Here is September 11th as it happened on the DIS...very long

19 years ago. This was the one place many came to.
This year with Covid and so many other issues going on have heard some wanting to put 9/11 behind or on a back burner. There was even the talk of cancelling the twin beams of light but I am glad they will still be lit this year.
If you read through the first through pages you get a glimpse of the confusion, pain and horror people felt that day.

Last edited:

I feel it is appropriate to bump this thread again for the 20th anniversary. 20 years. Hard to believe. I was a senior in high school, sitting in math class. Spent the rest of the day listening/watching, and we did a special edition of the school news paper for it, plus had a special page in the year book. These were not "canned" things we bought from a publication company, but something we as students created ourselves. For the news paper, our advisor asked us to interview family members who remembered other historic events, and I was able to interview my grandmother, 95 at the time, about World War 1. She died about a year later, and I'm so thankful I have that special memory of her associated with an event that I will never forget.

Last edited:
“Never Forget” 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
joined in a motorcade this morning. A neighbors son passed …NYC Firefighter, Hero … it was wonderful to see all the flags waving and giving heartfelt Thanks and Prayers to his family.
A Tough day .. still…. 🙏🏻🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

This is the first time I have seen this thread. What an incredible, gut-wrenching, horrific but historic time stamp that captures the day in a way I’ve never seen. The expressions are the same as the ones I shared with my coworkers as we watched on TV in a conference room. Thanks for putting this together and sharing.

I'm guessing the original thread from 2001 doesn't exist any more? I did a search but couldn't find it.

At school right after my German language class. I was heading over to the student union to grab a bagel when I found out. We were sent home, and the T, that's what they call the subway in Boston, was free. Supervisors had the gates open and were ushering people through.

I was here on the DIS that day. I started to read the first few pages just now but stopped because it brought back the confusion and fear and uncertainty that we all were feeling in those moments.

Someone else said it in a previous post, but especially back then, THIS was the place to go for up to the minute information because so many of us live(d) or worked or knew people in the cities that were attacked. I’m not far from Boston and although we didn’t get physically attacked, many of us up here felt terrorized because the planes left from BOS Logan Airport. We had no idea if any of them would start attacking locally here. Not only here… everyone in the US was scared, I think.

Sept 11, 2022: I’m sending out love to everyone, but mostly those of us who came here on that day, typing to each other made me feel less alone. (DH was several hours away at a convention for work, DSs we’re in school).

I will never forget that awful day. A friend had spent the summer in CA (we lived in FL at the time), and she flew back the night of the 10th. Several of us went to pick her up...all the way at the gate, then we had a welcome home party at my parents' house. We were crashed out on the floor of the living room when my dad came and woke us up, just in time to see the second plane hit. We spent all day gathered around the TV in shock. And rumors were flying...a bunch of us worked for the theme parks, and we were scared they'd get hit next.

It's amazing to think about how much has changed since those tragic days. My gosh, 22 years, it seems like only a couple years ago! I was only 9 when the attacks happened, but it's interesting how the DIS were peoples' news outlets and a place to converge and discuss, especially because news sites were slow to load, if they loaded at all. Now people would be on Twitter, looking at their phones, or going to any one of many news sites that would have information.

In some ways while the Internet has made the world smaller, the increase in avenues of information available has made the world bigger and people spread further apart again.

I visited the Flight 93 National Memorial. Its a very moving experience. Hallowed Ground and A Field of Honor Forever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter