Can you please clarify what you mean by 'restrictions of what you can bring or how it needs to be carried?' Not really sure what you're asking.

Items that are prohibited in Disney parks has not changed.

Thanks - sorry I was not clear.
Restrictions about the bag itself more so than the items it carries.
Specifically -
  • can you still carry a backpack?
  • does it need to be clear, like some sporting events?
  • do they inspect the bag differently at security so they aren't touching it?
  • do I need to remove some of the contents of bag for security and if so, what kind of contents? should those be bagged differently?
Thanks!

I'd argue the exact opposite is true. An unwavering schedule means more people lining up. By keeping everyone guessing it does disperse the crowds a bit. Its the same reasoning for the surprise cavalcades verses the regular parades. I believe Disney even said as much in the very beginning.
Do you believe that’s their strategy? Wouldn’t people be lined up for rope drop regardless of what Disney decides to do with transportation that day? I would think running transport later (10:30 am for Epcot instead of 10 am) is just asking for crowding.

This is what I’m planning to do next week for MK! It’s an 8 am opening and I want to RD so I don’t want to take a chance!
I’m hoping to do the same. I had a Wave ADR, but that doesn’t help me anymore with the 8am start. When will you place your order? Do you know how early we can access the mobile order page? Thanks for any insight you may have!

I don't understand how Hollywood Studios was so much more crowded yesterday when they are at capacity pretty much every day. Seems like it should always be the same crowd level unless Disney is not keeping their 35% cap in place. I am very nervous about my trip in a week and a half.
DHS is not at capacity everyday

Thanks - sorry I was not clear.
Restrictions about the bag itself more so than the items it carries.
Specifically -
  • can you still carry a backpack?
  • does it need to be clear, like some sporting events?
  • do they inspect the bag differently at security so they aren't touching it?
  • do I need to remove some of the contents of bag for security and if so, what kind of contents? should those be bagged differently?
Thanks!
Nothing has changed about the kind of bag you can bring. Now you just walk through a scanner with your bag on. The only things you have to take out are umbrellas, metal water bottles or sunglasses cases, battery packs. No need to bag them different, they just need to see them while you walk through. It’s SO much faster than it used to be!

Do you believe that’s their strategy? Wouldn’t people be lined up for rope drop regardless of what Disney decides to do with transportation that day? I would think running transport later (10:30 am for Epcot instead of 10 am) is just asking for crowding.
They stagger everything so the parks are open when the parking lots open and the Disney transportation drops you off. The only line will be for any walkers. It's to keep us safe, but it's frustrating if you like to know you're first.

Apologize if already reported, but today at MK RD, lined us up in queues outside of ride queue. And at BTMMR, atleast, didn't let us into ride queue until 7:55.
SDMT was a lonnnnggg line, also outside of ride queue, hence the BTMRR for us. :)
As we passed PP CM was telling everyone 8AM opening.
This was at 7:30ish.
As always, YMMV. :)

It seems like the parks are way more crowded this weekend then Thanksgiving. We are headed there on Friday and I have been checking wait times and this weekend at least on the app looked INSANE. I am glad we will be there mostly during the week but the ride wait times look like normal at the moment. I assume it is because they are only partial capacity but wowza

Thank you for sharing but I have to admit this surprises me. Most other groups I am part of has said DS is a madhouse and to avoid. We had planned on skipping entirely. Perhaps weekends should be avoided? I would like to get a clearer picture of this.

Hmm maybe a matter of timing. We went after Thanksgiving and before the big holiday rush. Also went mostly during the week and day hours. We did not find it a madhouse at all

I’m hoping to do the same. I had a Wave ADR, but that doesn’t help me anymore with the 8am start. When will you place your order? Do you know how early we can access the mobile order page? Thanks for any insight you may have!
It looks like Contempo Cafe opens at 7 am so I plan to do a mobile order on my way over in the Uber hopefully around 7-715ish and then walk from there!

So...now that they have extended the hours for the next little while, what is the general thinking about whether they will “unofficially” open an hour before those times? We are heading to DHS tomorrow and it’s posted as a 9am opening, but I’m really struggling with what time to plan on getting there.

Ak today, such a great day!
We drove and arrived at parking at 715 right as light turned green. Some cars in front of us but not a ton. Went straight to FOP and walked right through to the ride without stopping (and having only fast passed it we were tempted to stop!). We did both FOP and Navi by 830, and Navi was our longest line of the day at 30 mins.

Everest was down 3p yesterday until 1ish today, so afternoon Everest rates were nuts 70-120 mins. We waited until 7ish and wait time went down to 30 posted and only about 15 actual.

We did every single thing in the park except kali (hate being wet) and ended up doing FOP twice bc we hopped back in line at closing (and only waited around 10 mins!)

Mobile order worked really well, we ordered an hour or 2 before when in line for rides. Plenty of seating at flame tree and satuli.

Africa area around harambe was a little bananas in afternoon but otherwise distancing not bad, and we found we didn't need the relaxation areas bc we'd grab a snack and sit down at a table for ice cream or beer and use that break.

Love the Christmas tree light up popcorn bucket!

My one tip was that mask tape from Amazon was a life saver! Kept my glasses from fogging and put on my son so I didn't have to keep popping his over his nose. It does make your mask kind of suck into your mouth as you breathe but if you can get used to it its so nice to have your mask held firm in place.

Mk tomorrow...holler if you have questions!

We did HS today. Got boarding group 71 from hotel room (data).....Speedtested the entire room and stood in the best spot lol. Left Kidani village around 8:00. Nobody on bus to HS. Got right through temp check and easily into HS at around 8:22. Walked straight to Slinky Dog and once the ride started waited about 15 mins. Had a great day.....rode MFSR, MMRR, Rise of the Resistance, TT, RR, TSM (twice), Saucers, Muppets, Slinky (twice), Star Tours and ended the day at Sci-Fi. There were plenty of people there for sure but didn’t seem terrible. Lines looked long but moved quickly. We rode everything we wanted and I even did Savvis Lightsaber Experience. Mobile order works perfectly! Used that for a Morning Ronto Wrap and some frozen hot chocolate at ABC. Awesome day!

Last edited:
I dont want to delve too far in theoreticals since this is an actuals thread but, yes, I believe its very possible that Disney is staggering transportation starts, park openings and ride start times in an unpredictable fashion in light of the fact that I recall Disney stating that one of the safety aspects they were implementing was the smaller, unpredictable cavalcades to prevent crowding. To bring it back around to actual experiences, unpredictable staggering is certainly what people are experiencing and what should be planned on. No guarantees right now, if thats a deal breaker then perhaps Disney isnt the right vacation right now (not directly aimed at you hereforthechurros, to anyone that cant deal with that level of uncertainty).

Magic Kingdom Sunday 12/6

Hours were 8:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. I headed down to the Pop bus stop 6:30ish and was the third party in the queue. Ten minutes later the normal queue area was full and beginning to straggle down the sidewalk. A mega-bus pulled up at 6:44 and everyone got on.
46B46DC8-84F3-4624-B15B-9A39C2D8B1F0.jpeg

E71C2170-CF22-4652-9EF0-EE2CB99B8A20.jpeg

6CFDED6A-060B-408E-87EC-B3F3851128F9.jpeg

4BC3B5F3-3823-4E0A-AF4F-AD0B2406BE15.jpeg

I was in the line for temperature screening by 7:05. At 7:10 we were allowed through temp screen and security but were held outside the gate until 7:15.
D0C15522-C0C6-487A-A346-ED1ADEFB79A4.jpeg

7D970FDD-B4D8-4963-9FAB-41D81068B5C1.jpeg

TBC

Last edited:
Magic Kingdom Sunday 12/6 (continued)
11846C22-45EE-482D-A9F1-009D74E55B62.jpeg

I was in line for Mine Train at 7:22. We were held in the outside queue until the ride began operation at 7:30. I was on the second train of the day.
DA55353B-C1D2-47E5-97C7-1BC2637B2C24.jpeg

Peter Pan was up and running at 7:40 and was a walk-on.

792641B7-096A-4B6F-972E-5EDCF7FDE769.jpeg

B8E43252-F04E-46B1-96B7-ED62CA00A007.jpeg

Big Thunder was next. It hadn‘t opened yet at 7:52, the line was held outside until 7:57. Both tracks were running and it was basically a walk on.

6FB43C5A-112C-43A1-9CB0-8FE61740EE3C.jpeg

At 8:15 Haunted Mansion was showing a 10 minute wait but there was no line at all. I was on and off by 8:23.

E7820032-F013-4356-9EEA-B2B6C0E601CB.jpeg

8:30 a.m.
Winnie the Pooh was a walk on as were Buzz Lightyear and AstroOrbiter.
57ABDAA1-37D0-411F-A03A-074FF6819104.jpeg
AF689AEC-3FA9-47D4-A6FB-E767AE33E9B3.jpeg

09266680-E472-4486-BA43-30A132C743D4.jpeg

9:00 a.m.
Took a break at the tables across from The Plaza and watched the Dapper Dans Christmas caroling from the horse trolley.

C424EF77-F455-499E-9A17-AA9544D57764.jpeg

No wait for Little Mermaid at 9:20.

By 9:30 I’d done everything I’d planned on doing. When I was planning this trip I did so with the understanding that I’d only be in the parks a couple of hours at a time. Due to COVID I’m avoiding longer lines (especially the indoor variety), long indoor rides (things like RotR) and shows. Still, I finished up in the MK even earlier than I was expecting.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter