You think it will greatly change the demand to get to DHS at RD? *shrug* .. If it was me .. I'd still want to get to DHS earlier than Rope Drop just to rush to get on MMRR, MFSR or SDD before the lines get long. The BG change just gives people the relaxing freedom of not having to worry about being on your phone right at 10:00 AM while inside the park trying to do something else.

So .. sure .. some people now may not worry about getting to DHS early, but at the same time with 3 other very new and very popular rides, the park will still be in high demand to get there as early as possible.
While I don't disagree, I now thing DHS RD will look more like the rest of the parks. People will have the best of intentions to be there early but if they're a bit later, no big loss. Right now that isn't the case as you have to be tapped into the park to get a boarding group. Yes, there will still be people wanting to be there for park opening but I don't think we'll see the crush of people or, people lining up 3 hours before rope drop at the Skyliner. Right now the line for the Skyliner is hundreds and hundreds of people long 2 hours before DHS opens! Personally I don't think the demand will be as high to be in line that early starting tomorrow but I guess only time will tell. We'll have to wait for reports from people who are staying at Pop and AoA to find out what the lines for Skyliner are like.

While I don't disagree, I now thing DHS RD will look more like the rest of the parks. People will have the best of intentions to be there early but if they're a bit later, no big loss. Right now that isn't the case as you have to be tapped into the park to get a boarding group. Yes, there will still be people wanting to be there for park opening but I don't think we'll see the crush of people or, people lining up 3 hours before rope drop at the Skyliner. Right now the line for the Skyliner is hundreds and hundreds of people long 2 hours before DHS opens! Personally I don't think the demand will be as high to be in line that early starting tomorrow but I guess only time will tell. We'll have to wait for reports from people who are staying at Pop and AoA to find out what the lines for Skyliner are like.
Wow .. perhaps you are right .. I didn't realize it was that bad.

!!!!! the line was hundreds of people long 2 hours before DHS opens?? And that was just for Pop Century guests? Yikes. I assume though .. it goes a lot quicker than say waiting for the bus since it is constantly loading.

Is the Skyliner running not at capacity modified due to social distancing? Or just not starting early enough?

My main "fear" of going during this mess is less about wearing masks and closed attractions, but more about the trip being "disrupted" by long waits for transportation (which normally is a huge plus for staying onsite).

Wow .. perhaps you are right .. I didn't realize it was that bad.

!!!!! the line was hundreds of people long 2 hours before DHS opens?? And that was just for Pop Century guests? Yikes. I assume though .. it goes a lot quicker than say waiting for the bus since it is constantly loading.

Is the Skyliner running not at capacity modified due to social distancing? Or just not starting early enough?

My main "fear" of going during this mess is less about wearing masks and closed attractions, but more about the trip being "disrupted" by long waits for transportation (which normally is a huge plus for staying onsite).

The Skyliner only starts running about an hour before park opening. So people were lining up an hour+ before it even started running.

So .. for those who have gone .. are the bus waits as crazy as expected? If we drive, should we just take our own car to the parks?

We drove and only used our car some of the time to ensure we arrived early (especially for DHS).

Sun - DS - bus
Mon - AK - drove
Tues - DHS - drove
Wed - EP - bus
Thurs - visited RIV - drove to DHS and took skyliner to RIV
Fri - MK - bus
Sat - AK - bus
Sun - DHS - drove

We had good success using the bus, but did not rely on it to make RD at DHS. Too much at stake getting there early for a BG.

Of course, that will now change. If you've already got a BG from your resort at 7 am, taking the bus, skyliner, etc. won't have the same pressure. If you're a little late, the line for MMRR might be longer, but you won't have missed out on a ROTR BG.

We drove and only used our car some of the time to ensure we arrived early (especially for DHS).

Sun - DS - bus
Mon - AK - drove
Tues - DHS - drove
Wed - EP - bus
Thurs - visited RIV - drove to DHS and took skyliner to RIV
Fri - MK - bus
Sat - AK - bus
Sun - DHS - drove

We had good success using the bus, but did not rely on it to make RD at DHS. Too much at stake getting there early for a BG.

Of course, that will now change. If you've already got a BG from your resort at 7 am, taking the bus, skyliner, etc. won't have the same pressure. If you're a little late, the line for MMRR might be longer, but you won't have missed out on a ROTR BG.
Thanks .. the main reason I wanted to stay at AoA .. was the "fun" of the skyliner, and the "pressure" of getting to DHS on time will be less for sure thanks to the new BG change. Still may drive .. (figure the WDW roads are less crowded with less people "in" the resort).

Just figure that if there is a long wait for a bus, the kids are less "antsy" waiting in line for a bus compared to just driving ..and walking. Even though it may take the same amount of time to get there .. there is less waiting in a line to start the day where they'll have to wait in a line a lot :) (especially without FP)

Another question -- what's the "window" for a BG? Like if you got into a long line for SDD, MMRR, or MFSR . would you have to get out of that line to make your Boarding Group time?

For those who have used Uber/Lyft to go to parks/resorts do you feel safe doing so?
We did it three times and it was a mixed bag. Twice we had uneventful rides with masked drivers. The third time, our driver pulled his mask below his chin the whole ride, talked a bunch with his mask off while driving (and coughed a few times, ick), and didn't keep his distance (e.g., he insisted on folding the middle-row seat to let the kids out the back row when I said I'd do it), which put him in a position to be right up next to the kids. I guess it's like anything else--some people aren't really mindful and you won't know until you are in the car and it's too late. Made me feel uncomfortable with taking the risk again so we didn't use lyft/uber again.

So .. for those who have gone .. are the bus waits as crazy as expected? If we drive, should we just take our own car to the parks?

What about the Skyliner? How long of waits is that for RopeDrop to DHS or Epcot?

How are waits for things like the monorail and boat at the TTC?

Just curious how I should plan a trip in January (AoA). I may drive to the farther away parks (MK/AK) .. besides the kids have never experienced going on the boat.

Only holding a few parties per bus makes sense, but seems like it will just be horribly long waits for buses unless they have them lined up ready to go at each resort.
I think it makes a big difference what resort you are on and what time you are going. Deluxe hotels have fewer rooms and seem to be running at lower occupancy at the moment (at GF, we were told it was only 30% occupied) and I think that makes a big differences for bus waits--we never had bad waits to or from the parks. But I noticed when leaving the parks at peak times that our bus stop always had a MUCH shorter line than the mods and values; again I think just because the number of people was so different. I remember this one time at Epcot about an hour after closing, the line for Pop was almost all the way back to the park exit gate in the rain (i.e., hundreds, maybe even over a thousand people long), whereas I was literally the only person on the bus for Riviera. I even asked my bus driver if we could give a ride to some of the Pop people, but it was against rules. However, when we left for midday breaks (i.e., not peak times) all the lines were small-to-nonexistent at all the bus stops.

I think it makes a big difference what resort you are on and what time you are going. Deluxe hotels have fewer rooms and seem to be running at lower occupancy at the moment (at GF, we were told it was only 30% occupied) and I think that makes a big differences for bus waits--we never had bad waits to or from the parks. But I noticed when leaving the parks at peak times that our bus stop always had a MUCH shorter line than the mods and values; again I think just because the number of people was so different. I remember this one time at Epcot about an hour after closing, the line for Pop was almost all the way back to the park exit gate in the rain (i.e., hundreds, maybe even over a thousand people long), whereas I was literally the only person on the bus for Riviera. I even asked my bus driver if we could give a ride to some of the Pop people, but it was against rules. However, when we left for midday breaks (i.e., not peak times) all the lines were small-to-nonexistent at all the bus stops.
This is a factor. We were at Animal Kingdom (Jambo House) where only the 5th floor DVC villas were occupied (and probably not 100% of those). So we usually had only 1 or 2 other families on the bus with us. The only wait was for the bus to get there and that was usually a pretty short wait.

Another question -- what's the "window" for a BG? Like if you got into a long line for SDD, MMRR, or MFSR . would you have to get out of that line to make your Boarding Group time?

Right now it's a 1 hour window. Remains to be seen if that will change at all with the new process starting tomorrow...

Tried to read entire thread...sorry if this has been answered before.

We got DD a couple nights at BCV for her 21st birthday. Not sure what time to tell her to get to Epcot if she wants to ride Test Track first thing. Any advice for those who have been to Epcot recently as to what time they are letting people through the turnstiles at International Gateway and what time they are starting to run attractions?

DD and I would do this every trip when it was at DHS! Is there a schedule of times somewhere? Do you have to sign up in advance? Sounds like it’s over at Conservation Station?
There is a schedule on the entertainment part of mde. It is inside the conservation station, so allow enough time for the train and a possible line due to limits on the train.

Tried to read entire thread...sorry if this has been answered before.

We got DD a couple nights at BCV for her 21st birthday. Not sure what time to tell her to get to Epcot if she wants to ride Test Track first thing. Any advice for those who have been to Epcot recently as to what time they are letting people through the turnstiles at International Gateway and what time they are starting to run attractions?

Depends on your opening time for Epcot and the day of week. We were there from 10/7-16/20 and went to EPCOT on 4 different days. Our arrival time (11:00 a.m. opening) was 9:45 - 10:00 a.m. Three of the four days that placed us near the front of the queue waiting for screening and bag check. On the 4th day (a Friday) the queue was all the way over the bridge between BC and BWI. Granted it moved quickly BUT being that far back would not place you in a good location to hit up the rides without a lengthy wait. Our experiences found that they began screening around 10:15 a.m. and we were on our way through the tapstiles by 10:30 a.m. give or take 5 minutes and depending upon the crowd size. On the Friday, however, it opened closer to 10:00 a.m. and, again, guessing that was due to the huge queue.

Our strategy for rides worked every 3 of the 4 days we were there and we did not wait to ride. In fact, we were first in the queue and on TT but then it was also our first evacuation--the ride went down just as we went into the second "test". Evac was interesting and we were given a FP which we used that night. Two other days we rope dropped Soarin' and, again, in the first group to ride.

What I have found interesting this trip is that the International Gateway people are getting to the rides before those coming in the front. Since we didn't enter from the front--I have no idea why those guests were not arriving at the rides more quickly than the International Gate folks and I have to guess that they were not admitted as early as the IG entrance.

Just back from a great week at CBR last week! I put my thoughts on CBR in the CBR FAQ thread, and posted my dining thoughts on the Dining forum. I’ll keep this post to my park experiences.

First, one thing I mentioned on the dining forum is that you’re at a disadvantage if you don’t have a current smart phone. By current, I mean one that can download current software to ensure an up-to-date MDE. We used our smart phones to check into TS meals, scan QR codes to view all menus, mobile order, check wait times, obtain ROTR boarding group, check status of said boarding group, check our room balance. We relied on the app more than we ever have on prior trips.

Second, we saw many people checking with TS restaurants while we were waiting to see if they were taking walk-ups. None were.

Third, something I guess I didn’t consider and didn’t really see mentioned is that ride queues are mostly *outside*. It seems they are trying to use as little of the indoor queue space as they can, so the queues have been extended outdoors quite a bit into makeshift roped off areas. This allows for additional social distancing as well as making the majority of your wait outdoors rather than indoors, which many find to be safer. BUT this does mean you will be waiting in the direct sunlight or in the pouring rain, potentially. We saw a lot of people with umbrellas just for shade when it wasn’t raining. I was a sweaty mess with no reprieve in the queue since I was still outside. It wasn’t until we got closer to the indoor entrances that there were fans or some kind of shade covering. The weather this week is much more tolerable, but something to consider that we didn’t adequately prepare for.

Epcot:
  • Got to the Skyliner around 10am. Made it to the IG entrance by 10:15 and had no wait whatsoever. We walked briskly to Test Track and there was a posted 75 minute wait, which had jumped up from 45 minutes while we were in line. Our actual wait at that time was closer to 35 minutes, and we were off the ride right around 11am, which was official park opening.
  • After Test Track, DH did Mission Space. He got in line with a posted 10 minute wait, but ended up waiting closer to 25 minutes. He had a whole car to himself which he enjoyed.
  • Had lunch at Regal Eagle which was great, not crowded at all.
  • At some point mid-afternoon, we did Soarin with a 40 minute wait. We would have waited about 20 minutes, but hit a cleaning cycle right before boarding.
  • We did Frozen Ever After right before park closing. Posted 75 minute wait, was really more of a 25 minute wait.
  • Figment, Living with the Land, and Nemo all had about a 10 minute wait. Not sure what posted time was. Spaceship Earth was about a 15 minute wait with a 30 minute posted time.
  • Noticed that the app wait times were often slightly longer than the posted times at the ride. Not sure if it was coincidence and I just caught the time adjustment when we got to the queue, or if that’s intentional.
  • Had dinner at Teppan Edo – great meal, not sure if the experience was watered down because it was our first time there. They tables are still communal but they had plastic dividers up to separate us from the party next to us.
  • This was a Sunday so Epcot was open until 9pm. We left the park on the Skyliner around 3:30pm and came back around 6:30pm for our dinner ADR. This was the only park where we were able to take a midday break because of the extended hours.
Magic Kingdom:
  • I struggled trying to decide if we should take the bus from CBR or Uber. Posted park opening was 9am and I knew the park would be opening around 8:15-8:30.
  • Got to the Jamaica bus stop at CBR at 7:25. Already two other families waiting. Bus signs said buses start running at 8:30. One of the other families told us the first bus the day prior arrived right at 8:30. By 7:50, there was at least 6 other families waiting at the bus stop with us. Not know who was going where and how people would be with respecting who was there first (there are not formal queues at the bus stop), we decided to abort and call an Uber.
  • Uber was there within minutes and we were dropped off at the TTC ride share drop off by 8:20am. There were maybe 30 people in line ahead of us at that point.
  • Around 8:30, they let us move through the temperature scanners. About 80 people in total in line at TTC. We made our way to the monorail and were on the first monorail of the day. The ferry was also running, and we were told buses would be running from TTC to MK but they hadn’t started yet. We were walking into MK by 8:40.
  • We made our way back to Frontierland hoping to ride Splash yet. It wasn’t open yet, so we did BTMRR. When we got off, Splash was still down, but a small queue started forming so we got in line. Waited about 15 minutes, and it finally opened.
  • Space was about a 15 minute wait all day which blew my mind. We waited no longer than 10 minutes. Mine Train was down in the morning as well, but it was about a 45 minute wait all day which I thought was manageable.
  • All other rides we did that day, our actual wait was 25 minutes or less. The longest wait we had was Pirates, around 30 minutes.
  • Great lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern!
  • Took the bus back to the resort around 3pm and there was room to spare on it.
Animal Kingdom:
  • We made the decision to Uber to AK rather than do the bus depot dance again. Called the Uber at 8:15 because I didn’t want to run the risk of the parking lot not being open. We got there about 8:40, waited in a line at temp check, and were on our way to Pandora by 8:53. FOP had a 45 minute posted wait, we waited about 25 minutes.
  • Safari was essentially walk-on. Everest wait was less than 10 minutes in the afternoon Dinosaur had about a 15 minute actual wait in the afternoon.
  • Animal trails had socially distanced queues formed, particularly in the gorilla area which was not very active. This was done to prevent people from congregating too closely or for too long. If you enjoy hanging out and watching the gorillas for a while like we do, it was not happening on this trip.
  • Great lunch at Yak & Yeti! Lots of specials not on the menu. Reservations or a Landry’s priority seating card were a must.
  • Left AK around 3pm on the bus, got the last seat on it!
DHS:
We did two DHS days.
Day One:
  • Got to the Skyliner at 8:07am. The gates just past the Joffrey’s stand were still closed and the line was backed up to the Skyliner bus depot. They brought us up to the platform around 8:30am and started running the Skyliner right at 9am. We got into the gondola at 9:14am, and were walking into DHS by 9:25ish. We made our way to MMRR which had a 45 minute posted wait. Our actual wait was about 30 minutes, and I know this to be true because I was obtaining a ROTR boarding group as I was putting my left leg into the ride vehicle!
  • Got boarding group 11 for ROTR, estimated 75 minute wait for it to be called.
  • Made our way to Oga’s Cantina for 10:15 reservation. Really nice to be in there and see the whole place without being elbow to elbow with others.
  • While in Oga’s, they called our boarding group – it was about 10:30am.
  • Wait times were considerably longer than the other parks – 30ish minutes actual wait times for RnRC and TOT, 25 mins for Star Tours, 25 mins for TSMM. Skipped Aliens, Slinky Dog, Smugglers Run and Muppets due to timing.
  • Left for the day around 4pm. Took the Skyliner back to the area around 7pm for a Beaches & Cream reservation. Skyliner was closed when we were done, so we took an Uber back.
Day Two:
  • Got to the Skyliner about 8:10am. The line was a little further back this time, just past the bus depot.
  • Brought up to the platform around 8:30, started running the Skyliner at 8:45. Had a wait at the temp checks when we arrived, but were in the park by 9:05.
  • Went straight to Slinky Dog and had a 15 minute wait, then to Aliens which was walk-on, then to Smuggler’s Run with a 15 minute wait. We were walking out of Smugglers at 9:55 so we stood to the side to obtain a ROTR boarding group. Got group 15 this time.
  • Did Muppets at 10am – I recommend doing it early because it consistently had a 35-45+ minute wait later in the day due to social distancing.
  • We only wanted to do a half day at DHS so after our boarding group was called (about 11am), we just grabbed lunch at Backlot Express and then went back to CBR for a swim. It was HOT last week!
  • Would have liked to ride TOT or RnRC again, but posted waits were too long (45+ minutes).
Disney Springs:
  • Went three times since there wasn’t much else to do in the evenings. Took Ubers there each time to avoid bus roulette, and took the bus back when it didn’t matter how long we had to wait. 2 of the 3 times, we got on the next bus that pulled up. Once we didn’t fit and had to wait about 25 minutes for a second bus.
  • Disney Springs is very noticeably busier in the evenings than it ever has been. DHS and Disney Springs were the two most crowded places we went.
  • Got a Ghiradelli sundae but there is very limited seating. Had to sit on a bench near Goofy’s. The current set up and crowds would not be conducive to a family with small kids trying to enjoy ice cream.
  • I was not prepared for the massive line to just get into the World of Disney store. You walk all the way down a sidewalk, it loops around, and they bring you in a back door for crowd control. It took about 15 minutes to get through the one time we did it. The second time we did it, we were at Disney Springs around 3pm and the line hadn’t formed yet and we were able to go in the normal entrance. Disney Springs in general was considerably less crowded when we were there around 3pm as well.
  • I know some people think it’s a glorified mall, but there’s some great dining options and unique shopping. We do all our souvenir shopping there so we’re not spending park time in the stores. We also enjoy stopping at the different bars for a drink. LOVED the outdoor bar at Splitsville with the live music – the duo we saw was great.
Overall, we had a great trip. I would not recommend the current environment to first timers or those who can only go once every few years – it was not the same experience. We’re glad we went, as people who usually visit annually. Some of the experiences were unique in a positive way (i.e. getting to have your own ride vehicle on most rides), and other experiences weren’t that great (waiting in the sun, limited menus). I don’t think its necessary at all to avoid the Skyliner in the morning to DHS if you’re staying at CBR, and would highly suggest Uber or driving your own car to any park you’d otherwise have to bus to – at least in the morning.

Happy to answer any questions!

Since you’ve asked, if it were me I would take the bus from AoA. We have stayed at Pop more than 30 times and the buses have never failed us.

I think the key to rope dropping is your willingness to arrive early either at the bus stop (if it were me, 90 mins before park opening) or driving to the TTC. I really don’t think there is an easy way to sleep as late as possible and still rope drop without stress. I’d rather wait in a line 90 mins before rope drop and knock out numerous attractions at RD than wait and have a short line at the resort but then spend longer times in line waiting in attraction lines.

My comment in my first post is referring to the option of driving to the TTC and taking a bus from the TTC to MK. That is also an option I’ve heard works well right now.

our motto for Disney trips is to arrive at the parks as early as we can. We can always sleep after our trip! 😊

Oh, I totally agree . . . I'm a rope dropper all the way lol! I'm more curious about the best way to accomplish that given the current situation. I think, honestly, DD and I would prefer to take the bus. That's where my comfort zone lies as far as getting around. And getting in line at 7:30 a.m. doesn't sound all that bad anyway. Thanks for your advice! :thumbsup2

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. We’re here now and was wondering if there’s a survey we’re going to get regarding the mask policy or if there’s somewhere to leave feedback? I’m fine wearing the mask and all but I have seen and overheard some inappropriate comments from cast members to guests.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. We’re here now and was wondering if there’s a survey we’re going to get regarding the mask policy or if there’s somewhere to leave feedback? I’m fine wearing the mask and all but I have seen and overheard some inappropriate comments from cast members to guests.
I believe the best way is to go to guest services for that. I did receive a survey afterwards but not on the policies.

If you want to comment on the CM comments, OK, but if you are wanting to debate the mask policy, I wouldn't. That's just part of the experience right now.

I believe the best way is to go to guest services for that. I did receive a survey afterwards but not on the policies.
Thank you! I'll write them an email when I get home then.

If you want to comment on the CM comments, OK, but if you are wanting to debate the mask policy, I wouldn't. That's just part of the experience right now.
Like I said I'm fine wearing a mask. But I watched a CM go up to a small child and tell him he was "responsible for people dying" because his mask slipped below his nose while he was running around and playing with his sister on the grass outside our resort. Wether you're for masks or not I think that's completely inappropriate to say, just tell him to pull his mask up, and I've caught a couple of other abrasive/rude comments CMs have said to guests regarding masks.

Thank you! I'll write them an email when I get home then.

I watched a CM go up to a small child and tell him he was "responsible for people dying" because his mask slipped below his nose while he was running around and playing with his sister on the grass outside our resort. I think that's completely inappropriate to say, just tell him to pull his mask up, and I've caught a couple of other abrasive/rude comments CMs have said to guests regarding masks.

If that was my child, I would demand the CM's name and report that incident immediately. Glad to know this is happening. I'll keep and eye and ear out for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter