Help with SF, Monterey, Yosemite itinerary?

kkmcan

Official Mouse Fan
We want to take a driving trip next year from Tucson to see the sights of these parts of California that we've never seen before. Definitely want to see San Fran and Yosemite but also might like to go to Monterey as well.

The plan was to go thru Anaheim and stay the night there to break up the trip. We have APs so that would provide free entertainment for the afternoon and evening. Takes about 7 1/2 hours to get to DL from our house. So, how can fit all the other stops in in a week or so. We want to spend a few days at least in each place.

Is this possible and what travel route would you take?

Thanks for any info or advice!

go to anaheim then drive to yosimite. i dont know about you but i dont like the bears, if you are to stay there i wouldnt camp, i would stay at the lodge there, you will need reservations long ahead of time. if you camp stay in lower pines (alot less bears) a friend of ours stayed in upper pines left for a little bit, came back and there tent and everything they had was torn to shreds from the bears.
then do san francisco. in SF you need to ride a cable car, go down lombard street which if you dont know is the crookedest street in the world. i think driving is like 5 mph, 20 years ago i went down it at like 20mph, i was on the floor board thinking we were going to die...lol eh we were teen agers! there is coit tower, if you can make it up all those stairs it is a gorgeous view of the bay. pier 39, the wharf, union square, alcatraz (if they are still doing tours) so much to do so little time. i would say at least 2 days in SF.

I agree with the previous poster - go to Yosemite from Anaheim, then on to San Francisco - maybe hit Monterey (if you have time) on the way home. It's going to take you a couple days to drive home - unless you just decide to do it as one *really* long day.

If you want to stay IN the valley, you need to make reservations a year and a day in advance. Unless you don't mind staying in the tent cabins at Curry Village. But if you want anything with a private bathroom (unless you can afford the Ahwahnee at almost $500/night!) you need to make your reservations that far in advance. People *do* cancel, so you can sometimes pick up reservations at the Lodge if you keep trying (they have an on-line reservation system). I just made our reservations for next May/June!

If you can't get into the Valley, there are accommodations outside - you just end up driving into the valley. Cedar Lodge in El Portal is a decent place to stay, and I think it's about 40 minutes to the Valley from there. There's also homes you can rent near Wawona - which have the advantage of having a full kitchen - something that you need since there's not much in the way of restaurants in that area! Those are more like an hour away from the Valley, but they are close to the Mariposa Sequoia grove. Here's their web page: http://www.redwoodsinyosemite.com/

The latter two you don't have to book so far in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter