• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We did HS today, we walked over from the BW and arrived a little before 8:00. The Skyliner must have just started running because we saw people getting off, but the line at security wasn’t too long yet. Didn’t see any resort buses or cars in the parking lot at that time. We went through temp check and security around 8:10 and went straight in the park. We decided to do TSL first instead of MMRR like the majority of others. We arrived at SDD at 8:25 and waited for the ride to start running just after 8:30. We had a maybe 5 minute wait after the ride started running for the day. We were able to do Alien Swirling Saucers & TSMM all before 9:00. We headed to GE at 9:00 to ride Smugglers Run. I believe the posted wait was around 45 minutes, but we waited closer to 30. We are a party of 7, and we split up 4 & 3 with no other groups added to either of our pods. Since MMRR was closed, we headed to Starbucks after Smugglers Run. Line at 10 was 30 minutes long, we started on the last social distance marker on the street for Starbucks. Jumped in line for MMRR after that, posted time was 60 minutes, we waited around 35.
We have done well with mobile ordering this trip, and have been able to order during busy times and get our food fairly quickly. Woody’s lunchbox was the only place at HS that had a super delayed return window. We ordered from backlot express around 11:30 and had our food within 20 minutes.
Our BG for RotR was called while we were eating, so we headed back to GE after lunch. Less than 30 minutes from entering then queue to completion. Waits for everything we’re long at this point, so we went to RnRC & TOT to do child swaps. RnRC was posted as 50, we waited less than 30. TOT was posted 70, we waited at least 90, but one side of elevators went down part way through the line causing the wait time to jump up. Since SDD and MMRR were both down, My parents tried to take the kids to the 4:30 Frozen sing along about 25 minutes before the show began, but the show was already full. I think they also attempted the Disney Jr show, but that was also full. We managed to catch MMRR running again before 5:00 and jumped in line. Posted 55 minutes, actually about 30 again. Headed to TSL while my dad and DH went back for their TOT child swap, Alien Swirling Saucers was posted as 15 minutes, we walked straight on.

Dinner options were less plentiful for mobile ordering, especially for those with food allergies, so we took the friendship boat over to YC/BC for dinner.

Overall, HS turned out to be a great day! After a disappointing MK day Tuesday, we needed a decent park day to make this trip seem worth what we paid. We have another HS day this trip to catch the shows we missed today.

We went through temp check and security around 8:10 and went straight in the park. We decided to do TSL first instead of MMRR like the majority of others. .
Sorry, wanted to clarify, were more going to MMRR or TSL? Heading in the morning and thinking we go TSL first.

Ya our expectations are already low, luckily we do go often so this won't be our first step into WDW. I am going to note 1 & 2 and keep it in mind. One question, why do you think the parks were so empty at opening? I figured it might be worse due to the shorter hours. Oh and when was your trip?

we went mid December - the 14th to the 18th.Look getting to the front gate as the sun is rising is never easy. Heck we did it 3 out if 5 days and were adults who knew better.

we went mid December - the 14th to the 18th.Look getting to the front gate as the sun is rising is never easy. Heck we did it 3 out if 5 days and were adults who knew better.

What do you mean by "look getting to the front gate as the sun is rising"?

Sorry, wanted to clarify, were more going to MMRR or TSL? Heading in the morning and thinking we go TSL first.
Sorry I didn’t see this last night, but for others who may be wondering, most people seem to head to MMRR, TSL is pretty quiet for the first 10-15 minutes. The posted wait time for SDD was 30 minutes once we go off.

We went to Epcot today, which is also the first day of Festival of the Arts! Crowds were noticeably heavier than our first Epcot day on Monday, but still manageable. We were at IG by 9:45, and the line back there grew much quicker than it did on Monday. They let a group of us through the temp check and security around 10:00, then held us before the ticket scanners until 10:10. We decided to head straight for TT this morning, which ended up being a good choice since FEA was down all day long. We got to the line for TT at 10:22, and the CM at the entrance said the ride wouldn’t be starting until closer to 11:00. The line started to move at 10:29, and we made it on at 10:39. We just wandered without much of a plan the rest of the day, which was nice. Ride times were short In future world, and we rode everything up there by late afternoon. It was breezy and chilly, and with the festival starting today, WS was very busy, so we left after dinner.

One thing to note about festival merch - I was looking for the figment spirit jersey, but all the shops had long lines to get inside. I happened to stumble upon a festival merchandise booth in the WS, and there was no line, so I was able to easily grab one there. The booth I stopped at had tervis water bottles, a hat, a short sleeve shirt, spirit jersey, coffee mug and a paint palette shaped plate. Maybe not all the merch that other stores might have, but I was only interested in the spirit jersey, so it saved me some time waiting in lines at the stores! We passed a least one more booth like that, so just something to be aware of if lines are long at the stores.

We haven’t really done social distant character interactions out in the park this trip, so when we stumbled upon Anna, it felt very chaotic. I don’t understand why they don’t try to make it slightly more organized with some kind of line over there. Once you get up to the front, you are completing for attention from Anna with the other people on dots at the front as well. For quiet or shy kids, it’s definitely not ideal. We preferred the one character meal at GG we did where our kids had their turn with the characters as they came around.

We decided to switch our last MK day to Epcot this trip since we haven’t had luck with a MK touring plan, and have enjoyed both our Epcot days so much more. We do love MK, so hopefully by next January things will be back to normal.

Sorry I didn’t see this last night, but for others who may be wondering, most people seem to head to MMRR, TSL is pretty quiet for the first 10-15 minutes. The posted wait time for SDD was 30 minutes once we go off.
All good, when we arrived this morning, MMRR had no line outside so we went for it and kept walking all the way to the ride with minimal wait. We then headed to TSL and were able to do all 3 rides there before 10, sdd had more stops, but TSM and AS2 were near walk ons. We also had boarding group 27 for RotR and were called about the time we were going to head to Galaxies Edge, so that worked out really well for us.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Going the last week of January (FINALLY!) and we want to be sure to do MMRR first thing on our HS day. Can someone who has been lately remind me what time we need to be at the entrance? We will be driving over from the CR. (I'm willing to go by bus but the rest of the family wants to drive)

Going the last week of January (FINALLY!) and we want to be sure to do MMRR first thing on our HS day. Can someone who has been lately remind me what time we need to be at the entrance? We will be driving over from the CR. (I'm willing to go by bus but the rest of the family wants to drive)
Yep, was there yesterday and drove from AoA. We left the parking lot around 745 and it's just a short drive, maybe 5 minutes tops. We were 4th in line where security held us back from getting to the toll booths. They let us proceed to toll booth at 755, but we were then held there another 15-20 minutes.

Once in the parking lot, we realized it doesn't pay to be first because they send you all the way down the first parking row. You may have saw my post above, but here's what we were able to do in the morning by 11am:

All good, when we arrived this morning, MMRR had no line outside so we went for it and kept walking all the way to the ride with minimal wait. We then headed to TSL and were able to do all 3 rides there before 10, sdd had more stops, but TSM and AS2 were near walk ons. We also had boarding group 27 for RotR and were called about the time we were going to head to Galaxies Edge, so that worked out really well for us.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.
This included a couple food snack stops and photopass stop. After our RotR ride, we went to droid depot to complete our droid builds early, then it was nearly time for lunch so we hung out til out ADR table was ready.

Good luck on your day!

Over the holiday week, they were letting us into HS at 8:05 for a 9:00 opening. We walked from the Swan and arrived by 7:45 to be at the front of the line for temp and security check. MMRR was our first stop and was running by 8:15. We did this successfully on 3 separate park days. Good luck!

I think they mean that getting up that early is low on the fun scale. :)
Dragging me, my wife, 3 kids out of bed, through breakfast and to a park by say 7:15 is hard work.

Seriously, I have done the whole commando style WDW trips (yes, plural) - more recently NO. My long suffering Disney wife had a favorite day last time - the one where the 3 of us hit the parks and she stayed on the beach behind BLT all day.

Just got back from a 5 night trip 1/3-1/8 and it was great! Stayed at AoA for the first time and had a really great experience there. Rode the Skyliner to HS and Epcot, bussed to Magic Kingdom (didn't do AK), and always made it into the parks before official opening time (and we had never even attempted rope drop before!) As long as you are okay with wearing a mask, I actually found Disney to be really enjoyable right now. People were usually very good about keeping 6 feet in lines, and relaxation stations were good for taking breaks to eat when wait times got long in the middle of the day. I will say, I think getting into the parks early is what made this trip worth it. Little to no lines, and by the time crowds started coming in, we already did almost everything we wanted to! Perfect time to stop for a snack/lunch. We didn't park hop, but our friends who did said it was well worth it, as dining can be hard to come by at dinner time, so they would hop to wherever they could get a reservation that day! Overall it is a different experience, but what isn't this year.

Just returned from a 5-night trip with my 11 year old, 1/3-1/8. I thought I had lowered my expectations, but I guess they weren't low enough. There were a few good things but overall, the magic wasn't there for us.

The Good-

We stayed at Pop. The transportation was plentiful enough, keeping in mind it seemed very light on capacity at the resort and parks. Buses came often and loaded with social distancing in mind. The Skyliner was convenient, although the day we went to Epcot, getting off at Caribbean beach and standing in a huge line of 90% Hollywood studios people was annoying. They could really do something better there. Skyliner back from parks was convenient and fast, but we did not leave at peak times.

Disney Springs-unexpectedly we went here 3 times in 5 days. We didn't find it too crowded at all, again, crowds are lower now than over the holidays. We were able to sit outside at every restaurant we ate at and even if they didn't have reservations available in the app, they seated us right away- we ate at The Boathouse twice and it seemed to have the least availability on the app for reservations. Standing in lines to get in some of the stores deterred us from shopping in many places, but they were doing what they felt necessary.

Ride wait times, for the most part, are over-exaggerated in the app. Some rides, like Star Tours listed 40 mins, it was 10 mins. Most were a third of their advertised times, some half, with the exception of TOT which was actually longer and sits at 70-80 mins at almost all times.

Covid rule compliance was fairly strong and if you're worried about covid, they are enforcing their rules even if they are doing some things that are inconsistent.

The weather- not controlled by anything, but that was the best part of the week- we're from PA and I could get used to winters like that!

The Bad-

Christmas decorations and music still everywhere and maybe for some, you like that. But I felt it was like someone forgot to take the stuff down- like that song- "I leave my Christmas lights up all year long..." I don't want to hear Hark the Herald Angels Sing two weeks after Christmas- that's just me. I'm fine with it before, but take it down and turn it off already.

Lines so long on rides that they make you wait outside of the traditional park. This completely ruins the Disney experience IMO because those aren't the things you are supposed to see- the scaffold holding up the makings of GE at HS. We waited outside normally closed gates in line for the MFSE and snaked through an area full of trailers and backs of buildings not intended to be seen. They attempted to hide some of it with shrubs- fail. This was the case for many rides at HS. Also lines so long you were in different lands- like you're all the way in Frontierland waiting in a line for POTC or all the way outside of the park though normally closed barriers near where the old entrance to TSM was in line for TSM. Just finding the end of some lines was ridiculous.

Some rides rode every seat, others spaced them ridiculously far apart only adding to the wait times which would probably have been nearly nothing in many cases. It makes no logical sense why you only fill the first and last row of POTC but fill every row in other rides like RNR. Filling rows 1-3-5 of POC would still be distanced sufficiently.

Loss of in-line experiences was a real bummer for me. That is the magic of many rides. Everything from personalizing your experience (like in TT) to telling the story or setting up the experience that goes along with the ride (like in TOT) was removed or diminished. I felt like I was waiting in line at your typical amusement park except that those are often 'rides of thrill'- that is what you're waiting for- not so at Disney- your wait is often part of the ride experience.

So many things are closed- I'm not talking rides or shows (thankful for the bird show at AK still!)- lack of shows was a real loss for us but we knew that going in- I'm talking shuddered food places from restaurants to food stands and carts. Epcot looked like it was only half open and while you can use the app to order ahead- that is only at a few places per park. The order-ahead worked fine for us but the limited choices and long lines for simple things because so much else was closed was both frustrating and ridiculous if the plan is not to have people crowded together.

Epcot was a waste IMO. The construction and walls erected not only ruins the whole look and feel, but they're also a pain to walk around. I felt Disney did a better job of concealing the pain of expansion in the past, maybe it's just harder to do when it's right in the middle of everything. The lack of almost anything happening in each of the countries made it pointless, I guess the Taste of EPCOT International Festival of the Arts this week could help, but it was a major disappointment.

We finished each park by midday every day- hence the reason we made it to Disney Springs so many times. There was just nothing left to do, nothing interesting to check out as so many things that you would normally do- shows, character M&Gs or parades- weren't happening and there was nothing to wait around for at the end- like fireworks or laser shows- maybe we missed something because we left. We saw the same mini parades (HS, MK) or characters on boats (AK) over and over and over-it was boring. AK dino area was a ghost town. Over half of the games shuddered and of course no boneyard or play area open, primeval whirl shut down for good, it was just sad looking.

In the end, we were glad we got 5 days of good weather but couldn't wait to leave to rid ourselves of constant masking and line markers and sights of closed and shut down places- a mirror of the current state of the outside world we were hoping we could escape for a little bit in small ways with the magic of Disney that just wasn't there for us this time.

Just got back from a 5 night trip 1/3-1/8 and it was great! Stayed at AoA for the first time and had a really great experience there. Rode the Skyliner to HS and Epcot, bussed to Magic Kingdom (didn't do AK), and always made it into the parks before official opening time (and we had never even attempted rope drop before!) As long as you are okay with wearing a mask, I actually found Disney to be really enjoyable right now. People were usually very good about keeping 6 feet in lines, and relaxation stations were good for taking breaks to eat when wait times got long in the middle of the day. I will say, I think getting into the parks early is what made this trip worth it. Little to no lines, and by the time crowds started coming in, we already did almost everything we wanted to! Perfect time to stop for a snack/lunch. We didn't park hop, but our friends who did said it was well worth it, as dining can be hard to come by at dinner time, so they would hop to wherever they could get a reservation that day! Overall it is a different experience, but what isn't this year.

Thank you for that report. I am on the fence about going to disney at this time, but we Really need to get away!
We are show people and love to enjoy those while at disney. We do the rides too, but wonder if missing the shows would be a deal breaker?

Just returned from a 5-night trip with my 11 year old, 1/3-1/8. I thought I had lowered my expectations, but I guess they weren't low enough. There were a few good things but overall, the magic wasn't there for us.

The Good-

We stayed at Pop. The transportation was plentiful enough, keeping in mind it seemed very light on capacity at the resort and parks. Buses came often and loaded with social distancing in mind. The Skyliner was convenient, although the day we went to Epcot, getting off at Caribbean beach and standing in a huge line of 90% Hollywood studios people was annoying. They could really do something better there. Skyliner back from parks was convenient and fast, but we did not leave at peak times.

Disney Springs-unexpectedly we went here 3 times in 5 days. We didn't find it too crowded at all, again, crowds are lower now than over the holidays. We were able to sit outside at every restaurant we ate at and even if they didn't have reservations available in the app, they seated us right away- we ate at The Boathouse twice and it seemed to have the least availability on the app for reservations. Standing in lines to get in some of the stores deterred us from shopping in many places, but they were doing what they felt necessary.

Ride wait times, for the most part, are over-exaggerated in the app. Some rides, like Star Tours listed 40 mins, it was 10 mins. Most were a third of their advertised times, some half, with the exception of TOT which was actually longer and sits at 70-80 mins at almost all times.

Covid rule compliance was fairly strong and if you're worried about covid, they are enforcing their rules even if they are doing some things that are inconsistent.

The weather- not controlled by anything, but that was the best part of the week- we're from PA and I could get used to winters like that!

The Bad-

Christmas decorations and music still everywhere and maybe for some, you like that. But I felt it was like someone forgot to take the stuff down- like that song- "I leave my Christmas lights up all year long..." I don't want to hear Hark the Herald Angels Sing two weeks after Christmas- that's just me. I'm fine with it before, but take it down and turn it off already.

Lines so long on rides that they make you wait outside of the traditional park. This completely ruins the Disney experience IMO because those aren't the things you are supposed to see- the scaffold holding up the makings of GE at HS. We waited outside normally closed gates in line for the MFSE and snaked through an area full of trailers and backs of buildings not intended to be seen. They attempted to hide some of it with shrubs- fail. This was the case for many rides at HS. Also lines so long you were in different lands- like you're all the way in Frontierland waiting in a line for POTC or all the way outside of the park though normally closed barriers near where the old entrance to TSM was in line for TSM. Just finding the end of some lines was ridiculous.

Some rides rode every seat, others spaced them ridiculously far apart only adding to the wait times which would probably have been nearly nothing in many cases. It makes no logical sense why you only fill the first and last row of POTC but fill every row in other rides like RNR. Filling rows 1-3-5 of POC would still be distanced sufficiently.

Loss of in-line experiences was a real bummer for me. That is the magic of many rides. Everything from personalizing your experience (like in TT) to telling the story or setting up the experience that goes along with the ride (like in TOT) was removed or diminished. I felt like I was waiting in line at your typical amusement park except that those are often 'rides of thrill'- that is what you're waiting for- not so at Disney- your wait is often part of the ride experience.

So many things are closed- I'm not talking rides or shows (thankful for the bird show at AK still!)- lack of shows was a real loss for us but we knew that going in- I'm talking shuddered food places from restaurants to food stands and carts. Epcot looked like it was only half open and while you can use the app to order ahead- that is only at a few places per park. The order-ahead worked fine for us but the limited choices and long lines for simple things because so much else was closed was both frustrating and ridiculous if the plan is not to have people crowded together.

Epcot was a waste IMO. The construction and walls erected not only ruins the whole look and feel, but they're also a pain to walk around. I felt Disney did a better job of concealing the pain of expansion in the past, maybe it's just harder to do when it's right in the middle of everything. The lack of almost anything happening in each of the countries made it pointless, I guess the Taste of EPCOT International Festival of the Arts this week could help, but it was a major disappointment.

We finished each park by midday every day- hence the reason we made it to Disney Springs so many times. There was just nothing left to do, nothing interesting to check out as so many things that you would normally do- shows, character M&Gs or parades- weren't happening and there was nothing to wait around for at the end- like fireworks or laser shows- maybe we missed something because we left. We saw the same mini parades (HS, MK) or characters on boats (AK) over and over and over-it was boring. AK dino area was a ghost town. Over half of the games shuddered and of course no boneyard or play area open, primeval whirl shut down for good, it was just sad looking.

In the end, we were glad we got 5 days of good weather but couldn't wait to leave to rid ourselves of constant masking and line markers and sights of closed and shut down places- a mirror of the current state of the outside world we were hoping we could escape for a little bit in small ways with the magic of Disney that just wasn't there for us this time.
Thank you for sharing your experience. We have been to Disney annually since 2014. We didn’t go in 2020. I have a trip booked for July (moved from July 2020), but we are really on the fence. I really don’t want to be in a mask my entire vacation and experience all of the “bad” from your post, but I really want to get back to my happy place so badly. I wish I had a crystal ball and could see what WDW will be like in the summer. I am currently researching beach vacations as a backup, but it just doesn’t excite me. Ugh! This situation doesn’t work well with my type A planning personally!

The Good-

The Bad-

Thanks so much for sharing !! This is why we cancelled our July 20 trip, and will probably wait to see what 2022 has in store

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter