Help with roller coasters at Universal

Cruella 66

DIS Veteran
We are going to Universal for the first time this July. I don't mind roller coasters with little drops or that go fast and twist. I HATE large drops and going upside down. The biggest drop I can tolerate, occasionally, is Mt. Everest at Animal Kingdom which is 80'. I don't mind 4-D rides or rides like Star Tours. Can Universal veteran's tell me which rides I should avoid? TIA!!!

I would avoid Hulk & Rip Ride Rockit. Hulk goes upside down and RRR climbs straight up(like you're on your back!) and then drops!! I love The Mummy! It goes backwards- but only a little! I don't like Everest- the backwards is way too long for me!

I try to be brave as I almost always have a blast on every roller coaster. But, I chickened out at first on RRR. I let ds1 ride solo once while I worked up my nerve. That first climb is scary but the rest is so easy! I don't know, I'd encourage you to also be brave. None of the rides will kill you and you just might find you can handle more than you thought! :)
Don't miss the Mummy!

The first time I went on The Mummy I was so afraid that I didn't enjoy it! After the second time though- I loved it and it's my favorite coaster in Universal and Disney!

I always call The Mummy a good gateway coaster. Im sure you will want to try one of The Hulk or RRR.

The Hulk is actually probably easier. It shoots you fast out of a tunnel. There is just a lot of twisting and turning. It is not as scary as it looks from the outside.

Agree that the Hulk and RRR are the ones you should avoid. The Mummy is questionable for someone who's not a coaster fan, but if you can tolerate Everest, you'd be fine on the Mummy. It's even a slower pace than Everest as it stops/starts a few times throughout the ride.

Someone told me the dinosaur water ride is really scary with a big drop. Who has been on it? How does it compare to Splash?

JP isn't terribly scary. The first half is a slow boat ride outdoors with moving herbivore dinosaurs like stegosaurus looking at you or poking up out of the water. You might get a little splash of water, nothing bad. When you detour into the compound, it's dark (cooler, yay) and as you go up a steep hill you hear and see menacing raptors nearby. At the top the boat goes down a gentle slope, turns the corner and several dilophosaurs are on either side of you. They hiss and spit at the boat (just harmless water). You then head around to the big drop but just before, the T-Rex shows up in front of you (not any scarier than the Dinosaur ride at AK as I recall) Of course most people are screaming at the T-rex and miss the fact that you escape by sliding out the building down the ramp, so it can be a big surprise sometimes. The drop is steep, but it is similar to Splash, it's over before you know it, and you get wet, sometimes a little, sometimes a decent amount. It actually feels good on a warm Florida day to cool off that way! After you've gone on it a few times, try it at night, it's awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter