OK - 1st park day - Saturday, 11/7 - DHS

I'm a bit of a scheduling nerd, so I'll post our wait times for rides and such, if it's helpful for anybody.

So, we got RotR BGs at 7am. We had two devices - an Iphone 12 Pro and an older IPad Air, and used Pop Century Wifi not LTE with Location Services OFF. Got Boarding Group 2!

We decided to take a Lyft to Disney's Boardwalk Resort and had a mobile order at Boardwalk Bakery ready (they did check at the gate). We arrived at 7:20, and started walking to DHS at 7:40.

We were the first guests to arrive at 7:56AM, and were held at the bollards where the bus drop-off meets the Skyliner Station - just past the new Restroom building.

At 8:45AM, they walked us to the temperature check tents and held us there.

At 9:10AM, they started temp checks and we were through security and in the park at 9:12AM (my extra battery pack for my iphone set off the new security scanners and we were pulled aside for an old-fashioned bag check.)

We were in line for MMRR at 9:14AM, which was operating immediately, and waited 4 mins to board. Back out in front at 9:24AM. From there:
- Slinky Dog Dash 9:29 (15 min wait) - 9:46 done
- MF:SR 9:50 (20 min. wait) - 10:18 done
- RotR (they called our BG 2 at 9:30AM for what it's worth) (15 min to preshow) - 10:53 done
- Lunch / explore Galaxy's Edge / Beer at Baseline (30 min line to get a beer BTW) 10:57 - 1:16PM
- RnR Coaster 1:26 PM (50 min. wait) - 2:20 done
- Alien Swirling Saucers 2:42 (17 min. wait) - 3:03 done
- Slinky Dog Dash 3:07 (67 min. wait) - 4:16 done
- TSMania 4:18 (7 min. wait) - 4:35 done
- Dinner in Galaxy's Edge and Beer at Baseline 4:42 - 5:38
- Tower of Terror 5:45 (38 min. wait) - 6:30 done
- MMRR 6:42 (48 min. wait) - 7:36 done
- Oga's Cantina (7:40 reservation)

We made the Skyliner back to Pop Century at 8:20 - and were at Pop Century at 8:30.

A few long lines on what seemed to be a busier day according to TouringPlans historical crowd calendar, but we got so much done! Knocking out four big rides before lunch led to us feeling like we could absorb a few long lines in the afternoon.

MK on Sunday next...

Last edited:
We’re heading to AK near closing. Haven’t seen Pandora at night in a long time! Wonder how crowds will be then? As an AP, I find that I like the last few hours there parks are open best.

sorry for the delay - was tired last night and hit the road to drive home early today. Pandora was busy right up till close. We got in line for Na’vi river at 5:35 with a 65 minute wait and waited 45 minutes. When we got off we had enough time to get in line for FoP which was posted as 75 minutes and based on where the line was I would estimate was 50-60 minute wait.

Has anyone attended an AK early 7am opening today or yesterday ? Interested to know what time the lot opens for cars.

We decided to take a Lyft to Disney's Boardwalk Resort and had a mobile order at Boardwalk Bakery ready (they did check at the gate). We arrived at 7:20, and started walking to DHS at 7:40.

Is this a pretty reliable option to be allowed in? We have a reservation at trattoria for 735 for 10a opening at HS but I think wed rather mobile order QS if thats an option!

Has anyone at the parks now or recently noticed if they have Christmas magic bands out? I waited as long as I could for them to show up in the resort magic bands and have been watching shop Disney since. They still have Halloween, NBA bands, everything but Christmas!

I saw Christmas magic bands out. I saw at a store in the contemporary a d at the emporium. Just look in the areas that have all the Christmas stuff in any of the parks

Has anyone attended an AK early 7am opening today or yesterday ? Interested to know what time the lot opens for cars.

I posted back a bit on this, but we didn’t try to get there right when they opened. We were at AK at 6:40 and they were already open and I would say we were 100 cars back (didn’t have to wait at all to go through the toll booth, but waited in a line to park). My experience at the other parks was 45 minutes before park open they let people start lining up at toll booth. Exception was HS which was at 8:45 for a 10am open. If you get there no earlier than 6:15 you should be good for AK

We are staying at Animal Kingdom Kidani for first half of Thanksgiving week. We will have a car. I’m trying to figure out which parks we should drive to, which to Uber to, and which to take the bus. We will be doing rope drop each morning. Any advice??

Is this a pretty reliable option to be allowed in? We have a reservation at trattoria for 735 for 10a opening at HS but I think wed rather mobile order QS if thats an option!
It worked for us. We did the same thing at the Contemporary Resort at Contempo Cafe the next day. The person at the gate did a bit of an eye roll, but let us in there too.

Checked into poly for one night, it is absolutely dead.. leisure pool empty day and night.lava pool was nice maybe 10-15 groups of people most of last night. Got capt cooks and only able to step inside with mobile order, I was surprised they didn’t even allow to pick up a small milk for the kids in the am. Glad I was only there for a day / one night. This was my first dvc trip and it took over 24 hrs to hear “ welcome home”. I got the beach club and marketplace was completely different they allowed people in to shop like usual. I understand the rest of the resort is not closed like the poly is.. but the staff was totally different.

Checked into poly for one night, it is absolutely dead.. leisure pool empty day and night.lava pool was nice maybe 10-15 groups of people most of last night. Got capt cooks and only able to step inside with mobile order, I was surprised they didn’t even allow to pick up a small milk for the kids in the am. Glad I was only there for a day / one night. This was my first dvc trip and it took over 24 hrs to hear “ welcome home”. I got the beach club and marketplace was completely different they allowed people in to shop like usual. I understand the rest of the resort is not closed like the poly is.. but the staff was totally different.

Beach Club Villas is open, but Beach Club regular hotel is still closed. (Yacht Club is open.)

BC Marketplace is in an actual store, though. Captain Cooks is just a QS so not surprised the two are different.

Are people taking Ubers to boardwalk because you can’t Uber to HS anymore? Or is it because an Uber won’t drop you off at the park earlier than 10?

Are people taking Ubers to boardwalk because you can’t Uber to HS anymore? Or is it because an Uber won’t drop you off at the park earlier than 10?
Uber has to take the same route as regular cars so they have to wait at the toll plaza with everyone else until it opens, people are choosing being dropped off at the epcot resorts or the gas station early and then walking over and waiting

You can Uber to HS still, but you will be waiting at the parking toll plaza until they let cars in, which is later than when the “walkers” from the Boardwalk arrive at park entrance. Probably a difference of dozens of families already in front of the arriving cars.

We are staying at Animal Kingdom Kidani for first half of Thanksgiving week. We will have a car. I’m trying to figure out which parks we should drive to, which to Uber to, and which to take the bus. We will be doing rope drop each morning. Any advice??
I think you should Uber to Boardwalk/YC/BC for HS, Uber to Contemporary Resort for walk to MK, and I think you can drive or bus to the others. I think buses get you to AK a bit earlier than cars.

If crowds are that concerning, now is the time to take a good look at your comfort level. Parks have already increased capacity. If this is not comfortable to you then possibly rescheduling your trip until later will give you the breathing space you need. Thanksgiving is notoriously busy at Disney and within the new guidelines, this year will be no different. I would ask myself if I will be comfortable if the parks are as busy as they are allowed to be? You are paying a lot of money if you’re thinking you’ll spend your time overwhelmed and frightened and possibly leaving the parks if you feel they’re too crowded for your comfort level.

Thanks much for the reply. I appreciate it. We're Thanksgiving week DW vets for more than a decade and have even travelled during Christmas through New Years, so I'm confident of our ability to manage and tour accordingly. But seeing Disney during this Thanksgiving week will be one for the record books for sure and I am curious to see how the parks look at 35% capacity without fast pass during this notoriously busy time!

The "staff"??
Most of the Cast Members right now are working long hours and 6 days, please be kind to them. They are upset that many of their friends who were part-time or casual were laid off and they are dealing with new people from other areas. Their world has changed quite a bit recently and many of the CM's are in roles they never imagined or may not have wanted to be in, so it may take awhile for Disney to get back to normal.

Just curious for people who have gone down to Disney World - do any of you regret going? If so why? Did you get sick after? Lack of activities in the parks?

We have a trip scheduled in early December. We have read a lot about the safety of flying and how good Disney is being about COVID in the parks. Still with the increase in cases across the country we are debating canceling our trip. We have been cautious during the pandemic - not gathering with others and wearing masks. We know that going to the parks is risker than what we have been doing. We are fairly comfortable taking the risk as we are healthy and will self isolate upon our return so not to spread to others should we get sick. We are just curious what people who have gone - particularly if you are traveling from out of state - feel about having made the decision to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter