• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

hemorrhages on retinas?

Earstou

DIS Veteran
My DH's eye doctor found hemorrhages on his retinas. He said the only thing he could think of to cause this was diabetes, but tests show this is "unlikely" (quote from nurse in dr.s office). DH has an appointment next week. I've tried researching this and can't find anything.

My question: does anyone know of another reason someone could have red spots or hemorrhages on their retinas?

It's been quite a week. I've been sick since Christmas and when i went to the doctor on Tuesday, they were talking about doing a needle biopsy on my throat. But yesterday ENT decided it's NOT cancer, just a swollen salivia gland. Whew!! I don't need any more health problems. Hope 2006 is better for everyone!

First of all :grouphug:
and hope you have a much better start to the year than the end is looking like.

I don't know that much about retinal hemorrhages (other than that they are sometimes seen in "Shaken Baby Syndrome" - obviously not the cause of your DHs.
Besides diabetes, some other reasons could be glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye) - which the eye doctor would have screened for, and things like high blood pressure or atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (buildup of fatty deposits inside the blood vessels). I'm not sure how they decided diabetes was unlikely (if that was the nurse in the eye doctor's office). Some other things could be blood factors that make it clot incorrectly or inflammation of the blood vessels. Hopefully the doctor will be able to come up with a reason next week and once they have a cause, they can treat that.

SueM in MN said:
I'm not sure how they decided diabetes was unlikely (if that was the nurse in the eye doctor's office).
Not the nurse at the eye doctor, but the nurse from our gp doctor after the test results came in.
Thanks for the reply. I just hope it turns out to be something easy to treat!

It could be macular degeneration. My grandma has this problem. There is the "wet" and "dry" kind and it can affect one or both eyes. It is very beneficial to catch it early because there is a relatively new treatment. The spots of degeneration can be stopped by hitting them with a laser. New spots can appear so you need to monitor your eyes. My Grandma has the most severe "wet" kind and Oklahoma doctors (we're now in CA) wouldn't do the laser treatment so she now has serious vision problems...

Here's a good website:
http://www.ahaf.org/macular/about/maabout.htm

Hope you can find the cause

Christamae

bungee jumping also causes it. or any type of sudden and quick stopping of the head and the eye balls continue to move around. :pug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter