RD report for driving to MK today, 8am opening: Super easy.
Arrived at toll plaza at 6:53, were 3 cars back
7:05 cars started entering
7:08 we rolled through (in a slow line) and parked at the front.\
7:15 were through security and temp (no line)
7:17 arrived at monorail at TTC
7:21 monorail departed TTC
7:30 monorail arrived at MK
7:40 in line for 7DMT, posted 35 min wait, was a 25 min wait
8:08am, off 7DMT and on with our day.
I needn't have fretted, really. The park was fairly empty for that first part of the day and the early arrival saved me some time in line at 7DMT but that is really it. Could just have easily done 7DMT at night, last hour of park opening was a 45 minute posted wait so only 10 minutes more than at 7:40am.
Friends, no need to stress. Just arrive at the toll plaza about 65-70 minutes prior to park opening and it will all work out.
Had a fantastic day!

Report on today at MK (Tuesday 12/8)....

It was magical. Really, really great. We arrived well before 8am park opening and left at about 12:30, took the monorail for lunch at the Grand Floridian which was top notch. SO much better food than most places available in the park, and very civilized and relaxing (and they have prosecco, just sayin'). Left from GF for our (VERY large and relative to Disney, inexpensive) offsite rental home, took a lovely nap, and returned about 5:30pm, stayed through park closing at 8pm. We did SO MUCH. A few more rides to tick off on MK day 2 but for a relatively relaxed pace, we did a LOT with no FP. I was pleasantly surprised.

Gone are the days of it taking hours to leave the park. We closed at HM which had been down for quite a while but came back up in the last 30 minutes of park opening hours. We exited the park and I groaned at the line for the monorail to the TTC. That line took 10 minutes! Whaaat?!? I have paid large sums of money to stay at the Contemporary to avoid thithe 1-our leaving exodus, but now? Hmm. Not sure it's worth the $$$ right now (although I do not dispute the convenience of the monorail resorts to the MK).

SO happy to have returned to see the castle and holiday lights at night. Amazing.

In that last part of the night, we rode PP with 22 min wait (posted 45), Pooh with 8 min wait (posted 20), Mermaid was walk-on (posted 15), Dumbo walk-on and we rode twice without getting off (posted 5) and we rode twice without getting off, and HM was walk-on (also managed to fit in QS dinner at Cosmic Rays).

One complaint? Getting food is not easy. Sleepy Hollow and Westward Ho had loooooong lines for SNACKS and seriously, I cannot afford to spend 15-20 min in line to grab a snack. Also, there is about nothing to eat in the park before the Lunching Pad opens at 10:00, so be prepared. I am not one to stand in a line in the first hour of park opening (e.g at the Main Street bakery) so I was glad I had my coffee before I arrived. We mobile ordered in advance and it worked out fine for actual QS meals. Also, sitting down to snack or dine stationary and socially distant takes time. I found myself very thirsty and hungry due to my reluctance to stop before lunch :)

So happy we came. This is one set of family memories no one will EVER forget -- Disney in a pandemic!

Day 2 of 6 is tomorrow!

We did epcot yesterday.
Breakfast before at WCC at 9. Waiters still have their cheek but warned us no ketchup shenanigans. He did make it rain straws on us and lots of cute jokes about how bad service is in this place. Breakfast skillets were good!

Arrived at epcot at 1055, they made us drive the u turns until 11. But at 1105 they started letting us pay to park. Walking into park about 11:15, straight back to frozen, line was already outside but we were off the ride by 11:55 so couldn't have been more than 15 or 20 minutes.
Then we went to test track, posted 75 nd we decided to wait, actual wait was 50 mins.
Spaceship earth posted 20, took 11.
Nemo, living with land, figment were walk on.
Soarin was posted 30 minutes, TP app said 20, it was a walkon to the point where they assign rows. We rode in afternoon and again around 730pm, same thing. I think a little bit its luck since it loads so many all at once!

Then took our time wandering to find olafs in WS (theyre really easy!), dinner at via napoli. It was good!

WS was fairly congested with people back around Germany, but not too bad otherwise. We found epcot probably the least crowded of our trip so far. HS coming up today!!

I do have to give it up for disney with a kid with a food allergy. He doesnt eat most dairy,, but servers take time to ask me whats ok and whats not, are super kind to him. At AYCTE places they bring him his own plates of food, via napoli even had vegan cheese.

Ok everyone if you're coming to DHS today come on.

I followed everyone's advice. Got up got a boarding group from the lobby at Pop Century. Called uber at 7, dropped off at speedway by 7:15. Walked to the park and I was the only person around. Left and walked around a bit came back a little after 7:30 to be the third person in line. A few more groups are starting to show up.

here now - 12/9 is our last day. It has been relatively busy for attractions, but fairly easy to move around. Mask compliance has been excellent, hardly any infractions. We have felt very safe. Staying AKL in the DVC, and nobody is here. Maybe 60 cars in the parking lot. That is hard to get used to

SUNDAY - DAY 1 - Studios. We took Uber to the Speedway at 7:25 and walked over. Held before the temperature tents until 7:55, then held at the tents until 8:15. WE were let in, and into the park. Straight to Minnie/Mickey Railroad where all cast said opening at 9:00. They let us on around 8:40, and we were on the 2nd train out. Went to Slinky, but it was already 70 minutes. We were hoping to double up, but instead walked onto Toy Story Mania, then did the Falcon with about a 15 minute wait. Everything was very busy after. All 3 by 9:40, so that was good. After this, everything was really backed up with long waits. WE did just a few more things after a quick breakfast.
OH - tried both times right on time for Rise of the Resistance with no luck. UGGGHHH Really wanted that one.

EPCOT day 2 on Monday, and surprisingly busy. We arrive at 11:30 for the noon opening, and Frozen was backed up to China already. Skipped and did Soarin instead with a 20 minute wait. Food booths were not too backed up, but its a slow time at EPCOT without the holiday story tellers and entertainment. Voices of Liberty are a must see in the American Gardens.

AK - day 3. Arrived about 7:45 with an 8:00 opening. Right to Flights of Passage with a 20 minute wait. Good to see the full que experience. It is chilly today, so animals were out and moving. Safari was way backed up, but moved fast and we were on in about 15 minutes. Never seen 4 cheetahs up and moving, but the painted dogs were not moving. Jumped to Disney Springs for lunch, and it was moderately busy.
Went this night to Give Kids the World to see the lights. WOW - it is more than the Osborne lights as far as the amount of builders lighted. While it is not more spectacular, it was special. WE also got to see the house that Disunplugged sponsored. WELL DONE PETE and the crew. It was cold, but we stay about 1 1/2 hrs. Once you visit, you want to help them even more. What a great place.

Last day today is MK.

To this point, we have felt very safe. Nearly 100% are very respectful of each other. Tough to mask up all day since neither of us have needed to wear them at our work, but we have managed well. Being a bit cooler probably helped. Excited for our last day.

Ok everyone if you're coming to DHS today come on.

I followed everyone's advice. Got up got a boarding group from the lobby at Pop Century. Called uber at 7, dropped off at speedway by 7:15. Walked to the park and I was the only person around. Left and walked around a bit came back a little after 7:30 to be the third person in line. A few more groups are starting to show up.
We had to have been right by you! Family of 4 with 2 kids in stroller and we were 4th group to walk up waiting to be let back.

We got BG 3 from our hotel, called uber, got to boardwalk about 715, grabbed coffee and croissant we mobile ordered, walked over. Worked perfectly! Lyft XL was minivan and could easily fit 5 of us and double stroller.

If you are going for the 1st time, you will have a great time. Don't bother reading this.

It had been a year since I've been back, and was looking forward to this Nov/Dec trip.

I just cancelled my trip for March.

Why?.....
I missed the variety of foods to eat. Tho I discovered cream cheese stuffed pretzel at Launching Pad. yum!
I missed Fast passes! 60+ minutes lines for Mine train, Frozen in Epcot, Flight of Passage, Mickey's RR. Sometimes you could get a shorter line if you went before park opening. Tho my friends made the waiting in lines fun.
I felt the underlying concern of Covid in my mind the whole trip. With numbers going up, friends and family warnings, concerned about being too close to another guest, me being over 70, I worried. I'm in quarantine now, so far so good.
I missed the attractions that were closed. It seemed that once you did the rides, there was not much else to do.
I loved the the castle's projection, but so did a lot of guests. Again, worry of Covid was in my head.
I loved the mini parades.
Disney did a great job of keeping me healthy.

Why did I cancel March 2021. I don't think Covid will be gone by then.

I do have a trip for Nov. 2021.

Heading to WDW this weekend. What restaurants should we Uber to for breakfast if we want to then walk to MK and DHS to get there earlier than if we drove and parked? Not looking for table service- just something quick so we have no problem being dropped off with Uber. I’m thinking the Contemporary for MK but can you walk from there or do you have to take the monorail? And is Boardwalk Bakery the best option for DHS or is there something better?

Heading to WDW this weekend. What restaurants should we Uber to for breakfast if we want to then walk to MK and DHS to get there earlier than if we drove and parked? Not looking for table service- just something quick so we have no problem being dropped off with Uber. I’m thinking the Contemporary for MK but can you walk from there or do you have to take the monorail? And is Boardwalk Bakery the best option for DHS or is there something better?
You can walk to MK from the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian or you can technically walk from the TTC now that there’s a walkway from the GF (but if you’re doing Uber anyway just get dropped off at either of those resorts)

You can walk to MK from the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian or you can technically walk from the TTC now that there’s a walkway from the GF (but if you’re doing Uber anyway just get dropped off at either of those resorts)
Any of these 3 work but the Contemporary is your shortest walk.

Last edited:
For DHS, I am going to rideshare to the Speedway and walk to DHS from there. For MK, the contemporary is best. I am going to also try this route. We are staying at Shades of Green, so should be a short ride to Contemporary from there. I think for AK and EP I am just going to use Shades transport since opening won't be as seriously affected those days, but I still plan on arriving early.

We did this from Boardwalk Bakery yesterday and it was perfect!
Mobile ordered breakfast when we woke up for 7-730 window.
Got our rise BG at 7, then called Lyft XL (5 people plus double stroller), he was at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in 5 mins. Got to boardwalk at 7:15, grabbed croissants and coffee, started walking to DHS at 7:30 (could have moved even faster if we rushed).
Got to DHS about 745, they held us until about 8 to walk to temp checks, then held at temp checks until 815. If we hadn't had a stroller to be checked we'd have been 3rd person in park.

We walked onto MMRR, but line at slinky was 45 mins when we finished that.

Heading to WDW this weekend. What restaurants should we Uber to for breakfast if we want to then walk to MK and DHS to get there earlier than if we drove and parked?
Do not attempt to skip the breakfast order and unload before the gate at the Contemporary. This morning there was an Orange County Sheriff vehicle in the area and they forced people to get back in their vehicle after blasting an announcement about it not being an unloading zone. I had the bad luck to be walking in front of the Sheriff's truck when they made the announcement :P.

Last edited:
Hello! I wanted to thank everyone on this board for their tips and discussions - they all helped us have a great trip November 29th through December 7th! I wrote a trip report and it can be found here if anyone is interested in reading it (this can be removed if it is not allowed). We hope to be back at Disney World soon!

Are there any buses from the parks to Disney Springs yet?
Or do you have to Uber there from the parks if you decide not to go back to your Disney hotel for a bus to Disney Springs?
We are flying out tomorrow for our vacation. We have not been back in 7 years, and lots of great tips.

For DHS, I am going to rideshare to the Speedway and walk to DHS from there. For MK, the contemporary is best. I am going to also try this route. We are staying at Shades of Green, so should be a short ride to Contemporary from there. I think for AK and EP I am just going to use Shades transport since opening won't be as seriously affected those days, but I still plan on arriving early.

FYI, Shades of Green shares buses for HS and AK (or at they still were last week), though it will drop off AK first. There have been times where they've run two buses though if the first one gets full (I only personally experienced that once in 2017, but did see two SOG buses at HS last week (we had taken a rideshare) shortly before the park opened. We also did the walk from Shades of Green to the MK using the new GF path (although we did take a wrong turn within the GF grounds the first time we tried that....).

Last day of the 4 day trip - WED 12/9 to the MK. Amazingly, this day was much less crowded. We met a friend and his family, and they were at the MK the day before. The Confectionary was backed up 25 people deep, the Emporium was backed up to the castle area. On this day, it was basically walk right into both at noon. Rides were busy, but not too bad, and the crowds were easy to navigate through. HOWEVER, this was the first time I saw someone blatantly disregard wearing their mask. It was at the chin, and a cast member asked them to pull it up. They just kept walking and drinking. Besides a few noses peeking out, it was really high compliance.

The temps were way down into the 30s to start the day, but it was still comfortable by 9:30, and after noon some of us went to short sleeves.

Final report is to say we survived wearing a mask all day. It was not too difficult, but it did get old since neither of us has a job that puts us into the situation to wear a mask on a regular basis. We felt safe the entire trip and would return again, but we are looking forward to no mask, and some of the safety additions being removed and the area returning back to what we know (and will it ever happen).

Are there any buses from the parks to Disney Springs yet?
Or do you have to Uber there from the parks if you decide not to go back to your Disney hotel for a bus to Disney Springs?
We are flying out tomorrow for our vacation. We have not been back in 7 years, and lots of great tips.
So far as I know, the parks to DS buses haven't started up again yet. But no need to go back to your Disney hotel specifically - just travel to the nearest Disney hotel (walk to CR from MK, walk or boat to BWV/YC/BC from Epcot/DHS, take whichever resort bus comes first at AK) and catch the DS bus from there. Of course you can Uber if you want, as well.

So far as I know, the parks to DS buses haven't started up again yet. But no need to go back to your Disney hotel specifically - just travel to the nearest Disney hotel (walk to CR from MK, walk or boat to BWV/YC/BC from Epcot/DHS, take whichever resort bus comes first at AK) and catch the DS bus from there. Of course you can Uber if you want, as well.
Great idea. I did not even think about that. 👍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter