Are there August Activities Calendars for the resorts right now? I haven't been able to find any of them posted online.
I looked at the CBR pool the first day and the only thing on the calendar was the nights they are having movies under the stars. The one afternoon we were at the feature pool the cast member was doing trivia. I don't think they can do games and other projects since people would have to touch the supplies or be too close.

No you don't....(wish you could talk to her). I've been talking to her for years and it doesn't really go far...LOL!:rotfl2:

In some families, it depends who makes the suggestion. If your family is like that, then it won’t work if you make the suggestion, but it might work if it comes from a grandchild or from someone who is not related.

Would your mother use a rolling walker, my daughter also has problems standing in place and it's what she uses in the park. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Fold...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
I'll see, I already sent her some info on the other ideas and she's not really amenable to much advice thus far. I will be pretty pregnant on this trip though and was thinking I could rent the scooter for myself (wink wink) and let her borrow it every once in awhile. That might be my best bet!

I'll see, I already sent her some info on the other ideas and she's not really amenable to much advice thus far. I will be pretty pregnant on this trip though and was thinking I could rent the scooter for myself (wink wink) and let her borrow it every once in awhile. That might be my best bet!
This might be the best idea. You can ask her to drive it so that you can "stretch your legs" 😉

There are a lot of us out here with bad knees and hard heads. We should rent a scooter but fight it. If it is a knee issue, has she been to an orthopedic surgeon? There are injections and other treatments short of surgery that may help. They've helped me a lot and I'm able to tour the parks pain free now. It never hurts to know your options. I agree, there needs to be more seating options in the parks.

With so many reports already I’m not sure if mine will have value anymore but here is my “just back” report. We did a very quick trip Thurs-Mon with a late arrival and early departure so really just three days. Due to a long story I won’t get into with our plans changing over and over and joining friends onsite we had a three way split stay: two nights at the Swan, one night Contemporary GW, one night Bay Lake Tower studio. We went to HS, AK, and MK. We did not take Disney transportation except the monorail, we drove our own car or walked to the parks but our friends took the bus to MK from the Swan and said they were very comfortable and did not wait long either way. For a little background on us, we have not left the house much since late March. We have not eaten inside a restaurant since March before this trip. Although our area does not have a mandatory mask order, we do wear them when we go out but we really don’t go out enough to wear them for long periods of time. Our impressions:

Swan: we got an amazing rate so decided to try it for the first time. I was concerned because I had read some negative things about crowds, long waits for elevators, and poor mask compliance. When we arrived around 6 for check in the lobby was empty, but funnily enough the first people we saw were a family who appeared dressed up for dinner walking through the lobby towards the parking lot completely maskless. It was not a great start, but we did find the mask compliance overall during our stay was about on par with the Disney resorts we stayed at which is to say good for the most part with some minor exceptions (mostly in the evening). Java was great for coffee and small meals. Loved that it opened at 6 am. The pool was lovely and not crowded. We only experienced issues with long elevator waits during high travel times such as opening and closing of HS. Il Mulino was also very good with good spacing between tables and the food was delicious. They also did take out orders quite late (until 11) which was wonderful because many of the restaurants particularly in the Crescent Lake area are closed or close early.

Contemporary: we had not stayed here before but always wanted to. We requested our room to be available at 7 am but it wasn’t ready until almost 4 pm which was kind of a bummer on a one night stay and left us homeless for quite some time which is more uncomfortable than usual wearing masks in the intense heat. Again, as we walked up to our room for the first time we encountered an entire maskless family in the lobby—strange for this to happen during both check in times as it was not the norm. Our room was very nice. The feature pool was a bit more crowded than I liked at 3pm but not unreasonable. The bullseye pool was fairly empty and we set up there for a little while before our California Grill reservation. California Grill was delicious and I’m a bit embarrassed to say that we ate there twice because the trip was for my daughters birthday and it was her favorite. I made the reservations for sunset times since there were no fireworks. Unfortunately both times we were sat in a small back room with no sunset view. I complained the second night and we were begrudgingly moved. The service was excellent the first night and exceptionally poor the second so much so that we cancelled our reservation there for our upcoming trip. Spacing was good between the tables, however. We had breakfast at Contempo Cafe the next day. Mobile order was quick and easy but our food was terrible. We had oatmeal and fruit and the fruit was sour-ish like it had started to turn while the oatmeal tasted burnt. I probably should have complained but I didn’t because the cast members were all trying so hard and I felt for them with their masks and face shields...our friends had breakfast sandwiches and they said theirs were good.

BLT: our first time here as well. We are brand new DVC and added a last minute night in a standard studio. It was awesome, clean, with a lovely view of Space MT and Bay Lake. It was actually ready earlier than I expected at 12:30 pm. We REALLY loved our stay here. CMs were very friendly from the lobby staff, to housekeeping, to the lifeguards at the pool, and the bartender at the Cove bar.

the Parks: like others have said, we were impressed with the guidelines Disney has put in place and if the guests follow them, they will be as “safe” as you can be visiting a theme park. The problem is that there are guests (rare, but they are there) who are intent on NOT following them. Examples: a young couple who pushed ahead of us in the queue for FOP—we thought they were trying to join their party but they were really just pushing as far up as they could (and we were pretty far into the line not towards the end), they didn’t mind the social distancing markers and I eventually noticed that they both had rough holes sliced into their masks like by scissors or a knife—it was honestly pretty shocking behavior. We rode FOP again and the man that was put in the room with us hopped two spots closer to us (CM didn’t say a word) and then took his mask off for the whole ride. We stopped riding FOP. Another example: BTM a family of four was behind us and the mother keep blowing through the social distancing markers and was inches from my back for most of the queue. Also her kids were pushing us. I started staring her down and she backed off a little but kept creeping up when I didn’t directly stare. On the monorail one time a family did not listen to the CM about the car they were meant to go in and came into the car with us...they were not told to leave and we were pretty uncomfortable the rest of the ride. On Astro orbiter, a teen girl kept completely taking her mask off and was not told to put it back on. It was the evening and I think the CMs were weary. In every park noses came out of the masks in the evening—more parties had at least one person with their nose out than not. I think people intend to follow the rules but it’s easy to overdo it in the heat especially if you don’t take breaks. I wish people would be honest with themselves, take breaks, and recognize their limits and utilize the relaxation areas but I rarely saw them used. I did hear CM tell people to put on their masks for pictures etc, but again as the day wore on the reminders tended to get less. I felt bad for the CM with their masks and face shields on top of it—great for keeping us safe but they have to get soooo HOT. It sounds like I’m being negative but our experience was actually good overall and mask compliance by most was very good earlier in the day except by those completely intent on breaking it.

Take aways: Plan your meals: mobile orders are GREAT but seating can sometimes be a problem with social distancing we had a very hard time finding a table at Satuli Canteen. Table service was far less stressful. I’d make at least one table service ADR per day. Take breaks—if you don’t in this heat you’ll eventually hit a wall. Your heat tolerance will be far worse in a mask too, so plan breaks for sure! Drink LOTS of water. More than you think you’ll need. Wait times were all far shorter than what was posted, so don’t be intimidated by them if they seem long. Last tip: the social distancing markers in some of the queues can have random odd spacing between them at certain points. Because of that it can be easy to get trapped between them when the line is moving and suddenly stops. Keep your eye on the feet of the party in front of you and don’t move from your marker until they’ve reached theirs. It will make more sense when you see it if you haven’t already. If you’ve held on with me through this whole post you rock because I had a lot to say, lol! We really had a great time and it was nice to be back.

We just got back from a full week out there. It was undeniably hot and I will avoid August in the future, but it didn't ruin our trip. Masks were not fun to have to wear, but again, not trip ruining and we were ok. We were really happy to be there and for the most part had a great time. Just had to go with the flow for a lot of things not open, not operating, limited capacity, closing early, etc. Lines were longer and parks busier than I would have thought after reading about others' experiences, but still MUCH shorter/lower than we would have experienced during a normal trip. We went on pretty much everything we wanted to go on each day, at each park.

It's was definitely a memorable trip and we have tons of mask-on pictures to remind us of our "great pandemic WDW trip of 2020."

Summary of pros/cons:

• Pros
    • Shorter Lines
    • Lower crowd levels
    • Pools were great
    • Cast Members were excellent, as usual
    • Most food was great
    • Most people were respectful and good about mask wearing and social distancing, and everyone was happy to be there
    • More mobile ordering (I love mobile ordering)
    • Hand sanitizer everywhere (this should remain permanently)
    • 30% AP Merch Discount was freaking phenomenal. I saved literally hundreds of dollars.
    • WE GOT TO BE AT DISNEY WORLD
  • Cons (while there are many more, they still don't outweigh the pros and we're really glad we went!)
    • Mask wearing is not fun, but not world-ending. Biggest impacts from masks are:
      • Hearing each other -- too often I was trying to have a conversation with a CM and we're both wearing masks and they're behind plexiglass
      • Pictures -- others seem to be good at it, but I'm not good at smiling with my eyes. Even though I was smiling, I look irritated or mad in a lot of my pictures.
      • Ear fatigue -- I actually found an ear-saver on the ground and ended up sanitizing it and using it the rest of my trip -- it was a life (ear!) saver!
      • Where to put it when taking it off -- I recommend getting a binky lanyard of some kind to hold your mask when taking it off. No good places in the bathroom or a restaurant to put your mask.
      • If you have a larger face and/or beard, make sure you have your comfortable masks before you come in the parks. I searched for 5 of my 8 days for an XL disney mask and couldn't find any. They're very rare! Even once I found them, they're sized inconsistently and only 1 of the 2 I bought fit me.
      • Once in a while it did feel a little suffocating. During those times, it helped to pull it away from your face a little (not to the side, and not off) when breathing in, then back on your face when breathing out so it can do the job it was intended to do.
    • Transportation -- it was extremely difficult to get home to BLT after we had dinner at Riviera and Wilderness Lodge. On both occasions a CM had to make a "special exception" to get us home.
      • Bay Lake Boat Transportation loop (Contemporary/WL/Ft. Wilderness) was closed
      • Epcot Monorail Closed
      • Bus transportation was awkward with social distancing, and Contemporary bus stop did poor job and enforcing first-come-first serve, so a lot of people would jump ahead to get on the next bus.
      • Usually my solution involved getting back to MK then walking home from there, but they said they weren't allowed to bring guests to MK after park close, which was at 7, and that was usually after we had finished dinner.
      • My backup plan was to take a bus to the springs then a bus to BLT, luckily did not have to do that.
    • TOTWL at BLT Closed
    • Electric Water Pageant Closed (I think I missed this the most, out of everything)
    • While I like mobile ordering, they had a glitch where they would cancel your order if you didn't complete it with a certain amount of time. I lost a few orders this way, even while actively adding things to the order
    • No Fireworks, of course
    • Everything closes too early (parks, pools, restaurants) -- there's nothing to do after 9p
    • QR Codes for Menus got old fast -- I hate using phones at the table
    • No park or resort delivery from gift shops -- minor annoyance if I decided to buy something earlier in the day
    • Lines to get into shops, especially at the end of the day
    • Almost everything is off on Kali River Rapids. We couldn't get wet at all despite going on it three times. They said they didn't want people to get their masks wet.
    • I lost a ROTR boarding group #1 because lightning knocked out the ride the night before 😭
Again, seems like I'm complaining about a lot, but I'm actually really glad we went -- we had a great time and you will too as long as you keep your expectations low and remain easy going while there.

• Almost everything is off on Kali River Rapids. We couldn't get wet at all despite going on it three times. They said they didn't want people to get their masks wet.

Interesting about Kali. I've never been on it because I don't like getting soaked. Did your shoes get wet?

I have a question for the people that have driven to the parks. How early are you allowed into the parking lot? (for all 4 parks)

Transportation -- it was extremely difficult to get home to BLT after we had dinner at Riviera and Wilderness Lodge. On both occasions a CM had to make a "special exception" to get us home.
  • Bay Lake Boat Transportation loop (Contemporary/WL/Ft. Wilderness) was closed
So you are not allowed to take the boat to the MK from Ft Wilderness or from Ft Wilderness to Contemporary/WL?

I second this suggestion too❣These are a great middle step between canes and scooters. I have one of these too and like it for “medium” 😉situations.
now I just gotta talk to your mom❣ Does make me wonder what my DD says about me😎
She'll just argue that the stroller is her rolling walker!

So you are not allowed to take the boat to the MK from Ft Wilderness or from Ft Wilderness to Contemporary/WL?
Correct, for the MK <> resort boats, if it is after MK is closed, they don't accept passengers going back to MK from anywhere.

For the Bay lake boat "loop" where boats normally just go between Ft. wilderness/Contemporary/WL, those aren't running at all.

I just got back from a 10-day stay and I'd go again in a heartbeat. I gave most of my thoughts while I was there so I won't repeat myself, but I wanted to share a few pictures and some final remarks.

I am honestly lost for words thinking about what I felt during this trip. I am probably never going to experience anything like that again - a combination of low to no crowds, early park closures, time of the year, and nice weather made for some truly unforgettable moments. I encourage everyone to stick around a few minutes after close whenever possible. Here are some quick photos.
View attachment 519564 View attachment 519565 View attachment 519567 View attachment 519568 View attachment 519569 View attachment 519570 View attachment 519571 View attachment 519572 View attachment 519573 View attachment 519574
great photos!!! I can't wait to go experience the low crowds!!!

I am here and Epcot was empty today (bonus - no rain yet today but overcast enough to keep the worst of the heat away). Great sales on several lines of merch (F&G, rainbow, neon, summer) and with the AP discount, even better. I like doing mobile ordering with a gift card so much better than a cc. I have never been a big mobile order person but it makes sense right now. No issues at Pop and it does not appear to be busy. Going to MK tomorrow and hoping the crowd levels hold.

Anyone ever see this before?? A wait time posted at a resort?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200819-160519_Disney World.jpg
    Screenshot_20200819-160519_Disney World.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot_20200819-160512_Disney World.jpg
    Screenshot_20200819-160512_Disney World.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 184

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter