Regarding security, every park I went to this week, the CMs were announcing that umbrellas should be removed to avoid secondary screening. The one day I took my dSLR into the parks, I also removed that and just hung it from my neck and held it up. I got several thumbs up and comments from the security CMs that made it clear that that also would have sent me to the table.

On the flip side I never removed my small (zipper) sunglass case, my phone (in my pocket) or my portable charger and never had an issue. So those must be shape/size specific?
Could be. I get dinged for my eyeglass case. If I take it out, no problem whatsoever. I used to walk through holding my case open at WDW (here in DC, I pretty much have to open it anywhere I go) and security told me I don't need to do that part, lol.

Last time my oldest DD kept getting sent to the bag check. I think it was a pen she'd purchased at the warehouse store parks). It took us a while to figure that one out.

For those that have used the magical express how have the wait times been at MCO?

Also, are the buses stopping at multiple resorts?

Thinking of ditching the ME and just grabbing an Uber XL for a direct, no nonsense ride.

Heading down in 17 days.

Could be. I get dinged for my eyeglass case. If I take it out, no problem whatsoever. I used to walk through holding my case open at WDW (here in DC, I pretty much have to open it anywhere I go) and security told me I don't need to do that part, lol.

Last time my oldest DD kept getting sent to the bag check. I think it was a pen she'd purchased at the warehouse store parks). It took us a while to figure that one out.
The security people told me the metal coil/hinge where the eyeglass case opens/closes was the issue on it. When I had a fabric case, it wasn't an issue. Not sure why that little coil would set stuff off but it did!

Enormous crowd at Fireworks at MK last night. We were is grassy area in front of Casey along fence. Excellent tip. We arrived at 715 because my feet hurt. It wasn’t necessary to be there that early unless you want the fence spot. The bench in the walkway between Casey and the grassy area is NOT open during fireworks. Lots of people were cleared out after having waited there a while.

After "hearing" that all I needed to do was hold my Umbrella and Phone out in front of me and I would be fine and then seeing that doing that resulted in being sent to the "table" EVERY time,I eventually began to put ANYTHING remotely questionable(Cellphone/Cellphone Charger/Earbuds Case/Keys/Eyeglass Cases/Batteries,etc.) in a large Ziploc bag and held that and my Umbrella out in front.

I started doing that a couple of trips back and have been sent to the "table" ZERO times and the Guards really seem to appreciate this "system".

After being stopped every single time I entered a park and being told each and every time that I needed to remove my eyeglass case and camera (had already done that), I had enough. When re-entering Epcot at a very quiet time and being screened again, I had the security guard remove everything "suspect" from my Baggallini and left the items with him and my husband. I walked through the scanner again and yep--it went off.

We then removed everything from the bag--ding, ding, ding--went off again. No one has an answer why this bag (pictured in my avatar) continues to sound the alarm. They say that it is my chest area raising the machine hackles. The bag has a zipper in the crossover portion of the strap which would be in that area. There are also heavy metal rings that allow for adjustment. Security said no, that wouldn't cause it--no resolution for me unless I ditch my favorite park bag ever!

I have resigned myself to additional screening and listening to the same spiel each and every time--"it is your eyeglass case" or "it is your camera"--I gave up removing them because it makes no difference. :confused3

After being stopped every single time I entered a park and being told each and every time that I needed to remove my eyeglass case and camera (had already done that), I had enough. When re-entering Epcot at a very quiet time and being screened again, I had the security guard remove everything "suspect" from my Baggallini and left the items with him and my husband. I walked through the scanner again and yep--it went off.

We then removed everything from the bag--ding, ding, ding--went off again. No one has an answer why this bag (pictured in my avatar) continues to sound the alarm. They say that it is my chest area raising the machine hackles. The bag has a zipper in the crossover portion of the strap which would be in that area. There are also heavy metal rings that allow for adjustment. Security said no, that wouldn't cause it--no resolution for me unless I ditch my favorite park bag ever!

I have resigned myself to additional screening and listening to the same spiel each and every time--"it is your eyeglass case" or "it is your camera"--I gave up removing them because it makes no difference. :confused3
Did you try walking through without carrying anything, including your bag. to see if there still was an issue?

Enormous crowd at Fireworks at MK last night. We were is grassy area in front of Casey along fence. Excellent tip. We arrived at 715 because my feet hurt. It wasn’t necessary to be there that early unless you want the fence spot. The bench in the walkway between Casey and the grassy area is NOT open during fireworks. Lots of people were cleared out after having waited there a while.

I am so glad I found that tip here before our trip. It was almost like the old days with the dessert buffet. Why it doesn't fill in wall to wall is beyond me. But we were sure glad to get it. We would not have stayed to watch the fireworks if we had to be in that mass of people- had no interest in seeing them without the projections.

It’s hard see in your pic but it looks like there maybe metal on the strap, maybe it’s that. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I totally understand your frustration, I loathe being pulled aside. I got pulled aside because I had my umbrella straight out in front (cause at previous park that’s how I was instructed to hold it going thru) and as I went to walk thru security guy yelled at me to hold above my head, so I moved my arm up. Then he told to go to the side and next time not to move my arm. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I was not happy. :offtopic:I wish my clothes had deep pockets like my DH’s does, I’d never need a purse at Disney then. Why can’t the fashion industry make women’s clothing with more useable pockets?! And (while I’m on my soap box) why can’t they make pants for us using the waist & length like they do for men?! I mean, some of us short (5’ here), some of us are tall and a petite or tall label doesn’t always cut it. Sorry, off my box now.

It’s hard see in your pic but it looks like there maybe metal on the strap, maybe it’s that. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I totally understand your frustration, I loathe being pulled aside. I got pulled aside because I had my umbrella straight out in front (cause at previous park that’s how I was instructed to hold it going thru) and as I went to walk thru security guy yelled at me to hold above my head, so I moved my arm up. Then he told to go to the side and next time not to move my arm. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I was not happy. :offtopic:I wish my clothes had deep pockets like my DH’s does, I’d never need a purse at Disney then. Why can’t the fashion industry make women’s clothing with more useable pockets?! And (while I’m on my soap box) why can’t they make pants for us using the waist & length like they do for men?! I mean, some of us short (5’ here), some of us are tall and a petite or tall label doesn’t always cut it. Sorry, off my box now.
Check out Betabrand pants. They have a bunch with multiple deep pockets, and they have several the inseam lengths for each style. I love them!

I am so glad I found that tip here before our trip. It was almost like the old days with the dessert buffet. Why it doesn't fill in wall to wall is beyond me. But we were sure glad to get it. We would not have stayed to watch the fireworks if we had to be in that mass of people- had no interest in seeing them without the projections.

it was very full last night, but people sat until after it started. Only one side stood and that created room

Is there pin trading happening? We are very excited to head to MK and HS next week and we were really hoping to do some pin trading.

Is there pin trading happening? We are very excited to head to MK and HS next week and we were really hoping to do some pin trading.
There is some pin trading happening. There are boards around the parks and resorts you can trade on, but it works a bit differently. You take the pin you want to trade, remove the back, put it in a small bucket, and then they'll give you the pin off the board. At least that is how it worked when we were there earlier in the summer.

it was very full last night, but people sat until after it started. Only one side stood and that created room
No question that it's more full than when it was just the dessert buffet, but it is significantly less crowded than the shoulder to shoulder crowds outside the area. At least it was for us on a couple of really busy park days 2 weeks ago.

Did you try walking through without carrying anything, including your bag. to see if there still was an issue?

Yes--I walked through without the bag--no issues; then again with the bag held below my waist and that is the area that was found to be questionable--it is something in that bag's construction that is setting off the alarm.

Did you try having your husband walk through carrying the bag to see if there still was an issue?

For those that have used the magical express how have the wait times been at MCO?

Also, are the buses stopping at multiple resorts?

We used it on Saturday (landed at 8:40am). When we arrived at Magical Express check-in, the CM said 30 minute wait. Waited less than 5 minutes to board bus. Maybe 10 more minutes for others boarding.
We were first stop (Boardwalk) so it was quick for us - in our room around 10:30 (off the plane at the gate at 9am & had to go to baggage claim so really quick).
After Boardwalk, stops were Yacht Club then Art of Animation.

Does your bag have RFID blocking in one of the compartment? I have a baggallini that has that and wonder if that might be the reason.

Does your bag have RFID blocking in one of the compartment? I have a baggallini that has that and wonder if that might be the reason.
I'm not the poster, and have a different type of bag, but I have one with RFID blocking in a compartment and a wallet with RFID blocking and have never set off the scanner. I generally pick bags with plastic adjustments and zippers though, and don't keep anything in the bag in metal compartments (like mint containers, use soft sided glasses cases if I have one with me, plastic carrying case for multi-use straws that came with a metal case but I didn't want it setting off the scanner). I set off the scanner coming to and from dinner at CR because my purse had a metal adjuster on it, the guards didn't think that could set it off, but nothing else was metal on or in my bag but that. Even if they don't think that's what set it off it doesn't mean that's not what did it.

As I mentioned (entirely as a stealth brag 😉), I went on a long bike ride the day after we checked out. So my pal had a package of spare brake pads he’d thrown in his bag on the way out the door. It ended up being the culprit for enhanced checks at all four parks, because he’s stubborn and wouldn’t hold it out or something.
The CMs at security, however, were all super nice and very quick. Not really a delay or inconvenience for repeat stops, but it is kind of funny and you get to text your buddy’s girlfriend pics of him getting stopped all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter