They don't actually "charge" your card in additional increments when your spending starts. They just increase the hold amount on the credit card. When we check out we still have one lump charge on the checkout date. That being said, I would go apply the cards the day before checkout. Our last two trips they had already charged our card, and they did take the gift cards, apply them, and issue a partial refund to the credit card. But it took a LONG time for that refund to hit.
Just a heads up that they will also charge a CC after the first few days of a trip. Possibly 4 or 5? I normally pay off what I'm owing on day 3 and then every 3 days after that to ensure charges are not applied to my cc if I want to pay with gift cards.

Just a heads up that they will also charge a CC after the first few days of a trip. Possibly 4 or 5? I normally pay off what I'm owing on day 3 and then every 3 days after that to ensure charges are not applied to my cc if I want to pay with gift cards.

They haven't done that for my last 4 trips. Some were as long as 7 nights. They increased the holds- but charged the entire total at checkout. idk

Oh boy! Just $100?? It used to be much higher. $500 or $600??? I remember having to visit my resort desk about halfway through our vaca to use my GC to pay the balance. If they're doing it at $100 then that would be a bit of a pain in the neck.
They don't actually "charge" your card in additional increments when your spending starts. They just increase the hold amount on the credit card. When we check out we still have one lump charge on the checkout date. That being said, I would go apply the cards the day before checkout. Our last two trips they had already charged our card, and they did take the gift cards, apply them, and issue a partial refund to the credit card. But it took a LONG time for that refund to hit.
This appears to be a "your mileage may vary" issue since the policy was changed last year. Here are 83 pages worth of discussion: https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-credit-card-authorization-holds.3729383/

It seems to be part luck, part what kind of card you use, perhaps which resort it is, and maybe what your mood ring says. If you are close to your credit limit or are worried about foreign transaction fees or have another reason that I can't think of, it's probably best to be hyper-vigilant about paying room charges every day. I paid my room charges with gift cards for my early July trip and by the time I made the first payment, they'd put the charge through for my initial batch of spending even though it didn't even show as pending on my card at the time when I paid. After I checked out, the charges had gone through but were reversed as a refund, it wasn't just a pre-authorization. This was a Disney Chase if that is at all helpful.

I appreciate this...and I've realized lately that all my anxiety and FOMO about my September trip come down to pretty much the same line of thinking you describe here. My anxiety has spiked pretty hard at a few points this summer (golly gee, wonder why) and I realized I've been looking toward travel as a way to "fix" myself...because it usually works. But instead this time around it's turned into a feedback loop of anxiety as I stress about whether or not I should go, and I'm not positive I won't have the same emotional reaction you did if I go. Or I might enjoy myself, as others have, and come back feeling refreshed. Either way, though, I've been realizing that it's not been good for my mental health to obsess over this trip as the "fix" for my feelings. I still haven't cancelled my reservations and don't plan to make that call until the end of August, but I've been able to let go of it a bit for now and I'm feeling pretty happy about my staycation options (and the money I'll save) if I need to change my plans.

Right now I'm personally satisfied with what I'm hearing about Disney's safety measures and dissatisfied with what I'm hearing about airports and Florida in general. If I cancel it's almost probably to be based on Florida's general response and infection rates rather than on what Disney is doing (unless Disney makes changes for the worse, which I suppose could still happen).

Actual question: I've been seeing reports that Disney Springs has lower mask compliance/feels more crowded/feels more dangerous than the parks. Can folks who have been to DS please continue chiming in with reports and opinions about that?
I did feel like Springs had lower mask compliance. It's still better compared than my grocery store or the airport, but yes, I thought there were more people with masks off. In the parks it often felt like we were out-numbered by Cast Members so it's probably just easier for them to encourage people to wear masks & distance themselves. And you have to remember, the parks are closing a little earlier than normal, so then a lot of people all go to DS. I think that it's extra crowded there because of that & because everything at Springs shuts down at 10pm so people only have a couple hours to eat dinner/shop/hang out.

For those of you who have ventured to WDW since it reopened, was it fun? Is the magic currently gone? Trying to decide whether to make a trip or not before my AP expires in September. The low crowds and short lines seem like it would be a dream, but is it actually just creepy and less exciting? And is it annoying trying to stay away from people, using hand sanitizer constantly, trying to find somewhere to eat distanced from people? Thank you in advance!

For those of you who have ventured to WDW since it reopened, was it fun? Is the magic currently gone? Trying to decide whether to make a trip or not before my AP expires in September. The low crowds and short lines seem like it would be a dream, but is it actually just creepy and less exciting? And is it annoying trying to stay away from people, using hand sanitizer constantly, trying to find somewhere to eat distanced from people? Thank you in advance!
Merged you to the existing thread. Read back on reports
For me personally the parks are still fun but the lack of entertainment is evident especially at epcot
The safety rules are not annoying if you come knowing you have to do them , if you think they'll be an inconvenience i suggest not to come right now

Merged you to the existing thread. Read back on reports
For me personally the parks are still fun but the lack of entertainment is evident especially at epcot
The safety rules are not annoying if you come knowing you have to do them , if you think they'll be an inconvenience i suggest not to come right now

Thank you! I couldn’t find the existing thread. I am fine with the safety rules but wasn’t sure if it feels “worth it” to come now. Also, is there enough to do to keep you busy all day.

Thank you! I couldn’t find the existing thread. I am fine with the safety rules but wasn’t sure if it feels “worth it” to come now. Also, is there enough to do to keep you busy all day.
You will find a whole variety of answers to your question if you read through this thread. Basically, it's personal as each person may feel differently.

While I suspect I may be giving into confirmation bias by paying more attention to the negative replies about DS than the positive ones, it's confirming for me that I'm probably going to be more comfortable if I spend my arrival evening at Epcot instead of going to DS for dinner. I went ahead and grabbed a park pass to make that happen.

I thought Mask compliance was excellent at the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and EPCOT, there were issue at Hollywood studios especially in the line for Mickey's Railroad. We actually complained to cast members and folks would pull up there masks and then immediately pull them back down when the cast members walked away. It was frustrating! In the airport even the gate agents at Southwest and the cleaners had their masks pulled all the way down. People in the waiting area were not really wearing masks or pulling them down. It was disconcerting, but if the employees don't even comply you can't expect people to comply.
Was this at MCO or another airport where people had their masks down?

The roads are still open aren't they? I may need to switch resorts then.

Roads, as in roads with cars? Yes. I always read about people running on WDW roads, but I've never felt comfortable with that myself.

We were there during opening week and did find it magical. Maybe even a little more magical than usual, due to not having to orchestrate our day around FPs, and due to a lack of the crowding that typically puts a damper on everything at WDW. It was a wonderful novelty to have personal space in line. We saw characters at our character dining meals, and in surprise character floats. Mary Poppins saw & waved to us from her float. And the cast members were uber welcoming.

The only drawback for us was the heat. We look forward to returning in March, and enjoying better weather.

Last edited:
This appears to be a "your mileage may vary" issue since the policy was changed last year. Here are 83 pages worth of discussion: https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-credit-card-authorization-holds.3729383/

It seems to be part luck, part what kind of card you use, perhaps which resort it is, and maybe what your mood ring says. If you are close to your credit limit or are worried about foreign transaction fees or have another reason that I can't think of, it's probably best to be hyper-vigilant about paying room charges every day. I paid my room charges with gift cards for my early July trip and by the time I made the first payment, they'd put the charge through for my initial batch of spending even though it didn't even show as pending on my card at the time when I paid. After I checked out, the charges had gone through but were reversed as a refund, it wasn't just a pre-authorization. This was a Disney Chase if that is at all helpful.

Interesting. I have a Disney Chase too with a very high credit limit & we stay DVC on our points. Very peculiar that it isn’t uniform though!

Roads, as in roads with cars? Yes. I always read about people running on WDW roads, but I've never felt comfortable with that myself.
I know the path went a long a road that wasn’t used very much from what I’ve read thats all closed off. It’s a deal breaker for me if that’s the case.

The big things missing are about half the shops, restaurants, and the country entertainment...and of course the international CMs.
WOW!I just saw that a Go Fund Me account has been set up for an organization that has been supplying food to Disney Cultural Representatives who have NEVER been able to secure Flights back home since the Parks were closed!

It says there are still 40 of them in Orlando!

I can't believe Disney hasn't been more helpful to them!

Just shocked to see that.

This is how we feel. We've been a bunch of times over the years and we're honestly looking forward to taking it easy. Normally we're up every day at 7:30 to eat, get ready, and book it out of the door. Our first full day will be Epcot and I can't tell you how excited I am to sleep a little more, go to the pool for a little bit, and then head over to the park without worrying about unmanageable wait times and increasing crowds.

We scored a great deal at the BWV so we're just going to enjoy the resort, the bigger room, and just take our time with everything. It'll be a nice break from sitting in front of our computers all day in our apartment.
THIS! 1000x This!!!!! Due to Covid changes, my 20-something kids can't run me ragged! Yay!
We are in BWV too!

Mid last minute trip update as today will be our only park day.
we went to Epcot. Had a great day. Everything was a walk on. We ate a bunch of festival food. Loved the chicken dumplings and the lobster roll. (Everything we are was good)
There was great social distancing going
We felt very safe

Last edited:
Thank you - this does help. One of my favorite things to do @ WDW is get up before everyone else and go for a run - we are talking pre-sunrise early. I can't imagine anyone would care I was even out there, but happy to know that is the policy.
I switched from WL to Riviera. The lack of Wilderness trail at the Wilderness lodge was a game changer for me. I think you have to be a runner to understand. Thanks to GADisneydad14 for the heads up that saved me a lot of disappointment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter