Help with Suites....

MinnieMommyof2

Mouseketeer
Hello,

I have an upcoming trip booked 9/26-10/2 at BCR for myself, DH and 2 DDs. My MIL, FIL, SIL, and DN want to come as well, and I can tell they expected us to stay together in the same place.
oops! I assumed we would go together and stay separate.
Anyway, now I am considering looking into a large suite for us all.
Any suggestions on suites that accommodate 5 adults and 3 children where we can have separate “room” areas?
Would you instead shoot for two adjoining rooms?
Trying to figure out if it’s a money saver, and considering we won’t always be in the room at the same time, except maybe bedtime and before meals and on resort day.....

Are suites ever included in the discounts? I know nothing is predictable or certain this year, I’m just curious. We’ve only been once before and stayed at POR as a family of 4.

appreciate any pointers or info from others that have traveled with family.
Thanks!!!

You would all fit into a 2-bedroom villa or grand villa at any of the DVC resorts. Yes, sometimes they are included in discounts. If you want to stay in the EP area, I would consider either a 2-bedroom villa at BCV or, if you want more space, a 2-bedroom plus an additional studio (which would not connect). There are very few suites on property that would accommodate your group and they would, most likely, price out far higher than a DVC villa or getting separate rooms.

2 rooms will be much more affordable than a dvc 2 bedroom - where rack rates can be over $1000 per night.

Welcome to the world of WDW resort suites - where information is hard to find and deep pockets are required! :goodvibes (Just kidding... kind of)

My first comment - the cheapest way to go will be looking into 2BR+ Villa (DVC) options via points rental or cash booking through Disney. I will let others with more Villa experience chime in on those options as far as room configurations, best for large groups that can accommodate 8, etc.

WDW resort suites are rather limited and tend to come with especially harsh price tags - generally speaking. In my opinion they are meant more for a 'splurgy' trip where you just want to go all out with a unique room configuration, large room, etc, rather than legitimate options for a 'standard' WDW trip, if that makes sense.

My experience historically with resort suites booking directly with Disney has been that occasionally you'd see them at 10% off rack, but not much more. However since reopening (and since Disney opened up suites for booking) suites have been seeing discounts that match the general public and AP (if applicable) offers, of course subject to availability.

Side note - when it comes to suites, some are listed on the WDW website and some are not (you have to call to book). When Disney tweaked things a few months ago to allow suite bookings they added several of the previously "had to call" suites to the website - so there's more info/pricing/availability you can find online now than ever, which is nice. But still not every suite option is listed online.

Just for kicks, here's a rundown of some of the resort suite options that show up online that can sleep 8:

Poly - Ambassador Suite (8)
Poly - King Kamehameha Suite (8)
CR - Bay Lake View 2BR Suite (8)
CR - Theme Park View 2 BR Suite (10)
CR - Theme Park View Presidential Suite (8)
GF- Outer Bldg-2 BR Suite (8)

None of these have three separate bedrooms - just two bedrooms plus sleeper-sofa or similar in the main living room. Some have bathrooms only off the bedrooms, some have a third full bathroom off the living room.

Some suites (Poly and CR come to mind) have connecting standard rooms and/or other suites that can be booked to create larger room configurations. For example, the King K suite at Poly can be booked along with either the connecting honeymoon suite or one of the 1 BR suites, which would give you 3BRs. But that is going to be serious $$$. You probably want the help of a TA if you start going down that path.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Depending on your group make-up, how much you like each other, and your budget - my gut is separate rooms or larger villa options will be your best bet vs. a suite.

Good luck with your planning!

In regards to your adjoining room. If you want two rooms with a connecting interior door you request connecting rooms. Adjoining rooms are near each other.
Either way adjoining or connecting are only a request and no matter what a CM or anyone says they cannot be guaranteed and aren’t a bookable category.

WDW resort suites are rather limited and tend to come with especially harsh price tags - generally speaking. In my opinion they are meant more for a 'splurgy' trip where you just want to go all out with a unique room configuration, large room, etc, rather than legitimate options for a 'standard' WDW trip, if that makes sense.

This so much. We’ve rented several suites before and the price tag is so high. You’ll save no money this route. Plus, I’ve always found it difficult to even find 3 bedroom suites available (even booking super far in advance) . We’ve always settled for a 2 bedroom, but since you have 3 different “families” in your party make sure everyone is okay with the sleeping arrangements. Most people agree that kids can sleep wherever, but would an adult in your party be okay with sleeping on a pullout etc?

Renting DVC points might be an option for you, but it does have it’s downsides mostly relating to the non-refundable nature of the reservation. A lot of rentals also don’t allow changes and most (if not all) the money is due upfront. It’s just an inflexible way to travel and can be hard with groups if everyone isn’t on the same page about the realities and risks. Even then, I caution you to look up the actual sleeping arrangements, because the villas often list a much higher occupancy than number of bedrooms. Most have pull out couches or Murphy beds. Again, I think you’d need to consider if an adult would be okay with this.

If budget was a concern I would personally just get 2 or 3 separate rooms and request a connecting room. They can’t guarantee it, but they have accommodated us in the past. As long as you are booking the same room type you’ll likely be fine and this will allow you more flexibility in resorts since you won’t be limited to suite options/availability.

Wow! Thank you all so much for all of the information. I ended up modifying my reservation and went with a two bedroom villa at beach club. I also moved my dates up a week to try and avoid the anniversary crowd which I’m so happy I decided to do. It’s ended up not being a cost savings at all when splitting it 50/50 even- and might even be a little bit more than what we were paying by just having our own room at beach club, but this makes sense for us size wise and I know the rest of the family will be happy all being together.

I did not realize that so many of the larger rooms even came with stackable washers and dryer‘s!! How nice. Thanks again for all the info.

FYI the villas at Beach Club (BCV) are in a different building that sits behind the Beach Club resort. Just wanted to make sure you are clear on that.

Wow! Thank you all so much for all of the information. I ended up modifying my reservation and went with a two bedroom villa at beach club. I also moved my dates up a week to try and avoid the anniversary crowd which I’m so happy I decided to do. It’s ended up not being a cost savings at all when splitting it 50/50 even- and might even be a little bit more than what we were paying by just having our own room at beach club, but this makes sense for us size wise and I know the rest of the family will be happy all being together.

I did not realize that so many of the larger rooms even came with stackable washers and dryer‘s!! How nice. Thanks again for all the info.
If you have a dedicated two bedroom villa, you'll have one king bed, two queen beds and a queen sleeper sofa. If you booked a lockoff two bedroom villa, you'll have one king bed, one queen bed, on double sleeper sofa, one queen sleeper sofa and one bunk sized murphy bed.

Set parameters and expectations before going with pre-trip conversations. Nothing ruins a vacation more than all parties having different views of sleeping accommodations, number of meals to eat in or out, who wants to do what parks and at what times etc. etc. etc. :) I would establish a scaffold of spending on travel, rooms, meals, tours, etc. etc. Example: We are coming from three different states. Some will fly first class some will not. All will arrive within one hour and twenty minutes of each other. All will wait at airport and catch Magic Bus together. Conversation on favorite eating experiences have been had based on the decision of what park on what day etc. The best vacations we have together are when we are well planned and know who, what, where and when even though at times we do modify. The worst vacation we ever had together was "playing by ear"!!! Too many "I don't cares" to discover there were cares and then frustrations. Never again. Can't wait. PLEASE BRING THE ANNUAL PASS FOR OUT-OF-STATE travelers.

You asked about pointers for traveling with family :)
I am not sure how close your DDs are in age to your DN....but surely an extended family group means different interests and different tolerances for crowds & waiting in lines. On our family trips we do not try to stay together as a large group. A typical day for us might include starting out together for a few specific rides and then splitting up to accommodate everyone's priorities/abilities....coming back together for a TS dinner. Another scenario would have us spending a park morning together and then enjoying a TS lunch- the perfect time to discuss what things everyone wants to do (in sub groups) for the rest of the day. (Obviously my crew does not follow prepared touring plans. I make then for fun, knowing they won't be followed.)

That said, I know that a lot of dis-ers prefer to tour all together and I am sure that works well for some families. Give some thought about what might be more fun (less stressful 8-)) considering the personalities/ages in your group. Then (to piggy back on Blondie58's advice) discuss expectations...you don't want, for example, to plan to split up for some activities only to find out the other adults are disappointed by the idea and haven't thought about what activities they would like to prioritize.

Have fun!!!!

We just stayed at pop with an ajoing room it worked perfectly and we had 2bathrooms unlike some of the suites we had in mind. Of course its January and rates are low but we paid 200 + tax for the two rooms

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter