• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Helping kids with homework/studying

MooseBucks

Living the Dream
Our oldest has just started to get homework and I was wondering how much folks help their kids with their homework. My better half just wants to make sure it is finished and I want to be more hands on and provide direction if it is completed incorrectly so that our kids don’t fall behind. Personally my mom always checked over my homework and helped me study until middle school and then slowly cut back.

I think people are all over the place with this, just like you and your better half are.

In elementary, I tried to set them up for success by having a space and time set aside to do their work, and lightly oversaw what they were doing to keep the fooling around and feet dragging to a minimum, but pretty much let them work on their own unless they needed help. Some years were painful with all the homework they got. I had one who loved to do the work, and one who hated it.

One of the biggest mistakes we made was in middle school, though, when they advised letting them go completely solo. One of mine was ready for that, and one wasn’t. (I have twins.) I think you have to look at strengths and weaknesses for each individual child and take it from there.

Mother of four...

I generally only help if asked. That would include the teacher asking me to check over or sign off in some way. I'm happy to quiz a child on spelling words or help with a homework problem, whatever.

I do not, typically, check over work to see if it's been done properly. This is for two reasons: 1) teachers sometimes use different methods than I'm used to, to arrive at an answer. My "help" might add to the confusion; and 2) If my child isn't understanding a concept, the teacher can see that by looking at the homework.

That said, my kids are more inclined to come to me with math questions, rather than their dad. It's just easier for me--I remember much more of algebra. I also do biology and chemistry, and leave physics to him. I get English, he gets history.

The only other thing I'll say to the OP is, right now, you're setting the tone of the kind of help you'll give. If you sit down and go over every problem, it will become the expectation that you're going to do that every night. I've personally cases of parents doing their kids work for them--even, in one case, of a parent going to the school to present a project. I've had teachers tell me, "I can tell it was Child's own work." This is meant as a compliment!

Our oldest has just started to get homework and I was wondering how much folks help their kids with their homework. My better half just wants to make sure it is finished and I want to be more hands on and provide direction if it is completed incorrectly so that our kids don’t fall behind. Personally my mom always checked over my homework and helped me study until middle school and then slowly cut back.
When my kids were young, I would check the homework just to be sure it was completed. I didn't correct anything, but if there some glaring, repetitive error happening, I might say something like "you might want to look over (whatever the problem/sentence was) again" I would occasionally sit down with them and their books to see if we could find the answer (with them doing the actual looking in the book for where the answer could be found).

Until middle school. Then I just would check that it was done. I let the teachers handle fixing things.

In high school, they were on their own, unless they asked for help on specific details of things, but not the actual homework.

My 6th grader is self sufficient on his homework. I just ask him if it’s done. He’s been good about staying on top of everything.

My 3rd grader still needs help most of the time. She gets reading comprehension homework and sometimes gets stuck on answering the questions so I have to help her. I highly encourage her to do it while at the after school program and then she’ll finish it at home. We’ve had a few meltdowns about the homework.

Our kids were nine years apart. The first I absolutely corrected everything. I memorized spelling words, read for accelerated reader, quizzed on test questions. By the second I had learned my lesson. I set up study time, helped if he asked. I remember on 8th grade parents complaining about a project and notebook due and I approached the teacher. She said his had been turned in weeks before and she’d used it as an example for the rest of the kids. The child I was most hands off on ended up being the most successful. Once in high school he came to me with an issue in biology and I helped him but after that he rocked college with a double major and has handled everything on his own. I think being involved is important but allow them to fail on their own to learn that they are responsible for their successes.

I'm pretty involved in the overseeing of HW. We have a white board in the kitchen. When we get home from school, the kids write down their HW for the evening on the white board. This helps reduce the odds of "I forgot!" They also have a communication journal issued by the school and a parent has to initial that each evening. Also on the whiteboard goes a list of any upcoming tests, quizzes, or projects that are coming up in the next week or 2. I've found this to help the last minute "I have a big assignment due tomorrow! Oh my gosh!"

My ODD historically has needed more oversight than my YDD. Up through last school year (7th grade), ODD did a lot of dawdling around and wasting time. As a result, having her do her HW by herself in her room didn't work. Instead, she did it in the family room or at the kitchen table. YDD, on the other hand, cranks through it.

I think it's one of those things that can vary a lot from one family to another and from one kid to another, so you sometimes have to try a few things before you figure out something that works for your individual situation.

just want to say kudos to anyone who can help their kids with homework these days b/c all i hear from parents of younger ones is how they can't b/c of all the common core stuff that just makes zero sense to them.

p.s. when mine were younger the amount of 'help' we provided could vary depending on the individual teacher's goal with the assignments-mine had more than one teacher who wanted parents to be hands off so that they could see what the student could accomplish independently (and with one particular teacher within a specific time allocation-so whatever wasn't done w/in the allocated time was to be left that way-it was fascinating to see how their speed/skills built up over the class year).

I advise and check homework definitely through elementary school maybe middle school depending on the child. By the time high school starts they are on their own unless a specific request is made. No project doing although I can point them in the right direction, critique, or if it's one of those multi media undertakings take a child to a museum/library/etc. DGD's school sends out weekly progress reports so I know what her weak and strong subjects are.

When starting the school year I find out the curriculum from the teachers so for example the child and I know what part of history is being studied. Now I can steer the child towards taking out related biographies, visiting exhibits and the like. One of my kiddos liked this approach through middle school; the other didn't. They both did well as far as grading but one can discuss certain subjects in greater detail and the other had a "what I learned in school" mentality that he regretted upon attending college.

I help as needed. DS is in middle school and rarely needs help except occasionally for math (I had to relearn algebra last year). DD is in 4th and I will check her homework and help her study for tests & quizzes but the teacher specifically asked that parents not correct homework; if a student is struggling with something, homework is one of the best ways for her to catch it and address the issue.

If you make sure child has all the answers right, the teacher has no way of knowing which concepts he really knows and which parent "helped" with.

I think it depends on the student. I have one that I’ve never helped or looked at anything and she just gets it (11 th grade). Another one that very occasionally needs some help. And a third that has struggled a bit and had needed more help over the years. She had stayed after school countless times but I think the one on one at home made a big difference in helping her to make connections. The teachers don’t really look closely at the homework since they mostly go over a few examples in class and self correct. While this worked fine for DD2 & DD3, DD1 was missing key points and no one would notice until perhaps a test but by the time the test rolled around they were already on to the next thing and building more on what she never understood. Helping her thru some of her homework thru upper elementary and middle school was very helpful for her. By the time she was in high school she was so much more independent and staying after school when she was stuck on something was enough. She hardly asked for help throughout high school and when I asked her how things were going, she was confident in her understanding of everything. She will be graduating this year with honors which I never would have imagined during the middle school years and the struggles she was having. I think catching some of her problems early and helping her with some different resources and study strategies when she was younger made a difference for her.

DGD is 6, 1st grade, so definitely needs help with homework......to just do it and to understand it

Our kids were nine years apart. The first I absolutely corrected everything. I memorized spelling words, read for accelerated reader, quizzed on test questions. By the second I had learned my lesson. I set up study time, helped if he asked. I remember on 8th grade parents complaining about a project and notebook due and I approached the teacher. She said his had been turned in weeks before and she’d used it as an example for the rest of the kids. The child I was most hands off on ended up being the most successful. Once in high school he came to me with an issue in biology and I helped him but after that he rocked college with a double major and has handled everything on his own. I think being involved is important but allow them to fail on their own to learn that they are responsible for their successes.

The bolded, +1000!

In 5th grade, my younger DD had a big project (ironically, the same one where Mom came in to present for her DD). My DD DIDN'T READ THE RUBRIC! How do I know? Because I read it! She put in plenty of work, but got a poor grade because she was missing some required information. She actually did better on the presentation part, because she had practiced in front of her dad and I (he also read the rubric), and we asked questions on the missing information. That one poor grade in 5th grade science meant absolutely nothing to her academic career--but you can bet, she reads the rubric every time now!

I will also say that VandVsmama has a point--some kids DO need more supervision/input than others. When my older son was young, large projects would stymie him, because he wouldn't know how to break them into manageable chunks. Other kids respond well to having a certain time of day and space to do homework, maybe even having a parent sitting nearby, reading or doing their own "homework". My younger DD is the queen of flash cards, and makes up "quizzlets" before tests and quizzes--these are so popular, she gives copies to other students for review.

If you make sure child has all the answers right, the teacher has no way of knowing which concepts he really knows and which parent "helped" with.
I was going to say the same thing. I remember when my kids were really little their teachers said leave mistakes. Just for that reason. Unless it was something that you knew they knew but made a mistake.

When they were younger I would look it over. Once they go to 4th or 5th grade I stopped looking at their homework unless they asked for help. Except for 6th grade math. Every week they would get a skill sheet with 5 questions that counted as a quiz. Sometimes they would make a silly mistake like add instead of subtract. If I saw a wrong answer I would just tell them to look it over. Two wrong answers and they failed.

One of the biggest mistakes we made was in middle school, though, when they advised letting them go completely solo. One of mine was ready for that, and one wasn’t. (I have twins.) I think you have to look at strengths and weaknesses for each individual child and take it from there.

This is me vs my siblings. I wasn’t ready for no oversight with homework until about 8th grade because it never would have been completed.

I think parents are TOO involved in "helping" with school work. To the point that projects are being done by the parents not the children.

Help to me means explaining how to do to do something not making sure they have all the right answers.

Not looking to change her answers but while I still can explain to her why it is incorrect and make sure she knows how to get the correct answer. Mostly now it is telling her she wrote her numbers or letters backwards.

The only other thing I'll say to the OP is, right now, you're setting the tone of the kind of help you'll give. If you sit down and go over every problem, it will become the expectation that you're going to do that every night. I've personally cases of parents doing their kids work for them--even, in one case, of a parent going to the school to present a project. I've had teachers tell me, "I can tell it was Child's own work." This is meant as a compliment!

No way would I ever do any work for my children. I’d rather they go in incomplete and face the consequences then physically do the work for them.

I don't help or look over homework unless my kids come to me and ask for help (which has only happened a handful of times). I don't even look to see what was assigned and make sure it's completed (unless there's an issue of missing work at the mid-term). Fortunately they have all been good students and tend to get their work done on their own (now aged 13-20). There have been a few instances where they messed up, but those were good learning experiences to see how difficult (or impossible) it was to fix what their laziness or carelessness had caused.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter