wanted something like a quick dessert (I'm thinking a pop-tart from Woody's) and I couldn't get in because the windows were 20 minutes away. Everything was empty in TSL and I didn't want to wait for 20 min when I wanted to go see WWoA. Anyway - minor inconvenience truly.

9/24 - Given the day before and my plan to (a) go to DAK, which I knew was a lot more space to cover and somewhat hilly and (b) go to MK for Boo Bash, I knew I needed an ECV. I also was trying to buy 2 tickets for friends to join me at Boo Bash. Initially got a ride share to AK and they told me (after picking me up, despite my submitted destination of DAK) that they wouldn’t be able to get me there. They took me back and I got on a bus and was the first person at DAK (I speed-walked but was glad to see it was just me). Once it was time to get in (about 7:45), got the tickets and then the ECV. Went to FoP and was there pretty early (though the other people at RD got there first since I had those two - relatively short - stops). FoP was cool. Not sure I’ll pay if/when it’s a IA$. Did EE a few times in a row (didn’t bother with Single Rider because the wait was so short). Had breakfast at RFC to make use of Landry’s Select Club Rewards (breakfast was disappointing - wish I hadn’t done it). Had a later ADR for Yak & Yeti (also because of Rewards as I had my welcome and birthday to use) - it made sense originally as a meal to tide me over so I could do MK/Boo Bash commando-style. But I was getting exhausted and couldn’t hold up at AK. Left around 2; went back to AKL and napped. Met up with friends and we made it to MK around 7. Boo Bash was okay - really glad to see HEA.

9/25 - My SW flights were changed a lot (by them, and me). Eventually left on a 7p flight (wanted some extra time since I didn’t come in on Tuesday like I planned). Enjoyed a great breakfast at Boma (couldn’t get an ADR - did walk-up). Briefly lost my phone (set it down on the bench waiting for a bus to Disney Springs - realized it about 2 minutes after bus departed). Made it to DS - honestly, it wasn’t really worth it. The merchandise is so limited across WDW; I hate the lack of unique things in places (and while I heard people talk about it - it was disappointingly true). There were some unique things in places but so much of it was homogenized and found in every park/resort shop I tried. Went back to AKL and planned to do the pool but was feeling tired and unsure of whether I wanted to do that sort of thing with Covid/no masks. For what it’s worth, I wore my mask outside 90-95% of the time (there were brief moments where the heat/humidity bothered me and I would lower it). I tried some social distancing - it wasn’t great but I was willing to lose out on prime spots, etc to try to keep some space (I feel moderately concerned about covid still mostly as I have two kids unable to be vaccinated). DME back to MCO was fine. Did a rapid test at MCO to get a prelim view and then a follow-up this week back home (given kiddos who share two homes and an upcoming event where we wouldn’t have wanted them to spread anything).

I got a lot done, even with not being at the parks open-close. OTOH, I traveled by myself for the most part and so meals, etc go a lot faster. It was a good trip and I learned a ton for my upcoming trip as a single parent with two young-ish kids (9 and 5); and thank god. If I had brought them on this trip as originally planned, it could’ve been a bust. I was sad to miss out on some of the 50th stuff that I hoped might be soft launched (but totally get why it wasn’t and I didn’t feel entitled to any of it). And, I think that my next trip will totally suffice as the last for a while.

One thing that really bothered me, and seems so trivial (but also telling, given a lot of feedback about Disney’s reputation, etc these days), that I thought I’d share. Upon arrival, DME had a couple of stops before AKL. We left one place (near the firehouse, I forget which now) and on the corner was an advertisement for DVC - it’s a large sculpture/billboard with Goofy driving and some other characters in the back - maybe you’ve seen it. It looks terrible. Like, godawful. Things of that quality would not have been allowed to be in plays/musicals performed in my HS. And I just thought - if you’re willing to let something like that go for so long without touch-ups or anything, it just sort of speaks to a resignation/giving up. And it’s super not important; but I also felt like I saw that sort of thing lots of places. The way Primieval Whirl is partially blocked off but you can see part of it (and it looks terrible). The tarp over RnRC. The walls all around Epcot. I trust that good things are coming; but, not having been to WDW in 6 years, it really felt run down (not far from how the local amusement park, Holiday World, feels). And I get all of the reasons behind it. It’s fine - and it’s telling. (This is the billboard, at least in its original state: https://www.disboards.com/threads/any-news-on-that-billboard.1149925/)

PART 2

Just a little background on us, we are Disney fans and have been coming since 1989…. We also got married at Disney and had our wedding reception at Fulton’s (now called Paddlefish).

Now onto more of our experiences / observations / opinions

Don’t come with the idea you can socially distance in the parks, it’s impossible. If you do find a spot expect others to join that area shortly after you and with the crowds expected for the 50th it’s just not going to happen.

we wore our masks outside as much as the heat allowed us to. We saw others masked up outside but we were the few not the majority. We are fully vaccinated but at this point, with how many people are around and come in contact with, we would be very surprised if we don’t end up with Covid. I anticipate the risk will be even greater come later this week. We are due to leave on Oct 1st, we do not plan on being in any parks on Thursday or Friday.

we do rent a car every time we come and I am very thankful to have a “safe” place for a little bit of my park time :)

To get a little distance from people, we have booked Horse Back riding for Thursday…. Which we are very excited about.

I will post more about our trip and observations later in PART 3

I’m sorry but who comes to the parks expecting social distancing now?

Depending on where you live, some places people are still social distancing. It is still very much a part of life where I live. Even when not marked, people naturally do it out of respect for one another.

It may not be required at Disney but if it’s the way you’ve lived for 20 months, it’s hard to turn off and people may naturally try to create that space, hoping it will happen. Not expected but longed for, even in a small way.

My own experience with mobile ordering was that it was fine but felt a little obnoxious as an added step (there were times where I just wanted something like a quick dessert (I'm thinking a pop-tart from Woody's) and I couldn't get in because the windows were 20 minutes away. Everything was empty in TSL and I didn't want to wait for 20 min when I wanted to go see WWoA. Anyway - minor inconvenience truly.

Tip on this. If you go into the app to do a mobile order and the first window of time is a little bit out, say 20 minutes or so, cancel that order. Go back to start a new order and usually the new time windows will have the "now" time frame option. We discovered this out the first day. The first day we saw windows of time that were a little bit out, but no one was there. The next day we discovered this "hack" by accident.

But in places like Woody's, they did have walk up lines for people who didn't mobile order. My son got a pop tart from Woody's one night. He did the mobile order. But we saw people going to the walk up line and ordering as well.

But in places like Woody's, they did have walk up lines for people who didn't mobile order. My son got a pop tart from Woody's one night. He did the mobile order. But we saw people going to the walk up line and ordering as well.
This is one thing we found confusing. It wasn't always immediately clear which locations were allowing walk ups. We ended up assuming no one was, and stuck to mobile order. We didn't want to walk across the park, thinking we would be able to walkup, and get told we had to mobile order for some future time.

However, then there were places like the Ice Cream Parlor in MK that wasn't doing mobile order at all, so we thought it was closed, but then realized it was walk-up only.

Also, unless I missed it, it would have been nice to charge mobile orders to the room. I didn't like having to put multiple charges on our credit card every time we wanted something to eat or drink. Consolidating it on the hotel bill would have been nice.

I came from an area there is still some social distancing and many people mask. It’s one thing to say “no social distancing” but it was another to experience fill in every seat, people 2 inches from your backside in lines, people touching you from multiple sides in crowd choke points, people once again slamming their strollers into your legs like battering rams, etc. Even though I didn’t expect social distancing because I read here, I still wasn’t quite ready for the full return to no distancing.

And no social distancing with no masks might be too far for me right now, but until experienced the crowds again I just didn’t fully realize it. I’ll be having a serious discussion with the rest of my family about our day planned at UOR for our Nov WDW trip. Might just turn it into a relax resort day. (Of course Disney could drop all masks as well by then you never know.)

Tip on this. If you go into the app to do a mobile order and the first window of time is a little bit out, say 20 minutes or so, cancel that order. Go back to start a new order and usually the new time windows will have the "now" time frame option. We discovered this out the first day. The first day we saw windows of time that were a little bit out, but no one was there. The next day we discovered this "hack" by accident.

The only place we found we had to mobile order was Columbia Harbor house. ABC Commissary, Aloha Isle, and various place throughout the parks had lines for non mobile ordering. I think Gastons didn’t have mobile ordering when we went either (and that was for a water/soda stop)

I came from an area there is still some social distancing and many people mask. It’s one thing to say “no social distancing” but it was another to experience fill in every seat, people 2 inches from your backside in lines, people touching you from multiple sides in crowd choke points, people once again slamming their strollers into your legs like battering rams, etc. Even though I didn’t expect social distancing because I read here, I still wasn’t quite ready for the full return to no distancing.

And no social distancing with no masks might be too far for me right now, but until experienced the crowds again I just didn’t fully realize it. I’ll be having a serious discussion with the rest of my family about our day planned at UOR for our Nov WDW trip. Might just turn it into a relax resort day.
UOR also does “recommended” masks. Really in UOR the only places I saw people wearing masks was going into restaurants and stores (much like many of those places elsewhere still require). I wore mine inside (including HHN houses) unless I was eating, and outside I did wear it unless I was relaxing in an area with little to no humans (PS Central Park is great for this-little to no humans, can get some great pictures and take a breather) or I was taking a photo-and even then it wouldn’t come off until right before. I will say I was pleasantly surprised to see quite a number of people wearing masks as I thought I would be the only one for sure.
Disney I did feel a lot safer, but I will say TMs and CMs alike really do try and keep it as safe as possible. And many of the outdoor staff do wear masks. Ultimately it is your decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter