• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with where to propose.

Marks281172

Mouseketeer
Hi There.. new poster here, was a member a few years back but lapsed as its been a few years since i had the chance to visit the sunshine state.. but off for 2 weeks in November so signed up to the DIS boards again :)

Im planning on proposing to my girlfriend while out there so wondered if you guys had any ideas of when/where/how.

Neither of us are particularly extrovert so I certainly dont want to be on a jumbotron screen before the Shamu show or that sort of thing but i would like it to be a special moment.

Ive been to Orlando 6 times before (first time for my gf) so have a few ideas

During Illuminations at Epcot
'New years eve' at Downtown Disney (i think this is stopped now tho?)
Osbourne Lights at Disney Studios
During Tinkerbells 'flight' at the end of the MK fireworks to coincide with the big finale.
A character meal, sneak off and give ring to staff and ask character to deliver it.

all seem pretty obvious tho, so any suggestions?

:)

Aww, lovely idea. :)

It really depends what's special to your GF.

My DF knew I loved the castle over all things Disney, so that's where he did it.

Do you think you might have a Disney wedding? One of my friends was proposed to right by the wedding pavillion on the beach, which was a lovely touch as they are now getting married there.

I know a lot of people get engaged at Sea Breeze Point, which is also lovely, and very quiet and out of the way. Or by the wishing well in MK.

I can think of so many amazing engagement spots in WDW here are some I think would be super romantic:

On a firework cruise
On the savannah overlook at AKL, right at the end where it's often just you out there.
The boat dock at GF if it's just you two there.
Narcoosees
California Grill
The animal trails in AK, great if she loves that park.
Cinderella's Royal Table
The Poly beach

It was me I'd find somewhere during wishes just because it really is magical and the whole theme of it is perfect. Maybe looking out on it at Cali grill
although I've nver been there.

Also I have heard how the cast members at cinderellas royal table will do something special for you, I think it involved putting the ring in a glass slipper maybe.

Congratulations on deciding to propose! It's obviously a really personal thing and I think it would be better if you thought of the where/when/how yourself. :) Do you want it to be a big, sweeping, romantic moment, or something a little lighter?

My thoughts on your ideas:

- I don't think proposing during a fireworks show would work, as it would be too loud and busy. The only way you could really do this is if you watched from afar, e.g. at the Poly beach.
- The character meal idea would be cute and fun but be aware that you would get a lot of attention- not ideal if you're not particularly extroverted.

The thing is, most ways of proposing are 'obvious'. I would think about what you like to do together as a couple and go from there. For example, if you're into fine dining, proposing over dinner at Victoria & Albert's would be nice. Obvious? Maybe, but it would be intimate and low-key. If you're into golf, take your girlfriend to one of the miniature golf courses and plant the ring somewhere.

Welcome back Mark :)

Yes, I'm afraid NYE is gone now from PI (actually, PI itself is pretty much non-existant now) so that's out.

Also, I couldn't say this is 100% right, but I'm 99% sure that a character won't be able to deliver your ring. Disney get funny about people 'using' their characters for that sort of thing.

You could certainly get a server in a normal restaurant to place it on a plate alongside a dessert or something perhaps - maybe even get a custom made cake or how about the white chocolate cinderella slipper? I reckon that would be romantic without being over the top and off the top of my head I think only costs about $30 to have made.

Edit: Example of the Slipper here

What about dinner at Narcoossees and whilst watching the fireworks from the balcony outside, propose then. It's such a romantic setting.

Good luck

Tina

Sounds so fun!!

My vote is to make a reservation for California Grill restaurant in the Contemporary Hotel, at the time when the fireworks are to go off, when u schedual your reservation tell the CM on the phone your plan, they will help, order a white choco slipper or a glass slipper with your names on it (from Arribas Brothers on Main St in Magic Kingdom! ) to have ring delivered in, You will get attention but its short lived! lol

Best wishes to u both!

How fabulous - I wish my hubby would've proposed at WDW but at least we got married there :)

Do you have any favourite attractions or shows? It would be quite cool to pop the question just as you make the drop on EE or Splash - but you might drop the ring ;)

For the ultimate in romance then try Cinderella's Royal Table and do the chocolate slipper thing. Or for something a little quieter head around the side of the castle and there's a gorgeous little wishing well in a rose garden where you could get down on one knee.

My boyfriend proposed to me in March at the Magic Kingdom. We watched the parade and then Wishes and when it finished he led me up to the terrace at the side of the castle which has Cinderella's wishing well on it. We both threw a coin in the well and made a wish and then he got down on one knee and presented me with the ring. It was a beautiful setting, and the castle was all lit up which made it feel even more romantic. And best of all not one person walked past the whole time we were there so it felt like we were the only people in the park.

I had no idea he was going to propose so it was a wonderful surprise and I would not change it for the world-it was the perfect setting for us. And best of all, we're getting married next year at Disney!!

Good luck to you!

One thing that immediately sprang to mind was on a Wishes cruise. These pick you up from one of the resorts of your choice (we caught ours in Wilderness Lodge after a meal at Whispering Canyon) and take you for a tour around some of the surrounding areas complete with loads of information from the pilot.
They then stop in front of MK so you get to watch the Wishes display before they take you back to the resort they picked you up from.
You would be in total privacy (apart from the pilot) but when you ring to book it you would be able to speak to a someone about what you want. They would even be able to let the pilot know what you are planning in case there is anything you would like them to do.
One final thing. You mentioned in your OP about Tinks flight at the end of Wishes but I am pretty sure that she flies down the zip line at the beginning of the show - just so you know and don't get your timings wrong :thumbsup2

I wish my hubby had thought of this for me, what a lovely idea....

You can get a Cinderella Glass Sliper, disney can organise that they have one for you at your chosen resturant, Cinderellas Royal Table would be nice and you could watch the fireworks after........

What ever you decide,Im sure it will be fab

good luck

Check out disneys top 10...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/12/top-10-proposal-ideas-at-disney/

and

http://disneyweddings.disney.go.com/engagements/walt-disney-world/detail

Aww what a lovely idea....night time...somewhere romantic...fireworks....then celebrate with a glass of champers! lol x

How lovely.

My idea would be to have a lovely meal at GF Naccoossees and then have the slipper presented with the ring on it.

Then go out for the fireworks afterwards.

Hope whatever you do it is a special time:banana:

i would suggest victoria and alberts for somewhere quiet.
where will you be staying? maybe have the ring delievered by room service with champagne under a cloche?
cinderellas royal table is the loveliest restaurant...combined with a chocolate slipper..:thumbsup2
in cinderelllas rose garden?

tbh...i wouls say where ever seems right..you may have a magical moment which happens naturally..
can we all come to teh wedding??:rotfl2:

My boyfriend proposed to me in March at the Magic Kingdom. We watched the parade and then Wishes and when it finished he led me up to the terrace at the side of the castle which has Cinderella's wishing well on it. We both threw a coin in the well and made a wish and then he got down on one knee and presented me with the ring. It was a beautiful setting, and the castle was all lit up which made it feel even more romantic. And best of all not one person walked past the whole time we were there so it felt like we were the only people in the park.

I had no idea he was going to propose so it was a wonderful surprise and I would not change it for the world-it was the perfect setting for us. And best of all, we're getting married next year at Disney!!

Good luck to you!

Wow, I have to say this one gets my vote and would be my dream come true if it happened to me :lovestruc:goodvibes. I think Wishes and Illuminations cruises are a lovely idea but have to admit I wouldn't be that surprised as quite a few people do that now and I agree that it could be a bit chaotic during the fireworks show. If it was me, I would want it to be in the Wishing Well garden (or at Cendrillon's fountain behind the castle) after Wishes when the crowds are dispersing, I imagine him saying "Lets make a wish", telling me I had to close my eyes and make a proper wish, opening my eyes and seeing him there on one knee with the ring :love: and then grabbing a hot chocolate and sitting on one of the benches staring at my ring and making wedding plans (after a load of tears, laughter and kisses lol!). A bit cheesy but.... DEFINITELY a dream come true! Aww, who am I kidding? I'm not even seeing anyone at the moment :lmao:.

Its a lovely idea for you to propose to her at WDW. Just a tip - if you can maybe find a way of going through customs separately as I've heard of a few ruined proposals where people have been pulled over for a search and the ring has been whipped out in front of the fiancee to be, totally ruining the surprise! Hope it all goes well no matter how you choose to propose and be sure to write a trip report telling us all about it :goodvibes. And Congratulations SerpentQueenClaire, if your wedding is anything like your proposal it will be just like a fairytale :goodvibes.

:wave2: Hello

my fiance proposed to me at the Cinderella Royal Table restaurant it was beautiful I loved it :lovestruc

We had a lovely meal and our server was brilliant he called me a princess through the whole meal and Dave my prince charming.

We had the best table in the restaurant with a beautiful view of fantasyland.

We had our starter and main then our server brought over a domed plate and said that my prince charming had ordered me a special course :confused3

it was my engagement ring round a rose in a glass slipper with our names on one side the date in side and happily ever after on the other side

A disney pass photographer captured the whole thing, the entire restaurant clapped and congratulated us.

We then had a special desert a chocolate slipper the best thing i have ever eaten mine said will you marry me around the side of the plate and Daves said congratulations.

We also received some champagne flutes in a box of rose petals a cupcake each from the fairy godmother our glass slipper a rose and the desert that was included in the meal

It meant so much to me that he involved disney in the way he proposed and in the castle where is better?

a picture of our glass slipper and how my ring was presented

100_1965.jpg

Thanks guys, some great ideas there.. i like the idea of the California Grill when the fireworks are on and asking for the glass slipper :)

I did wonder about getting through customs with the ring, i dont really want to put it in my checked luggage... if clothes go missing its not really a big deal, can buy some more.. but the ring going awol would be a holiday breaker.

Will be sure to do a trip report..we're taking more gadgets than Bond does on a mission so no excuse not to :)

How fabulous! :goodvibes My Fiance (still sounds very strange! :lmao:) has recently proposed to me whilst we were over in WDW and he did it in Epcot. It was very magical for us both, as Epcot is a shared favourite of ours.

As your GF has never been to WDW, I guess anywhere you do this will be amazing. As she's never been I personally would probably go for doing it somewhere in the Magic Kingdom, as this is the park everyone associates with Disney World.

You don't need to make a big thing out of it, but be aware, if you do it in an obvious spot, you'll get people watching! I don't think my DF expected it, but we ended up with a crowd of people quite happily watching and cheering! :rotfl2:

Either way, wherever you decide, I'm sure your GF will be blown away, I was - completely! It's made WDW all the more magical for us both and now we're even hoping for a Disney wedding one day :lovestruc

Just to echo what others have said - Congratulations!! I'm sure that whichever option you choose it will be a very special and exciting moment for you both!

To add in my 2p, if you don't necessarily want your proposal to be Disney themed, my DF proposed at Discovery Cove. I believe they do a number of packages for you to choose from, but we were basically in the middle of our dolphin swim when the trainers asked us to come and have a couple more photos done as they got missed. We obliged, and then the trainer took me to one side and asked me to send Cindy our dolphin away and hold my arms out waiting for a surprise. What I received was a gorgeous dolphin hurling towards me with buoy in her mouth which read "Will You Marry Me?". We were then led back onto the beach and round the corner into a secluded and beautifully decorated cabana where my ring was presented in a treaure chest surrounded by flowers, and DF got down on one knee. The cabana was VERY private - only the two of us, our guide, a photographer and the videographer. I have the whole thing on DVD from start to finish and about 100 photos documenting the whole thing. It may be a pricy option, but just throwing it out there for you - and if you do want anymore info just PM me and I'll do my best to help.

As for taking the ring through customs, I have spoken to DF and he rang the airport to make them aware of it - he was told to keep it in his hand luggage at all times. He was mainly worried that they would search his bag in front of me, so he sent me through first, even though he had called ahead to warn them.

Either way, good luck to you. Try to enjoy it because the moment goes so quickly - and please come back and let us know how it goes!!! xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter