• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So are people finding that if they get there at rope drop they're getting on a decent amount of rides? We have a 2-day, 1 park/day quickie trip coming up and I'd like to set expectations for our small group if I can.
We're on day 4. And as hard as it is to get everyone up and around, I'm still convinced rope drop is the way to go. Both for crowds and heat.

Our first day at MK was great for rides, knocked out several by 10 am--SDMT, Space, Haunted Mansion, Pirates.

EPCOT was meh for rope drop, but it could be us. We practically walked onto TT, but had back luck after that. Just an off day for us.

At DHS, everyone goes to SDD. If that's a must-do on your trip, better plan to rope drop it. Crowds just don't go down for it. And then same for FOP at AK. We did it, KS and then Everest in a couple of hours.

Re: scooters loading on buses:

What I observed is this...

When a bus pulled up, if someone was on a scooter and they were near the front of the line, the bus loader/monitor person would count the # of people in front of them and then have the person on the scooter get out of line and sit to the side. The scooter would be loaded first, then able bodied passengers afterwards.

So essentially the person on the scooter had to wait in the queue with everybody else the whole entire time. There was not a separate scooter/wheelchair line.

What did NOT occur is a CM scanning the big long line of guests and pulling out all of the scooters and having the scooter rider and his/her group cut to the front of the big long queue.

My apologies if what I said earlier was confusing!
Possibly it was the resort you were staying at? At Pop, AoA, all parks and DS, the scooters line up separately from the other guests and scooter then their families are loaded first.

another thing which happened to me leaving MK one night precovid, I walk with a cane had a mother pull her young daughter up so close to me that I could not put my cane down. she looks at me and says dont put that down on her daughter. I looked at mom and answered her would you prefer me to fall on your daughter as that would be the direction I would fall. should have seen how fast she moved her daughter so I could put the cane down. she was not happy with me but what I told her was the truth
What?? That’s terrible! Where is the compassion, manners, and appreciation of personal space?? I’m sorry that happened to you.

I was surprised to read you used to get 10+ fastpasses/day at MK with refresh, but still were happy on this trip waiting 55 minutes for anything. I am in the same boat, used to refresh the crap out of fastpasses, and now I am horrified at the idea of waiting in lines.
Well, I wouldn’t go as far as to say I was happy waiting that long, but I didn’t have a choice. It was manageable but I still really prefer FP+! The only park I didn’t really miss it as much was AK. We went to Epcot today and really missed it there! I honestly managed better at Epcot with refreshing FP on NYE (2018?) than I did today. I rode everything I wanted to eventually but was there from rope drop to shortly before close. Even the boat in Mexico had a line out the door in the sun most of the day. As others have said the lines out in the hot sun are pretty brutal.

I would like to add one more thing about scooters loading first. I had a personal experience trying to load a scooter on a bus that people were already on. Most folks would temporarily move from their seat across from where the scooter loads if asked politely. However, one guy, defiantly crossed his arms and said "NO!". Well, I'm not sure if many folks have ever tried to park a scooter on the bus, but it's not just a piece of cake. I attempted to work around his legs in angling the scooter into the spot, but that left me out too far, so I had to go forward again. And his legs were in the way, but he still didn't get it until I accidently "nudged" him trying to get around. At that point, the bus driver firmly told him to move until the scooter was in, and the other people retook their seats. He whined about it all the way back to the resort.

It's not as easy as it looks sometimes, and as disneyseniors said above, most of us are NOT in a scooter by choice, and love visiting Disney parks just as much as any other family.
I’ve witnessed the expert driving you need to do to get up the ramp and then back up into the spot on the bus. It looks very difficult and that guy was rude (and stupid). I’m sure it’s not fun to have to make those maneuvers with people watching you, too. I saw several people tip their scooters off the ramp this trip, it was scary to watch but fortunately they were okay.

I found we could ride 2-3 rides in the morning before the heat and crowds got too much. We were more successful in the evenings. The last hour we could squeeze in 4 rides or more depending on our priorities.
As an example, we closed MK last night after a fabulous dinner at Narcoosies. We got to MK at 8:15. We rode haunted mansion, little mermaid, buzz, and space mountain. Walked off space at 9:05.

We had great luck at the end of the day as well. Shorter and very manageable waits for SDMT and Splash. While we rope dropped SDD, we also did it again at the end of the night for maybe a 10 minute wait. We felt the mornings were crowded compared to recent trips, so rope drop can be good but it’s definitely not the only way to get in rides.

We had great luck at the end of the day as well. Shorter and very manageable waits for SDMT and Splash. While we rope dropped SDD, we also did it again at the end of the night for maybe a 10 minute wait. We felt the mornings were crowded compared to recent trips, so rope drop can be good but it’s definitely not the only way to get in rides.
I agree. Rope drop only got us 1-2 rides but I think people left early due to the heat so wait times were actually better in the evenings.

Hmm…what I observed at parks was scooters just pulled off to the side of the queue, they did not get IN the line, ever. When the bus pulled up they loaded scooters and family first. Again they were not in line, they were off to the side where I think there was a wheelchair icon telling them where to wait. Maybe this was only for SSR bus stops?? Not sure.
AT SSR at the five little resort stops the scooters went front and center in the middle of the covered stop and they got loaded first regardless of when they got to the stop.
Your observations vs my observations just again proves Disney’s inconsistency here, lol.
Possibly it was the resort you were staying at? At Pop, AoA, all parks and DS, the scooters line up separately from the other guests and scooter then their families are loaded first.

This was at the MK bus stop **at MK** to go back to Pop.

Question for those who have visited resorts from off site recently - We are planning to have breakfast at Pop on an upcoming trip but aren't staying at Disney and do not even have Disney tickets for the parks. How are they handling that recently? I know in the past pre-covid it was never a problem for us but I also know that recently people were not let in. Are they relaxing that somewhat now?

Wanted to report on our MK day, Monday June 7. We are staying at AKL Jambo House and this MK day was our first day in the parks. We left Jambo House at 705 a.m. via Uber, got dropped at Contemporary and walked over. We were in the park by 735 a.m. The only rides open before 8 a.m. were Pirates, 7DMT, PP and Space Mountain. We had a 12:00 p.m. lunch reservation at Liberty Tree Tavern.

Before lunch - so 7:30 a.m. to noon - we did the following
Peter Pan (walk on at 745 p.m. )
Haunted Mansion twice (walk on, let in at 7:55 a.m)
Splash (10 min wait)
Pirates (25 min wait)
Snack at Aloha Isle (mobile order)
Aladdin twice (10 min wait for each)
Jungle Cruise - posted line 50 minutes. Moved very slowly. About 20 minutes in the posted line went up to 70 min. This was our only bad experience of the day. The line absolutely creeped along, and we watched a ton of people come through the "special FP line" and go right to the front and board. They were not with tour guides and this is not a child swap ride so we could not figure out why so many people were getting in this line but it was large party after large party. This was entirely separate from the disability line that boards in a separate spot where the boats pull up earlier. But that was an issue too. Between the large parties boarding through the disability entrance, and then the many special FP line groups, I would say the regular line was getting about 1/3 of the available capacity on the ride. The line just barely moved. After 70 minutes we were not close to the front and we were about to miss our ADR for Liberty Tree. We asked if they could call the restaurant to tell them. Instead they gave us a recovery FP and we were able to go to lunch and return.

After lunch (130) until we left the park at 6:45 p.m. we were able to do the following
Swiss Family twice (walk on)
TTA (10-15 min wait)
Buzz twice (15 min wait each)
Space twice (about 25-30 wait each)
7 Dwarves Mine train (35-40 min wait)
Dumbo (walk on)
Barnstormer three times (5 min wait each)
Teacups (5-10 minute wait)

We left the park around 6:45 p.m. very happy with our day. Pleasantly surprised at low wait times late in the afternoon. If we had stayed until park closing (9 p.m.) we could have done just as well and skipped rope drop. The only nightmare was Jungle Cruise. Even at 60 minutes wait this ride is not worth it IMO, and they really seem to have problems right now keeping that line manageable. It is ludicrous IMO to not fill the boats after everyone has been crammed together in line for 70 minutes.

Liberty Tree Tavern was a good experience and the kids loved the food, but overall that place is way too pricey for food like Mac and cheese and mashed potatoes. I liked it but it was $250 for a family of 5 for lunch, so not sure we will do it again.

Is security allowing uber &/or Lyft past the security gates at Contemporary now ? No dining or resort reservation required anymore? Or just you got lucky?
Previous poster also asked about the policy at POP for parking without Disney ticketing or reservations… so your answer would be helpful.
Thanks

On our way home from an 8 day trip. I can’t stress enough the importance of rope drop especially at DHS and AK. We were on the first bus from AKL Jambo at 7:41 all three of our DHS days and were able to be about 3 groups back at the turnstiles. Go all the way to the right. Our strategy was to go straight to Rock and Roller coaster then ToT or Smugglers Run (older kids no interest in Slinky). We were able to get 2 rides with low waits then a third with a wait of 30-40 minutes. We put in mobile orders for Woodys Lunch Box while in line to enter and had Tochoes for breakfast at about 10:30. Also need to plan ahead to mobile order lunch here. On our AK days we were on the first bus at 6:57. Got us in a good position for rope drop. Did Flight of Passage, Navi, then about a 40 minute wait for Safari, 25 minute wait for Everest. Second AK day did Flight of Passage then straight to Everest - no wait. Very hard to get up early but totally worth it. Our one sleep in day we had a late breakfast and shopped. Were able to do a few rides last two hours before park closing. Evenings were ok. Had good luck at Magic Kingdom in the evenings. Generally 30-40 minute waits for headliners last couple hours of the day, but rope drop worked best for us.

Is security allowing uber &/or Lyft past the security gates at Contemporary now ? No dining or resort reservation required anymore? Or just you got lucky?
Previous poster also asked about the policy at POP for parking without Disney ticketing or reservations… so your answer would be helpful.
Thanks
Our Uber driver showed his ID, motioned that he was dropping us off, circled around after the security gates, pulled to the left and let us out. No problem from the guard. We were not trying to go inside the Contemporary.

On our way home from an 8 day trip. I can’t stress enough the importance of rope drop especially at DHS and AK. We were on the first bus from AKL Jambo at 7:41 all three of our DHS days and were able to be about 3 groups back at the turnstiles. Go all the way to the right. Our strategy was to go straight to Rock and Roller coaster then ToT or Smugglers Run (older kids no interest in Slinky). We were able to get 2 rides with low waits then a third with a wait of 30-40 minutes. We put in mobile orders for Woodys Lunch Box while in line to enter and had Tochoes for breakfast at about 10:30. Also need to plan ahead to mobile order lunch here. On our AK days we were on the first bus at 6:57. Got us in a good position for rope drop. Did Flight of Passage, Navi, then about a 40 minute wait for Safari, 25 minute wait for Everest. Second AK day did Flight of Passage then straight to Everest - no wait. Very hard to get up early but totally worth it. Our one sleep in day we had a late breakfast and shopped. Were able to do a few rides last two hours before park closing. Evenings were ok. Had good luck at Magic Kingdom in the evenings. Generally 30-40 minute waits for headliners last couple hours of the day, but rope drop worked best for us.
Also just leaving Jambo house, same trip week. I would offer that evenings before park closing are just as good as rope drops if your family doesn't want to get up. We went the last hour AK was open on Tuesday and we did Everest 3 times with 5 minute wait each, then got in line for FOP and did it with about 30 minute wait, left the park by 745. On Saturday we slept in (kids too tired for RD), got to Animal Kingdom at 1115 a.m., Dinosaur was 10 minute wait, and Everest was 20 minutes (did it twice). Then waited only about 30 or 35 minutes for Safaris. We skipped Kali, that ride not worth the wait to us. During the last hour of the day in the studios we did Runaway Railway (20 minute line) and walked on ToT. Rock n rollercoaster was 25 minutes at end of the day, which is less than what we waited at 9 a.m. earlier in the week.

Our Uber driver showed his ID, motioned that he was dropping us off, circled around after the security gates, pulled to the left and let us out. No problem from the guard. We were not trying to go inside the Contemporary.
Just a note that this is not common as for a very long time guests not staying at the resort and who were not dining at the Contemporary with a confirmed ADR we’re being turned away.

Things may have changed but this one case above is different from what many others have shared.

Just a note that this is not common as for a very long time guests not staying at the resort and who were not dining at the Contemporary with a confirmed ADR we’re being turned away.

Things may have changed but this one case above is different from what many others have shared.
Well even if we had been turned away, the Uber would have had to do the same thing which is just flip a U turn after the gate in order to leave, and then he would have let us out right before leaving the parking lot. I don't think they can prevent you from getting out of the car on the sidewalk before the security gate. We were not trying to walk into the hotel, we were getting out and walking away from the hotel.

Well even if we had been turned away, the Uber would have had to do the same thing which is just flip a U turn after the gate in order to leave, and then he would have let us out right before leaving the parking lot. I don't think they can prevent you from getting out of the car on the sidewalk before the security gate. We were not trying to walk into the hotel, we were getting out and walking away from the hotel.
You'd be surprised. Haha. There were lots of reports of exactly this happening. I really don't know what would happen if you ignored him telling you to get back in the car, but would you have wanted to find out after spending Disney money?

We took an Uber twice in the late afternoon both to the Contemporary and Polynesian for drinks without reservations and both times we were just waved in by the gate security. I was surprised as this was not usually the practice previously, I wasn’t sure if we would be turned away or not.
The drivers both just said “dropping off” and flashed their badges and that was it. YMMV.

Staying at Jambo in a few weeks- wondering how it is there currently. Mostly busses, food and pool. Any advice?

We took an Uber twice in the late afternoon both to the Contemporary and Polynesian for drinks without reservations and both times we were just waved in by the gate security. I was surprised as this was not usually the practice previously, I wasn’t sure if we would be turned away or not.
The drivers both just said “dropping off” and flashed their badges and that was it. YMMV.
I wonder if it’s different in the afternoon when it’s not rope drop time. Seems reasonable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter