Here it is - the OFFICIAL 2014 READING GOAL CHALLENGE THREAD

Quick question what's the consensus on reading a graphic novel like Watchmen? Counts? Doesn't count?

#3 - Winners by Danielle Steele - what can I say except that if you've read one of Danielle Steele's books, you've read them all. She used to be one of my favorite authors but her stories are just too predictable. Now I remember why I stopped reading her. I'd give this a 3/5. If you like Danielle Steele, you'll like this one. It will be a while before I'll read another one.

#4 - The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank - I read this based on a recommendation from this thread and it didn't disappoint. I'd give it a 4.5/5. I bought this book on Sunday & finished it this evening. I would recommend this one to friends.

Quick question what's the consensus on reading a graphic novel like Watchmen? Counts? Doesn't count?

I've been reading quite a few graphic novels as well (Fables series) and I personally don't really count them because to me they're quick, easy reads that don't carry the weight/value that a 'real novel' does. But I tend to be a touch snobby about my books, so depending on your goals and personal views, you can count them however you like.

I've been working on my current 'real novel,' The Four Feathers by A. E. W. Mason, for about a month now. It's fascinating, but I've been very busy and distracted when I'm not-- curse you, Sherlock and Fables (not really, I love you)!-- so it hasn't quite gone as planned. I hope to finish it by March...

Like Narnian said, it's totally up to you. This is YOUR goal for the year. There are no rules as to what can be counted or not counted. Do what you feel satisfied with. :thumbsup2

Finished book #15 - The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

This has already been reviewed here, so I will add my opinion. This is a quick, fun read. I also did think of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory as the main character. Although, I also thought this story could have been stolen from the show. In previous episodes, Sheldon does make charts & analyzes how to make friends, find a girlfriend, etc. He is even signed up on an online dating site w/his questionnaire to find the right girl who ends up being Amy (Blossom actress), a female version of Sheldon. Anyway, I did enjoy it.

Next book: The Lakeside Cottage

Book 5 of 30: The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club by Duncan Whitehead

from Amazon:

Something is not quite right in the leafy Savannah neighborhood of Gordonston.

As the friends and fellow members of her afternoon cocktail club gather to mourn the death and lament the life of their neighbor, Thelma Miller, not all is what it seems.

When old friends vie for the attention of widower, alderman and mayoral candidate Elliott, jealousies surface and friendships are strained. An old woman with a dark secret and an infamous uncle plots her revenge for a perceived wrong done over thirty years before, a once successful children's writer with his own secret is haunted by memories of the past and aspiring model Kelly Hudd has just won the trip of a lifetime.

Soon secrets are revealed and an intertwined web of deceits and lies surfaces in the middle class neighborhood where a killer lurks, but is anyone really who they seem to be? A mysterious old man in South America, a young Italian count parading the streets of Paris and a charitable and kindhearted nephew recently arrived from India add to the remarkable assortment of characters in this story of intrigue, deceit and revenge. What is the secret a recently retired accountant is trying to hide and just why did former showgirl and attractive sixty two year old widow Carla Zipp really have plastic surgery?

As the plot thickens and the Georgia temperature rises we discover who is destined for an early-unmarked grave in the wooded park that centers the tree-lined avenues of Gordonston.

A mysterious organization with links to organized crime, a handsome fire fighter who can do no wrong, and a trio of widows with deep hidden agendas compound a story of simplistic complexity. As twists and turns lead the reader to a conclusion that they will not see coming and a sucker punch ending that will leave readers breathless, the Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club's top priority remains the need to chastise the culprit who refuses to 'scoop' after his dog walking sessions in their treasured park

I enjoyed this, 3 stars. It reads like a season of Desperate Housewives or the like.

Next I think I might try that Orphan Train that's been recommended here.

I finished book 6 - The Castle in Transylvania, AKA The Castle of the Carpathians by Jules Verne. It was a good read. But what really amazes me is the amount of research and detail that Verne puts into his Adventures. One moment he's describing in detail a character, then he begins to describe the scenery and geography of the Transylvanian mountains, next it's a lesson on Transylvanian legends and supernatural beings. All this detail, and all without our modern day instant access to world information. :worship:

Next up is a break from Verne, after four of his books in a row. :eek:, My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse.

Books #20 and 21

No Choice But Seduction by Johanna Lindsay and The Magic of You by Johanna Lindsay. From Amazon:

"No Choice But Seduction" After her mother died, vivacious Katey Tyler fled her dull Connecticut town, hoping to meet her relatives in England and find adventure and romance on a grand tour of Europe. She had no idea that her life-changing travels would have both in spades -- as well as danger and intrigue -- when she catches the eye of ship owner Boyd Anderson and inadvertently stumbles upon a high-stakes kidnapping.

When Sir Anthony Malory's young daughter is abducted from London's Hyde Park, her kidnapper mistakenly sends the ransom note to the home of Sir Anthony's brother, James. With James and his wife, Georgina, in the Caribbean, the demands are received by their houseguest -- Georgina's youngest brother, Boyd Anderson. Searching for the girl with Anthony, the notoriously hot-headed American sea captain fully intends to make the foolhardy villain pay. But he hardly expects to find exquisite Katey Tyler, recently a passenger on his ship, at the center of the plot!

Little does Katey realize that in having caught the attention of Boyd Anderson -- and in meeting up with the Malorys -- she's about to experience more excitement than the typical young lady encounters on a grand tour, and her life will never be dull again. A multitude of surprises await Katey, from the startling truth about her mother's early life to the lengths a man will go to win the affections of a lady who has every reason to despise him -- but who can't resist the seductive, impassioned love he has to offer her."

The Magic of You - "As wild and reckless as the most incorrigible of her male cousins, Amy Malory has reached a marriageable age and has set her sights on a most inappropriate mate: the straight-laced American ship captain who once nearly had her Uncle James hung for piracy.

Warren Anderson is shocked by the brazen advances of his despised enemy's beautiful niece. Though determined to resist her, he burns for the enchanting British minx. And an impassioned heart implores him to surrender to a love that could stoke the smoldering fires of a family feud into a dangerous, all consuming blaze."

Both were typical historical romance novels. I do like the way the author ties in previous books and characters, although they are all stand alone novels. Quick easy reads. I'd give them a 3/5.

Book # 18 Daisy May and the Miracle Man by Fanny Flagg

Book #19 The All-Girl Filling Station by Fanny Flagg

I am not sure about the Watchmen and I do read graphic novels. Since I am now reading Fables and that is a fast read I tend to group them together so Volumes (not issues) 1-7 counts as one book to me.

I have books lined up waiting for me to read! Just having a hard time finding time or I'm.not tired :P

book 22/150 Hunted by Kevin Hearne
more from the iron druid. fun urban fantasy
book 23/150moon over soho by ben aaronovitch
more from the folly. I love this series of supernatural police procedurals!

Finished book #16 - Lakeside Cottage by Susan Wiggs

This is a romance novel which I never read. It's about a single mom w/a 9 yr old son who loses her job. So she takes her son to her family's lakeside cottage for the summer to figure things out. She then meets a stranger who is staying down the road who happens to be the paramedic/soldier who threw himself on a suicide bomber to protect the president & survived. Of course he is the perfect guy & true love happens. There were a few things that bothered me about the story, but it's not worth even arguing over. I give this 3/5 stars. Give it a read if you like sappy love stories.

If you trust your heart, you'll always know who you are…
Each summer, Kate Livingston returns to her family's lakeside cottage, a place of simple living and happy times—a place where she hopes her son, Aaron, can blossom. But her quiet life gets a bit more interesting with the arrival of a mysterious new neighbor, JD Harris.
JD has a good reason for being secretive. In a moment of sheer bravery, the Washington, D.C., paramedic prevented a terrible tragedy—and became a national hero. He's hardly able to remember who he was before the media frenzy…until he escapes to this lovely, remote part of the Northwest.
Now Kate and Aaron have rekindled the joy of small pleasures and peace, something JD thought he'd never have again. But how long will his blissful anonymity last before reality comes banging at his door?

Next Book: Winter People

Finished book #16 - Lakeside Cottage by Susan Wiggs

This is a romance novel which I never read. It's about a single mom w/a 9 yr old son who loses her job. So she takes her son to her family's lakeside cottage for the summer to figure things out. She then meets a stranger who is staying down the road who happens to be the paramedic/soldier who threw himself on a suicide bomber to protect the president & survived. Of course he is the perfect guy & true love happens. There were a few things that bothered me about the story, but it's not worth even arguing over. I give this 3/5 stars. Give it a read if you like sappy love stories.

If you trust your heart, you'll always know who you are…
Each summer, Kate Livingston returns to her family's lakeside cottage, a place of simple living and happy times—a place where she hopes her son, Aaron, can blossom. But her quiet life gets a bit more interesting with the arrival of a mysterious new neighbor, JD Harris.
JD has a good reason for being secretive. In a moment of sheer bravery, the Washington, D.C., paramedic prevented a terrible tragedy—and became a national hero. He's hardly able to remember who he was before the media frenzy…until he escapes to this lovely, remote part of the Northwest.
Now Kate and Aaron have rekindled the joy of small pleasures and peace, something JD thought he'd never have again. But how long will his blissful anonymity last before reality comes banging at his door?

Next Book: Winter People

Yeah, I like sappy love stories-that's why I'm reading another book by Susan Wiggs, Marrying Daisy Bellamy. I think it's 9/60. So far it seems like an enjoyable read.

Book 2 out of 60- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Due to work and university, I have had NO time to do personal reading :( hopefully be able to catch up in summer!!!

Book 5 out of 30 - If you find me.. Teen book that has already been reviewed here.

Book 6 out of 30 - Rosie Project.. Reviewed here already as well.

Everyone has such great ideas for books. I would have never picked some of these books on my own. I love this thread!

Not sure I would try anything by the same author.

3/5

Oh, please don't give up on Alice Hoffman! She is one of my favorite authors, but The Story Sisters was NOT one of hers I really enjoyed either. Try Practical Magic or Blackbird House and then see how you feel.

I've been a major reading slacker lately!! So much going on around here with my kids' activities.

I finished 12 of 45, Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins. I read this with my boys. We all really enjoyed it.

Gregor's dad has been missing for over two years. His mom is sad, they don't have much money, and Gregor has to assume a lot of extra responsibility in caring for his 2 year old sister Boots and his grandmother who is suffering from dementia.

One day while in the laundry room of their apartment building, Boots chases a tennis ball and ends up falling through a grate. Gregor goes after her and the two fall down, down, down to the Underland where they encounter giant cockroaches, man-sized rats and bats, and a unique royal court of humans that rule the world below ours. Will they survive? Are they prisoners? And is this what happened to their dad as well?

I've been wanting to read this for awhile, and I'm so glad I did. We will continue the series. I rate it a 4/5

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter