OK - Last day in the parks for us - AK on Tuesday, 11/10.

SCHEDULE DETAIL WARNING - this trip report will have way too detailed time information... read at your own risk!

We drove to the parking lot, and arrived at the Toll Plaza at 7:58 and were about 3 cars back in line. They let us through at 8:14, but then held us again at the end of the long driveway right at the beginning of the parking lot until 8:26. We could see many many buses arriving and dropping off folks while we waited. We parked and quickly walked to the temp tents - arriving at 8:32, and were in the park at 8:34.

We had made the decision to NOT rope drop FoP, because it was immediately posting a 45 minute line, and waits later in the day seem to be far less on weekdays - and this proved to be true. So, we set off to essentially walk-on 4-5 rides to start our day, and do multiple FoP rides later in the afternoon. So, here we go...

- Na'vi River Journey 8:40 (3 min to walk through the queue) - 8:50 done
- Kilimanjaro Safaris 8:57 (11 min wait as it opened at 9am) - 9:32 done (animals were super active)
- EE 9:41 (5 min wait) 10 min posted - 9:51 done
- EE 9:52 (2 min wait) 15 min posted - 9:59 done
- Dinosaur 10:12 (10 min wait) 5 min posted - 10:28 done (somehow this ride still scares me! My 10 year old DD laughs at me)
- TriceraTop Spin 10:31 (4 min wait) 5 min posted - 10:39 done
- it's tough to be a bug! 10:43 (8 min wait) - 11:02 done
- lunch at Flame Tree
- FoP 11:46 (30 min wait) 45 min posted - 12:26 done
- Tree of Life Gardens / Gorilla Falls Trail
- Kali River Rapids 2:23 (9 min wait) 10 min posted - 2:42 done
- Maharajah Jungle Trek and Winged Encounters
- EE 3:25 (12 min wait) 30 min posted - 3:41 done
- FoP 4:11 (28 min wait) 25 min posted - 4:49 done
- FoP 4:49 (28 min wait) 25 min posted - 5:30 done

We reached the exit at 5:42, and were back at the hotel at 6:00.

I then took my daughter to California Grill for a birthday dinner! On our departure day, on 11/11, we did breakfast at Topolino's Terrace - which was GREAT - even with the socially distant characters, hit up Winter Summerland for minigolf, and DS before going to the airport.

We had an AMAZING trip - as I mentioned, I missed the nighttime spectaculars, but it still felt like "Disney" to us.

Staying off-site near Disney Springs. 10am opening today at HS. Ordered Uber at 7:30, picked up at 7:33, dropped off at Speedway at 7:41 and was first in line at Hollywood Studios (held at Skyliner) at 7:57.

As of this post, 8:06, there are only two other families in line.
Wow, that is really early. What time did they let you in? We were there on Tuesday, walked from Swan and got to park about 9:05. We were probably 10-15 groups back. They started temp checks about 9:10/9:15 and we were on MMRR by 9:20.

Just back - 9 Days , 3 Gold AP Holders, 3 LoS 7 day passes. 5 nights CCV, 3 Nights BCV. 2 50+ adults , 4 20+ adults
Last Trip was Dec '19 pre-covid, 5am walks to DHS for Rise for BG's

Random thoughts
* X-mas decor In full swing at parks, and at CCV lobby. BCV decorated this past W or R night (Nov 19/20)
* Skyliner stopped , a lot, compared with last Dec on Epcot to Riv line
* Hotel lobbies were Ghost towns , this past-pre x-giving week. Never saw a soul in CCV hallway (6th floor).BCV seemed busier.
* Pool spacing was fine.
* Since Drivers, walkers, disney transportation "all" have "equal" access to hours, Early risers will be required to maximize the Big rides w/o lines
* We arrived anywhere from 45 to 30 mins prior to park opening , at AK/DHS and got in as temp screening began.
* Mine Train was the biggest pain to avoid Line, as it just doesn't have the capacity to incur the surges. FoP early we had no waits twice. Mine was insta-45+ wait.
* Boats were limited from WL/CCV , although once we had a private trip at 7:15 for 8am open.
* Mobile Order for QS food is 100% a Keeper IMO. No chaos while ordering, tables available by design (arrival windows), big plus IMO
* Few sit down meals we had were great, and a pleasure since we have not been inside a restaurant since early March (Mass) (jungle skipper, Liberty, beaches, SciFi, Yak) no 2-Table service credit meals this trip. (Flying closed :( )
* Mask wearers were great, for the most part. Few non-magic moments with young kids seen, 3 families seen as mask abusers, despite being spoken to by CM's - in line for Splash and FoP, and space.All 3 at night.
* Noted those families pics at both splash and space, and saw no masks for the pics.
* Several shops are closed, it was noticeable. Son wanted Soccer jersey from UK, all closed, but had success at Disney springs
* 6 foot separation for the most part achievable. Some oblivious folks in lines, kids fine, adults ... please obey space during this time (!)
* 6 Foot separation - IMO - for Lines should be used going forward. Even pre-covid trips I would like to not have folks "joining" our group.
* Rise broke down, alot 1st DHS day. Screens pre-show not working, guns not firing, 1 Integ. room non-functional. Rode 3 times. Better in Dec '19 pre Covid.

Overall all I'd say I very much appreciated the break from current the current news cycle, as I'm sure everyone else is as well. Was nice to have Expedition or Kali as my problem of the day, for a week.
Kudos to disney for trying their best to enforce Covid restrictions.

Negatives are everyone else's concerns I'm sure. Park hopping missed (night time forays into Epcot from Beach club), Missed Illuminations - but we missed that in Dec '19 as well.
Heard Harmonious barges may be installed soon for water and/or projection effects at night . Loved Castle and Tower projections. Saw one Tree of Life Proj "show" that was cute but
not as well defined. Night time shows were missed. FP - would love a new system , more akin to MaxPass or old Paper scheme.

Now to go get a Covid test and pray that the next time we go (fall 2022), things are better for everyone on the planet in general.

Last edited:
OK - Last day in the parks for us - AK on Tuesday, 11/10.

SCHEDULE DETAIL WARNING - this trip report will have way too detailed time information... read at your own risk!

We drove to the parking lot, and arrived at the Toll Plaza at 7:58 and were about 3 cars back in line. They let us through at 8:14, but then held us again at the end of the long driveway right at the beginning of the parking lot until 8:26. We could see many many buses arriving and dropping off folks while we waited. We parked and quickly walked to the temp tents - arriving at 8:32, and were in the park at 8:34.

We had made the decision to NOT rope drop FoP, because it was immediately posting a 45 minute line, and waits later in the day seem to be far less on weekdays - and this proved to be true. So, we set off to essentially walk-on 4-5 rides to start our day, and do multiple FoP rides later in the afternoon. So, here we go...

- Na'vi River Journey 8:40 (3 min to walk through the queue) - 8:50 done
- Kilimanjaro Safaris 8:57 (11 min wait as it opened at 9am) - 9:32 done (animals were super active)
- EE 9:41 (5 min wait) 10 min posted - 9:51 done
- EE 9:52 (2 min wait) 15 min posted - 9:59 done
- Dinosaur 10:12 (10 min wait) 5 min posted - 10:28 done (somehow this ride still scares me! My 10 year old DD laughs at me)
- TriceraTop Spin 10:31 (4 min wait) 5 min posted - 10:39 done
- it's tough to be a bug! 10:43 (8 min wait) - 11:02 done
- lunch at Flame Tree
- FoP 11:46 (30 min wait) 45 min posted - 12:26 done
- Tree of Life Gardens / Gorilla Falls Trail
- Kali River Rapids 2:23 (9 min wait) 10 min posted - 2:42 done
- Maharajah Jungle Trek and Winged Encounters
- EE 3:25 (12 min wait) 30 min posted - 3:41 done
- FoP 4:11 (28 min wait) 25 min posted - 4:49 done
- FoP 4:49 (28 min wait) 25 min posted - 5:30 done

We reached the exit at 5:42, and were back at the hotel at 6:00.

I then took my daughter to California Grill for a birthday dinner! On our departure day, on 11/11, we did breakfast at Topolino's Terrace - which was GREAT - even with the socially distant characters, hit up Winter Summerland for minigolf, and DS before going to the airport.

We had an AMAZING trip - as I mentioned, I missed the nighttime spectaculars, but it still felt like "Disney" to us.

Thanks for sharing!! In your experience does it make sense to avoid rope dropping FoP and do it later when crowds disperse? I’m seeing a lot of people do it later in the day with minimal waits.
[/QUOTE]

Heading home from a great 5-night stay at WDW. Sitting here at MCO and am seeing the worst mask compliance in my two trips. Probably my bad luck, but in the next row is a whole family who is either maskless or wearing them below their noses or on their chins. Near to them is another man who has not had a mask on since he arrived. Maybe they all have already had Covid, I don’t know. But I am definitely glad to have my KN95 mask and eye protection today. :sad2:

Thanks for sharing!! In your experience does it make sense to avoid rope dropping FoP and do it later when crowds disperse? I’m seeing a lot of people do it later in the day with minimal waits.
[/QUOTE]
I think on weekdays it certainly makes sense. The longest waits seem to be right away, and we virtually walked on every ride in the meantime. I’m not sure about weekends though.

Just returned home yesterday and we had a wonderful time. Thank you to everyone for all the great tips- they definitely came in handy.

Here’s some quick takeaways that might help others coming soon:
  • Line times were often overinflated and if they weren’t, they were accurate. Don’t let how long they look fool you- it’s just because everyone is so distanced.
  • Personally, we thought the food was pretty ‘meh’ and survived the last two days with no dining reservations just fine. Never experienced long waits for QS or carts. I’m sure things are better when everything else is open. Noticed the lack of options the most in MK.
  • Magic Kingdom seemed to be the most overwhelming in terms of bottle necks and poor mask compliance. Monday is just as busy as a weekend- our day on Thursday was so easy with minimal crowds compared to the Monday.
  • Getting there early is key- I followed everyone’s tips on here to arrive early and they worked!
  • For us Disneyland folks, don’t even try the churros. Yuck. I was quite offended. 😂
  • I found ourselves much more exhausted than usual. We did about the same amount of walking as we usually do when I looked at my steps- maybe it was the longer periods standing? The masks in the humidity? I wasn’t prepared to feel so wiped out everyday.
  • If you stay in the park all day, take your relaxing time break by the cavalcade routes. We did this in AK and Mk and saw them all!
  • The magic is still there, the masks and distancing become second nature after awhile.
Hope everyone has a safe trip! We came back home to our county going into a strict lockdown with panic hoarding galore (we are quarantining regardless but still) so I’m thankful we went. Next few weeks look like they’re going to be stressful.

Heading home from a great 5-night stay at WDW. Sitting here at MCO and am seeing the worst mask compliance in my two trips. Probably my bad luck, but in the next row is a whole family who is either maskless or wearing them below their noses or on their chins. Near to them is another man who has not had a mask on since he arrived. Maybe they all have already had Covid, I don’t know. But I am definitely glad to have my KN95 mask and eye protection today. :sad2:
I saw a lot of noncompliance at MCO on my recent trip back (mid-day flight) when sitting at the gate for my flight. Definitely the worst on the entire trip.

Glad you had a great trip, safe travels home! :)

We got back last night from a 5 night stay. We had a great time, and really enjoyed seeing the Christmas decorations. The first few nights we were at the Swan and were able to walk to Epcot and HS. At Epcot, we got to the IG close to 10:00 am (for 11:00 opening) and were let in about 10:15, we went straight to Frozen and were 3rd in line, off by 10:35. At HS, we got there a little after 9:00 am (10:00 opening) and were let in about 9:15; went straight to MMRR, no wait except the time it took to walk the queue, and were off by 9:30, then went straight to slinky and waited about 30 min. HS was the most crowded feeling park for us.

MK was the best park for us as far as wait times. We did two days there and did not do rope drop either day. We were at the Contemporary, so we just walked over whenever we got ready. Posted wait times were usually a good bit longer than what we actually waited. Big Thunder, posted wait was 45 min, and we only waited the time it took us to get through the queue (which is long), Splash posted 25 min, but only about 5. The only rides we found to have pretty accurate times were 7DMT, Pirates and sometimes Space mountain (which was usually only 15 min). We did every ride we wanted to multiple times both days and really enjoyed seeing the cavalcades and Christmas decorations.

I was a little nervous about going, but it ended up being one of our best trips ever.

Here at Epcot today. I'm an out of Towner so I've been going off of what I've seen online, but it feels very busy. Mask compliance is great but it's difficult to distance a lot of times. We got off FEA about 1045 and spent about 40 minutes waiting in line for test track. Then mission space (a very underrated ride if you ask my kids) and started walking to Teppan Edo for our 12:40 lunch. Having a great time, but it's definitely busy here in Epcot.

Attachments

• 1605986042284215386810962159780.jpg
    1605986042284215386810962159780.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 61
We arrived at MCO today and observed the same. A lot of people without masks at all, including an entire family at the rental car counter (not just waiting in line, actually at the counter). :sad2:

Does anyone here have recent reports on what time the parking lots are opening at the various parks? Is it still about 45 min prior to park opening? Would love anyone's recent experience with this. I know it can also change day to day. I am thinking of turning up about an hour prior and if not yet open to line up, pulling over until they are open?

Roughly, yes. We were there a few days last week. You won't be able to pull over though. Police make you keep going.

• Personally, we thought the food was pretty ‘meh’ and survived the last two days with no dining reservations just fine. Never experienced long waits for QS or carts. I’m sure things are better when everything else is open. Noticed the lack of options the most in MK.
  • For us Disneyland folks, don’t even try the churros. Yuck. I was quite offended. 😂
I told you to stay away from those churros! 😄 And I agree that the food at WDW is very forgettable compared to Disneyland. Glad you had a good trip overall. We are supposed to leave in a few weeks, and I am worried that our trip won't happen (again).

I told you to stay away from those churros! 😄 And I agree that the food at WDW is very forgettable compared to Disneyland. Glad you had a good trip overall. We are supposed to leave in a few weeks, and I am worried that our trip won't happen (again).

We finally saw them and we just had to try. The instant they were in my hand I knew something was horribly wrong! 😂 They just let them rot in those pans!

Trip report

edit: For context, I’m a local (about an hour away) with an ap. I’ve been back three separate trips since the reopen for 3-5 days each time- Aug, Sept, and last week. Normally I visit one day at a time about two times a month aside from the summer, with two-three overnight trips a year; but due to my newly busy schedule I’ve only had time to go during my vacation time off of work.

MK 11/12- hurricane was on its way out.

JC posted 30 actual 19. Line filled entire queue. Distancing fine on our boat; other boats had too many large parties and people were not six feet apart.

Pirates posted 20 actual 21. Line started to left of entrance. Distancing fine.

BTMR posted 25 1207 changed to 35 few mn later actual 22. Distancing fine.

Splash 1237 posted 25 actual 18. Mom can’t sit in the same row as me anymore due to needing to stretch her leg out; cm had no issue letting us sit in separate rows. Had our own boat.

Pooh posted 20 152 large group
8ppl? stepped to side. Actual 15. Line was to water fountain. One party per pot.

HM posted 15 221 actual walk on. We didn’t realize it til we were already on but every vehicle is loaded, so distancing is not six feet the entire ride. In September one empty was left between parties.

Little Mermaid posted 20 announced cleaning as got in line 3:00. actual 16. We had an empty wheelchair accessible clam in front of us. They were loading every clam, which again puts you within six feet of people and was not the practice in September. We went to guest services to politely complain at that point and left as I was so upset at the lack of distance on two attractions.

AK 11/13

Safari posted 30 1134 actual 20. Queue was wrapped around to the tour info booth and went through an extended portion once past the entrance that I had never seen before. No distancing- every row was being loaded. There’s plastic with gaps between the rows. When we got to the cm who assigns rows, we politely told her we did not want to be in a row near anyone else. She cheerfully assigned us to the last row and no one was placed in front of us.

Long line (ten minutes) to see gorillas and they were rushing people. Only got to stand there two mn. CM said to take a pic and step over to next marker; but our first marker was halfway down due to the place emptying right before we went in.

Very few people respected distancing on the trails. It wasn’t very pleasant as we had to keep moving when people invaded our space.

HS 11/14

MMRR 830 posted 60 actual 35. One party per car that day- most of the cars didn’t have plexiglass. That has now changed.

ToT 917 posted 25 cm sign 30 actual 20. Line was past Joffreys. CM did not tell a party of two in the front to sit all the way to the left to ensure adequate distance from the party on the right. Front to back was fine, and we were distanced well from the party of two on our left.

TSM 9:52 posted 30 actual 14. Queue was halfway back to the entrance of the land.

ST posted 35 10:22 actual 15. Line filled outside queue. When we went in, I left a section of seats between us and the next party to maintain distance. Turns out the cm had other ideas as unknown to me he had put another group in line behind us. I should have stepped off and asked to ride the next time at a safe distance. Mom just moved over and I followed; had a split second to make a choice and made the wrong one. Last time I will do that.

Muppets posted 20mn 10:48 actual 12. Line was outside. Got to see the cute posters outside for the first time. Distancing was fine.

Rise in line 1215. Line was nearly to
Muppets. Reached check in at 1222 off at 1243 but preshows broken; aside from a second boarding group check we did not stop walking until we reached a certain very large room. I asked the cm assigning spots if it was one party per vehicle. He asked if I knew about the barriers; I said I did but that’s not a substitute for distancing. He had us move back from our spot to wait for the next cycle so we would be distanced. It was an interesting conversation as we were both trying to stay in character. 🤣

There were too many people at every park. It was extremely difficult to stay distanced most of the time walking around. Safety has declined a lot since we went in September. People following the calvacades acted like there was no pandemic and walked right next to each other

Ironically, some of the queues seem to be set up better now- or maybe we just got lucky and were near fewer large parties. Anyways, the first section of the MMRR queue was fine this time; last time we were frequently within six feet of someone laterally despite our efforts to leave a gap when needed and stand as far to the side as possible. Big Thunder didn’t have people on both sides of the dreaded plexiglass in the very first part of the queue at the top.

We only went to three QS locations. DB7 we ate outside, which was surprisingly nearly empty. Seats were not assigned, so we were able to pick a table that had us very far from anyone else if anyone else showed up. They’ve put plexiglass up between booths and removed the unavailable signs. No one was sitting back to back when we were there.

A great place to chill at AK is the stands for Rivers of Life. Hardly anyone was there. Nice place to watch the character boats- one goes by every five mn or so. It’s the starting and ending point so you see everyone twice.

Last edited:
Did MK today, we knew it would be crowded, and not walk on type day. But overall we really thought the crowds weren’t horrible.

We got into MK right around 9, maybe a few minutes before, me and DD6 did space twice, while my husband and DD2 did Pooh, Carousel, and Peter Pan.

Then we met up did haunted mansion, Peter Pan, and did lunch at cosmic rays, then we did Buzz.

It was about 12:30 now and was when it started to feel crowded. We headed to pirates and about 10 minutes into the line I got DH to agree to a break.

Took a break and nap, and got back to the park around 445, did some photo pass pictures quick shopping and then dinner at the plaza, after the plaza we did pirates, country bear and small world. We could have easily done another ride or two time wise but decided to head out, it was about 8.

We caught multiple cavalcades and really enjoyed them. Overall we felt for about 6 park hours with two meals we did plenty.

Spots feel crowded from the lines being outside, but the mid day break avoided worst lines, and crowds.

Last edited:
Will someone please remind me of the best rope drop strategy for Epcot currently? I know to be in line to park at 10-10:15, but when we were there in September we got in line for Soarin and had to wait until 11 for them to start the ride. Is there anything we can do that starts before 11?

Looking for pandemic packing tips from anyone just back. We leave in a week and are driving. I have the usual big general Disney packing lists I’ve found online but wondering if there are things you all found useful or wish you had brought for “pandemic Disney?” There will be five of us with 3 kids ages 6, 10 and 12.

Will someone please remind me of the best rope drop strategy for Epcot currently? I know to be in line to park at 10-10:15, but when we were there in September we got in line for Soarin and had to wait until 11 for them to start the ride. Is there anything we can do that starts before 11?
Nothing is supposed to open before official park opening, that's an operational decision made daily by reach attraction team. Sometimes FEA opens earlier but nothing is guaranteed, I would say go to your priority attraction first

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter