Here and little one sick

Agree with pp who said pushing fluids. Any fluids!!! Even ice cream counts.

Also, call your doctor before you do this, but our ped always has us alternate doses ibuprofen and acetaminophen (Motrin & Tylenol). Our DS spikes very high fevers and that’s how we keep them down. Again, ask your doctor if that would help. It has helped us control very stubborn fevers.

Ice cream doesn't count as a fluid. I wish it did, but it doesn't. Clear fluids is what is needed for fevers...water based.

I second going to get checked. If it's something like strep or ear infection then antibiotics will make them better quickly and on with your trip. If it's the flu then they can start Tamiflu. Either way it's better to know what your treating. Food is ok to go without but fluid is not. Push lots of fluids! Any fluids. I'm so sorry! Also 2 of my kids never have throat pain with strep...it's crazy it's headache stomach ache ( not saying I think that's what's wrong...)

Not to take over the thread but my 9 yo has strep, diagnosed on Friday night and taking antibiotics. She was better Sunday with no fever and now this morning she has a fever again and painful throat! She is taking amoxicillan. Anyone ever hear of this? Maybe I need to switch the antibiotic?

Thanks for any advice! Taking her to her dr. tomorrow if she still has a sore throat and fever in the morning.

Not to take over the thread but my 9 yo has strep, diagnosed on Friday night and taking antibiotics. She was better Sunday with no fever and now this morning she has a fever again and painful throat! She is taking amoxicillan. Anyone ever hear of this? Maybe I need to switch the antibiotic?

Thanks for any advice! Taking her to her dr. tomorrow if she still has a sore throat and fever in the morning.
I will share my opinion but people may disagree. I am not in the medical field...just a mom of 4 with two kids that have had tonsils out due to so much strep... amoxicillin is not very effective anymore to treat strep. Unless it's a young child. This is from multiple pediatricians we have used. But it may work ...I would call the Dr in the am to ask their opinion. Sorry!

I will share my opinion but people may disagree. I am not in the medical field...just a mom of 4 with two kids that have had tonsils out due to so much strep... amoxicillin is not very effective anymore to treat strep. Unless it's a young child. This is from multiple pediatricians we have used. But it may work ...I would call the Dr in the am to ask their opinion. Sorry!

Thank you. This is in line with my research and what my sister who is a nurse told me today. I think I am going to call my dr. tomorrow and see if I can get it switched to artithromyacin (spelling, sorry). I feel terrible as my daughter is running a fever of 101.9 and in a lot of throat pain. One more night, hopefully. Thanks so much for your input! :)

OP. After the first dose of ibuprofen 2.5 ml at 7pm, the fever went down to 98.4. She never complained of body, head or throat pain, not yet. She has been sleeping for 4 hrs now. Will let her get her rest instead of urgent care tonight. And see what happens in the AM. We have pushed fluids. Doc said stay away from dairy completely.

If the fever doesn’t come back say at 7 am, would you still take your child to urgent care? To rule out flu and strep?
Or if it does but not more than 100 and can be controlled with 1-2 more doses wwyd? Will also call the nurse tomorrow.

We lost today at Disney and I think so she gets her rest should skip tomorrow too...

If the fever doesn’t come back say at 7 am, would you still take your child to urgent care? To rule out flu and strep?
Or if it does but not more than 100 and can be controlled with 1-2 more doses wwyd?

If the fever doesn't come back, then no, I would not take her in. If you do, at least in my experience, you'll hear "Oh it's probably viral." And that would be the end of it.

I agree rest and fluids are what she needs most. My DD9 had strep and the flu. The fever didn't go away until the fever broke. Regardless of the Motrin and Tylenol.

OP. After the first dose of ibuprofen 2.5 ml at 7pm, the fever went down to 98.4. She never complained of body, head or throat pain, not yet. She has been sleeping for 4 hrs now. Will let her get her rest instead of urgent care tonight. And see what happens in the AM. We have pushed fluids. Doc said stay away from dairy completely.

Or if it does but not more than 100 and can be controlled with 1-2 more doses wwyd? Will also call the nurse tomorrow.

We lost today at Disney and I think so she gets her rest should skip tomorrow too...

So what are her other symptoms besides the fever? If it comes back and she has no obvious upper respiratory symptoms, take her in. You need to find out why she has a fever...could be a urinary tract infection or something. The ibuprofen will lower the fever but it will not address the cause of the fever.

Not to get off topic, but recently some dieticians have started suggesting this for sick children because many will reject any solid food when sick. Ice cream is liquid at room temperature and gives them a caloric boost that they would not otherwise get. They used to say to avoid dairy with a fever but some have changed their tune.

Water is obviously the best thing but ice cream can benefit a kid who is not eating.

I can't imagine my child's doctor suggesting this, but I guess for prolonged illness maybe it's an option. On day 1 of a fever I wouldn't break out the ice cream. Most kids have enough fat stores to get through a couple days without eating. My son lost a couple pounds while he had the flu and didn't eat any real food for about 5 days. He's no worse for wear.

I can't imagine my child's doctor suggesting this, but I guess for prolonged illness maybe it's an option. On day 1 of a fever I wouldn't break out the ice cream. Most kids have enough fat stores to get through a couple days without eating. My son lost a couple pounds while he had the flu and didn't eat any real food for about 5 days. He's no worse for wear.

Edited: Never mind. Don’t want to get too far off topic about ice cream :).

OP, I hope your kiddo feels better quickly!

Last edited:
I suggest no ice cream and no soda pop. These items will irritate the throat (freezing and carbonation respectively) and make you much more vulnerable to attack by germs and prolonging of the flu (or a cold).

If you do not have to go to the bathroom more often than usual then you are not drinking plenty enough fluids.

Last edited:
Kids can go longer than that without food, my twins went 10 days with rotavirus. I did manage to keep them hydrated. I never took my kids to the doctor with just a fever with no other complaints, they had the “fever with no other symptoms virus” a lot. I also held off on medicating lower fevers, since a fever is the body’s way of fighting infection.

Kids can go longer than that without food, my twins went 10 days with rotavirus. I did manage to keep them hydrated. I never took my kids to the doctor with just a fever with no other complaints, they had the “fever with no other symptoms virus” a lot. I also held off on medicating lower fevers, since a fever is the body’s way of fighting infection.

My 9 yr old was diagnosed with strep, took antibiotics beg friday, sunday seemed back to normal, then Monday morning had a fever again and sore throat. Tuesday: has fever, runny nose. No sore throat. Would you take her to the dr.? I have an appt today and she is miserable trying to get ready with a 102 temp. I just wonder what they are going to do.

I suggest no ice cream and no soda pop. These items will irritate the throat (freezing and carbonation respectively) and make you much more vulnerable to attack by germs and prolonging of the flu (or a cold).

If you do not have to go to the bathroom more often than usual then you are not drinking plenty enough fluids.
Exactly. Dole Whips/Ice Cream is a terrible idea. They need clear fluids. The milk in Ice cream can induce coughing/phlegm. When our daughter is sick, we rotate between Tylenol and Motrin. If she is coughing, Zarbees helped us out a lot. Get something homeopahtic to help her sleep at night. We use Hylands cold n cough night time and day time. That helps dry them out. Try to give her some soup for eating. Key is to stay hydrated. If you have to, give gatorade.

I would, I’d be concerned about scarlet fever.

My 9 yr old was diagnosed with strep, took antibiotics beg friday, sunday seemed back to normal, then Monday morning had a fever again and sore throat. Tuesday: has fever, runny nose. No sore throat. Would you take her to the dr.? I have an appt today and she is miserable trying to get ready with a 102 temp. I just wonder what they are going to do.
It could also be something entirely different. She could have strep plus the flu or virus. I would get rechecked just to be sure.

If you are worried about getting in fluids and are on vacation I would straddle the fine line between hydration vs healthy. Milkshake, smoothie, dole whip, slushie, juice, etc. would all be ok in my book.

If you didn't bring a stroller, I would consider renting one so she can rest and maybe do half days at the parks.

It would be nice not to take a sick kid to the parks - no need to spread more germs, right?

In my family, fevers tend to peak at certain times of the day - around 3 PM, and in the middle of the night. The morning temp tends to be normal or even a bit low. So even if it was low in the morning, it might spike later. I'd visit if it spiked back up, and would take her there while the temp was high.

While we avoid dairy because it gets phlegmy in the throat, we've never had issues with the coldness of it - the mouth tends warms it up to an appropriate temp. We use popsicles and italian ices to soothe sore throats, and it works really well. No one in our family has ever gotten more sick because of a cold throat. I'd love to see some research/background on the theory though.

Kids can go longer than that without food, my twins went 10 days with rotavirus.

Be careful generalizing this. Every child is different based on size, age and overall health situation. Some kids can go days without food. For others it could be very serious based on their situation.

If a child is too sick to eat, especially for more than a day, I always recommend talking to a medical professional about that specific child. One size does not fit all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter