Here and little one sick

1Pam

Earning My Ears
We arrived last night and within a couple of hours today our 4 yr old said she wanted to go back. She was very warm to the touch and looked very tired. Her temperature went from 99.5 to 101. No other symptoms yet. Waiting for a call back from her ped.

What would you do? I want to give her ibuprofen. What else can be done? Can’t see a little one like that. We had 7 day passes and she was so excited.

Sorry to hear about your little one, I'm at home cuddling my sick one year old. I hope you hear back from your doctor and she feels better soon.

Give her ibeuprfin and lots of fluids. Let her rest. Hopefully tomorrow she will feel better & ready to hit the parks. Maybe switch off who stays with her so the other one can go out & have some fun.

I'd rather use Tylenol than Ibuprofen, but they both can work. There are a gazillion urgent care type facilities around WDW, if you want to be sure it's just a virus.

Hope she feels better really soon!!

I would take her to an urgent care and rule out flu. I never had much luck with tamiflu but its worth a try. Hopefully its just the usual kiddo stuff and some rest, fluids and fever reducers will kick in and she will be ready to hit the parks!! I hope all is well soon!

My worst fear when we come down next week. Hopefully your pediatrician gets back to you soon. I agree with ibuprofen and rest until you hear from the doctor.

OP. Heard back and doc had the same kind advice I found here. Ibuprofen, rest and fluids. The thermometer is not working so DH has gone to buy a new one and some drinks since she won’t drink much water. Any suggestions for food here in Disney springs? When she is ready to eat. The hotel doesn’t really have anything healthy. Kiddo is a vegetarian.

I would take her to an urgent care and rule out flu. I never had much luck with tamiflu but its worth a try. Hopefully its just the usual kiddo stuff and some rest, fluids and fever reducers will kick in and she will be ready to hit the parks!! I hope all is well soon!

OP. I will wait till tomorrow to see if the fever is taken care of. Doc said take her to urgent care only if the fever rises to 102-103 as 101 is comparatively low and we haven’t given ibuprofen a chance to work yet. But i agree will need urgent care if symptoms worsen.

As far as DS, I would recommend going on All ears and perusing the menus to see what your LO might like.

I just want to say I'm sorry she's not feeling well and hope she perks up fast!

If you are worried about getting in fluids and are on vacation I would straddle the fine line between hydration vs healthy. Milkshake, smoothie, dole whip, slushie, juice, etc. would all be ok in my book.

If you didn't bring a stroller, I would consider renting one so she can rest and maybe do half days at the parks.

If you need to be seen we visited Night Lite Pediatrics - Kissimmee in October and they were so amazing! We we're in and out and they called us several days later to check on him. I'm so sorry. It stinks to be sick at Disney. With my son we still went to Disney every day. He doesn't get whinny or anything he's 7 though so alittle different.he did nap several times though. Now if it was something more serious we would have obviously stayed at our condo. I hope it passes soon so you can get back to your trip!

I think Wolfgang Puck Express probably has something she might eat. Pizza/Pasta/Salads. The other one of the top of my head is Earl of Sandwich (most of them have meat but you might be able to order a meatless).

Just wanted to suggest going on Amazon prime now and you can have things delivered to your hotel within a few hours. Some gatorade, popsicles, crackers. They also have some microwavable soups if that might be something she could have. You can also order meds. My little one used to get ear infections all the time - we would alternate between tylenol and ibprofen every three hours to keep her temp in check.

Will she eat soup? You can get soup at Earl of Sandwich.

I personally would take her to urgent care now. Rule out flu and strep a.s.a.p. My son just got over flu and his temp the first two days was 101 or less but he continued to get worse and worse. If I had taken him in on day 1, he could have gotten Tamiflu and probably avoided the pneumonia that developed. He was down hard for 6 days. The higher fever didn't develop until day 3.

In addition, if it IS flu, you might want to consider cutting your trip short and heading home because if you end up sick too things will be absolutely miserable. If you have trip insurance, they will require a dated doctors note to process your claim.

If it's not flu, she will likely bounce back in a day or two after meds and rest.

OP. She won’t eat anything. Hasnt eaten anything since 10am. We got soups and crackers. Gave her a shower and that helped a little. Temp is 101.

Not eating isn't a huge deal. Just as long as you keep her hydrated. You can alternate between Motrin and Tylenol.

I would consider taking her to urgent care, and soon. It could be the flu, it could be strep throat or it could be a cold (or something else). The sooner you know how to treat it, the sooner she will feel better.

Will she eat soup? You can get soup at Earl of Sandwich.

I personally would take her to urgent care now. Rule out flu and strep a.s.a.p. My son just got over flu and his temp the first two days was 101 or less but he continued to get worse and worse. If I had taken him in on day 1, he could have gotten Tamiflu and probably avoided the pneumonia that developed. He was down hard for 6 days. The higher fever didn't develop until day 3.

In addition, if it IS flu, you might want to consider cutting your trip short and heading home because if you end up sick too things will be absolutely miserable. If you have trip insurance, they will require a dated doctors note to process your claim.

If it's not flu, she will likely bounce back in a day or two after meds and rest.

She hAs no throat pain or body ache she says. I think when she wakes up again if the fever hasn’t gone down from 101 despite the ibuprofen will take her. Thanks.

I second going to get checked. If it's something like strep or ear infection then antibiotics will make them better quickly and on with your trip. If it's the flu then they can start Tamiflu. Either way it's better to know what your treating. Food is ok to go without but fluid is not. Push lots of fluids! Any fluids. I'm so sorry! Also 2 of my kids never have throat pain with strep...it's crazy it's headache stomach ache ( not saying I think that's what's wrong...)

Agree with pp who said pushing fluids. Any fluids!!! Edited: forget I ever mentioned ice cream :) .

Also, call your doctor before you do this, but our ped always has us alternate doses ibuprofen and acetaminophen (Motrin & Tylenol). Our DS spikes very high fevers and that’s how we keep them down. Again, ask your doctor if that would help. It has helped us control very stubborn fevers.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter